Which Visa And Where?

I will quit my job in Thailand per 31. Dec 2008. I have a new employer in Thailand as per 1.1.2009.

My current company will take back my work permit and will probably request immigration to give me 14 days to get a new visa.

What options do I have. I could go to Singapore Thai Embassy and apply for a new 3 M non immigrant visa, which would provide enough time to get the new work permit. On the other hand I am married to my Thai wife for more than 10 yrs and staying with her here. Could I apply for a marriage visa within Thailand or is this also only possible outside of Thailand?

Any advise? Thanks.

The day your job ends is the day your permission to stay ends and you will have to elave the country. You can get a 7 day extension at a cost for 1,900 baht, for which you have to apply at immigration. Being married to a Thai would give you an extension of 60 days.

If you meet the requirements, incoem of 40,000 a month or 400,000 in a Thai bank account you can apply for an extension of stay based on your marriage to a Thai national. Thsi would be the best option for you and would also allow you to apply for a new employer.

Do this extension as early as possible and don't wait till the last day. Get a letter from your employer stating when your job will be terminated and apply for the extension. Call imigration first to see which additional documents they will require.

You shouldn't have any problem changing to a marriage extension. That way your extension is not dependent on working. If you loose your job you don't loose your extension.

You can get a work permit with this extension also.

You will be able to prove income by way of tax payments.

The day your job ends is the day your permission to stay ends and you will have to elave the country. You can get a 7 day extension at a cost for 1,900 baht, for which you have to apply at immigration. Being married to a Thai would give you an extension of 60 days.

If you meet the requirements, incoem of 40,000 a month or 400,000 in a Thai bank account you can apply for an extension of stay based on your marriage to a Thai national. Thsi would be the best option for you and would also allow you to apply for a new employer.

Do this extension as early as possible and don't wait till the last day. Get a letter from your employer stating when your job will be terminated and apply for the extension. Call imigration first to see which additional documents they will require.

Thanks a very helpful reply! I will go to immigration soon and try to do as you suggested.

Moo9