Are Pattaya's Foreigners Worst Than In Other Cities ?

Geroc

For the people with short fuses, or those who are normally rude it can be frustrating dealing with shop people who are themselves often embarrassed by their lack of command of the English language. But then I am often puzzled by what some English people say myself!

So, I think we should all spend one day a week teaching English to the locals when on holiday in LOS. Every little bit helps!

Long Term expats have an obligation to learn Thai. Too many ugly Westerners here. I have

noticed this is especially true of Europeans..they seem to think bnecause they have learned

passable English everyone else must speak it too. I am surprised

at how many good Americans I have met who have at least

made a serious effort to learn Thai.

How many shop keepers in Canada speak German or Japanese? (the two traditional

big tourist groups in Canada)

[quote name='APMann' date=

(Transubstantiation has a lot to answer for),

.(quote]

How very true. Did you know that 8 years after the split with Rome, Henry VIII instituted the death penalty for anybody who denied the doctrine of transubstantiation. And nowadays it is "common knowledge" that Henry VIII was a protestant. Try explaining the truth that he had a dispute with the pope, but not with popery, and that he examined protestant theology but never acepted it and you get the same response as the Monty Python yorkshireman "they won't believe you".

Haven't been to Pattaya in about 15 years. But from reading the papers and TV I have vision of what it might be like.

Pattaya is best for

Jumping off of tall buildings.

Bar fights.

Muggings.

Meeting a virgin bar girl.

Bad developments.

Rude farangs.

Nasty locals.

Getting drunk.

Interesting nightlife.

Getting laid.

Getting ripped off.

Gay Partners.

Dirty Beaches.

:o

The above is my impressions, mostly from the post on TV. I'm I very far off? :D

That little list sums it up quite nicely.. :D

Whilst many non-Pattayans can rightly find much to be sniffed at here, the fact is it is easy to live a high quality life in Pattaya, and I do.

But I also enjoy going into town once a week on Walking Street for English football, to see friends, and have a few beers. The people watching is also excellent down there, and many of the bars are fun if you are in the right mood, for about 46 weeks of the year.

BUT I absolutely hate living in Pattaya and going into Walking Street in the weeks leading to, and over Christmas and New year, on account of the quality of the high season <snip> which washes up in the city.

Last night I was out and saw the scummiest pieces of <snip> I have seen in a long while. We walked into a bar where there had just been a big English/Irish fight (Transubstantiation has a lot to answer for), and then we walked into another bar where three paralytically drunk young Londoners were sexually assaulting the waitresses, even when the girls objected to being so badly assaulted. It was seedy, disgusting and disturbing.

My visit there last night made me realise we are coming into high season again, and I will now stop going into Walking Street until the middle of January. It's just not pleasant, and it's not fun.

Im really amazed, what would the english and irish have to fight about?.

(Transubstantiation has a lot to answer for),

.(quote]

How very true. Did you know that 8 years after the split with Rome, Henry VIII instituted the death penalty for anybody who denied the doctrine of transubstantiation. And nowadays it is "common knowledge" that Henry VIII was a protestant. Try explaining the truth that he had a dispute with the pope, but not with popery, and that he examined protestant theology but never acepted it and you get the same response as the Monty Python yorkshireman "they won't believe you".

It was the Pope in return for Henry's earlier support, bestowed on him "Defender of the Faith". A title the present Queen of England has in her title.

Try telling someone the Head of the Church of England uses a Roman Catholic Title/Honour...............They won't believe you

Edited by tmd5855

I'd say Pattaya has higher concentration of "lower" quality foreigners AND locals

that's maybe because they can feel normal at last, certainly this town has a high percentage of balcony jumpers. I was reading news a few days ago of a 58 yrs old man who fell down the soi. This is sad really, people losing it totally after a few years. Wonder who'd be next to hit the pavement. You should see how Thai grimace when Pattaya name is mentioned.

The coolest cities in the world have a high suicide rate. Notably San Francisco. The high percentage of extreme people keeps things interesting. I love Pattaya and if you don't like it, you know how not to get here ...

It is true, I have seen hiso Thais grimace when you mention Pattaya. So what?

Edited by Jingthing

It is true, I have seen hiso Thais grimace when you mention Pattaya. So what?

if you can't work it out than you're beyond hope. Interesting you mentioned San Francisco as place popular with balcony jumpers. Pattaya is a fun place, with loads going for it, shame it attracts such high rate of misfits and conceited morons. Thailand and Thai, could do w/o them.

