Abhisit Vejjajiva Elected New Prime Minister Of Thailand

george

Beat around the bush as usual. Like all great diplomats.

I do not know what your native language is, I am assuming it isnt English?

I suggest you get somebody to translate the question and answers for you, and then comment.

I found the exchanges to be in the main, frank and honest :D

Of course, if you are just looking at this from an immature 'whatever the Democrats do is wrong' stance then no matter what the PM says will satisfy you :o

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest you get somebody to translate the question and answers for you, and then comment.

Of course, if you are just looking at this from an immature 'whatever the Democrats do is wrong' stance then no matter what the PM says will satisfy you :o

Interestingly enough in private conversations I find that PPP voters admit that Abhisit is doing a good job so far although some doubt he can carry it all off. They also admit that Abhisit makes a better PM than Samak was, Somchai was or Chalerm may be. Outsiode of the extreme red loons Abhisit's image is not as bad as some try to make out among those who voted PPP last time. He has made a good start and the policies are welcomed. Indeed that may be why the more extreme red shirts are so virulent.

Interesting to talk politcs outside of politcal junkie circles.

Interestingly enough in private conversations I find that PPP voters admit that Abhisit is doing a good job so far although some doubt he can carry it all off. They also admit that Abhisit makes a better PM than Samak was, Somchai was or Chalerm may be. Outsiode of the extreme red loons Abhisit's image is not as bad as some try to make out among those who voted PPP last time. He has made a good start and the policies are welcomed. Indeed that may be why the more extreme red shirts are so virulent.

Sure, if you compare to the 3 half witts. Why not compare to Thaksin the man in question itself?

Sure, if you compare to the 3 half witts. Why not compare to Thaksin the man in question itself?

Nobody is answering that question now. The truth even among most Thaksin voters (and he has a lot less support now than at his peak) Abhisit is being given a chance, and as I said so far he is doing OK. The verdict will come later on that one. Some/many people have fond memories of Thaksin but most people also realise things and times change.

This past weekend a PTP MP interviewed in Thai media said if an election were held now the Dems would win. Obviously we wont get to see, which is just as well considering the economy cant handle more uncertainty, but it does indicate there is a maybe hope that Abhisit will calm things down and deliver. It will not be easy however. Abhisit has a deteriorating economy as a backdrop while Thaksin had an improving one.

We are entering the same cycle - Dems get to govern during crisis, good job but no prosperity, their opponents capitilise on that and get to govern when the economy is on the upswing, then shit hits the fan again.

I wonder if the history will actually repeat itself.

Also, in 1997, Democrats came to power bypassing nationwide elections.

The opposition now doesn't have a credible leader, similarly, in 1997, Chavalit was discredited beyond repair among middle class and Bangkokians. Then, a year or two later, Thaksin came up big. I wonder if we see something similar.

Back then he wasn't portraing himself as a saviour of the poor at all and beat Democrats on their "own" turf - promising good governance, new ways of thinking, fight against graft and so on. I wonder if we see someone else capturing country's imaginantion in similar ways. I wonder what this person political base would be.

About as meaningful as saying that Barack Obama has made a good start. (in the sense that he hasn't inadvertantly triggered nuclear armageddon in his first twelve hours in office)

About as meaningful as saying that Barack Obama has made a good start. (in the sense that he hasn't inadvertantly triggered nuclear armageddon in his first twelve hours in office)

Journalist as it is your job I am sure you are aware that in many Northern and Isaan areas TRT cadres had informed the locals that if the dems got into government they would lose their health care, village fund, OTOP and everything else up to and including virility.

That Abhisit has come to power and made sure these things have not come to pass and thereby dispelled what was actually believed by many (well maybe not the virility part) and that he has even expanded on and introduced more populist polices shows to people that he is doing differrnlty than maybe what was expected, and trying. Obama hasnt actually done anything much beyond suspending some trials as expected yet. They are different cases. If Abhisit hasnt made a good start what would he have had to do to make one and I mean with ordinary people and not with PTP/Red shirt politicos?

Democrats Promise Isaan Micro-Loans, Death Squads

BANGKOK – Following the Royal endorsement of the new Cabinet, the ruling party announced sweeping reforms which are designed to win over the rural north and north-east parts of the nation. Prime Minister Abhisit Vejajiva presented a bold plan to re-introduce two popular aspects of Thaksinomics: micro-loans and death squads. “As the humble new caretakers of the Thai people, we must be willing to learn,” the PM said at a press conference. “Clearly some work of the previous administration proved to be popular, and we’re here to continue those programs of easy credit and extra-judicial assassination.”

