Washing Machine Model?

GungaDin

I have an LG toploading automatic washing machine that we bought back in early 2002 with hot and cold fill. Unfortunately I have not hot water access but other than that it is an 11kg load and has served us faithfully for nearly 7 years.

At one stage we had 12 people regularly using it and it just keeps on going.

When it eventually dies I would like to replce it with another top loading automatic but with a heating element for hot washes.

LG can't beat them.

I also have a LG toploader (6.5 kg) and it has been working great for the past 6 years.

If you are in Bangkok, go to Sukhumvit soi 69/1. You can get all brands there and negotiate a 10-15% discount.

They will delivery direct to you door.

Robert

We also have an automatic 8 KG LG. It is more than four years old and has never had a problem. I think the twin tub models are manual and involve more work. One side for washing and the other side for the spin cycle.

I would not bother with a twin-tub...for a bit more money you can get a single-tub automatic. Load it, launch it, forget it.

We have a Samsung 6.5 kg automatic...it is more than sufficient for two people.

Before that we had a twin-tub (I forget the brand name). I had two gripes with that one:

1) It seemed to tie the clothes in knots

2) Having to tend to it as mentioned above... :o

Load it

Fill it with water, add detergent

Run for 15 minutes

Drain water

Fill water, no detergent

Run for 15 minutes

Fill water, no detergent

Run for 15 minutes

Move part of the load to the spin tub

Spin for 6 minutes

Move the rest of the load to the spin tub

Spin for 6 minutes

Our, meaning my wife's, LG is programmable. It's a fuzzy logic controller. I did a load of laundry ONCE. Now I am no longer allowed to touch her washing machine. She has it programmed the way she wants it and no one but her can touch the controls. :o

I got told that the front loading are a lot better than the top loading.

But I have no experiences myself....just telling what I got told.

I do not agree with what you were told. I have had both and would only have a top loader from now on, space permitting.

Top loaders accommodate more laundry thus saving multiple loads.

Most importantly, as forgetful as I am, it is easy to add a forgotten sock or whatever to a top loader. With a front loader it is impossible until the cycle is finished.

My Samsung 7.5 kg in Bkk was so impressive that I bought another for the condo in Jomtien.

My contractor wanted to install a front loader or a stackable type combination because of space limitations but I said no and we created a space where the dryer is at eye level on a solid shelf and the top loading Samsung is underneath it.

I have had both and would only have a top loader from now on, space permitting.

Top loaders accommodate more laundry thus saving multiple loads.

it is easy to add a forgotten sock or whatever to a top loader. With a front loader it is impossible until the cycle is finished.

Ever wonder why the truck having ready mixed concrete tank must circle the tank like a front loader washer? Because it's the better way to mix things inside.

After our 5kg front loader was dead, we bought 11kg top loader. Reason was, back then front loader was 3 times more expensive.

I swear I'll never use any top loader. Clothes were tied in knots and were torn after being pulled especially the long pants. I had to use hand to pull them away from each other.

I just bought a 7kg Electrolux front loader. The start button is also the add clothes button, so I don't need to wait until the cycle is finished. Only when it has quite a lot of water / detergent inside that I can't open. When it just starts and water is going in, I can press that add clothes button, the water stops, and the door is released, when I press the add clothes button again, the door is locked and water goes in again. Or after it spins, I can open the door by pressing that button. With a little detergent inside, I still can open.

This 7kg can take a lot of clothes, the amount that the nasty 11kg top loader can't handle. The top loader just moved at the bottom so those at top are not cleaned properly and I had to pull those at bottom up so these could go down.

With front loader machine, I can place towels and basket at the top. With the top loader, I cannot put anything there.

• 3 months later...
I got told that the front loading are a lot better than the top loading.

But I have no experiences myself....just telling what I got told.

Hi,

What is better with frontloader machines is the way the barrel (? in mean the part where you put the clothes) moves, allowing clothes to go in and out of the water, what is not possible with a usual toploader Thai washing machine.

But i had before in Europe a toploader washing machine moving exactly as a frontloader, so I wonder if it is possible to find one here ?

Also, do you know any Thai machine that warms the water? Or is it possible to plug a bathroom water heater to bring hot water to the washing machine ?!

Thanks for replies.

Don't worry they all wash passports well.

Thanks Harry. :D

I finished up with a Panasonic top loader, the 8kg load model.

I had to wash 120+ shirts......... the trick is to wash only 5kgs at a time, and it's superb for washing large duvets.

I agree about tangled clothes, you just have to be careful untangling the buggers.

One con: No pump for draining the water out, it's a PITA gravity job. :o

Overall , I'm pleased with my purchase. :D

IMHO front loaders are better because they have got the hot water feature and front loader make it easier to take the clothes out and also you will not get clothes in knots. Front loaders supposedly lasts longer too

Front loaders have a nasty habit of leaking.

Last year bought a 11 kilo LG hot/cold job from home pro for ~20K. I was very skeptical about spending that much on a plastic machine, (comfortable with whirlpool and GE sturdy metal bodies) but my wife loves it. Never a problem ... yet.

Don't ask me about functions, I've never touched it.

I have a Samsung Tornado 8kg Top Loader - the best washing machine i ever had, and not expensive here, like back in the UK. Before this Samsung, I had quite a few Twin Tubs - never again, it tangled my clothes into one big lump, and was hard work, my hands were always wet.

I noticed that Samsung had some good mentions in other threads.

I have an auto (front-loader) Samsung in storage in Aus, a superb machine, but doesn't qualify as unaccompanied baggage,

neither did my new 422 litre Samsung fridge. :o

We have had a 13 kg Samsung for about 5 years it had a problem with the electronics needing replacement otherwise has been great. The 13 kg model also will handle the largest of blankets easily.

From reading done, and stories told, front loaders are better. More capacity for the size, clean better. previous posts pretty much cover it, leaks should be easily fixed with a door gasket. We have used an electrolux 'til it died of old age, replaced it with a newer model (?) the shock absorbers have worn after 5 years, and the spin cycle stopped running. fixing's in the works.

hope to hear what your new purchase is like, I may have to go for a new one myself.