Tourist Arrivals On Samui Down 50%

LaoPo

And my point, since you apparently missed it, was that November is not the high season, but this is December now, and as far as I am aware from Samui people I know involved in the business and from guests coming over from Samui, is that Samui is dead. Which is, of course, not usual.

Agreed on this at least.

As far as agression, wich you been accusing me for ever since i joined the forum, readers and writers oftenly dont have the same pictures in their heads. What i write and what you or anybody else read into it can in some cases be 2 different things. You very often tell me im agressive and thats your way of reading my words. Beleive me, im the nicest, calmest guy on earth with no agression in me what so ever. You might have to change the way you look at my postings, there´s a chans you are expecting agression already before you read it.

However, i will try to make it even less agressive in the future, note taken. :o .

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever considered this scenario.Such as the over supply of hotel rooms as HD has mentioned,the bars & restaurants popping up at every corner trying to get a slice of the pie,the spread of accomodation.No lomger is Chaweng , Lamai ,Bophut & Maenam the sole centres of hotels.They are spread far & between all over the island.

Yes tourism to Thailand in general will be affected, due to world economic crisis & Thailand's own internal problems.But if you listen to what HD is saying, about talking to some rather large tourism operators,they do anticipate such problems,but they also mention new emerding markets from packaged holidays to high end tourism.

Do I feel sorry for hotels & bars closing? No. I feel sorry for the staff, but not the operators that want to get on the gravy train without any forethought,proper market research or contingencie plans.

Samui in general is always quiet in November,low season.Check with any established business owner on the island.

You might find the odd hotel that has high occupancy, but in general,they are packaged tours thrust upon first time tourists & organised by overseas travel agents that have no knowledge,or wish not to disclose to their clients that their trip is cheap because it's rainy season.I have met a few of them last month & let me tell you they were not a happy bunch.

That is the last I will post on this subject,it does not warrant the 20+ pages,it is starting to sound like a troll to me.

Have you ever considered this scenario.Such as the over supply of hotel rooms as HD has mentioned,the bars & restaurants popping up at every corner trying to get a slice of the pie,the spread of accomodation.No lomger is Chaweng , Lamai ,Bophut & Maenam the sole centres of hotels.They are spread far & between all over the island.

Yes tourism to Thailand in general will be affected, due to world economic crisis & Thailand's own internal problems.But if you listen to what HD is saying, about talking to some rather large tourism operators,they do anticipate such problems,but they also mention new emerding markets from packaged holidays to high end tourism.

Do I feel sorry for hotels & bars closing? No. I feel sorry for the staff, but not the operators that want to get on the gravy train without any forethought,proper market research or contingencie plans.

Samui in general is always quiet in November,low season.Check with any established business owner on the island.

You might find the odd hotel that has high occupancy, but in general,they are packaged tours thrust upon first time tourists & organised by overseas travel agents that have no knowledge,or wish not to disclose to their clients that their trip is cheap because it's rainy season.I have met a few of them last month & let me tell you they were not a happy bunch.

That is the last I will post on this subject,it does not warrant the 20+ pages,it is starting to sound like a troll to me.

It´s the 18th of december now in case you missed it roo.

I agree Roo with what you say and I think this thread has run for long enough with nothing new mattias seems to have his own agenda here.

I think we can safley disreguard alot of posts from someone who thinks high season on Samui starts in November he is obviously so well informed. I just wonder how long Mattias has actually been here?

yes, mattias, I do speak the local dialect. As I said, I have lived here for 20 years.

And my point, since you apparently missed it, was that November is not the high season, but this is December now, and as far as I am aware from Samui people I know involved in the business and from guests coming over from Samui, is that Samui is dead. Which is, of course, not usual.

As a note, if you want to get civil responses you really should try dropping the aggressive attitude as it does your arguments no good.

It has been very quiet on Samui maybe quieter than usual but it has now started picking up in just the last couple of days this is quite normal as I said earlier two planes that I have collected friends from were both full and Chaweng Beach road yesterday afternoon was alot busier than this time last week and I think it will get alot busier over the next few days.

I agree Roo with what you say and I think this thread has run for long enough with nothing new mattias seems to have his own agenda here.

I think we can safley disreguard alot of posts from someone who thinks high season on Samui starts in November he is obviously so well informed. I just wonder how long Mattias has actually been here?

1: Somebody force you to read it? :o .

2: Off and on since 2003. Lived here permanently for about 2,5 years. With a 4 month Europe-visit this summer.

About highseason in November, i said that when i managed a property in Chaweng 2 years ago, we started being fully booked in mid november. I know it´s not the highseason for hotels in general but i used it as a valuemeter. They are still empty this year and it´s 18th december now. I know there is resorts all over the island, but chaweng is a valuemeter. When chaweng is empty maenam and lamai is dead.