Effective in January, Thai banks will ease most of their collateral terms for small business loans, which in combination with expected lowered key interest rates from the Bank of Thailand, should stimulate the economy at the grassroots level and provide “hope for a better tomorrow among Thailand’s hard-working entrepreneurs.” Additionally, roving gangs of paramilitary mercenaries with no accountability will be randomly gunning down persons who will be labeled drug dealers and whose deaths will remain uninvestigated. The Democrats are hoping that within 2009 Thailand could see 2% growth by the fourth quarter and as many as 2,500 executions devoid of due process.

Response to the proposals was measured but generally positive. “I like what they are saying but only time will tell if they are sincere,” said Thirapong Kritidanang, a former leader of the Caravan of the Poor which organized several pro-Thaksin demonstrations after the 2006 coup. “It’s good that they are paying attention to our economic needs, but so far it’s all talk. When the dead bodies start piling up, I might feel more confidence in this government.”

However, Jurin Laksanawisit, education minister and chairman of the policy-drafting committee, felt certain that the ruling party would soon win over all Thaksin loyalists. “We are dedicated to creating national unity at all costs,” he insisted. “And nothing unifies Thais like free money and the enforced disappearance of troublemakers.”

--NotTheNation

We are entering the same cycle - Dems get to govern during crisis, good job but no prosperity, their opponents capitilise on that and get to govern when the economy is on the upswing, then shit hits the fan again.

I wonder if the history will actually repeat itself.

Also, in 1997, Democrats came to power bypassing nationwide elections.

The opposition now doesn't have a credible leader, similarly, in 1997, Chavalit was discredited beyond repair among middle class and Bangkokians. Then, a year or two later, Thaksin came up big. I wonder if we see something similar.

Back then he wasn't portraing himself as a saviour of the poor at all and beat Democrats on their "own" turf - promising good governance, new ways of thinking, fight against graft and so on. I wonder if we see someone else capturing country's imaginantion in similar ways. I wonder what this person political base would be.

Share your thoughts and fear the same -could be - but doesn't have to - reforms implemented, loopholes mended - let's see...tough judicary..

What's the story about his (Abhisit's) government using rotten canned fish to donate to people in Phatthalung? Total 17,500 cans were given out as per the DTV.

Where can they pick that Chao Doi brand from? I have never heard of that name.

The bidding was to buy one of 3 brands: Pumpui, Rosa and Sammekhua.

Journalist as it is your job I am sure you are aware that in many Northern and Isaan areas TRT cadres had informed the locals that if the dems got into government they would lose their health care, village fund, OTOP and everything else up to and including virility.

My beat hardly touches Thailand. Not every press correspondent on the planet writes about Thailand. (Its like assuming that every teacher is an English-language teacher)

I'm reliant on Sriracha's John for my Thai news distillations. A one-stop-scoop-shop.

My beat hardly touches Thailand. Not every press correspondent on the planet writes about Thailand. (Its like assuming that every teacher is an English-language teacher)

I'm reliant on Sriracha's John for my Thai news distillations. A one-stop-scoop-shop.

Lucky you I guess not having to report on Thailand. I maybe mistakenly assumed as you posted on Thai news forum that you were here to cover Thailand or SEAsia. Apologies.

Very different private conversations you and i have with people.

I do find that many villagers in the rural areas are increasingly enraged that rice and tapioca prices have not been propped up, so that most small scale farmers have lost money on this year's harvest. At the same time prices on the market for basic food to buy is still at an all time high.

Instead of throwing 2000 baht at salaried people the funds could have been used to support the people that really need it, and not in forms of handouts, but by stabilizing the markets.

And regarding his announcements on "justice for all" - we have now see how that translates to the Rohinya refugees, and Abhisit's not very convincing statements on this issue.

Last harvest the govt bought rice at practically double the usual price. It's hard to believe that the blames goes to Democrats already.

There's a large budget approved for propping up other crops though I don't expect it to reach provinces already.

>>>

Reds have embarassed Chiang Mai again yesterday by disrupting Pradit (of Ruam Jai) visit to a temple. "Democracy loving" bandits stop-searched the cars but Pradit managed to escape the blockade.

Udon Thani's redneck leader Kwanchai recently went to Bangkok begging for money and couldn't get any from PTP bosses and he couldn't meet Thaksin's sister to beg directly. He vowed to continue the violence regardless, just for the fun of it. What a dedicated thug!

His split with DTV group might actually help in propping up their own image.

Last harvest the govt bought rice at practically double the usual price. It's hard to believe that the blames goes to Democrats already.

