Help Visa Advice Needed

Hi hoping for some advice from members here.

My brother is now back in thailand living with his thai girlfriend on his 2nd annual 90 day multi entry non immigrant visa after returning to uk to re-apply for it.

He never had any criminal record until recently when going though a nasty divorce, his wife was deliberately goading him and he ended up being charged and convicted of assault for pushing her away when she was hitting him. She suceeded in her goal of making it difficult for him to emmigrate to thailand.

He is now worried that all his plans are going to fall down as he will not pass the criminal records check.

He is 45 and hoping to settle in thailand and we know he is too young for retirement visa.

He dont want a work visa and he does have enough income to live on from the sale of his house in the uk last month.

We want to know what his options are and what visa is best for him to apply for taking into account that he now has a criminal record in the UK.

He wants ideally to avoid having to return to the UK every year for renewal

Thanks in advance for any advice

In the situation you describe I see two options:

1. double-entry tourist visas from the Thai consulate in Vientiane, Laos

2. multiple-entry non-O visas from a Thai consulate in a country other than the UK, eg Australia

--

Maestro

Many thanks for replying Maestro and Mario2008

So basically his only option now is to just carry on applying for an annual multiple-entry visa. He will more than likely return to the uk to do this.

Is there a limit to how many times these visa's can be applied for or can he just carry on doing this for ever.

Also I am sure I read somewhere that you can actually get to stay for 14 months depending on visa run timings.

Would appreciate if someone can explain this

Not sure if he would go for the Education visa but if he does how does that one work

once again thanks

Edited by mrsjock

Lite Beer

He has only been in thailand on his new visa for 1 month

How does he get 15 months out of it

Also applying by post from thailand would be a bit dodgy as he would have to send his passport through the post

Edited by mrsjock

brilliant

thanks for the info I will send him text to let him know what I have learnt from you guys.

He will be bitterly dissapointed that he cant go for PR but better to know now rather than pin his hopes on it and be really devastated later.

Your help is much appreciated

A visa is a permit to come to Thailand and ask for permission to stay. Each time your brother comes to Thailand he gets permission to stay for 90 days. By leaving and entering Thailand, for example at the border with Laos, just before the one year visa expires, he still gets permission to stay for 90 days.

As the visa and permission to stay are 2 different things he can get almost 15 months out of it, while the visa is onle for 1 year.

Edit:

The educational visa would work that he would have to go to school for a minimum of an avarege 4 hours a week. Every 90 days he would have to report to immigration to show he is still studying. Poeple can stay on educational visa's for 5 years. After that he can apply for permission to stay in Thailand based on retirement. There is no criminal background check for that, only if one applies for a special non-O-A visa.

Edited by Mario2008

Just make sure you know exactly what Visa he has .

He will probably have to return to the UK to do again.

If he married his Girlfriend things would be more easy.

When he is 50 he would not need a police report to stay in Thailand for retirement.

And he is more than welcome to buy Me and Mario a beer. :o

wow you guys are great

where does he have to apply for the ed visa from, can that be done in thailand or does it have to be applied for in the UK.

I know he is in a village somewhere so not sure if attending language lessons is an option

Also you say there is NO police check when applying for retirement at 50. I was under the impression that there was.Thats great

How would being married to thai girlfriend make things easier?

Am sure he would happily buy you both a drink

wow you guys are great

where does he have to apply for the ed visa from, can that be done in thailand or does it have to be applied for in the UK.

I know he is in a village somewhere so not sure if attending language lessons is an option

Also you say there is NO police check when applying for retirement at 50. I was under the impression that there was.Thats great

How would being married to thai girlfriend make things easier?

Am sure he would happily buy you both a drink

No Police Check guaranteed.

If he were married he could get 12 month extensions with 400,000 Baht in the bank or 40,000 Baht monthly income.

This would mean he could stay every year with no border runs. Or having to leave the country.