Child Seats

Is there anywhere on the island where child restraining seats/safety straps can be purchased?

Thanks.

The 2 storey "shopping centre" - Samui Mart I think it is called, in Nathon on the one way south end just before it turns back onto the beach road. On the second storey there is a childrens area and they have seats and booster seats.

Is there anywhere on the island where child restraining seats/safety straps can be purchased?

Thanks.

The 2 storey "shopping centre" - Samui Mart I think it is called, in Nathon on the one way south end just before it turns back onto the beach road. On the second storey there is a childrens area and they have seats and booster seats.

Many thanks. I will check it out.

Cheers Gator

Agree.

They have some at Tesco Lotus too but if you want better quality you should go to the shop in Nathon.

The shop in Nathon sells european brands and most of them are controlled according to european standard. Since they are imported they are a bit more expensive.

The last one we bought is for up to 14kg and it costed 3500 baht. Every time we have been there, there has been some campaign with 20% discount.

Perhaps we are lucky but I hope it is still running when you get there. :o

Hope you find a good chair for your baby.

Take care!

/comehome :D

Agree.

They have some at Tesco Lotus too but if you want better quality you should go to the shop in Nathon.

The shop in Nathon sells european brands and most of them are controlled according to european standard. Since they are imported they are a bit more expensive.

The last one we bought is for up to 14kg and it costed 3500 baht. Every time we have been there, there has been some campaign with 20% discount.

Perhaps we are lucky but I hope it is still running when you get there. :o

Hope you find a good chair for your baby.

Take care!

/comehome :D

Thanks! I looked in Tesco but couldn't see them. Will try the Nathon shop.

I would have never thought they sell child seats on Samui. Since only farang would ever buy one, I can see why they would be so expensive.

My (Thai) mother in law bought ours before i even thought about it myself. And most of our thai neighbours with children have one. You´d be surpriced howmany even of the really cheap thai restaurants that have one aswell. For customers. I got the oppinion there just as common for thais as they are for us. Is that wrong? :o

I would have never thought they sell child seats on Samui. Since only farang would ever buy one, I can see why they would be so expensive.

My (Thai) mother in law bought ours before i even thought about it myself. And most of our thai neighbours with children have one. You´d be surpriced howmany even of the really cheap thai restaurants that have one aswell. For customers. I got the oppinion there just as common for thais as they are for us. Is that wrong? :o

I don't usually give such a definitive answer but here I will... YES, you are wrong. Thais have no problem riding around on motorbikes holding onto the their infant or small child with one hand and the bike with the other, but when they get in their car or truck, they are all of a sudden concerned enough about their child's safety to go out and buy an expensive child seat? No, they don't. A small minority might but not in the numbers westerners do. I have seen plenty of Thai children riding in the front seat of cars & trucks while being held in momma's lap. Some even the child of poster's of this forum. In my home country, it is illegal if a child under 5 isn't in a seat. What are the laws (yeah, I know, ROTFLMAO) around here?

I don't usually give such a definitive answer but here I will... YES, you are wrong. Thais have no problem riding around on motorbikes holding onto the their infant or small child with one hand and the bike with the other, but when they get in their car or truck, they are all of a sudden concerned enough about their child's safety to go out and buy an expensive child seat? No, they don't. A small minority might but not in the numbers westerners do. I have seen plenty of Thai children riding in the front seat of cars & trucks while being held in momma's lap. Some even the child of poster's of this forum. In my home country, it is illegal if a child under 5 isn't in a seat. What are the laws (yeah, I know, ROTFLMAO) around here?

Ohh, child seat for cars. Missunderstood, sorry.

I bought mne in tesco a year ago. 6000 baht.

Our girl is 1,5 years old and when we first bought one all my friends thought it was strange but they also understood that it is a good thing to have.

About thai mother-in-laws:

From the women I know of the elder generation, they still think that the child should sit with its mother so that the mother can protect them!

Well....for those who were interested I told the story about the "elephants in the back seat" again...I mean how even small, not heavy persons will suddenly become VERY heavy in a car accident and that an adult sure isn´t sufficient protection for an infant in an accident.

I don´t know if they understood it but I hope that they will, some day and WITHOUT having to find out about it from experience.

Take care!

/comehome :o