Hua Hin Bike Week

RusticCharm

I met up with the Blue Dragon MC (non-'outlaw' types!) on Friday night and was treated to a lovely seafood dinner on Cha-Am beach. Nice bunch. And very fast riders. In Traffic. At night. Thankfully, I had just broken in the 848's engine and could up the revs. Those R1's do motor though.

On Saturday, the fun ride was to a local temple. I think the worshippers were rather startled to see a police car and two police bikes turn up with a bunch of very noisy bikers in tow. Though they soon warmed up and brought out the cameras.

A very nice ride almost spoiled by the antics of a few western 'squids' on big bikes but wearing t-shirts and sandals. They'd overtake by speeding down the outside of the column of riders and then cut in and slow right down.  :o

I photoshopped 3 images together for this little panorama.

hhpan.jpg

A lot of 'colors' on show which brings me to a bit of a rant. What is it with middle-aged, western, wannabee bad-ass 'outlaws' in leather vests and cut-off t-shirts?

The Thais do it as mostly a hobby and fashion thing. Yeah, they'll even have a few tattoos. But they don't really have the 40 year-old-juvenile attitude.

While Bang Saen had a good mixture of bikes and riders, Hua Hin was bit like Burupa/Pattaya. Too many leather-vest types. Not enough sport bikes or even scooters.

I parked with the Blue Dragon guys' bikes and was surprised to see the only other 848 in Thailand there.

hh2.jpg

hh1.jpg

More to come...

Edited by RusticCharm

I gotta say it was good meeting some more people from this forum. thanks Terry and Gus also Terry is so right the guys from Blue Dragon were great guys, total bikers, the house they use as a base is like a workshop.

next time i'm down that way will defo pop in and say hello. And Terry your photoshop skills are so much better than my zero skills, nice picture.

Allan

I met up with the Blue Dragon MC (non-'outlaw' types!) on Friday night and was treated to a lovely seafood dinner on Cha-Am beach. Nice bunch. And very fast riders. In Traffic. At night. Thankfully, I had just broken in the 848's engine and could up the revs. Those R1's do motor though.

On Saturday, the fun ride was to a local temple. I think the worshippers were rather startled to see a police car and two police bikes turn up with a bunch of very noisy bikers in tow. Though they soon warmed up and brought out the cameras.

A very nice ride almost spoiled by the antics of a few western 'squids' on big bikes but wearing t-shirts and sandals. They'd overtake by speeding down the outside of the column of riders and then cut in and slow right down. :o

I photoshopped 3 images together for this little panorama.

hhpan.jpg

A lot of 'colors' on show which brings me to a bit of a rant. What is it with middle-aged, western, wannabee bad-ass 'outlaws' in leather vests and cut-off t-shirts?

The Thais do it as mostly a hobby and fashion thing. Yeah, they'll even have a few tattoos. But they don't really have the 40 year-old-juvenile attitude.

While Bang Saen had a good mixture of bikes and riders, Hua Hin was bit like Burupa/Pattaya. Too many leather-vest types. Not enough sport bikes or even scooters.

I parked with the Blue Dragon guys' bikes and was surprised to see the only other 848 in Thailand there.

hh2.jpg

hh1.jpg

More to come...

few nice photos , rustic why do the back patch wearers bother you ...i bet none of them came over to you and offended you....let them do their thing and you do your thing.......you should be glad your in thailand where all the bike clubs get along and party together because remember this dosent happen any where else......some of these bike clubs that annoy you do some great work for some local charities ,childrens scchools etc...did you ever hear the saying dont judge a book by its cover......same applies here.....

rustic why do the back patch wearers bother you ...i bet none of them came over to you and offended you....
I think I'll take that bet!

There was one barechested 'outlaw' ( :o ) type apparently organising the 'bike show' who, when we (thaicbr & I) parked a little too close to the 'show' bikes, told us to move and then scurried off before we could reply.

Now if he had spoken as one should to total strangers for the first time and simply asked us, maybe I would have had some respect for the guy. But he was a total prick and just summed up for me the attitude of this type of rider.

