Suvarnabhumi Airport Cancels All Flights As Protesters Surge Into Terminal

george

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So planes are taking off again. According to that updated status page one left for Singapore not too long ago and most flights for today aren't canceled. Is this all kicking off as we speak? (the army taking back the airport).

One poster reported that his airline told him his flight on the 28th will not be affected. That's pretty confident, I thought, given the circumstances, but if there have been flights out this morning, who knows?

My wife and I are flying on the 1st. I think we will be ok, as this can't continue for long, but it's more hope than anything!

I can see the usually see the planes taking off and landing from my balcony. Haven't seen any up to now. Maybe I was in the bathroom when the Singapore flight took off :o I'm looking constantly because I have a flight out due on Sunday.

3K 512 Jetstar Asia (SIN) Singapore 09:15 AM En Route

SQ 973 Singapore Airlines (SIN) Singapore 11:15 AM estimated_icon.gif Scheduled

ontime_icon.gifOn-time

Hmm...

Managed to rebook "cancelled" Thai flight to next week for my father without any fees.

Went to immigration and had the permit to stay extendeed 1 week at the normal fee of 1900 Baht.

After 1 week he have to leave Thailand.

Guess some bus companies are going to do good money if the airport stay closed for a week when everybody need to go over the border.

I spoke with a friend last night who is a physician at Bumrungrad. They were urgently awaiting some sort of perishable chemotherapy medicines that were couriered from the USA day before yesterday. Needless to say, it won't be arriving and his patient lies dying in hospital.

This is going far beyond loss of tourists and failing businesses when seriously sick people begin dying because of PAD's actions.

They could land in Viet Nam or Cambodia and helicopter it in to Bumrungrad's roof,

or land at a Thai Military airport. There are ways and there are ways.

There is no shortage of airports if there is an true emergency.

It does suck for sure.

Perhaps those that appear to be going to Singapore as per usual.

I get this feeling that the army is moving in right now as we speak to remove the protesters. It certainly seems the mood has changed and that airlines are confident a resolution is in progress (are they actually in the loop or something? that would surprise me!)

What gives you this feeling?

I get this feeling that the army is moving in right now as we speak to remove the protesters. It certainly seems the mood has changed and that airlines are confident a resolution is in progress (are they actually in the loop or something? that would surprise me!)

What gives you this feeling?

The reports of readying tanks, and soldiers with M16s going to Suvarnabhumi. That and airlines being more confident in responding to passengers inquiries about their upcoming flights.

Plus people reporting they've seen and heard flights from Suvarnabhumi and that updated status page earlier showing at least one flight had left this morning for Singapore.

War room set up to monitor airport's situation

Minister of Transport Mr. Santi Promphat ordered an establishment of a war room on Wednesday (November 26) in order to observe passengers’ situations and cargo business at Suvarnabhumi international airport around the clock.

The anti-government People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD)'s protesters have laid siege at Thailand’s main international airport since Tuesday night.

For those who need further information about the cargo and passenger situations, they are advised to contact the ministry’s hotline 1356 or dialing 0-2545-3181, 0-2545-4000 and 0-2356-1111, the information centre of the Thai Airways International (THAI) at the airport.

According to preliminary assessment, Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited (AOT) has lost around 50 million baht a day while THAI has lost around 500 million baht a day. Mr. Santi speculated that if the situation was dragged on, the damages may exceed one billion baht a day as THAI has suspended all inbound and outbound flights.

In term of an emergency protection at the airport, Mr. Santi said the ministry awaited the injunction from the court. He added that if the court failed to roll out the protection, the ministry would request to Government declare a state of emergency to protect the premises of Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang airports.

Source: National News Bureau of Thailand - 27 November 2008

Staying in Nort Pattaya and know that some flights out of BKK pass near Pattaya on take-off. They can be heared and seen on occation. THIS EARLY MORNING I HEARD 3 OR 4 FLIGHTS TAKING OFF?!!!!

<deleted>

I wouldn't be too optimistic about that, I've been told everyday as United rebooked my Wednesday morning flight to Tokyo, that they expect the airport to reopen Wednesday 6pm, then Wednesday night, then Thursday morning, so I've gone through two cancellations and 2 reschedules. The reality is that even if PAD vacated the airport now, because of the logistics of getting flights back in, clearing backlogs, and checking equipment and areas where secure areas have been breached it's going to be days before they are ready to operate fully again. I don't think that non Thai airlines will fly in again untill the airport has been declared safe and secure to international standards. I just called the airline and cancelled my trip, full refund no problem.