2: Off and on since 2003. Lived here permanently for about 2,5 years. With a 4 month Europe-visit this summer.

About highseason in November, i said that when i managed a property in Chaweng 2 years ago, we started being fully booked in mid november. I know it´s not the highseason for hotels in general but i used it as a valuemeter. They are still empty this year and it´s 18th december now. I know there is resorts all over the island, but chaweng is a valuemeter. When chaweng is empty maenam and lamai is dead.

No-one forced me to read it but I could no longer ignore you spouting total <deleted>. So now you are backtracking you did not mean high season but in your opinion November used to be busier and you have gained this insight because you have lived here on and off since the good old days of 2003 probably more off than on.

Why don't you take a walk down Chaweng Beach Road this afternoon as I have invited you to do and open your eyes I'm afraid it is starting to get busy and more tourists will be arriving as they do every year to enjoy a holiday over Christmas and New Year.

Maybe in one week you can start a new thread complaining about the busy roads, queues at Tesco and no-where to park.

No-one forced me to read it but I could no longer ignore you spouting total <deleted>. So now you are backtracking you did not mean high season but in your opinion November used to be busier and you have gained this insight because you have lived here on and off since the good old days of 2003 probably more off than on.

Why don't you take a walk down Chaweng Beach Road this afternoon as I have invited you to do and open your eyes I'm afraid it is starting to get busy and more tourists will be arriving as they do every year to enjoy a holiday over Christmas and New Year.

Maybe in one week you can start a new thread complaining about the busy roads, queues at Tesco and no-where to park.

Please forgive me for spitting out total bullox. Chaweng is very busy. And the big queues at tesco is tourists. I´m going to chaweng now, i´m prepared that it´s very busy and ready for the big crowds.

Glad you straighten out all the bullox with the real information.

Busy town, here i come.

You have your oppinion and i have mine. I was the manager for a resort 2 years ago and our highseason started in the begining of november at that time. In chaweng. Now you say high season is starting januari 20? I beleive you, i just think it´s different from a few years ago, and i have honestly not seen chaweng this empty ever before. Difference in oppinins. Thats all.

You have to get your story straight if you want to be taken seriously

It´s the 18th of december now in case you missed it roo.

I said I wasn't going to comment, high season usually starts around 23 rd of December.That is when people start taking

X-mas holidays ( around X-mas,not November) from paid jobs , that some have the misfortune of having to do for a living.

Have a great X-mas. :o

Please forgive me for spitting out total bullox. Chaweng is very busy. And the big queues at tesco is tourists. I´m going to chaweng now, i´m prepared that it´s very busy and ready for the big crowds.

Busy town, here i come.

I did not say it was very busy what I said was it is starting to get busy and it will get alot busier over the next week which is normal for this time of year.

You obviously have some issues with Samui one wonders why you bother to stay I for one whilst I realise improvements are needed am very happy here and I have many friends both Thai and Farang who share that view.

I am in Lamai for a couple of days and there are quite a few tourists about. I was expecting it to be empty.

As said there are so many hotels here now A few new ones have sprung up in the last 2 years.

Agree, and this morning the pool of my resort was not empty as the last days....

People are coming, and maybe it will be better to resume the discussion after mid january.

Unless the chinese will do an extra year end long holiday that will be the time where the europeans are gone.

Busy town, here i come.

I did not say it was very busy what I said was it is starting to get busy and it will get alot busier over the next week which is normal for this time of year.

You obviously have some issues with Samui one wonders why you bother to stay I for one whilst I realise improvements are needed am very happy here and I have many friends both Thai and Farang who share that view.

Look, it´s easier that you read the thread than ask things over and over that i already explained. I am also very happy here, i couldnt care less about samui tourists. However, there is alot of tourism buisness not only in samui, also among our members here on this forum. I´m just shocked how people can invest their money in tourism industrie, and then sit back at times like this and pretend everything is good. Btw, i did take that drive troughout chaweng today, and i still dont agree with your oppinion at all. My point troughout this whole thread has been to see if tourist related buisness owners woke up and saw whats going on, and if you have a "emergensy package" goin to bring this years shrinking number of tourists from for instans Europe to samui, instead of bali, phuket, goa and other holiday destinations. Apperently, you are just happy they way it is, and im am to. But i expect alot of tourist related buisness to go bankrupt this year thats for sure, and the people that sit here and say they are invested in this and work with it and numbers are good, are either lying their ass off or just have no real look in the books.

So, i also probably (if not provoced) will not post anymore in this thread now, if you have further wonderings i think you can scroll back in the thread. All of it been said by now.

So, i also probably (if not provoced) will not post anymore in this thread now, if you have further wonderings i think you can scroll back in the thread. All of it been said by now.

Good ! :o That's a wise decision.

Thank you; it saves me, being the OP, to ask the Mods to close this thread because of your behaviour.

