How Long Before Baht Plummets ?

With all these problems going on and the realestate market going nowhere,plus the tourism being down as much as it is,when is the baht going to nose dive.Iam just sat waiting to build a house but delaying as Iam waiting for a crash.

Whats the opinion ?? I reckon we'll see 70 to the pound by January.

EPG.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont forget to factor in what is happening in the UK.....BOE meet again soon for a likely interest rate cut....bang thats another few Baht wiped off the pound...BOT should devalue but unless they do the pound may be low for quite a while. 70 by Jan... :o ...that would be great but not realistic

With all these problems going on and the realestate market going nowhere,plus the tourism being down as much as it is,when is the baht going to nose dive.Iam just sat waiting to build a house but delaying as Iam waiting for a crash.

EPG.

Probably the Baht could weaken up to 36 - 37 to the Dollar, but not more. Thailand has huge reserves.

The Pound never will reach 70 to the Baht by January. Sorry.

WCA

Dont forget to factor in what is happening in the UK.....BOE meet again soon for a likely interest rate cut....bang thats another few Baht wiped off the pound...BOT should devalue but unless they do the pound may be low for quite a while. 70 by Jan... :o ...that would be great but not realistic

Why should be great? All imported things, electronics, imported food, even gasoline would be twice the price if this gonna happen.

Dont forget to factor in what is happening in the UK.....BOE meet again soon for a likely interest rate cut....bang thats another few Baht wiped off the pound...BOT should devalue but unless they do the pound may be low for quite a while. 70 by Jan... :D ...that would be great but not realistic

Why should be great? All imported things, electronics, imported food, even gasoline would be twice the price if this gonna happen.

Things were not twice the price last time the pound was at 70, ??? :o

estimated that pound would go down 12% against $ and 8% against euro.

baht is tied to $, so do not expect miracles, even if baht falls against $

Nonsense, the baht is not tied to the $. It has fluctuated more than 10 baht over the last 4 years.

low baht against the pound is due to uk economy being in such a mess, and this will not be rectified for a long time yet. Dollar remains strong trading at just over 1.5 dollar / pound. No doubt these conflicts will effect the exchange rate in our favour, but like been said, more uk looming interest rate cuts will cancel any gains made imo.

best to get used to 50 - 55 Baht to the pound i think for a long time, sterling was allways over inflated anyway.

EPG.

oh its going somewhere, if your not a yank and bought in last 12 mths you will pick up 30% if you can sell

It will begin it's dive next week. The US markets were closed due to Thankgiving holidays.

So figure Tuesday morning (Thai Time) movement will begin. This will accelerate if things escalate in Thailand.

It has been artifically high (The Baht) and besides BOT losing big time proping it up...Well:

The laws of gravity will always prervail eventually. The airport fiasco will be the trigger.

The Thai Baht has already weakened, and the U.S. trading currency markets have not even opened. Wait until tonight.

Barry

The Baht strenghtened against the pound today and later this week when the UK lower interest rates you will be very lucky to get 50 to the pound

Also there will be more interest rate cuts in the US and Europe but unlikely in Thailand as they do not want to have a weak currency

The Thai Baht has already weakened, and the U.S. trading currency markets have not even opened. Wait until tonight.

Barry

The Baht strenghtened against the pound today and later this week when the UK lower interest rates you will be very lucky to get 50 to the pound

Also there will be more interest rate cuts in the US and Europe but unlikely in Thailand as they do not want to have a weak currency

i will second that. down down down...lets hope the markets have written in the inevitable rate cuts in the uk on thursday, if not then in the 40s we go.

looks like those cheap road side stalls gonna be crowded with brits in the not so distant future...

oh dear...wish i had brought at 60 :o

Nonsense, the baht is not tied to the $. It has fluctuated more than 10 baht over the last 4 years.

:o 4o Baht to a dollar sound fine to me.My retirement plans in BKK were based on Baht at 40 to a dollar. It was down to 31.8 a few months back. Back up to 35.4 now. Just waiting for 40 and its retirement visa time.

Hope, hope.

:D

I remember around 6 years ago, UK pound went up to around 76 or 77 baht to the pound.. I certainly won't be drawing anything out from my UK bank until the exchange rate gets better..

October 2002 1 GBP = 68.4 THB I got at the bank

http://www.x-rates.com/cgi-bin/hlookup.cgi

Ok, It wasn't as long ago as I thought it was..

http://www.x-rates.com/d/THB/GBP/hist2004.html

Must have been around that time, but I remember I was in Bangkok and the rate was 77.. :o

I assume the OP wants a weaker Baht. Today brings excellent news for him. A massive 1% cut in interest rates from the Bank of Thailand should weaken the Baht against other currencies somewhat. But I don't expect a Baht plummet as a result of the interest rate cut.

I assume the OP wants a weaker Baht. Today brings excellent news for him. A massive 1% cut in interest rates from the Bank of Thailand should weaken the Baht against other currencies somewhat. But I don't expect a Baht plummet as a result of the interest rate cut.

Matched only by the 1% cut in UK rates! dam_n, just can't win.

:o 4o Baht to a dollar sound fine to me.My retirement plans in BKK were based on Baht at 40 to a dollar. It was down to 31.8 a few months back. Back up to 35.4 now. Just waiting for 40 and its retirement visa time.

Hope, hope.

:D

I presume you were joking but just in case you weren't, I really hope you're not going to base your retirement on 40 Baht per Dollar?