Football Team Nicknames

5tash

When reading the sport in a Thai newspaper, I find it interesting the amount of nicknames used for different teams. Especially football (soccer), because that's a sport I'm interested in. The nicknames are slightly different to the actual real nicknames, the nicknames used seemed to be named after the clubs crest. For example Liverpool's nickname is "the reds", but because of the swan (it's not actually a swan, it's a liver bird) on the clubs crest, in Thai they're known as "the red swans". Another example is Chelsea, they're either known as "the blues" or "the pensioners", but because of the fancy lion design on their crest, in Thai they are known as "the stylish lions", I think that the nickname may also have something to do with how fashionable the team has become.

I thought it would be interesting to put together a list of teams and their Thai nicknames. Some of you may have an interest in football and would like to help out. I thought it would be best to start with the English Premier League as those are the nicknames most frequently seen in newspapers. I'll start with the team at the top of the table:

Liverpool “หงส์แดง”

Chelsea

Man Utd

Arsenal

Aston Villa

Hull City

Portsmouth

Everton

Fulham

Bolton

Wigan Athletic

Middlesbrough

Stoke City

Man City

West Ham Utd

Newcastle

Tottenham

Sunderland

Blackburn

WBA

Please feel free to have a go!

When reading the sport in a Thai newspaper, I find it interesting the amount of nicknames used for different teams. Especially football (soccer), because that's a sport I'm interested in. The nicknames are slightly different to the actual real nicknames, the nicknames used seemed to be named after the clubs crest. For example Liverpool's nickname is "the reds", but because of the swan (it's not actually a swan, it's a liver bird) on the clubs crest, in Thai they're known as "the red swans". Another example is Chelsea, they're either known as "the blues" or "the pensioners", but because of the fancy lion design on their crest, in Thai they are known as "the stylish lions", I think that the nickname may also have something to do with how fashionable the team has become.

I thought it would be interesting to put together a list of teams and their Thai nicknames. Some of you may have an interest in football and would like to help out. I thought it would be best to start with the English Premier League as those are the nicknames most frequently seen in newspapers. I'll start with the team at the top of the table:

Liverpool "หงส์แดง"

Chelsea

Man Utd

Arsenal

Aston Villa

Hull City

Portsmouth

Everton

Fulham

Bolton

Wigan Athletic

Middlesbrough

Stoke City

Man City

West Ham Utd

Newcastle

Tottenham

Sunderland

Blackburn

WBA

จำได้แต่ชื่อเล่นหนื่งคือ ทีมมะกะโรนี แต่ไม่แน่ว่าเขามาจากไน!

Edited by tgeezer

I think "มะกะโรนี" is the nickname for the Italian national football team.

I think "มะกะโรนี" is the nickname for the Italian national football team.

Gotcha. :o

ปีศาจแดง I remember this one came up when I was studying. The meaning's basically the same as the real nickname although evidently my teacher and I had a slightly different image of what a ปีศาจ is.

Liverpool “หงส์แดง”

Chelsea

Man Utd

Arsenal

Aston Villa

Hull City

Portsmouth

Everton

Fulham

Bolton

Wigan Athletic

Middlesbrough

Stoke City

Man City

West Ham Utd

Newcastle

Tottenham

Sunderland

Blackburn

WBA

thought liverpool was the red <deleted>.

I've seen Arsenal referred to as ปืนใหญ่, or sometimes just ปืน.

Yes that's another one, the gunners.

ปีศาจแดง I remember this one came up when I was studying. The meaning's basically the same as the real nickname although evidently my teacher and I had a slightly different image of what a ปีศาจ is.

Normally, in newspapers this nickname is written as "ผีแดง", I wonder if that is an abbreviation of "ผีปีศาจแดง"?

I've seen Arsenal referred to as ปืนใหญ่, or sometimes just ปืน.

Yes that's another one, the gunners.

Normally, in newspapers this nickname is written as "ผีแดง", I wonder if that is an abbreviation of "ผีปีศาจแดง"?

The original Thai word can have the word ghost added to it as you said ผีปีศาจ. I don't read about football much but I remember the article I read at school just had ปีศาจแดง. A bit of googling suggests to me that the fans here use various combinations of the words.

thought liverpool was the red <deleted>.

Mmm... not quite what I meant when I said "feel free to have a go!"

How about posting something useful and telling us what the toffee men, Everton are known as in Thai?

Dear 5tash,

Liverpool หงส์แดง

Chelsea สิงห์โตน้ำเงินคราม

Man Utd ปีศาจแดง

Arsenal ปืนใหญ่

Aston Villa สิงห์ผงาด

Hull City ไทเกอร์ (เจ้าเสือน้อย)

Portsmouth (pompey)

Everton ท็อฟฟี่ (สีน้ำเงิน)

Fulham เจ้าสัวน้อย

Bolton (The trotter)

Wigan Athletic

Middlesbrough โบโร่ (Boro)

Stoke City

Man City เรือใบสีฟ้า

West Ham Utd ขุนค้อน

Newcastle สาลิกา

Tottenham ไก่เดือยทอง

Sunderland แมวดำ

Blackburn กุหลาบไฟ

WBA

From my searching and asking from my fanatic football's friends,

Here are some of the nicknames in Thai of the English Premier League Team

Nice Day,

Kroo Ae

My Thai Language School

Kroo Ae, thanks very much, very helpful.

Another nickname for Chelsea is "สิงห์สำอาว", the fashionable lions.

How would Aston Villa's nickname (สิงห์ผงาด) translate? Would it be "the formidable lions" or possibly "the giant lions"?

I see that Fulham's nickname (เจ้าสัวน้อย) could now apply to a number of clubs, of recent times Chelsea and Man City come to mind.

Still a few to go yet, keep them coming.

Liverpool - หงส์แดง, เครื่องจักรสีแดง

Chelsea - สิงโตน้ำเงินคราม, สิงห์บลูส์, สิงห์สำอาง

Man Utd - ผีแดง, ปีศาจแดง

Arsenal - ปืนใหญ่, ปืนโต

Aston Villa - สิงห์ผยอง, สิงห์ผงาด

Hull City - พี่เสือ, เสือใหญ่, เดอะไทเกอร์ส(the tigers)

Portsmouth - เดอะปอมปีย์ (the pompey)

Everton - ท๊อฟฟี่สีน้ำเงิน

Fulham - เจ้าสัวน้อย

Bolton - เดอะทรอตเตอร์ (the trotters)

Wigan Athletic - เดอะลาติกส์ (the latics)

Middlesbrough - สิงห์แดง, เดอะโบโร่, โบโร่

Stoke City - ช่างปั้นหม้อ

Man City - เรือใบสีฟ้า

West Ham Utd - ขุนค้อน

Newcastle - สาลิกา, สาลิกาดง

Tottenham - ไก่เดือยทอง

Sunderland - แมวดำ

Blackburn - กุหลาบไฟ

WBA - เดอะแบ๊กกีย์ (the baggies)

Thank you Khun Yoot, for completing the list.

Did you know the nicknames already? Or is there a website that has them listed? Thanks.

I know most of them already.

There is a website that has the nickname of each teams but not the nickname which is called in Thai. Most of the nicknames in Thai were from English version but more stylish. :o