Suvarnabhumi PAD Protest Continues

Jai Dee

Grenade blast wounds 46 protesters in Bangkok

By Ed Cropley BANGKOK (Reuters) - A grenade blast wounded 46 anti-government protesters in Bangkok, hospital officials said on Sunday, the latest escalation in the country's increasingly violent political crisis.

http://www.theusdaily.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=593183

Here's some interesting quotes from that report:

1. "PAD supporters have vowed to "fight to the death," and youths armed with iron stakes manned barricades, scanning the horizon with binoculars for signs of police or pro-government gangs."

2. "If they come, we'll not open the door. If they shoot us, we'll shoot them back. We'll die if that makes the country better," PAD leader Sondhi Limthongul told supporters, the most explicit admission yet by the movement that they are armed.

3. "The government will spend $30 million over the next month to help stranded tourists, he told reporters, including giving them free hotel rooms and a daily stipend of $56."

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to bring in the Israeli army who could have this mess cleaned up in 5 minutes.

Time to bring in Mossad and take out Thaksin. They'd have this mess cleaned up in 4 minutes.

It would be goodbye in Dubai.

This is what it's all about.............. T H A K S I N.

Yes the iraeli government, military, etc. are good at killing civilians and spying on their "friends", etc. The USA gives israel 2 billion US dollars every year for free. That is what I call a welfare state. Israel then turns around and spies on the USA. Yes, all that free US money every year is going to good causes. Do you have first-hand knowledge about Mossad hanging out in Dubai? Why would the Mossad/israel want to take out Thaksin. Both are corrupt, greedy, and sneaky like rats. Two of a feather flock together.

Great video Astute from CNN thanks. Shows the PAD have scruples and limits. It's only the few youngsters (as are always necessary in war) who are in the front lines who are acting aggressively - they have to because if they didn't they would be mowed down!

Time to bring in the Israeli army who could have this mess cleaned up in 5 minutes.

Time to bring in Mossad and take out Thaksin. They'd have this mess cleaned up in 4 minutes.

It would be goodbye in Dubai.

This is what it's all about.............. T H A K S I N.

Yes the iraeli government, military, etc. are good at killing civilians and spying on their "friends", etc. The USA gives israel 2 billion US dollars every year for free. That is what I call a welfare state. Israel then turns around and spies on the USA. Yes, all that free US money every year is going to good causes. Do you have first-hand knowledge about Mossad hanging out in Dubai? Why would the Mossad/israel want to take out Thaksin. Both are corrupt, greedy, and sneaky like rats. Two of a feather flock together.

I disagree.....I think that Mossad and the IDF do a lot of very good work. At least they dont roll over like most other government's and take it up the wrong 'un.

The more the rent-a-protesters crush the economy without any repercussions the more emboldened they get. Before this I sympathized with organized protest against what they feel is a corrupt government but this has become megalomania and anarchy. School is now in session.

As you should be able to understand by now that these are not paid protesters. Paid protesters give up before they die. Only true believer overrun police armed with automatic guns.

there are only two main groups of PADs of the former from all walks of life left at the airport:

1) <snip>

2) para-militaristic PAD guards.. bullet proof vests, faces hide behind masks, armed with sticks, guns, grenades.

and not more just your violent beach boy thug, also the structure of the Guards chance. more and more looks like real army. special units in a secret mission. well organised from higher orders in the background.

what you can not see there anymore - are all the artist and creatives, who in the beginning lets those rallies looks like happenings. what you can not see there anymore are young people from bangkok, the students. no. also the middle class 20&30 something women you can not see there anymore.

mostly only grannies and a secret army hide behind them. opem your eyes.

the middle class backwards you have in the bureaucratic complex, your judges skulker and moneybags. not ashamed to please the junta generals with every orifice, in every position

"true believer", "heros"? NO forget it? using old women and the weekss before also kids as protection shield is disgusting.

that is not a movement of your business and higher educated peaple.

and you fail until today to bring me a single academic paper, a statement from a political scientist that supports the PAD.

human rights organisation, educated scholars, the people on the universities they look at the PAD in disgust.

if you look into the international press, nobody, not a single one political observer supports the PAD. all those crap propaganda of a freedom movement, a peace movement is just PAD propaganda.

or sauna and beer bar talk. things you just illusion yourself.

read here what The Asian Human Rights Commission think about:

http://www.ahrchk.net/statements/mainfile....tatements/1779/

Lets hope this doesn't lead to a repeat of Thailands Darkest Day when hundreds of Thai's were killed in 1992 because they would not support the government.

That's hardly a good analogy. If any PAD's are hurt it would not be because they don't support the government, but because they fought the government and lost.