The reports of readying tanks, and soldiers with M16s going to Suvarnabhumi. That and airlines being more confident in responding to passengers inquiries about their upcoming flights.

Plus people reporting they've seen and heard flights from Suvarnabhumi and that updated status page earlier showing at least one flight had left this morning for Singapore.

Thanks, thats goo dnews. Trying to keep up from an office in perth is pretty hard...any new developmenets you get from over there greatly appreciated...the girlfriend isnt being much use watching a movie!

I wouldn't be too optimistic about that, I've been told everyday as United rebooked my Wednesday morning flight to Tokyo, that they expect the airport to reopen Wednesday 6pm, then Wednesday night, then Thursday morning, so I've gone through two cancellations and 2 reschedules. The reality is that even if PAD vacated the airport now, because of the logistics of getting flights back in, clearing backlogs, and checking equipment and areas where secure areas have been breached it's going to be days before they are ready to operate fully again. I don't think that non Thai airlines will fly in again untill the airport has been declared safe and secure to international standards. I just called the airline and cancelled my trip, full refund no problem.

I agree with you about how long you think it would take for the airport to be up and running fully again, but what of the planes leaving this morning? It would be nice to have some updated info.

Personally I don't think it will be long (as in later today) that action is taken, but I fear for my 1st of December flight for the reasons you mentioned.

Thanks, thats goo dnews. Trying to keep up from an office in perth is pretty hard...any new developmenets you get from over there greatly appreciated...the girlfriend isnt being much use watching a movie!

Well I'm just cobbling together information I've come across, other peoples' comments and my own experiences with my airline (Qatar), but since I'm flying on the 1st I'm overwhelming coming down on the optimistic side in all this!!! I know nothing concrete about flights leaving this morning, but it seems there has been something going on according to people near the airport.

BTW

SQ 973 Flight Status Flight: (SQ) Singapore Airlines 973

Date: Nov 27, 2008

Last Updated 255 minutes ago

Last updated 255mins ago....more than 4 hrs ago. shouldnt it have taken off by now?

I dont trust this page!!

Exactly! The scheduled ones I'm ignoring, but with one being 'en route'?? Very strange.

Edit: The Singapore flight supposedly en route is showing as canceled. Clearly that page is of no use at all!

We're all doomed!

Edited by fauxie

PAD Files Petition against Civil Court's Order

The lawyer of the People's Alliance for Democracy is scheduled to file a petition against a Civil Court's injunction for the PAD to leave Suvarnabhumi Airport today.

The Civil Court has ordered the People's Alliance for Democracy protesters to leave Suvarnabhumi Airport after the Airports Authority of Thailand has filed charges against 13 key PAD leaders for laying siege to the Bangkok international airport.

Source: Thailand Outlook - 27 November 2008

What do you make of the last sentence in this BBC report, right at the end, under the schematic of the airport, saying "Latest reports say terminal building has been evacuated"? Which airport does it mean?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7751679.stm

The passengers, as of last night, had all been evacuated. Sounds like airport workers and airline reps had left as soon as it all kicked off though, lol.

BBC World currently reporting that the PAD are well entrenched at Suvanabuhmi with supply lines well established. Jonathan Head saying it would be extremely difficult to remove the protesters even if such an order was given. "I would be very surprised if the airport opened before the end of the week," said Head...

http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus...p;x=24&y=10

I cannot find any flights 'en-route'

I believe fauxie was looking at the schedule of arriving flights on this web page:

www.thaivisa.com/bkk-departures.html

Like others said, this site is not very accurate. If a flight had been en route 20 minutes ago and now its arrival were cancelled it would mean the plane crashed.

--

Maestro

BBC World currently reporting that the PAD are well entrenched at Suvanabuhmi with supply lines well established. Jonathan Head saying it would be extremely difficult to remove the protesters even if such an order was given. "I would be very surprised if the airport opened before the end of the week," said Head...