Ahh, Pattaya. What would ThaiVisa be without a place to demonize?

ThaiVisa has nothing to do with demonizing that place. It is demonized. It just seems like every topic about that place has something to do with suicide, assault, murder, robbery, etc. Chaing Mai, and other city-specific forums, rarely have demonic topics. It would be interesting to see just where ThaiVisa would be without that places forum.

Shotime, you repeatedly add grist to the mill on the Pattaya doom & gloom stories with negative one-liners and non-sequiturs after any negative story like 'only in Pattaya' and 'where the dregs of society meet'.

What is behind your morbid fascination with the bad news from Pattaya?

Are you really in Bangkok (now I remember the PM I sent you ages ago)?

Do you visit or have you ever been to Pattaya?

If so, did you indulge in the less salubrious activities that Pattaya is renowned for?

Do you post anything on the Chiang Mai and other city-specific forums?

I was in department store in the morning late yesterday. A tall and big guy was rudely pushing his trolley in the supermarket, annoying some other customers. We have been at the cashier in the same time. He was throwing noisily big boxes of beer in his trolley, moaning against the small cashier who can’t carry easily the big packs of beer….

Ten minutes later, a car hooted me aggressively, wanting to use the wrong lane for passing a few cars at red light… The driver had his big red stupid face at the window… Yes, he was the same guy.

A farang in my estate has bought several houses for renting out and his customers are European people in holiday. Because they are in holiday, they imagine they are alone on earth and shout, drink all the night. They definitively ignore other people living there.

Of course, my farang doesn’t care. Money first.

For lunch, I was in the cafeteria of a dept store. A furious farang was howling against the waitress: "why are you working here if you can't speak English...?"

The guy had a terrific problem. He wanted ONLY half a glass of ice, and she had put a bit more.

I'm farang living in Thailand and often, I'm not proud of us.

Recently there was a thread somewhere on Thai Visa about "why do expats ignore other expats?"

I think this answers the question quite tidily.

• 2 weeks later...

:o

I was in department store in the morning late yesterday. A tall and big guy was rudely pushing his trolley in the supermarket, annoying some other customers. We have been at the cashier in the same time. He was throwing noisily big boxes of beer in his trolley, moaning against the small cashier who can’t carry easily the big packs of beer….

Ten minutes later, a car hooted me aggressively, wanting to use the wrong lane for passing a few cars at red light… The driver had his big red stupid face at the window… Yes, he was the same guy.

A farang in my estate has bought several houses for renting out and his customers are European people in holiday. Because they are in holiday, they imagine they are alone on earth and shout, drink all the night. They definitively ignore other people living there.

Of course, my farang doesn’t care. Money first.

For lunch, I was in the cafeteria of a dept store. A furious farang was howling against the waitress: "why are you working here if you can't speak English...?"

The guy had a terrific problem. He wanted ONLY half a glass of ice, and she had put a bit more.

I'm farang living in Thailand and often, I'm not proud of us.

Recently there was a thread somewhere on Thai Visa about "why do expats ignore other expats?"

I think this answers the question quite tidily.

Prior to the United States military turning Pattaya into a big whorehouse, it was a charming fishing village. Now it attracts the very worst ignorant derelicts that the western world has to offer. Thai immigration should have an I.Q. test and everyone who scores less than normal should be put back on the airplane to America, Germany, Holland, Romania and the United Kingdom where most of them come from. They are the worst possible examples of civilized human beings. They represent the most persuasive reason for condoms (that their parents failed to wear).

Prior to the United States military turning Pattaya into a big whorehouse, it was a charming fishing village. Now it attracts the very worst ignorant derelicts that the western world has to offer. Thai immigration should have an I.Q. test and everyone who scores less than normal should be put back on the airplane to America, Germany, Holland, Romania and the United Kingdom where most of them come from. They are the worst possible examples of civilized human beings. They represent the most persuasive reason for condoms (that their parents failed to wear).

Redrafted for you:

Thai Visa forums sometimes attract the very worst ignorant derelicts that the western world has to offer. Thai Visa should have an I.Q. test and everyone who scores less than normal should be put banned from posting inflammatory, fatuous rubbish. Such idiotic posters are the worst possible examples of civilized human beings. They represent the most persuasive reason for condoms (that their parents failed to wear).

Does that work better?

