Red Light Cameras

KhaoNiaw

I just heard from the radio this morning that red light cameras have been installed at traffic lights at 30 locations around Bangkok. They're still in the trial period and will officially be going into action on 30 December. I'm not sure when the trial started but 5,000 red light violations have been noted so far.

If you go through a red, you will be sent 3 photos (before/during/after), a 500-baht ticket, plus, I think they said, a request for 3 baht in administative costs.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

There are quite a few products on the market designed to foil the red light cameras by obscuring your license plate to the camera but appearing normal to the naked eye. Some anti-photo devices are more effective than the others but one of the most effective appears to be the spray. You can see the results of some tests of the various devices done by a police department by click on the following link

Many of the cities here in the US are now installing the red light cameras in an attempt to increase their revenues and are passing laws that ban the sale and use of anti photo license plate devices (however the devices are available through the internet).

There are quite a few products on the market designed to foil the red light cameras by obscuring your license plate to the camera but appearing normal to the naked eye. Some anti-photo devices are more effective than the others but one of the most effective appears to be the spray. You can see the results of some tests of the various devices done by a police department by click on the following link

Many of the cities here in the US are now installing the red light cameras in an attempt to increase their revenues and are passing laws that ban the sale and use of anti photo license plate devices (however the devices are available through the internet).

And all these products are absolute rubbish...they dont work....dont you watch Mythbusters on Discovery, they debunked all kinds of devices, sprays etc as applied to number plates...

The only sure way not to get caught on camera is to be driving at about 186 mph+, this was proved by the BBC Top Gear program, problem is to beat the fines you need to be driving a high end Ferrarri, Lambo or similar...so if you can afford a car like this, you wouldnt exactly be worried about a THB 500 fine...

• 1 month later...

1. ผ่าสัญญานไฟแดง นอกจากนี้พวกที่ฝ่าไฟเหลืองก็มีโทษเช่นเดียวกับฝ่าไฟแดง

แต่จะไม่ตัดแต้ม

2. จอดติดสัญญานไฟแดงทับเส้นขาวด้านหน้า

3. จอดรถติดสัญานไฟคร่อมช่องทาง (คร่อมเส้นขาว)

วันที่เริ่มต้นใช้ตั้งแต่วันที่ 30 ธ.ค 51

ไฟแดงที่มีกล้องมีดังต่อไปนี้

1.แยกรัชดาฯ-ลาดพร้าว

2.แยกบ้านม้า

3.แยคลองตัน

4.แยกอโศกเพชร

5.แยกวิทยุ-เพลินจิต

6.แยกซังฮี้

7.แยกพญาไท

8.แยกโชคชัย

9.แยกนิด้า

10.แยกอุรุพงษ์

11.แยกประดิพัทธ์

12.แยกรัชดาฯ-พระราม 4

13.แยกลำสาลี

14.แยกบ้านแขก

15.แยกบางพลัด

16.แยกนรินทร

17.แยกราชประสงค์

18.แยกอโศกสุขุมวิท

19.แยกสาทร

20.แยกตากสิน

21.แยกโพธิ์แก้ว

22.แยกพัฒนาการ-ตัดรามฯ

23.แยกร่มเกล้า

24.แยกศุลกากร

25.แยกเหม่งจ๋าย

26.แยกท่าพระ

27.แยกประเวศ

28.แยกอังรีดูนังต์

29.แยกประชานุกูล

30.แยกบางโพ

ค่าปรับ : มีอัตราเดียว 500 บาท เป็นความผิดตามพ.ร.บ.จราจรทางบก ข้อหาขับรถ

ฝ่าฝืนสัญญาณ

จราจรไฟสีแดง มาตรา 22 (2) มีโทษตามมาตรา 152 ปรับไม่เกิน 1,000 บาท และ

ตัดแต้ม 40 คะแนนใครเลี่ยงบาลีเอากระดาษปิดป้ายทะเบียนหวังหลบเลี่ยง โดนปรับเพิ่ม

Lots of people run the reds... Especially at major intersections where they know they will be waiting for another 5+ minutes.... If the traffic stops for a brief second I see atleast 5 - 6 motorbikes try to gun it every day accross the asoke/sukhumvit intersection, its so dangerous, especially if a few differnt directions decide to do it at the same time :o

Why would anyone run a red light, big chance you get hit by an other car. I don't really see the problem.

"I don't really see the problem"

You just need to stand at any traffic light controlled (sic) intersection in the realm and you will see that probably more than 50% of Thais run the red lights.

They are either still going on amber and into red or they jump the gun before the red changes to green.

They line up on the wrong side of the road if they are waiting for a "green" light to allow them to turn right.

I have worked (lived) in more than 15 countries and no where are the drivers less disciplined than here in Thailand. :o

I have worked (lived) in more than 15 countries and no where are the drivers less disciplined than here in Thailand. :o

Come to India my friend :D

Incidentally, Bangalore have recently introduced red-light cameras, seems to have had little effect upon the mayhem :D

And all these products are absolute rubbish...they dont work....dont you watch Mythbusters on Discovery, they debunked all kinds of devices, sprays etc as applied to number plates...

The only sure way not to get caught on camera is to be driving at about 186 mph+, this was proved by the BBC Top Gear program, problem is to beat the fines you need to be driving a high end Ferrarri, Lambo or similar...so if you can afford a car like this, you wouldnt exactly be worried about a THB 500 fine...

They cannot all be fake.

I cannot remember the name of the programme that was on UK television about the Police and their in-car cameras were picking out number plates disguised using one of the sprays and the number plate image was distorted. The culprits were given a tug and prosecuted.

Why would anyone run a red light, big chance you get hit by an other car. I don't really see the problem.

