Using Usa 110v Lamps In Thailand?

worldtraveler5

I moved from the US to Bangkok about a year ago. I brought a few nice lamps with me as I couldn't sell them before moving. They are 110v. I was wondering if it is possible to use them here, or whether I had to get them converted to 220v (or use transformers, which I something I really didn't want to do).

I used to live in Hong Kong, and brought a 220v lamp from there to the US and it worked perfectly fine, straight away. But I get conflicting reports on going the other way. Some people say you can do it, some say you can't, other say you can but the life time of the power supply is greatly reduced, etc. etc.

I'm confused and just want to use these lamps instead of them being useless decoration..

Any advice is greatly appreciate!

Thanks.

I moved from the US to Bangkok about a year ago. I brought a few nice lamps with me as I couldn't sell them before moving. They are 110v. I was wondering if it is possible to use them here, or whether I had to get them converted to 220v (or use transformers, which I something I really didn't want to do).

I used to live in Hong Kong, and brought a 220v lamp from there to the US and it worked perfectly fine, straight away. But I get conflicting reports on going the other way. Some people say you can do it, some say you can't, other say you can but the life time of the power supply is greatly reduced, etc. etc.

I'm confused and just want to use these lamps instead of them being useless decoration..

Thanks.

If the lamp has no 110V power supply or 110VAC rated internals, then you should be ok...ie if the power is direct onto bulb receptable/holder thorugh the swtich, as long as the actually bulbs are rated for 220V, then should work....if bulbs are 110V rated then they will "pop" at 220VAC.

So check three things: 1. Is the globe/bulb rated for 220V 2. Is the power wired directly to the bulb/globe holder, or wired through a 110V power supply 3. look on the lamp its self, if its self adjusting 110V to 220V it will say so on a sticker or plate.

On your 220VAC lamp in the US, this either had an self-adjusting power supply ie 220 to 110 or actually it didnt work properly, the lamp may have lit, but it counldnt have been been working properly if rated for 220VAC

Hope this helps

They standard lamps from Pier One in the USA. So just using a local bulb is fine? The power supply won't overheat or burn out from the increased voltage?

That's great if I can use them so easily! Thanks for the advice.

Are they bog standard lamps, or is there something special about them? If they are just normal type lamps, then it's as Gary says.
Edited by worldtraveler5

They standard lamps from Pier One in the USA. So just using a local bulb is fine? The power supply won't overheat or burn out from the increased voltage?

That's great if I can use them so easily! Thanks for the advice.

Jay

Are they bog standard lamps, or is there something special about them? If they are just normal type lamps, then it's as Gary says.

Change the bulbs to 220V rated, if it has a power supply you need to look on the power supply if its self adjusting 110-220V it will have a plate or sticker on it saying so....if it doesnt, assume its a 110V power supply only...plug it into 220V and you will blow the power supply...so there a few things you need to check before you plug it in.....

Here is what the sticker says on the lamp:

"Caution": To reduce the risk of fire, use MAX 100 watt type 3-way lamp.

120v-60Hz AC Only

That is why i feared just plugging it into the socket.

Based on that info, then you will certainly blow the power supply then if you plug it into 220VAC

Its not a self adjusting supply......

This is obviously made for local US market only, not putting a self adjusting supply in is cheaper to do, than a self adjusting one...

Sorry should have added, to use this lamp then you need to get the power supply changed to 220V rated or alternatively go and buy a step down transformer 220VAC to 110VAC and plug your lamp into this supply....they are not that expensive

Edited by Soutpeel

120v-60Hz AC Only

Based on that info, then you will certainly blow the power supply then if you plug it into 220VAC

This is obviously made for local US market only, not putting a self adjusting supply in is cheaper to do, than a self adjusting one...

Sorry should have added, to use this lamp then you need to get the power supply changed to 220V rated or alternatively go and buy a step down transformer 220VAC to 110VAC and plug your lamp into this supply....they are not that expensive

I do not think it has been determined whether the lamp even *has* a power supply.

What sort of bulb does this critter have? Any markings on it?

If this lamp uses standard 110v FILAMENT type US light globes, then there is NO power supply inside the base or anywhere else.

However, the main power SWITCH (if there is one) ideally needs to be uprated for Thailand voltage/amperage as well as changing the screw in globe to a local 220/240V type. The bulb threads should be the same luckily enough.

Also note that Thailand does NOT have 3-way style multi-filament globes, only single filament types. This means if you screw in a Thai light globe, you will get only one switch position where the light is full on. The off, low and medium setting on the rotary switch will all result in OFF, i.e. 3 clicks without light and only one click with light full on.

Edited by NanLaew

120v-60Hz AC Only

I do not think it has been determined whether the lamp even *has* a power supply.

What sort of bulb does this critter have? Any markings on it?

From the OP "The power supply won't overheat or burn out from the increased voltage?"