They call this the "final battle" and say they will die for their cause, so they only have themselves to blame if they get hurt.

but it is worth destroying the country because Taksin did.....

Not did, Gravelash, he WILL, if they don't stop him.

A week without an airport is nothing compaing to revolution into Republic of Thailand.

And what is so unspeakably bad about a Thai Republic?

A grenade was launched into the Government House compound minutes late Saturday night, injuring 47 people.

The explosion occurred at 12:10 am Sunday when the protesters were preparing to rest and leaders of the People's Alliance for the Democracy were about to stop the activities on the stage.

The bomb fell on the roof of a tent on the left side of the stage and fell onto the ground and exploded.

PAD leaders said three of the protesters were seriously injured.

The injured were rushed to Vajira and Ramathibody hospitals.

The bomb, believed by the PAD to be an M79 grenade, exploded just 200 metres away from the PAD's main stage inside the Government House. It was fired outside the rally ground from a similar direction of the recent attack at the site.

Suriyasai Katasila said guards saw a flash from the direction of the Benjamabophit Hospital so it was believed the grenade was launched from the direction.

Two explosions were heard at ASTV station on Phra Arthit Road at 12:30 am Sunday morning, just around 20 minutes after the attack at Government House.

Witnesses also heard the gunfire lasting about 10 minutes. No injury was reported.

Later on at 3:55 am, a bomb exploded near a bunker made of tyres at the Don Mueang Airport.

The explosion occurred at the main entrance to the passenger terminal.

Before the explosion occurred, about 7 gunshots were heard from the direction of a warehouse deeper inside the airport compound.

No one was injured in the explosion.

The explosion prompted the PAD to resume its activities on the stage after the activities were ended at 2 am.

By The Nation

PAD may try to seize seaports if airports takeover fails to force PM out of officewindow.google_render_ad();

The political situation could become more tense today when government supporters stage a mammoth rally in Bangkok as the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy protesters continue to hold hostage the city's two airports.

The pro-government Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship said yesterday that it would hold a massive rally at the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's Lan Kon Muang ground this afternoon with as many as 100,000 people expected to take part. The rally venue was scheduled for Sanam Luang but changed later

By The Nation on Sunday

Published on November 30, 2008

A week without an airport is nothing compaing to revolution into Republic of Thailand.

EXACTLY. I'd love to see an answer to this.

This bomb that's gone off at government house and injured people................ Is there any confirmation where it came from? What delivery system was used? Was anyone seen fleeing the scene?

The reason i ask is that i would not be at all surprised to find out that the bomb that was exploded actually belonged to the PAD supporters. Could be an accident, could be on purpose to increase sympathy? All i have heard is that a bomb has exploded but no explanation (factuall) stating its origin.

don't get me wrong it could easily be the Government supporters who set it but i have seen nothing that tells me where it came from.

It seems that all these little 'bombs' appear to go off in the middle of all the yelloshirts. They usually cause a few minor injuries. If anyone is dumb enough to believe that a single redshirt is smart enough to evade the yelloshirt 'security' details and wander into the middle of the 'enemy' and let off an oversized firework, then you really need your heads examined. Since when has martyrdom become a Buddhist trait?

It's all pathetic grandstanding by the great yelloshirt leadership who are quite happy to sacrifice the life and limb of their own followers. I guess their reasoning is we give them pork and rice and a portapotty so that's recompense enough for losing a few fingers or an eye in the good fight?

Edited by NanLaew

Two things:

1. Republic = "a country or state not led by a hereditary monarch", which means that these posts are bound to be deleted.

2. Why would a republic be any better than a constitutional monarchy? Ever heard of the term "banana republic"? You fancy having Thaksin as president? Or Somchai?

Lets hope this doesn't lead to a repeat of Thailands Darkest Day when hundreds of Thai's were killed in 1992 because they would not support the government.

That's hardly a good analogy. If any PAD's are hurt it would not be because they don't support the government, but because they fought the government and lost.

They call this the "final battle" and say they will die for their cause, so they only have themselves to blame if they get hurt.

The PAD probably reckon on losing a few hundred more in this "final battle" before someone steps in, calls for peace and reconcilliation and the the great Thai democratic washing machine enters ANOTHER wash and rinse cycle.

I hope that this time, there is no intervention from on high and the washing machine goes into the final spin cycle that has been denied for about 60 years. Out with all that dirty water!

This bomb that's gone off at government house and injured people................ Is there any confirmation where it came from? What delivery system was used? Was anyone seen fleeing the scene?

The reason i ask is that i would not be at all surprised to find out that the bomb that was exploded actually belonged to the PAD supporters. Could be an accident, could be on purpose to increase sympathy? All i have heard is that a bomb has exploded but no explanation (factuall) stating its origin.

don't get me wrong it could easily be the Government supporters who set it but i have seen nothing that tells me where it came from.

