Conversational English Classes For A Thai Person

cmsally

Was asked this today by a Thai person and haven't got a clue. They have it seems already done the rounds of all the schools which have a more grammar based approach for students.

This is for a Thai person in their 30's who wants to study conversational English starting from very basic level.

I haven't got a clue where they could go, so thought I would ask if anyone knows on here.

I think what they have in mind is studying with a native speaker one on one or in a group of similar age level.

Hello cmsally,

Although more expensive, I definitely recommend one on one course. The best way to improve fast.

I'm sure that on this forum or City Life and Chiang Mail Mail classified, you can find plenty of excellent well qualified native-speakers willing to teach private :o

PS : How is going the "fight" against the Pharaonic project of our beloved Municipality ?

Hello cmsally,

Although more expensive, I definitely recommend one on one course. The best way to improve fast.

I'm sure that on this forum or City Life and Chiang Mail Mail classified, you can find plenty of excellent well qualified native-speakers willing to teach private :D

PS : How is going the "fight" against the Pharaonic project of our beloved Municipality ?

Thanks for the suggestions. I will tell her to check out the AUA and if that doesn't suit to place an advert.

I think her level is pretty basic and she is planning to go to Aus. next year, so maybe an Aussie accent would be good. :o

Strange with the drop in the Aussie $ I seem to be meeting multiple Thais planning to go there!

Ah the Pharaonic inner city freeway project. Quite frankly can't see it happening unless they want to forcibly evict all the Chiang Mai citizens to another province. I would say it has stoked up anti Bangkok sentiment somewhat though. Which pretty much shows where this project eminates from, as local officials seem to know nothing , it appears to be above their heads.

Was asked this today by a Thai person and haven't got a clue. They have it seems already done the rounds of all the schools which have a more grammar based approach for students.

This is for a Thai person in their 30's who wants to study conversational English starting from very basic level.

I haven't got a clue where they could go, so thought I would ask if anyone knows on here.

I think what they have in mind is studying with a native speaker one on one or in a group of similar age level.

I hate to say it, but probably the best quality available in chiang mai is at the british council. But even then the word 'quality' needs qualifying, it will depend on the luck of the draw as to which teacher one gets there. (i don't work there)

But in general, due to the shoddy salaries and hourly rates, this town is not good at all for getting quality english language lessons.

I will also disagree with the poster who reckoned one on one was the best way to go. Not only is it much more expensive, but it's bloody hard work for the teacher, and has problems related to keeping the interest level up.

The most effective way to learn and practise communicative english is in classes, probably in the region of 6 to 12 students, and where the teacher includes plenty of pair and group work. This is even more so with lower level students.

I will also disagree with the poster who reckoned one on one was the best way to go. Not only is it much more expensive, but it's bloody hard work for the teacher, and has problems related to keeping the interest level up.

The most effective way to learn and practise communicative English is in classes, probably in the region of 6 to 12 students, and where the teacher includes plenty of pair and group work. This is even more so with lower level students.

Agreed.

Small classes are more interesting and sometimes even fun. :o

Agreed.

Small classes are more interesting and sometimes even fun. :o

It's just a pity that it is 'sometimes' and not 'frequently'. All english classes should be fun. Incidentally, even classes up to say 20 or 25 students can be a lot of fun, it just depends on the classroom management skills of the teacher, not to mention their own personality.