Eat A Healthy Diet In Thailand ?--

cojones

i cant imagine in BKK where you could eat this healthy diet .

breakfasts at hotels are always the full monty eggs and bacon ,never seen a healthy breakfast anywhere . and where could you buy dark chocolate in BKK ?

Food of life is for real say experts

Dec 17 2004

By Lyndsay Moss, Daily Post

IT IS possible to extend your life and avoid heart disease by regularly eating the "ideal healthy meal " , scientists revealed last night.

Diners should eat fish, dark chocolate, fruit and vegetables, almonds and garlic and down some red wine on a daily basis for longer healthier lives.

The team suggested that dining out regularly on these ingredients - dubbed the Polymeal - could cut the risk of heart disease by 76%.

Researchers said the effect was most dramatic in men, meaning they would live on average 6.6 years longer.

They would also live for nine years longer without suffering from heart disease, while those who did succumb would suffer for less of their lives.

In women the Polymeal increased life expectancy by nearly five years, the researchers suggested.

They said it would also delay the onset of heart disease for eight years longer.

They gathered evidence on the beneficial effects of different types of food, including fish, dark chocolate, wine and garlic, in reducing heart dis-ease, blood pressure and cholesterol levels.

From this, they worked out the combined effect of the ingredients and calculated their potential effect on an adult population.

The researchers, from the University Medical Centre Rotterdam in the Netherlands, looked at the literature about the beneficial effects of different food types.

For example, daily consumption of 150ml of wine reduces heart disease by 32%, while fish eaten four times a week cuts heart disease by 14%.

A daily dose of dark chocolate was also found to reduce blood pressure.

They estimated that the Polymeal would cost on average around £15 a week.

"The Polymeal is an effective, natural, probably safer, and tastier alternative to the Poly-pill to reduce cardiovascular disease and increase life expectancy in the general population," researchers said..

In a light-hearted aside, the team said an adverse effect of the garlic part of the meal could include "malodorous breath and body odour".

But they said: "As garlic is destined for mass treatment, few people will still notice this after a while."

The team added: "Considering the disturbing adverse effects of garlic, we do not recommend taking the Polymeal before a romantic rendezvous, unless the partner also complies with the Polymeal."

thais woudnt be fazed about bad breath !they all got it :o

I ate fried rice with various meats, piles of baby corn and egg a fair bit, lots and lots of fruit, and quite a bit of seafood.

When I spent 2 weeks in Bangkok I ate healthier and tastier than I've ever eaten before in my life- maybe it has more to do with hotel food than Thailand?

• 2 weeks later...
i cant imagine in BKK where you could eat this healthy diet .

breakfasts at hotels are always the full monty eggs and bacon ,never seen a healthy breakfast anywhere . and where could you buy dark chocolate in BKK ?

like the other poster said, stop eating at the hotel!

you can get dark chocolate at the Market at Emporium (BTS: Phrom Phong) on the floor with the food court thing - they have the Lindt Swiss Thins, good for controlling portions and good box for storage :o

I know a lot of thai food uses a ton of oil.. but hey.. just educate yourself on nutrition and it will be easier to make food choices. go for the steamed fish instead of the fried fish. how about some vegtables. and the TONS of fruit. (yes thailand has more than the pineapples and watermelons that they serve at hotels).

I am still convinced that either the not-so-healthy foods here are still better than the fast food crap in the states. I've been here for a few months and this is the healthiest I've eaten my whole life. fresh foods, everyday.