Speaking Thai

crazymonk

Many Farang do not speak much Thai if any at all. I wonder how the Thai people would change if you could speak to them with a good grasp of their language. I speak a bit but not anywhere close to enough to be truely useful.

I know in America many of the asian communities have large numbers of people that have lived in America for many many years but they never learned to speak English. These people never become a part of the larger community. They keep to their own. When I do have to deal with them I make it as short as possible because it is just not easy to talk to them.

Is there anybody out there that has experianced fist hand how the Thai's behavior has changed after learning Thai well.

I personally think it is essential to learn the language on a whole range of fronts.

There is the whole pratical issue of going about your daily buisiness and beyond that the need to be indeipendent and not rely on another persons interpretation/control.

Then there is the fact that speaking Thai opens doors (Speaking the right Thai that is).

Thailand is a class based society and it is important that your use of language is respectful and correct. Polite Central Thai will be far more readily accepted that 'Isaarn' no matter how polite the Isaarn is.

It is a common for foreigners to pick up language and expressions that slam doors shut.

What is often not recognised is that as foreingers we are very often introduced to people who are higher up the social ladder than ordinary Thais will meet. For example, if you stay in a good hotel and meet Thais who are also staying there, the chances are they will be farely high up the Thai ladder. Get into a converstation and respond with 'Alai Wa?', and you might find your ne found Thai friends suddenly retiring to their room.

On another level the language and the way Thais use the language gives an isight into ways of thinking and values that I don't believe is accecible by any other means.

And finaly there is respect, respect of your hosts. Learing Thai demonstrates a respect for Thais and their language/culture, that respect does not go un rewarded.

I think that learning Thai is important as well, but boy have i had problems with it. Years ago i could get buy a bit in Japanese and also Chinese but for some reason I really have a problem with Thai. I don't hear the sounds correctly or something or i can't distinguish between Northern or Central dialects. It's very frustrating at times but i plug along at it and hopefully will be able to read, write and speak at least to a basic level before too long...

I think to make any sort of life for yourself outside of the main tourist areas speaking thai is esensial. If you dont make the effort, you end up totaly reliant on your partner, you cant make any friends, what sort of life is that!!

My spoken thai is ok but I'm a long way from fluent, but its good enough for me to sit down with a few mates and understand most of the conversation. Fortunatly here they speak central thai (cos its in the center :o) I'm not sure about this opening doors thing is really that relivent, as long as you speak and act politly you will have few problems.

Essential if you want to live here, and not be "just another tourist".

The Thai's will appreciate your efforts, even if you are not fluent.

Make sure you learn good Thai, not the bar version!!

I speak passable Thai and have found the locals appreciate the fact I try to speak their language. A while back I walked into a shop I had never visited before, and heard one of the staff make a worried comment that a Farang had arrived and they didn’t know how to speak with me.

The owner, who I’d never met before, replied to that staff member that I could speak Thai and then proceeded to have a nice conversation in Thai with me. Word soon gets around town. I’ve been shopping in Macro a fair distance from where I stay and people there have known who I am.

I don’t ask for discounts at most places now as I am mostly offered goods at local prices.

On the rare occasions when I hear a comment in a shop that I should be charged Farang prices, I simply turn to that person and make a nice comment in Thai that I think I should be charged the same price that everyone else does. That soon shuts that person up. I also make sure I don’t visit that shop again.

My experience says it is definitely worth trying to speak the local language. I just wish I could figure out the writing and reading part. :o

NL

I think it depends a lot on your circumstances and your life style: IF you come here to retire and live the retired expat life, you can do quite nicely with only knowing some basic thai e.g greetings, numbers etc, especially if you have a thai partner/wife. But, if you are here to work or start a business, i would say it is extremely useful, as it allows you to network and get contacts.

RC,  Even when I've just been travelling around, being able to communicate has got me some pretty useful contacts and also into some memorable situations which I would never have got into with out my language skills.

I see where you're coming from though.

Then there is the fact that speaking Thai opens doors (Speaking the right Thai that is).

Thailand is a class based society and it is important that your use of language is respectful and correct. Polite Central Thai will be far more readily accepted that 'Isaarn' no matter how polite the Isaarn is..........

What is often not recognised is that as foreingers we are very often introduced to people who are higher up the social ladder than ordinary Thais will meet. For example, if you stay in a good hotel and meet Thais who are also staying there, the chances are they will be farely high up the Thai ladder. Get into a converstation and respond with 'Alai Wa?', and you might find your ne found Thai friends suddenly retiring to their room.

from gusethouse

Actually it was guest house that brought it up, and you just agreed, I might of got the wrong end of the stick, that someone was saying that if you speak "formal thai" it would "open doors", yes I agree in a buissiness sence, but for just traveling around, going to the shops, having a few beers ect it does not really matter that much as long as you are polite.

