One Year Visa If Have Thai Child

a friend of mine is now having to do 15 day border runs as his one year visa has expired, he has heard that it may be possible to get a one year visa extension as his girlfriend has just had a baby and it has his surname on the birth certificate. my friend is from england

can anyone help?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a friend of mine is now having to do 15 day border runs as his one year visa has expired, he has heard that it may be possible to get a one year visa extension as his girlfriend has just had a baby and it has his surname on the birth certificate. my friend is from england

can anyone help?

Yes he can do this regardless of his age if he has 40,000 Baht monthly income OR 400,000 in a Thai bank.

Police Order. 2.18 (5)

Tell me if I understand this correctly... Im an american, 33 yrs old, and have a baby with my girlfriend... I always enter with a double entry tourist visa and usually come back and get another after 6 months, visit with friends and family in the US and go back to thailand... According to this police order they will allow me to stay for 60 days at a time... Do I just bring my Daughters Birth Certificate every 60 days to Immigration and they will give me another 60 days??? Please Correct me if I am misunderstanding something, or add any details or use of this in practice???

THANKS IN ADVANCE...

Tell me if I understand this correctly... Im an american, 33 yrs old, and have a baby with my girlfriend... I always enter with a double entry tourist visa and usually come back and get another after 6 months, visit with friends and family in the US and go back to thailand... According to this police order they will allow me to stay for 60 days at a time... Do I just bring my Daughters Birth Certificate every 60 days to Immigration and they will give me another 60 days??? Please Correct me if I am misunderstanding something, or add any details or use of this in practice???

THANKS IN ADVANCE...

It always used to be a one time only thing. Ask Immigration.

Why don't you try for the 12 month extension under rule 2.18 (5)

I phoned Korat Immigration and went through it with them.

They want a letter from your bank showing 400k for at least 60 days or evidence of 40k a month. Obviously they want your passport. They also want the birth certificate and the mother to go with you and the baby. I guess having the baby's passports would not be a bad thing either.

Korat seemed very up to speed on the phone and were aware of the removal of the 50 year old age stipulation.

They want a letter from your bank showing 400k for at least 60 days or evidence of 40k a month. Obviously they want your passport. They also want the birth certificate and the mother to go with you and the baby. I guess having the baby's passports would not be a bad thing either.

Korat seemed very up to speed on the phone and were aware of the removal of the 50 year old age stipulation.

Yes. Apply in Thailand at Immigration.

Thanks for that torrenova. I too deal with Korat and find them very helpful.

hi,

Is the 1 year visa still in place for people who have a Thai child, are over 50 years of age and don't have to show any money requirements or have they scrapped it?

thanks,

jjp

Thanks Terrenova and Lite Beer for the information... And to Thailand Immigration for doing something sensible for the first time since I moved here 3 years ago... This is Great news for me... I just activated my second entry and will be calling the states tomorrow to have the appropriate funds transferred into my account here (normally just use the atm as the rates have been getting more favorable) figured better to have some time period with the full amount in bank for them JIC... So, instead of going for a 30 day extention myself, the girlfriend, and my LOVELY daughter will be at immigration looking to get a one year... (The girlfriend will love waiting down there). Lite beer I googled for a thai copy of this order JIC they are unaware down there... Any ideas where I could acquire this... And what section shall I POLITELY cite, so as to not cause loss of face, if he is unaware of the changes??? Thanks again for everybodies help... Particularly terrenova.... I would have never even attempted a phone call to immigration... But thats what u get for assuming... Ill post after my attempt in about two months... Hopefully others will also, Always weary of new regulations and attempting to be the first one in... Anyhow gotta go feed my one year extention... Best dam_n thing ever happened to me in my life!!!

Thanks again...

post-47600-1229391924_thumb.jpg

hi,

Is the 1 year visa still in place for people who have a Thai child, are over 50 years of age and don't have to show any money requirements or have they scrapped it?

thanks,

jjp

No. That has been replaced by this. 2.18(5)

Hi, I applied for my extension based on over 50 and thai child at Suan Plu on Dec. 11.

I was not asked to show any money or income.

Since i had read about 2.18(5) here on TV I had brought it with me and showed it to the officer and asked if there was any change in the regs.

She said "NO, the change is that for those Under 50, they can now get an extension by showing 400K or a monthly income of no less than 40K".

She was Not using any discretionary powers with my application and she was adamant that the new regulations had been discussed at Immigration and that there were No Changes to the rules for "Over 50 with Thai child". One of the reasons for not having to show money is basically that my child is suppoed to support ME, not the other way around.

I will pick up my extension in mid January and ask again.

// touch

Edited by touch

hi,

thanks,

jjp

I believe that the "zero" financial requirement has been scrapped. Certainly the 50+ rule has gone.

Although as with everything visa related it is at the discretion of the Officer you see.

I have this type of visa extension and am going to the Korat Immigration Office this week. I will post what I find out later.