LaoPo

Good ! :o That's a wise decision.

Thank you; it saves me, being the OP, to ask the Mods to close this thread because of your behaviour.

LaoPo

Thats the mot redicoulus post i´ve ever seen on thaivisa. Get a grip laopao.

NONE of you get it!...except maybe Mathias...THE WORLD ECONOMY IS F*UCKED...people come here to spend EXTRA money...there is NONE of that for most of those people now and most that still have it don't want to spend it...HD's tourist stats...so what?...they are self-interested...who cares...the proof will be two weeks from now. YES, of course, there will be more people here than right now (people who bought tickets long ago and a few to whom the global and Thailand crisis does not matter)...but NO WAY will it be anywhere near the last 10 years...no way...we will seeeeee :D and if correct...that = Samui (at least tourist-wise is SCREWED).

HD,(and to you Laopo) you have some good things to offer sometimes...but you are not at all always correct. And on top of that, no mostly, it is your undeservedly pompous attitude that the rest of us who recognize your underservedliness part, take offense. Outside of that, ie if you would just state your opinions more objectively without the "I am god of Thailand forever here and speak Thai and know a bunch of moron government officials so I know the ultimate truth"...atttitude...I think we'd be okay with you (I would, at least)...but ya, tis the season so, happy holidays to you and yours HD you too LP :D ...and, actually, I hope I am incorrect for folks like you and others I know....but.... :D

Merry Christmas Thaierless :o can we turn this into an xmas thread now ? i'm quite excited though unfortunately not in Thailand, did try for xmas after being rudely stopped by PAD from going at the end of Nov but last minute ticket prices to thailand are always a big nono. So here's raising a tiger to those that are :D

NONE of you get it!...except maybe Mathias...THE WORLD ECONOMY IS F*UCKED...people come here to spend EXTRA money...there is NONE of that for most of those people now and most that still have it don't want to spend it...HD's tourist stats...so what?...they are self-interested...who cares...the proof will be two weeks from now. YES, of course, there will be more people here than right now (people who bought tickets long ago and a few to whom the global and Thailand crisis does not matter)...but NO WAY will it be anywhere near the last 10 years...no way...we will seeeeee :D and if correct...that = Samui (at least tourist-wise is SCREWED).

HD,(and to you Laopo) you have some good things to offer sometimes...but you are not at all always correct. And on top of that, no mostly, it is your undeservedly pompous attitude that the rest of us who recognize your underservedliness part, take offense. Outside of that, ie if you would just state your opinions more objectively without the "I am god of Thailand forever here and speak Thai and know a bunch of moron government officials so I know the ultimate truth"...atttitude...I think we'd be okay with you (I would, at least)...but ya, tis the season so, happy holidays to you and yours HD you too LP :D ...and, actually, I hope I am incorrect for folks like you and others I know....but.... :D

I've never said nor claimed I am or was right in this or any other topic.

The point that so many on this thread are opposing to Mattias33 and yourself is the WAY you post..your writing attitude.

Believe me, I am very VERY well aware of the present crisis and world economy. In fact I have been warning about the declining tourism, earlier than most on this forum when I started a topic, called:

So: When will -Farang- tourism to Thailand come to a halt ?:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/So-farang-To...nd-t194405.html

It is the attitude and way of writing both you and Mattias33 are showing; I simply don't understand why people cannot discuss with one another in a civilized way.

The ugly words you are using towards me have never been used by myself but if you think I have a pompous attitude I wonder what your own attitude is called :o

Class, style and dignity are far away... :D

LaoPo

From The Associated Press

Holiday season in crisis as Thai tourism plummets

SAMUI, Thailand (AP) — The palm-fringed island of Samui normally fills up for the holidays, but what stands out these days is its emptiness.

The sprawling Tongsai Bay resort, where guests are shuttled around in golf carts, has reduced hours for staff and even installed lower-wattage light bulbs to reduce electricity bills to cut costs amid the slowdown, said assistant manager Chonlatee Nakamadee.

"We can't believe how quiet it is here," said Karen Jack, a 37-year-old secretary from London. "There's been a couple of nights when we've been the only people in the restaurant."

The hangover from political unrest including an eight-day blockade of Bangkok's airport is not going away: Cancelations are pouring in from around the world — just as the high season is starting and the economy is slowing amid the global financial meltdown.

Continues here

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...NtJuDwD953T8T00

We all get it except maybe you and Mattias. We do understand that the world economy is going through tough times and the political situation in Thailand has not been good and next year will be very challenging for every tourist destnation not just Samui, the picture you and Mattais seem to want to paint is that these problems are unique to Samui and everywhere else is booming.

Do you seriously believe that there will be less tourists here this Christmas than there were ten years ago???? Were you here ten years ago? I bet not.

