American Dies In Plunge From Rooftop

Highwayman

A 49-year-old American man plunged to his death yesterday from the top of a 12-storey apartment building in Bangkok’s Sathorn district.

Mark Bennet Gambell was found dead at around 9 am on the ground floor beside Maple House, a residential complex, after he was seen relaxing at a landscaped park on the roof. Police were investigating whether his fall was a suicide or an accident.

The Nation 14.12.2004

A 49-year-old American man plunged to his death yesterday from the top of a 12-storey apartment building in Bangkok’s Sathorn district.

Mark Bennet Gambell was found dead at around 9 am on the ground floor beside Maple House, a residential complex, after he was seen relaxing at a landscaped park on the roof. Police were investigating whether his fall was a suicide or an accident.

The Nation 14.12.2004

Police were investigating whether his fall was a suicide or an accident.

It couldn't be murder then? :o

• 1 month later...

The Nation 14.12.2004

Police were investigating whether his fall was a suicide or an accident.
It couldn't be murder then? :o

Marc was my cousin and I know he did not jump off this roof top. He was definitly murdered and the American Embassy and the Thai police are writing off another tourist as committing suicide. If anyone might have any information that could help my family and I we would greatly appreciate it. We are also trying to find anyone who might have been on Maple House's roof top garden that could send us pictures or information about it

Edited by Nikis2

Marc was my cousin and I know he did not jump off this roof top. He was definitly murdered and the American Embassy and the Thai police are writing off another tourist as committing suicide. If anyone might have any information that could help my family and I we would greatly appreciate it. We are also trying to find anyone who might have been on Maple House's roof top garden that could send us pictures or information about it

This is all getting a little scary, isn't it ?

I knew a guy that got 'balconied' but he was involved with drugs...

So - are these people that are falling from balconies the victims of random acts of violence or have they fallen in with the wrong people ???

Or is it that behind every great fall, there's a strong woman ?

Without wishing to appear uncaring to those who are grieving for him, I wonder what he was doing "relaxing" on the roof at 9 am.  Was it a work day?  What work did he do?

I think if you look at the OP he "was seen relaxing at a landscaped park on the roof". There are many expats who are retired and very well might be relaxing at 9 AM on any given day. Not sure what your point is/was and there doesn't seem to be any further "news" concerning this since the original report in "The Nation" back on December 14, 2004.

The Nation 14.12.2004

Any more movement on this ?

I haven't seen anything in the Nation or Bkk news,

The Nation 14.12.2004

Any more movement on this ?

I haven't seen anything in the Nation or Bkk news,

Hi Nikis

If you wish to try find out more about the circumstances of his death you will probably have to hire a lawyer and ask them to hire a good private investigator. You still may not get the answers but I think you will need people with a good local knowledge.

Good luck.

DeDanan

I was told that even if I did that I would probably never know because influential people were not likely to be directly involved but that protection was sought from influential people by those who perhaps were involved, and it is all speculation but it seems there is definitly something going on not only with tourist but with the Thai's too. We all know about what is going on in the bars with these girls for hire and drugs and I fear my cousin might have heard or seen something someone didn't want him to know or he made angry so he became another poor tourist that goes half way across the world to commit suicide.

I am sorry for your loss, Nikis. Your cousin's death seems similiar to so many others:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25823

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13824

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9044

I would encourage you to follow Dedanan's suggestion. It may not answer all your questions or find the guilty parties, but I feel it would help the family to try and find out whatever information that may turn up.

It is EXTREMELY unsettling that even his remains have not been returned. Assuming you have contacted the American Embassy, what do they say about this?

Best of luck to you and your family.

Again, I extend my condolescences. :o

Nikis

I dont really want to come over as harsh but how do you KNOW that it wasnt suicide?

People do many strange things without family or friends knowing. Just think of all the criminals and when asked the neighbours and family said " he was such a nice man"

If he was here on holiday, he would really really really need to be unlucky in hearing something or making someone so mad that they had him killed.

I know you want to find out what happened but raising conspiracy theories

like this isnt going to help you get though this.

I am sorry for your loss, Nikis.  Your cousin's death seems similiar to so many others:

I would encourage you to follow Dedanan's suggestion. It may not answer all your questions or find the guilty parties, but I feel it would help the family to try and find out whatever information that may turn up.

It is EXTREMELY unsettling that even his remains have not been returned. Assuming you have contacted the American Embassy, what do they say about this?

Again, I extend my condolescences.  :o

I am sorry for your loss, Nikis.  Your cousin's death seems similiar to so many others:

Again, I extend my condolescences.   :o

We have been in contact with the American Embassy and we sent them all the necessary paperwork but we still have not received anything. It seems that the Sunami is there #1 priority right now and they are not pushing for any investigations at all into these suspicious suicides that are going on in Thailand When you bring up the word murder somehow the subject changes and they are very busy with other calls. Most people that go on vacation do purchase 2 way fare to their destinations so I never by the broke and depressed story I keep reading. I live in a resort town and we have people that travel here from all over the world and in all my years living here none of them ever committed suicide

Again, I extend my condolescences.   :o

Nikis2, I suggest that your family come here and front the American Embassy to start with.It is much harder to lie in front of somebody.i would also bring a fistfull of cash to get the "powers that be" to really investigate this incident.