If this lamp uses standard 110v FILAMENT type US light bulbs, then there is NO power supply inside the base or anywhere else.

However, the main power SWITCH (if there is one) ideally needs to be uprated for Thailand voltage/amperage as well as changing the screw in bulb to a local 220/240V type. The bulb threads should be the same luckily enough.

Also note that Thailand does NOT have 3-way style filament lamps, only single filament on-off types.

Very good point... :o

Most switches that I have seen on USA-spec lamps, appliances, etc., as well as most replacements seen in the hardware stores there, are rated at 240 VAC.

However, that might not be the case with a 3-way switch <shrug>

How to proceed?

1) Disassemble to the point where you can see if the switch has a rating tag

2) Buy a transformer and use the US-spec bulbs (good until you need a replacement bulb)

3) Put a 240 V bulb in one lamp and try it out

I would do option 3, but I am the adventurous sort... :o

I think the switch would be just fine regardless...a lamp does not draw that much power

Edited by mgjackson69

If you can find a step down transformer you will be fine they are avaiable but you will need search for it. The transformer only needs to be 100 watts. If there is no electronics in the lamps, ie touch control type lamps, it may well be cheaper to find a local sparky to to rewire them.

I brought out many of my table, bedside, and desk lamps from the US when I moved here. I couldn't get a straight answer from anyone I asked about the possible dangers, so I finally just took one outside, plugged it in, and screwed a 240v thai bulb into it. No problem, worked fine and the cord didn't heat up, nor did the breaker in the house trip.

The US 110v plugs fit into thai outlets just fine, even the ones with two slightly different pin sizes. My lamps were just the standard, plug, cord, socket type only but going on 4 years, so far they're trouble free.

That being said; several of my lamps were 3-way switches but I never could find a three way bulb here, despite looking around. I just hafta turn the switch several times to get the bulb to light.

I would drag an extension cord outside, plug it in and test it out. All the conjecture in the world won't answer your question until you actually try it. If it does light, leave it on a while; check the cord, the socket, the switch etc for excessive heat.

If you're overly concerned, I would wager that one of the all too numerous lamp stores probably has the correct socket in stock and could retro-fit it for you..

(edited for spelling; TWICE, lol)

Edited by tod-daniels

This looks like a typical 3-way fitting that uses a special 3-way lamp which has two filaments. Both filaments are wired at one end to the threaded part of the base. The other end of one filament is wired to the center of the base bottom, (this allows a standard bulb to be used in a 3-way lamp socket). The other end of the other filament is wired to the ring at the bottom of the base. Turning the switch connects power to the ring, the center, or both thereby determining which filament/s receive current with the circuit completed through the threaded part of the lamp base.

If you want to retain the 3-way function then you'll need to use a transformer, I've never seen 220V 3-way lamps, here or anywhere else :o

Just replacing the lamp with a regular local 220V one should work fine, but as noted before the 3-way functionality will be gone, of course you could then add an in-cord dimmer for similar operation.

Edited by Crossy

If I used a step down transformer, I would need to use 110v bulbs.. which I'm assuming are not easy to find here.

You could use a 220V bulb in a 110V supply, just wont burn as bright thats all...

Assuming you could find the 3 way bulb of course ??

Edited by Soutpeel

You could use a 220V bulb in a 110V supply, just wont burn as bright thats all...

Assuming you could find the 3 way bulb of course ??

Of course, if he could find the 220V 3-way lamp he wouldn't need the transformer :o

What you can try is to remove (or break) the glass on 2 lamps, and twist the filaments of each together.

I'm really having to restrain myself from making a nasty crack along the lines of "not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree..."

Thanks.

Rewire the lamps to 220-240

Rewire the lamps to 220-240

Thanks for the insight Liz.

Exactly how would you recommend doing this? Did you even bother reading the rest of the thread (or for that matter the OP)? :o

EDIT I'll take it all back if you can come up with a source of 220V 3-way lamps :D

Edited by Crossy

My last stab at this since most people here ('cept Crossy) probably can't spell 'lectrician but I is one.

The photos posted by the OP confirm that they are standard US-style screw-in, multi-filament globe sockets. The switch is a simple rotary type that selects various filaments to give the 3 different levels of light. There are NO hidden electronics and the switch should have no issues with the increased local voltage here as a filament globe is a 'resistive' load versus say an electric motor which is an 'inductive' load and opens a whole other can of wombats when it comes to switch amperage rating.

The OP can bring the lamps as-is to Thailand and after fitting a local-style screw-in, single filament lamp, they will work just fine with the caveat that there will be one click stop on the rotary switch where the lamp will be on (full brightness) and 3 click stops where the lamp will be off. There are NO local-style multi-filament globes in Thailand. As someone else pointed out, you can get a local 'lectrician to fit a dimmer switch to the input power lead if you need the lights down low (for those scary moments when she drops the towel?).

May I just say as a 'lectrician with taste, those be fugly lampshades.

Edited by NanLaew