What HD was trying to say which you are obviously unable to grasp were the statistics for earlier this year not the last couple of months and if you were to belive Mattias November is normally very busy anyone who has spent anytime here would no that November is the quietest month of the year and that tourism does not start picking up on Samui until the week before Christmas.

I think tourism next year will be down and it will be everywhere not just here but incorrect posts and misinformation are not helpful to anyone.

I wish everyone a happy Christmas and a prosperous new year.

We all get it except maybe you and Mattias. We do understand that the world economy is going through tough times and the political situation in Thailand has not been good and next year will be very challenging for every tourist destnation not just Samui, the picture you and Mattais seem to want to paint is that these problems are unique to Samui and everywhere else is booming.

Do you seriously believe that there will be less tourists here this Christmas than there were ten years ago???? Were you here ten years ago? I bet not.

What HD was trying to say which you are obviously unable to grasp were the statistics for earlier this year not the last couple of months and if you were to belive Mattias November is normally very busy anyone who has spent anytime here would no that November is the quietest month of the year and that tourism does not start picking up on Samui until the week before Christmas.

I think tourism next year will be down and it will be everywhere not just here but incorrect posts and misinformation are not helpful to anyone.

I wish everyone a happy Christmas and a prosperous new year.

yes, thank you for that, you agree Samui is screwed as far as tourism goes...lets not even start with the rest.

YES Mathias and I ARE talking about SAMUI...THIS IS THE SAMUI thread....if you wanna talk about Thailand, please go to one of the general Thailand forums.

let's see what happens in the next two weeks...then we (well actually then you, LP, HD) will finally know....

From The Associated Press

Holiday season in crisis as Thai tourism plummets

SAMUI, Thailand (AP) — The palm-fringed island of Samui normally fills up for the holidays, but what stands out these days is its emptiness.

The sprawling Tongsai Bay resort, where guests are shuttled around in golf carts, has reduced hours for staff and even installed lower-wattage light bulbs to reduce electricity bills to cut costs amid the slowdown, said assistant manager Chonlatee Nakamadee.

"We can't believe how quiet it is here," said Karen Jack, a 37-year-old secretary from London. "There's been a couple of nights when we've been the only people in the restaurant."

The hangover from political unrest including an eight-day blockade of Bangkok's airport is not going away: Cancelations are pouring in from around the world — just as the high season is starting and the economy is slowing amid the global financial meltdown.

Continues here

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...NtJuDwD953T8T00

Now THAT sounds like the TRUTH...based on very extended empirical observation here, on the ground, on Samui...why people like Spock and the Lion King want to deny it...?? I don't get it...I mean, yes, it is very very Thai to lie in the press (e.g. the number of deaths from the Tsunami) in order to keep, supposedly (if the tourists are nearly so dumb as the nation PR folks think) to keep the tourists coming. GEE maybe if we pretend its not reality...then this horrilble REALITY will go away...sorry for not being whatever it is that Spock and the Lion King think is "class" (read: ignorant"?) but that...is just stupid and it wastes all our time and it the reality check we all need to begin to start moving forward.

Ohh, i should actually make something On topic aswell. My neighbours wife turn out ( i didnt know til tonight) a cleaninglady in "sala". One of the highend hotels in samui/phuket. A room is apperently 8000 baht/night. Very fancy and nice. (In samui it is in choeng mon). Their people almost never leave the hotel. They get pick up and eat and drink in the hotel for their holiday. They dont care about taxi-scams or overcharging restaurants.

For the first time since she started in 2002 she now have 29 rooms to clean out of 73. They been fully booked (with a room or two empty) since she started. Now they let 4 of her collegues go already, and maybe more to come. According to her there is absolutely no doubt about it what so ever: this is the slowest, lowest, she EVER seen samui tourism in.

Only qouting a chat i had with her. Don´t kill the messagecarrier.

you only have to look on latestays.com to see the incredible reductions many hotels are offering over xmas to realise it's a buyers market, good news for me then :o by mid jan when the usual xmas rush is over i'm hoping to see further reductions which will compensate for the rubbish exchange rate at the moment

Well going out tonight for a table for 2 - Mangrove Full , Ocean 11 Full - end up in Zazen which was also very busy

Seems busy to me !

"Seems" :o

(BTW: Mangrove does not "count," they had their monthly tapas night last night that they advertise heavily and people make a special trip for...the owner said the night before...empty).

And again, we are not saying this week or two won't be busy...it just WILL be one of if not the worst "high" season in recent years...say a decade or more...and NO it does not matter if I was here 10 years ago...god that line to support so called intelligence and expertise is getting old....one does not have to have been here 10 years ago to recognize that the world economy is screwed AND Thailand has done itself no great favors in attracting tourists recently. Not to mention what one can see for oneself if one just goes to beaches and has a look...oneself, instead of sticking ones' head in the sand or up somewhere worse :D