It's the "convoy" system. If you are in a stream of vehicles going straight through traffic lights and the lights change to red, how is anyone from the left or right going to proceed without causing an accident?

At some major crossroads, the lights are on for 2 minutes for each of the 4 directions. So if you miss getting through it can be 6 minutes you have to wait. The police actually do a good job at some junctions, giving extra time to particular directions at the expense of the poor b*ggers waiting for 10 minutes from a little used direction.

I just heard from the radio this morning that red light cameras have been installed at traffic lights at 30 locations around Bangkok. They're still in the trial period and will officially be going into action on 30 December. I'm not sure when the trial started but 5,000 red light violations have been noted so far.

If you go through a red, you will be sent 3 photos (before/during/after), a 500-baht ticket, plus, I think they said, a request for 3 baht in administative costs.

By a police sticker and paste in on your fully blacked out rear window.

Remove front license plate, they never really worry.

Drive only the company car.

• 2 weeks later...

When the economy is bad you know they are out in force collecting money.

They are on a revenue raising exercise at the moment.

They are also located at intersections with lots of lanes that motorists have to change.

Plan Ahead & drive carefully :o

2 worst things about Thailand

1.trains

2. police. just like they did last night. Nothing.

Hi there.

These red-light-cameras play very well together with that new scam i found recently - to do with those countdown timers that show you how much "green" or "red" you are supposed to have left over.

A cop just manually overrides the counter, switches the light to "red" when a moment ago you still saw "8 seconds green remaining" and stayed on the gas - and voila, they have an offender and the picture to prove it.

Oh yes, they DO give you the "amber" - almost half a second. Noticed that a few times by now at the intersections Sukhumvit-Rama IV, Ekkamai-Rama IX and Sukhumvit-Bangna-Trat.

Best regards.....

Thanh

....A cop just manually overrides the counter, switches the light to "red" when a moment ago you still saw "8 seconds green remaining" and stayed on the gas - and voila, they have an offender and the picture to prove it...

I don't believe you.

Believe whatever you want.....

But give me an alternative reason for a green traffic light with the "green counter" showing "8" suddenly turning to amber and, less than the blink of an eye later, turning to red? And the other direction remaining red for some 10 seconds as if yours was still green? And a cop sitting in the box? And two more cops hiding behind a parked van 200 meters further, ready to jump onto the road and stop you?

For me that is NOT a coincidence.

Best regards.....

Thanh

I saw the red light camera piece on the news last month where a very old guy in a police uniform smirked his way through an interview about the fool proof system now in place. What struck me as odd was the fact that it seemed he was only interested in the license number of the vehicle. In the samples he never showed a shot of the driver just three pictures of the vehicle and the license plate. At the time I thought that they again bought the wrong equipment because in most developed countries a clear picture of the driver is also required to make a case.

Colonel Smirky said his people just send out bills to the registered owner and takes points of of their driver's license for the year. I think they went with the bid that gave back the most to the police and will find the equipment substandard. Someone down the line will figure out that you cannot just give the car a ticket for a moving violation. This program will die a natural death like most IT trials in LOS. The vendor sold them vaporware again with no maintenance component.

• 1 month later...

Anyone got these on a map yet? Google Earth or whatever?

แต่จะไม่ตัดแต้ม

1.แยกรัชดาฯ-ลาดพร้าว

2.แยกบ้านม้า

3.แยคลองตัน

4.แยกอโศกเพชร

5.แยกวิทยุ-เพลินจิต

6.แยกซังฮี้

7.แยกพญาไท

8.แยกโชคชัย

9.แยกนิด้า

10.แยกอุรุพงษ์

11.แยกประดิพัทธ์

12.แยกรัชดาฯ-พระราม 4

13.แยกลำสาลี

14.แยกบ้านแขก

15.แยกบางพลัด

16.แยกนรินทร

17.แยกราชประสงค์

18.แยกอโศกสุขุมวิท

19.แยกสาทร

20.แยกตากสิน

21.แยกโพธิ์แก้ว

22.แยกพัฒนาการ-ตัดรามฯ

23.แยกร่มเกล้า

24.แยกศุลกากร

25.แยกเหม่งจ๋าย

26.แยกท่าพระ

27.แยกประเวศ

28.แยกอังรีดูนังต์

29.แยกประชานุกูล

30.แยกบางโพ

ฝ่าฝืนสัญญาณ

Anyone got these on a map yet? Google Earth or whatever?

แต่จะไม่ตัดแต้ม

1.แยกรัชดาฯ-ลาดพร้าว

2.แยกบ้านม้า

3.แยคลองตัน

4.แยกอโศกเพชร

5.แยกวิทยุ-เพลินจิต

6.แยกซังฮี้

7.แยกพญาไท

8.แยกโชคชัย

9.แยกนิด้า

10.แยกอุรุพงษ์

11.แยกประดิพัทธ์

12.แยกรัชดาฯ-พระราม 4

13.แยกลำสาลี

14.แยกบ้านแขก

15.แยกบางพลัด

16.แยกนรินทร

17.แยกราชประสงค์

18.แยกอโศกสุขุมวิท

19.แยกสาทร

20.แยกตากสิน

21.แยกโพธิ์แก้ว

22.แยกพัฒนาการ-ตัดรามฯ

23.แยกร่มเกล้า

24.แยกศุลกากร

25.แยกเหม่งจ๋าย

26.แยกท่าพระ

27.แยกประเวศ

28.แยกอังรีดูนังต์

29.แยกประชานุกูล

30.แยกบางโพ

ฝ่าฝืนสัญญาณ

could someone translate please? it would be nice to mark these on the map.