Overstay

I was due to fly to the UK tonight (Wed) but for obvious reasons cannot! My 90 days expire this Friday (28th) and I am rebooked (hopefully) to fly out on Monday (1st Dec).

As I have never overstayed before, I am a little bit worried about a 3 day overstay.

*Is it just a simple case of handing over B1,500?

*Will there be an overstay stamp in my passport?

*What would happen if I were caught en route to the airport on Monday?

I know it's a trivial case and people have been months over.

All replies welcome

Thanks.

You would hope that they're going to make some concessions once the airport reopens because there will be a lot of people with the same problem.

But TIT, so would expect everyone who is on an overstay due to airport problems will be fined to the full extent of the law.. :D ....after all this is the same place which required volunteers after the Tsumami to have work permits... :o

So be prepared for the THB 500/day fine and a big red stamp in your passport... :D

Being cynical, I know...but wouldnt expect anything less in the LOS....

You would hope that they're going to make some concessions once the airport reopens because there will be a lot of people with the same problem.

But TIT, so would expect everyone who is on an overstay due to airport problems will be fined to the full extent of the law.. :D ....after all this is the same place which required volunteers after the Tsumami to have work permits... :o

So be prepared for the THB 500/day fine and a big red stamp in your passport... :D

Being cynical, I know...but wouldnt expect anything less in the LOS....

That's exactly why I used the words "you would hope". Perhaps I should have emphasized hope. :D I take nothing for granted.

Go to nearest immigration office and pay 1,900 bahts, I also say. Back when it was 200 baht per day, the Immigration Boss lady suggested it was cheaper to pay 600 baht for three days than 1,900 for an extension. And I got a big stamp in my passport for the 3 days, too.

What if a 7 day extension is not long enough to get him through this?

I would go to immigration and ask some questions before I forked out the 1,900 baht. Surely they will set up some tourist liaison service to help people who are stranded.

I know some people are going to reply TIT, but I really don't believe they could be so stubborn as to charge overstay in present circumstances.

I would still recommend popping into the closest immigration office and apply for an extension based on not being able to fly out.

Most probably you'll pay 1900 Baht, but have peace of mind.

I am thinking that if he goes in and NICELY asks for a free extension and has his ticket for a cancelled flight that they may give an extension GRATIS ... (knowing immigration ... if you demand it .. you pay!)

In a topic posted prior to this one the OP replied back that he had talked to Thai airways and they told him not to worry about immigration.

Do you really believe that immigration is going to take advantage of the situation and charge everybody an overstay.

Why don't you call immigration and ask them. Call the 24 hour number 1111. It costs 3 baht from a land line.

Edited by ubonjoe

Why don't you call immigration and ask them. Call the 24 hour number 1111. It costs 3 baht from a land line.

I just called (using a mobile and adding 02 before the number) got a mechanical voice telling me the number doesn't exist.

Any idea what the number is from a mobile?

Thanks

I just called (using a mobile and adding 02 before the number) got a mechanical voice telling me the number doesn't exist.

Any idea what the number is from a mobile?

Thanks

Putting "02" before the number will not help, just dial 1111, assuming here you are calling from a Thai mobile and not an international roaming number ?

When I called 1111 just now from a mobile phone it answered normally: “…for English, press 9…”

--

Maestro

me too, guess it was the 02 that was the problem

Anyway not much joy, very nice lady with poor English ability, reconnected me 3 times and told me to contact Immigration office. I thought that was Immigration?

Call cost 3 Baht also from mobile

Got number from immigration website home page.

With cooperation between Immigration Bureau and Government Contact Center, now you can call 1111 for immigration inquiry for 24 hours. 3 baht per call for fixed line phone.

Edited by ubonjoe

I just called the British Embassy and they told me that there ia an arrangement with the Thai Immigration.

IF YOU HAVE A CONFIRMED TICKET OUT OF THAILAND FROM 26th ONWARDS, YOU WILL NOT BE CHARGED FOR OVERSTAY.

Reading this prompted me to email the embassy for confirmation. Here's a copy of their reply:

Thank you for your e-mail. Our information, from the Immigration Commissioner's office, is that any traveller leaving Thailand will not be charged for overstay when they are eventually able to leave, provided that they do have proof that they were due to travel from 26 November onwards.

Regards,

Neill James

Vice-Consul

British Embassy, Bangkok

14 Wireless Road

Lumpini

Pathumwan

Bangkok 10330

I trust it's ok to copy and past the email here.

I just called the British Embassy and they told me that there ia an arrangement with the Thai Immigration.

IF YOU HAVE A CONFIRMED TICKET OUT OF THAILAND FROM 26th ONWARDS, YOU WILL NOT BE CHARGED FOR OVERSTAY.

My visa expired on 27th Nov.Fight cancelled on 27th.Went to immigration today 28th BKK,I had to pay 500BHT overstay plus the 1900BHT.The officer told me if I got a letter from British Embassy (this was at 3.00pm and being a Friday) they would've given me a 30 day extension.(and how much would the punka wallahs at the Embassy charge you for the letter.)

I've a Non-Immigrant multi entry.

I'm a optimist.....but it doesn't help much. :o

My visa expired on 27th Nov.Fight cancelled on 27th.Went to immigration today 28th BKK,I had to pay 500BHT overstay plus the 1900BHT.The officer told me if I got a letter from British Embassy (this was at 3.00pm and being a Friday) they would've given me a 30 day extension.(and how much would the punka wallahs at the Embassy charge you for the letter.)

How many days extension did you get?

How many days extension did you get?

7 days..... to the 5th Dec