.....some of these bike clubs that annoy you do some great work for some local charities ,childrens schools etc...did you ever hear the saying dont judge a book by its cover......same applies here.....
I hear what you say barry, but there's a fair bit of assuming in your post. I'm fully aware of the charity work, especially with Jesters in Pattaya. 

I'm not judging them by how they look but by how some of them behave.

The Thai ones in contrast were cool, approachable and featured (in stark contrast! :D ) some very hot women. One was even riding her own big bike. Suzuki I think.

rustic why do the back patch wearers bother you ...i bet none of them came over to you and offended you....

There was one barechested 'outlaw' ( :o ) type apparently organising the 'bike show' who, when we (thaicbr & I) parked a little too close to the 'show' bikes, told us to move and then scurried off before we could reply.

Now if he had spoken as one should to total strangers for the first time and simply asked us, maybe I would have had some respect for the guy. But he was a total prick and just summed up for me the attitude of this type of rider.

.....some of these bike clubs that annoy you do some great work for some local charities ,childrens schools etc...did you ever hear the saying dont judge a book by its cover......same applies here.....
I hear what you say barry, but there's a fair bit of assuming in your post. I'm fully aware of the charity work, especially with Jesters in Pattaya.

The Thai ones in contrast were cool, approachable and featured (in stark contrast! :D ) some very hot women. One was even riding her own big bike. Suzuki I think.

yes i get your point alright rustic ,there is alot of pricks in the outlaw type group-they think theyre better than the rest of us but pay no attention to them...there is always a few dick heads in every social groups.....he was probably just jealous of the nice ducati you have......i doubt a farang had anything to do with the organising of bike show ???? thai bikers are cool..they show respect to most people......

Yer Terry i remember that guy just came over and like said 'you showing that or what' so we say WHAT! he say 'you showing that, this is for show bikes this here' oh ok thanks for saying it in a civil tone, NOT.

THERE were no signs saying show area and it was so funny that later the show area had shrunk in size so much they only had room for 2 rows of bikes. there were some nice one's though.

and then there was the 2 knob heads who went past the ride out convoy in the right hand lane at breakneck speed just to drop in 50 metres further up. there where already a line of riders in each lane that these pricks revved past.

still i enjoyed my weekend :o

Looks like a fair weekend out.. Waiting for a bit more from the CM guys too..

But a Q, whats a 'squid' in the context above ?? I always thought a squid was US navy (jarhead being marine).. When I had read about squids on bikes I had made the guess it was simply meaning young forces guy on a bike, but above makes me reckon I am way out ???

Mean anything more than idiot on wheels ??

yes i get your point alright rustic ,there is alot of pricks in the outlaw type group-they think theyre better than the rest of us but pay no attention to them...there is always a few dick heads in every social groups.....he was probably just jealous of the nice ducati you have......i doubt a farang had anything to do with the organising of bike show ???? thai bikers are cool..they show respect to most people......

Of course it's jealousy, prick probably bought his first ever bike here in Thailand anyway.

Awesome bike Rustic, hope we meet soon and you give me a chance to spin it around :D for test ride.

But a Q, whats a 'squid' in the context above ?? I always thought a squid was US navy (jarhead being marine).. When I had read about squids on bikes I had made the guess it was simply meaning young forces guy on a bike, but above makes me reckon I am way out ???

LOL! A bit of American slang for you LivinLOS! :o

squid10117628vm.jpg

SHOWBOAT_SQUID.jpg

I think you get the idea? :D

Happy Trails!

Looks like a fair weekend out.. Waiting for a bit more from the CM guys too..

S.Q.U.I.D.= Stupidly Quick Underdressed Imminently Dead.

In other words, someone with a bike too powerful for their skills who does not wear protective gear, rides too fast and showboats too much.

LOL! A bit of American slang for you LivinLOS! :o

squid10117628vm.jpg

SHOWBOAT_SQUID.jpg

I think you get the idea? :D

Happy Trails!

Yeah that guy is a <deleted>, good expose.

I often think they've rented the bikes they ride on and are 2 weeker clowns cause if they owned it for real they wouldn't be so bold.