It seems that all these little 'bombs' seem to go off in the middle of all the yelloshirts. They usually cause a few minor injuries. If anyone is dumb enough to believe that a single redshirt is smart enough to evade the yelloshirt 'security' details and wander into the middle of the 'enemy' and let off an oversized firework, then you really need your heads examined. Since when has martyrdom become a Buddhist trait?

It's all pathetic grandstanding by the great yelloshirt leadership who are quite happy to sacrifice the life and limb of their own followers. I guess their reasoning is we give them pork and rice and a portapotty so that's recompense enough for losing a few fingers or an eye in the good fight?

I would imagine the yellow shirts are costing people like the "mafia" a bunch of money. If you cost people money in the denominations thaqt are happening now it is possible there would be a few people wanting you dead.

Two things:

1. Republic = "a country or state not led by a hereditary monarch", which means that these posts are bound to be deleted.

2. Why would a republic be any better than a constitutional monarchy? Ever heard of the term "banana republic"? You fancy having Thaksin as president? Or Somchai?

Is it worth Thais fighting Thais for? Is it worth Civil War? Over something that is, while may be politically wrong, not morally wrong? And while we're fighting to prevent that, we're condoning acts that ARE morally wrong?

Two things:

Re 1. It's a pity you never expanded on the meaning of Republic to include "a government in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives responsible to them and governing according to law."

Re 2. I would leave the decision of who governs to the electorate but I do know who should NOT be in the equation any more.

I'm sorry but it's not about fairytales and castles anymore.

Edited by NanLaew

Don't fall in this trap. The big argument of PAD supporters is Thaksin is going to destroy the monarchy, which, for 100% of the Thai, is definitively not acceptable.

Fortunately, some of us are European and can testify that monarchy and a strong and lively political life can coexist in harmony.

In Spain, the king Juan Carlos played an important role in assuring a smooth transition between dictature (Franco) and democracy. A few years back, Spain had a very controversial leader, Anznar, who was later democratically defeated by Mr Zapatero, and all live and work in perfect harmony.

Further north, UK has recently known two very strong, world class political leaders, Lady Thatcher and Mr Tony Blair. Is the Monarchy in danger in the UK ?

PAD supporters will have to find an other argument to justify why they're slowly destroying this country that used to be a model of peace and harmony

Don't fall in this trap. The big argument of PAD supporters is Thaksin is going to destroy the monarchy, which, for 100% of the Thai, is definitively not acceptable.

Fortunately, some of us are European and can testify that monarchy and a strong and lively political life can coexist in harmony.

In Spain, the king Juan Carlos played an important role in assuring a smooth transition between dictature (Franco) and democracy. A few years back, Spain had a very controversial leader, Anznar, who was later democratically defeated by Mr Zapatero, and all live and work in perfect harmony.

Further north, UK has recently known two very strong, world class political leaders, Lady Thatcher and Mr Tony Blair. Is the Monarchy in danger in the UK ?

PAD supporters will have to find an other argument to justify why they're slowly destroying this country that used to be a model of peace and harmony

Sound reasoning Pierrot; good points well taken. We also know that Juan Carlos and Elizabeth kept their hands and the hands of their advocates out of the cookie jar.

On Sky News, it shows a Police man with his back to the door of a Riot Police vehicle surrounded by young masked Demonstrators armed with batons / staves....... threatening him, a very nasty scene,another western Cameraman was nearby.... It was on an approach road to the Airport.......... :o

I had a thought this morning, what if someone, the police or a airport security officer, turned on all the water sprinklers in the ceiling at about 4 in the morning. Don't you think that would send a bunch of people outside the building, maybe all of them. All the Thai police I have ever seen, wear jump badges, so I am assuming they have all been on airplanes, how about landing a bunch on top of the airport building and send them down lobbing tear gas as they went. Just thoughts of something less deadly than bullets or grenades.

Unfortunately the PAD aren't exactly peaceful, so Tropo does have a point!!! :o
Brit, you are a top bloke on ThaiVisa and a gentleman, but we disagree about violence. I agree the PAD aren't exactly peaceful, so Tropo does have a point. But PAD has been almost perfectly nonviolent. You seem to have been calling for weeks or years now for violent solution to this nearly perfectly peaceful protest. All of you who call for violence in Thailand have a double standard if you expect the honorable opposition to stand by and be slaughtered like the faithful Indians who followed Gandhi. This is not India in 1939. Takin's goons killed in cold blood in Chiang Mai this month, so the possible scaring away of armed policeman is simply an episode of the Keystone Cops. We have probably seen far more violence at a rock concert, than PAD has done against the bloody violent thugs who are on Taksin's side.