Nikis

I dont really want to come over as harsh but how do you KNOW that it wasnt suicide? 

People do many strange things without family or friends knowing.  Just think of all the criminals and when asked the neighbours and family said " he was such a nice man"

If he was here on holiday, he would really really really need to be unlucky in hearing something or making someone so mad that they had him killed. 

I spoke with my cousin everyday and so did many other people that were friends and family. He traveled the globe often and enjoyed his life to the fulliest. He even brought his dog with him on this trip and he was having a great time shopping and meeting people. He was very happy and than the next mourning we are told he was walking around very upset for days and there was a note he was writing in his apartment that he needed money. The last thing he needed was money and would not have been relaxing on a roof top garden with his dog and 5 minutes later he decides to get up and jump off. Not in a million years would he do that nor was he gay as stated in the Nation.

Nikis

People do many strange things without family or friends knowing.  Just think of all the criminals and when asked the neighbours and family said " he was such a nice man"

I spoke with my cousin everyday and so did many other people that were friends and family. He traveled the globe often and enjoyed his life to the fulliest. He even brought his dog with him on this trip and he was having a great time shopping and meeting people. He was very happy and than the next mourning we are told he was walking around very upset for days and there was a note he was writing in his apartment that he needed money. The last thing he needed was money and would not have been relaxing on a roof top garden with his dog and 5 minutes later he decides to get up and jump off. Not in a million years would he do that nor was he gay as stated in the Nation.

If it was me, I would get a signed affidavit from his Doctor and friends(As to his mental health) etc and send to the USA Embassy. Also, as I mentioned above, it is very important to front the Embassy in person. If no joy, I would contact every single newspaper in the USA and tell the story.To ask questions on this forum is fine, but that's all it is, a forum. Tell us exactly what the family have done so far.

Edited by chuchok

None everyone we talk to is just giving us false information and tries to rush us off the phone we still do not have his remains or belonging back yet and it has been 6 weeks

The Embassy most likely is still going to be your most effective tool at this point.

albeit, for awhile you may have to become a fixture there, (the squeaking wheel gets the grease ...).

From what you say, the death is suspicious and at the least warrants a cursory investigation.

Request that they petition for access to the body, you want a full tox panel (toxicological), was he injected or under the influence of anything, etc,

If the Thai Authorities refuse or the body is "misplaced" this may add credibility,

Also, check to see if he visited Bumrungrad recently, did he have any lab work done, (HIV or other).

Any recent large debits, transactions, etc,

Back in the States, all of the above would be routine in making a determination.

Ultimately you may discover he was effective at masking depression and may well be a simple suicide or accident, however suspicious it may appear.

Good luck and keep us posted.

They have cremated his body and there were large amounts of money transferred to a bank in Thailand. But I can't get any more information until I get a death certificate which we still don't have. There is no possible way he killed himself that I am totally sure of. I would like to be able to talk to someone who might have met him or been to Maple house apartments. There was a guy he became friends with that called himself John Kennedy I don't know where else to talk to people from that area than on this forum

They have cremated his body and there were large amounts of money transferred to a bank in Thailand. But I can't get any more information until I get a death certificate which we still don't have. There is no possible way he killed himself that I am totally sure of. I would like to be able to talk to someone who might have met him or been to Maple house apartments. There was a guy he became friends with that called himself John Kennedy I don't know where else to talk to people from that area than on this forum

Why doesn't one of his family come over here?

What is so hard about this question???????? If you don't answer,then it makes you look like a troll.

he does not have a large family and we all have children and are not in a position to come there. We have thought about it but would you want to come to a country you have never been and can't speak the language and try to investigate a murder you know nothing about and the police and Embassy are covering up information about? I don't want to be the next victim to have committed suicide it is all a bit too scary for me to ever want to get involved in over my head

What is so hard about this question???????? If you don't answer,then it makes you look like a troll.

Nikis2:

Have you made contact with your government representative, Congressman? Sounds to me like your case would get some notice there.

We had a family friend who is a Consular talk with the Embassy and they informed me that they "re-typed" Report of Death and have mailed it to us. Along with police log. There is obviously some people in Thailand that are unofficial who are getting official protection for these killings

So we obviously are never going to know what really happened to our loved one and the loved ones of so many others who have died in this country

I am reluctantly in agreement with you, Nikis. It can certainly be construed as one of the perils of living or even just visiting in the 3rd world. One should never forget that, no matter how attractive the trappings are.

As whenever someone has a choice to make on where they live (many people do not) the decision to come and stay here or even just visit here has to be balanced with the positives and the negatives. As for me, and a multitude of others including your cousin, Thailand's positives outweigh it's negatives. For me in particular, the scale is infinitely tipped onto the positive side.

Again, I wish to repeat... my sincerest sympathy for your entire family.