There's a large budget approved for propping up other crops though I don't expect it to reach provinces already.

Very good. Make good news by allocating a budget - then delay it until the harvest is already in. Tapioca harvest is now - by the way, and farmers are suffering now.

The rubber budget has already reached the provinces. No wonder - rubber is mostly planted in the South, which, by coincidence, is Democrat heartland.

Udon Thani's redneck leader Kwanchai recently went to Bangkok begging for money and couldn't get any from PTP bosses and he couldn't meet Thaksin's sister to beg directly. He vowed to continue the violence regardless, just for the fun of it. What a dedicated thug!

When will Thai people learn that there is no fun causing violence. Let's make love, not war.

>>>

Reds have embarassed Chiang Mai again yesterday by disrupting Pradit (of Ruam Jai) visit to a temple. "Democracy loving" bandits stop-searched the cars but Pradit managed to escape the blockade.

His split with DTV group might actually help in propping up their own image.

From what I hear there is a power struggle in the red movement with more than a few sides and the funding being short and divisions over strategy isnt helping. Their next demo is now to sjhow they arent divided. So instead of the anti-government demo we get the love in. Khwanchai has said he wont go...... so not everyone is into this free love for all

Did he make this vow? Source? Still what you don't know you can always invent. The value you place on eye-witness evidence does seem to vary 180 degrees depending on the political beliefs of the person delivering it.

Perhaps he just believes in his cause.

He can't win, can he, with you. If he took the dirty money, you'd be poking a sharp stick at him too.

^But you do this every single time.

Don't you even know you're doing it?

How can you constantly find fault in every act of the side you don't agree with, whilst praising to high heaven roughly similar acts by the side you like?

If you were doing it as a gambit to persuade a wide political audience, i'd understand, but its only us, a bunch of voteless hacks. You take it to such an extreme that it puts people off the Democrat/PAD side. It has with me, and I broadly support Abhisit.

^Well you've ignored my question.

Its almost as if you're secretly on the payroll of Thaksin; by making such wildly extreme, self-serving, risible interpretations that go so far that they mock the basic stance.

Yes yes, your side are freedom fighters, the others are terrorists - 110% of the time. We know, we know.....

So far, after 2 weeks or so, I rate Abhisit's performance a B+. (Would have been an A, but the refusal to allow the UN to see the refugees thing knocks him down a peg). Doing a good job of creating an air of stability, and is such a huge improvement on Samak and Somchai, that I can see him being secure in his position for quite a while.

Continued good luck Mr. PM.

Its almost as if you're secretly on the payroll of Thaksin; by making such wildly extreme, self-serving, risible interpretations that go so far that they mock the basic stance.

Yes yes, your side are freedom fighters, the others are terrorists - 110% of the time. We know, we know.....

After savagely beating people at PAD rally this guy made his intentions clear:

Kwanchai vowed to lead his supporters to beat PAD protesters again if they hold another rally in the northeastern province.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/rea...newsid=30078978

Kwanchai said he and Uthai showed up to show their innocence in the case and rejected all the charges against them. He also threatened to "drive away" any future rally by the PAD in the province.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/rea...newsid=30079174

Give me a reason why I should give him any benfit of doubt.

Why should I take any king of "neutral" stance on him? I'm not a journalist, I'm not selling my stories.

Don't "buy" my point of view? I can't care less, it's not my job to satisfy all kinds of audience.

After savagely beating people at PAD rally this guy made his intentions clear:

Kwanchai vowed to lead his supporters to beat PAD protesters again if they hold another rally in the northeastern province.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/rea...newsid=30078978

Kwanchai said he and Uthai showed up to show their innocence in the case and rejected all the charges against them. He also threatened to "drive away" any future rally by the PAD in the province.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/rea...newsid=30079174

Give me a reason why I should give him any benfit of doubt.

Why should I take any king of "neutral" stance on him? I'm not a journalist, I'm not selling my stories.

Don't "buy" my point of view? I can't care less, it's not my job to satisfy all kinds of audience.

Maybe someone would like to check the following:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/rea...eyword=kwanchai

and this

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/rea...eyword=kwanchai

Cheers.

Why present a point of view (thousands of times) on a Forum then? Forums are hardly the location for folk who don't care about whether they persuade others or not.

Thats what Blogs are for. ........There one can rant away unchallenged. Sounds fair dinkum to me (I presume you are an Aussie !)

Oh contraire Journalist, most people in most forums never change their views, but there is intense debates before everyone decides to stick to their preset notions. :o

At least when it comes to politics. Having over 15 years of experience with political online debates [mostly from back home] would tell me so. :D