Redrafted for you:

Thai Visa forums sometimes attract the very worst ignorant derelicts that the western world has to offer. Thai Visa should have an I.Q. test and everyone who scores less than normal should be put banned from posting inflammatory, fatuous rubbish. Such idiotic posters are the worst possible examples of civilized human beings. They represent the most persuasive reason for condoms (that their parents failed to wear).

Does that work better?

Nice.... :o

Yes, we are VERY bad! Stay away! (We like the quiet for a change.)

Jingting, obviously you're living in or near Pattaya too, as I do.

Over the last 5 years I tried to feel comfortable near Chonburi City and Bang Saen, but in one way or another I was always attracted back to Pattaya.

For me, Pattaya is my home town. I'm a resident here and not a holiday maker. Approx. 80% of the population is here on a temporary base, and stay in a place that they would never call their home. OK, I do have a job in Thailand and commute on a daily base between Chonburi and Pattaya. After arriving at home in the evening, I close the curtains, turn on the aircon, and enjoy my place not knowing what happens 'out there'.

For me it's not the bars, but the convenience of this 24/7 city with its malls, hospitals, restaurants, evening life, beaches and it's never decreasing number of people who can be watched at while sitting on a nice and quiet terrace with a cool drink.

Oh sure, there are things that annoy me big time, but they're caused by farangs as well as other nationalities, but if there's nothing left to get annoyed about, life will be really boring.

To compare the behavior of the holiday maker in Pattaya, with a small town in Germany: I used to be a resort-manager in Willingen (HSK) in Germany. There were some seasons in which the numerous German Clubs (football clubs, poker clubs, bar clubs, swim clubs, car clubs, motor clubs.........the German loves clubs) came to this town to party in one way or the other. 2 Times per year (approx. 4 weeks each time) the town was occupied by mainly annoying, drunk and a-social behaving men and women. A bit like Pattaya, but than a lot smaller and of course.........only Germans. The link between Pattaya and this small town is mainly the behavior of the temporary inhabitants..............a-social, drunk, trouble making and annoying.

Of course not ALL holiday makers are the same, but the majority is as described above, spoiling the fun for the others.

Whilst many non-Pattayans can rightly find much to be sniffed at here, the fact is it is easy to live a high quality life in Pattaya, and I do.

But I also enjoy going into town once a week on Walking Street for English football, to see friends, and have a few beers. The people watching is also excellent down there, and many of the bars are fun if you are in the right mood, for about 46 weeks of the year.

BUT I absolutely hate living in Pattaya and going into Walking Street in the weeks leading to, and over Christmas and New year, on account of the quality of the high season <snip> which washes up in the city.

Last night I was out and saw the scummiest pieces of <snip> I have seen in a long while. We walked into a bar where there had just been a big English/Irish fight (Transubstantiation has a lot to answer for), and then we walked into another bar where three paralytically drunk young Londoners were sexually assaulting the waitresses, even when the girls objected to being so badly assaulted. It was seedy, disgusting and disturbing.

My visit there last night made me realise we are coming into high season again, and I will now stop going into Walking Street until the middle of January. It's just not pleasant, and it's not fun.

Im really amazed, what would the english and irish have to fight about?.

Try serving a paddy with a warm guinness ! :o

Ahh, Pattaya. What would ThaiVisa be without a place to demonize?

ThaiVisa has nothing to do with demonizing that place. It is demonized. It just seems like every topic about that place has something to do with suicide, assault, murder, robbery, etc. Chaing Mai, and other city-specific forums, rarely have demonic topics. It would be interesting to see just where ThaiVisa would be without that places forum.

Shotime, you repeatedly add grist to the mill on the Pattaya doom & gloom stories with negative one-liners and non-sequiturs after any negative story like 'only in Pattaya' and 'where the dregs of society meet'.

What is behind your morbid fascination with the bad news from Pattaya?

Are you really in Bangkok (now I remember the PM I sent you ages ago)?

Do you visit or have you ever been to Pattaya?

If so, did you indulge in the less salubrious activities that Pattaya is renowned for?

Do you post anything on the Chiang Mai and other city-specific forums?

Hes probably not allowed there,. :o .everyone knows its a party town not to be taken seriously, of course there are horror stories off rip offs etc, but no different from any other seedy city, its just that this is a thai forum and pattaya takes a load of mostly undeserved stick,. the thais view pattaya like they view katoeys, with somewhat humour and a strange interest,.these people critisising pattaya have also probably never been to vegas/soho/ either, afraid they may like it ! :D

Is this your way of telling us that opinionated @ssholes go somewhere else ?,. if so keep the location to yourself :o ....