I don't understand how it's difficult. If there are no passengers around, no airport workers, how hard can it be for the army to come in and remove anyone who chooses to remain? Force is justified, though regretable if avoidable, but anyone who chooses to stay (plenty would leave, I'll warrant) knows what the deal is and can face the consequences. What they're doing is illegal. They can simply be removed one by one, as any criminal would be in order to be detained, and if they choose to be violent, removal by force is entirely justified. I don't get it. Get all the meat wagons down there and stick them all in the back. If they resist they're breaking the law once more and are on their own!

http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus...p;x=24&y=10

I cannot find any flights 'en-route'

I believe fauxie was looking at the schedule of arriving flights on this web page:

www.thaivisa.com/bkk-departures.html

Like others said, this site is not very accurate. If a flight had been en route 20 minutes ago and now its arrival were cancelled it would mean the plane crashed.

--

Maestro

Entirely plausible.

Airport raid may backfire on the PAD

Sondhi Limthongkul was pleading for public sympathy on Tuesday night. We regret causing a major inconvenience, he said, referring to the seizure of Suvarnabhumi Airport, but we have no choice. His political movement, the People's Alliance for Democracy, has been the target for sporadic bomb attacks, and the rising death and injury tolls are adding to the tragedy of October 7, when police fired tear gas at Parliament-bound protesters, resulting in deaths and injuries.

The PAD's pain is understandable. Its reaction and responses are hardly so. When thousands of PAD members blockaded Suvarnabhumi Airport on Tuesday and penetrated the passenger terminal and scuffled with officials, causing a total shutdown of the airport, what unfolded before us was the transformation of Luke Skywalker into Darth Vader.

Imagine a son about to board a plane to go back home to see his dying mother. Imagine patients in need of urgent medical help stranded. Business deals delayed or cancelled. Countless appointments missed. The point is, if these circumstances seem trivial in the PAD's eyes, how can the movement ever expect others, never mind the whole world, to appreciate its own situation? Understanding works both ways. If the PAD wants others' sympathy, it has to give it out. It's as simple as that.

The PAD's latest, most provocative and controversial strategy may yet prove effective. With the military caught in the middle and reluctant to use force either to end the airport blockade or remove the current government, Somchai Wongsawat's administration is looking like a bigger lame duck by the hour. But whatever the outcome of the Suvarnabhumi siege, the PAD will not get the only thing that is as important as Somchai's resignation - public understanding and sympathy.

This is not civil disobedience. It's the PAD holding travellers hostage. It's the PAD's leaders telling their loyal followers that if someone inflicts harm on you, it's okay to get even at the expense of innocent others. The airport seizure caused more trouble to people whose sympathy the PAD had sought than the politicians the movement has tried to dislodge. The travellers suffered real human ordeals. Somchai and his government are only dealt political blows. How the PAD measures the plight of these two groups goes a long way to telling us its principles and ideologies. Having fought Thaksin Shinawatra and his alleged nominees by standing firm on the issue of conflicts of interests, the PAD has found itself in serious danger of being unravelled ideologically through conflicting values.

Whereas the government and Thaksin must be smiling, the real price the PAD is paying is not the dwindling sympathy from neutrals or the ammunition the airport affair has given its critics. "I'm so saddened and disappointed," said a man who only weeks ago went in and out of Government House on a daily basis to support the movement. "I'm sorry I joined this rally." He had watched the PAD cross the line before and tried to understand the "necessity". This time it was simply too much.

It is people like him who are the real cost of the Suvarnabhumi strategy. But the biggest price to pay may be from those PAD members joining the airport blockade or cheering the move back to Government House. The leaders have won their unquestioned loyalty, but risk blurring their consciences once and for all.

The PAD used to be a political movement that did the wrong things for the right reasons. It's impossible to consider the airport seizure to be morally right because it affects hundreds of thousands of innocent people - the passengers, their relatives, friends, or business partners. That damage cannot be translated into financial figures. That nobodygot hurt in the airport drama doesn't mean there is no pain.

The PAD leaders claim they are abandoning "Ahimsa" (non-violence and non-aggression) because its members have become victims and nobody is helping. That is all right as long as what happened on Tuesday is shrouded with proclaimed noble goals. When the action is explained in the simplest terms - "We want you to resign or a large number of innocent travellers won't be going home" - what is the difference between that and holding innocent passers-by at knife-point to force a police officer to lay down his gun?

Asia one news