Different Payment Options For Us Consulate Services

vagabond48

Next week, I am going down to the US Consulate in CM to get an income verification letter. I was wondering about the cost.

The web site says it costs $30. Is there an advantage to pay in baht or do they just multiple the latest baht rate per dollar X 30?

Another option is to use my CC, but will they charge an additional fee? If they don't, a CC would have the small benefit of getting 1.5% credit back and not paying the $30 for almost 2 months.

Edited by vagabond48

I was wondering about the cost.

The web site says it costs $30. Is there an advantage to pay in baht or do they just multiple the latest baht rate per dollar X 30?

Another option is to use my CC, but will they charge an additional fee? If they don't, a CC would have the small benefit of getting 1.5% credit back and not paying the $30 for almost 2 months.

Have you thought of employing the services of an accountant to work out exactly the best way of saving 1.5% of $30?

Next week, I am going down to the US Consulate in CM to get an income verification letter. I was wondering about the cost.

You're joking. Aren't you??? You must do well with the ladies here.

With all the forethought you are putting into this mega stang transaction, why not make a practice run to the consulate and ask for the options in currency payment, credit cards accepted, credit line possibilities, etc.

I would have but they are only open tues and thurs and yesterday (thurs) was a holiday.

I thought i'd take a minute to get some quick help. my mistake.

no big deal.

Edited by vagabond48

Just wanted to tell you that I used my US based credit card at the consulate about 2 years ago for a new passport, with no problems and no additional fees. Haven't been back since so I can't say what they are doing now.

Thanks.

I plan to get a new passport in 2 months as well as other services, so using a CC would be convenient.

Tough crowd here.

Just a bunch nitwits who don't have anything better to do with their time.

Edited by vagabond48

This is an actual reply (unlike the other posts). My experience is that they charge extra for paying in baht (presumably a service fee is built in). I always pay in dollars therefore, using a US based credit card---there is no service fee for using a credit card. They will give you the choice. If they ask for much more than 1050 baht, then pay in dollars.

Just wanted to tell you that I used my US based credit card at the consulate about 2 years ago for a new passport, with no problems and no additional fees. Haven't been back since so I can't say what they are doing now.

Thanks.

I plan to get a new passport in 2 months as well as other services, so using a CC would be convenient.

Tough crowd here.

Just a bunch nitwits who don't have anything better to do with their time.

yeah...so?

Escape life...live in Amazing Thailand :o

Whats a "nitwit"? I'm a knucklehead and or a dumbass, but haven't seen a "nitwit". They must be from Pai...

P.S. Use your CC..last time they ( US Embassy in BKK ) used 40bt to 1 USD on mine. :D

v..... I was there last week for a document, and whatever the exchange rate was it ended up at 1020 baht. Exact change is appreciated and sometimes required.

Get there early, as the lines have been a bit long lately.

Okay, this nitwit has a bit of information.

Yes, you can use your credit card with no extra charge from the consulate, BUT, check your CC statement when you get it, SOME and maybe most banks charge of conversion or overseas charge in addition to the actual purchase charge.

Think about it though. You really opened yourself up to these comments for trying to save a few satang. If it was a very large purchase, hundreds of dollars, then YES, your question would be more appropriate.

Cheers.

Just another little bit of info. All US gov't services are charged in US dollars. As far as I know, it has always been that way and I don't see it changing any time soon. If you use a US based CC, that is billed and payed in US dollars, then there will be no currency conversion issues as there is no currency conversions taking place. However, if you chose to pay for the US gov't service in the currency of another country (or region) then there will be. And since you are dealing with a US gov't institution, I don't see how any overseas charges can apply. Now if you use your Bangkok Bank CC, then you will pay in baht whatever the bank decides to charge you at the time the conversion takes place. And if you use Thai baht cash to pay them, then you will pay in baht whatever the consulate decides to charge you at that time.

I don't think the OP was looking to save some money. He was just looking for some alternate ways of paying for the US gov't services that he will need in the near future. Some of you guys seemed to grab onto this 1.5% discount he mentioned he could get if he uses his CC, and you don't want to let that go. I don't think that was his point at all.

Another alternative is to use good old US cash dollars, which they also accept as I have also used that to pay them. I always bring back a little after each trip, to use the next time I go.

I don't think the OP was looking to save some money. He was just looking for some alternate ways of paying for the US gov't services that he will need in the near future. Some of you guys seemed to grab onto this 1.5% discount he mentioned he could get if he uses his CC, and you don't want to let that go. I don't think that was his point at all.

Thanks for the common sense observation. I have to remember that some folks here don't seem to see the bigger picture.

I did write that using the CC would have a small not a tremendous benefit. I guess I should have added a smiley :o

Enough said!

He was just looking for some alternate ways of paying for the US gov't services that he will need in the near future.

Really? He clearly identified the three different alternative ways of paying in his first post.

"You say eether and I say eyether,

You say neether and I say nyther;

Eether, eyether, neether, nyther,

Let's call the whole thing off!

You like potato and I like potahto,

You like tomato and I like tomahto;

Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto!

Let's call the whole thing off!"