I've got a welsh accent, it a bit like saying that back home I should of learn't "propper english" as it would open more doors (which unfortunatly is sometimes true) and could expect people in high class hotels to snub me for having a regional accent, which would'nt really bother me as people like that I dont really want to know anyway. Saying that if your livelyhood depends on dealing with people like that, then yes it can open more doors

Actually it was guest house that brought it up, and you just agreed, I might of got the wrong end of the stick, that someone was saying that if you speak "formal thai" it would "open doors", yes I agree in a buissiness sence, but for just traveling around, going to the shops, having a few beers ect it does not really matter that much as long as you are polite.
I agree totally.
I've got a welsh accent, it a bit like saying that back home I should of learn't "propper english" as it would open more doors (which unfortunatly is sometimes true) and could expect people in high class hotels to snub me for having a regional accent, which would'nt really bother me as people like that I dont really want to know anyway. Saying that if your livelyhood depends on dealing with people like that, then yes it can open more doors

I have a broad Lancashire accent and have had to tone it down on a good few times in the past so I agree again that how you sound is a big factor especially in the class concious UK! As you say, for a Westerner in Thailand, keeping it polite is the best way.

Thailand is a class based society and it is important that your use of language is respectful and correct. Polite Central Thai will be far more readily accepted that 'Isaarn' no matter how polite the Isaarn is.

I find that in speaking Isaarnese is much more accepted in Isaarn than speaking Central Thai. The only people I have come against where this isn't the case is the Chinese, who, in the most case, I couldn't give a shit what they think.

I find reading and writing easier than speaking, epecially reading. Sit down and learn a few letters, no need to worry about them all. If you can speak a little thai you start recognising words and the initial effort pays off in no time, a year or so for me.

I am amazed at the number of guys I know who have lived in Thailand with Thai wives/girlfriends for 10 years plus who don't speak Thai.

I try to imagine what I would have felt if I were living in the UK and met some Thais who had been living there for years and couldn't speak a word of English.

I wouldn't have a very high view of them.

I wouldn't say speaking Thai opens doors, but not speaking it closes doors.

Edited by Neeranam

It would be nice to learn the language to a degree of fluency. Yet it is so tonally difficult, I know enough to get by to ask for this or that or express an opinion. Though I don't feel that I making as much progress as I would like. Next year I will try and learn how to read the script, I wonder if this would help?

It would be nice to learn the language to a degree of fluency. Yet it is so tonally difficult, I know enough to get by to ask for this or that or express an opinion. Though I don't feel that I making as much progress as I would like. Next year I will try and learn how to read the script, I wonder if this would help?

I have what I call a survival level of Thai. I know just enough to get myself understood most of the time. But even learning new words every week doesn't seem to improve my skills as I find that I tend to forget words that I don't use often. So my Thai seems to be permanantly stuck at the same level all the time. :o

I did learn the script to a certain extent and find that if I know a word, I can also read it. It certainly does help and it came in handy especially for me when riding the BKK buses around town. The buses destination placards are all in Thai and so when a bus came along I was able to slowly read if my destination was on it or not. Even if it was, by the time I'd found my destination amongst all the others the bus would be moving off. :D But no problem. I just made a note of the number then get the next one that came along. :D

Knowing the script is essential if you are going to be serious about learning Thai.

Gazza, when learning any language we hit plateaus where we feel we aren't getting any better. I bet you'd be surprised at how much you actually do know but just don't realise it.

Does that make sense!!?? Hope it does but its Sunday......

Knowing the script is essential if you are going to be serious about learning Thai.

Does that make sense!!?? Hope it does but its Sunday......

Makes all the sense in the world and learning the script is not difficult. It just takes time and motivation. One of the easiest ways is to just make up some small cards or something like that and then keep them with you. Then anytime there is a spare minute (e.g., sitting on the can, etc.) pull out the cards and go through them a couple of times.

I live in an area largely populated by rural Thais (yes, it is a tourist area but only a very small percentage of the local population deals with them), if I spoke formal Thai here I would be considered a snob. I speak the local dialect, and barely any central Thai. But, since I live in the South and only travel to Bangkok once or twice a year (usually to just get on the plane and go home), my lack of Central Thai does not hinder me. And, in my life here, my southern accent helps me quite a bit. I rarely have issues over prices (even when my husband isn't around) and find people praise the fact I speak southern Thai.

What kind of Thai you speak depends on what you do, where you live. I interact with my husband's relatives, friends and neighbors not business associates or hi so Thais. Formal Thai would get me nowhere.

What kind of Thai you speak depends on what you do, where you live.

I have to agree. My wife and all her friends and family speak Northern when they are together or on the phone. Although i think Central is probably good for bussines and dealing with the government in every day use Northern would be more use to me. Even when we were married at the amphoe in Phayao they used Nothern Thai and English.

We have good friends here in Canada from Issan and the South and when they get together they speak all four dielects at once - it is most confusing...LOL