I missed the rideabout, was too hungover from the night activities at the wasteground.

Good bikes and crack though.

I'm starting a fresh thread on this as I've got a panoply of pics on the night venue by the canal road on the 6th December :D

Good pics though :D

looks like a good trip. what are the HH bike week dates? i'll have to mark in on my calendar for next year.

great pics too.

Hiya Anthony!

Oddly this year the Hua Hin Bike Week was on the same weekend as the Chiang Mai Bike Week. Hope they won't do that again in 2009!

Happy Trails!

looks like a good trip. what are the HH bike week dates? i'll have to mark in on my calendar for next year.

great pics too.

Hiya Anthony!

Oddly this year the Hua Hin Bike Week was on the same weekend as the Chiang Mai Bike Week. Hope they won't do that again in 2009!

Happy Trails!

hmmmm.....competition heh? ya let's hope next year it's held on separate weekends. the HH show looks as though it attracts more sport bikes though, i enjoyed looking at the cruisers and choppers in CM but sport bikes definately hold more interest for me.

thx

More to come...
Some more pics, this time courtesy of Hua Hin's Blue Dragon MC.

P1050236.jpg

Blue Dragon MC (center) were working on the bike week. Thai 848 owner 6th from left, Gus (netfan) is second left, Allan (thaicbr) second right and I'm far right.

P1050250.jpg

A view from the hill. I think the granny in purple is heading back to her Harley.  :D

P1050233.jpg

Buddha and bikes.

P1050222.jpg

Blue Dragon's bike line. I wonder where they bought them?  :o

P1050249.jpg

I think the girl far right was riding a large Suzuki. First Thai girl I've seen riding her own big(ish) bike.

I'll upload more tomorrow at work as I have a faster connection there.

Edited by RusticCharm

Rustic Charm,

You may remember me, I was the middle-aged (40) overweight western Harley riding, vest wearing guy (no cutoff t-shirt), who actually made an effort to say hello to you at the Hua Hin bike meet. In fact, I had to shout your name so that you could hear me ,I wasn't being beligerent, I swear !

You were in a hurry it seemed, thats the impression I got then anyways. Very abrupt short hello goodbye, but you did check the back of my vest for a patch, which I thought a bit odd at the time, now it sort of makes sense .........sort of.

I met you at Nonthaburi Bike week, then saw you at Bang Saen you were in the middle of the Ducati Tent, didn't want to bother you as a you looked quite pleased with yourself.

I've only just started going to these bike meets, to be quite honest I had no idea I'd get so much enjoyment out of riding to these events, I just want to live my dream of having a Harley.I like all kinds of bikes, I even took some pics of yours at Nonthaburi !!

So, I'm rambling...... just enjoy riding your bike whatever it is

You were in a hurry it seemed, thats the impression I got then anyways. Very abrupt short hello goodbye, but you did check the back of my vest for a patch, which I thought a bit odd at the time, now it sort of makes sense .........sort of.
Ooops! I didn't mean to be rude. Just leaving in order to catch the footie downtown.

Sorry about the patch thing. That <deleted> from earlier had put me in a bit of a mood and I tarred everyone with the same brush. My bad!  :o

I met you at Nonthaburi Bike week, then saw you at Bang Saen you were in the middle of the Ducati Tent, didn't want to bother you as a you looked quite pleased with yourself.
Ooops again!  :D

Yeah, I was in my element there but didn't mean to come across as smug. It may have been something to do with finally meeting some fellow Ducati riders and also the rather talkative Thai cutie next to me.

I was the middle-aged (40) overweight western
I guess we do have something in common. Edited by RusticCharm

What you got planned for this weekend Samut Prachan or Saraburi or both like some people have in mind
To be honest, I wasn't aware of either.

Are there any threads?

Oh, just checked GT-Rider. Saraburi is held over 2 weeks?

Anyway, apologies again. I guess I shouldn't generalize so much. Yourself and the two other guys at Nonthaburi Bike Week are very nice chaps and real bikers.

Edited by RusticCharm