Since i had read about 2.18(5) here on TV I had brought it with me and showed it to the officer and asked if there was any change in the regs.

She said "NO, the change is that for those Under 50, they can now get an extension by showing 400K or a monthly income of no less than 40K".

The Immigration Officer is wrong. The new Police Order cancels the previous Order 2006.

However , if they want to read it that way it is good luck for anyone who goes down this route.

Maybe they were using this clause.

In other necessary circumstances, The Immigration Commissioner or Deputy of Immigration Commissioner may approve on case to case basis.

Lite beer I googled for a thai copy of this order JIC they are unaware down there... Any ideas where I could acquire this... And what section shall I POLITELY cite, so as to not cause loss of face, if he is unaware of the changes???

Thanks again...

The Order in Thai. The section is 2.18(5) You will have to get your other half to find it.

The Immigration Officer is wrong. The new Police Order cancels the previous Order 2006.

However , if they want to read it that way it is good luck for anyone who goes down this route.

Maybe they were using this clause.

In other necessary circumstances, The Immigration Commissioner or Deputy of Immigration Commissioner may approve on case to case basis.

She may be wrong, or not, but she DID say that the new regulations had been discussed at immigration and that there were No changes to over 50 with Thai child.

The changes were for those that applied and were under 50 y.o.

She also said she didn't use any discretionary powers with my application.

As for the question about the "Under Consideration" , Yes it still there.

//t

hi,

thanks,

jjp

No. That has been replaced by this. 2.18(5)

Hi, I applied for my extension based on over 50 and thai child at Suan Plu on Dec. 11.

I was not asked to show any money or income.

She was Not using any discretionary powers with my application and she was adamant that the new regulations had been discussed at Immigration and that there were No Changes to the rules for "Over 50 with Thai child". One of the reasons for not having to show money is basically that my child is suppoed to support ME, not the other way around.

I will pick up my extension in mid January and ask again.

// touch

Thanks for the information Touch......just goes to show how impossible it can be to deal with immigration in Thailand. My reading of the new rules is that she SHOULD NOT have given you that visa (I got mine a couple of months ago and it was so easy and straightforward) and I'd guess that you got lucky. I'd say to anyone else in the "over 50 with a Thai child" category going to Suan Phlu (not elsewhere where I've heard they have always demanded proof of funds or income) is by all means try to get one under the old rule but be prepared to meet the new rule (i.e have proof of income or funds) because you might not be as lucky as Touch. Boy oh boy, talk about make it up as they go along!!

I am still waiting for my approval, but the immigration lady had stated to me that the Ampur document for who is the Daddy papers has changed and now they only will accept an officially court granted paper. Anyone run into this problem yet? I sure would hate to have to go through the process of having to do this for next year, time consuming and spendy. Anyway the immigration officer accepted the documents and sent the file to BKK for approval. But this week will be 3 months of under concideration and what is what.

Uncletom

That has already been required in the past for the application by an unmarried foreign father of a Thai child younger than seven years.

--

Maestro

Sorry Maestro, can you clarify what you mean by this.

I am not legally married and have a 17 month old daughter and all that Korat say they want is the baby's birth certificate. Of course, we'll take the passports etc. but there was no mention of any other documents when I spoke to them earlier this week.

That has already been required in the past for the application by an unmarried foreign father of a Thai child younger than seven years.

--

Maestro

Sorry Maestro, can you clarify what you mean by this.

I am not legally married and have a 17 month old daughter and all that Korat say they want is the baby's birth certificate. Of course, we'll take the passports etc. but there was no mention of any other documents when I spoke to them earlier this week.

Under the old rule your Child had to state that He/She wanted you to live with Him/Her.

With young Children you had to get authorisation from a court.

With the new rule we will have to wait and see.

Well my son will be coming on 8 years old in March well in line with the 7 years old rule and my daughter 6. My son was 4 and a half when he answered questions and wrote his name at the Ampur office. This paper document had been fully accepted before, but for some reason the immigration officer had to say something about it this time. Yes it was accepted this time, but with a lecture. Yes I am unofficially married but the next step depending on what is needed may change that. Also the immigration officer wasn't too overwhelmingly happy with the amount of paper work she had to go through which corresponds with a support extension. This year took the cake for paper work, and hopefully this will revert back to the times before when there was not so much.. They even asked for a copy of my last old passport which goes back a hel_l of a long time. thgey wanted every page in it that had a Thailand stamp in addition to all the pages in my new (OLD) passport.. Luckily they did not ask for the one before the last one!!! All in all it was a good amount of paper work that the officer had to stamp and sign and I can see where her gripes came from. Having to stamp and write on all the paper work might just give her carpal tunnel syndrom

My daughter has not been to the Ampur office, but I want to make this happen too if the rules fully revert back to the easyier days. Anyway it goes I will adapt but I usually always have a good experience at any immigration office.

Uncletom