Work On Non-o

No visa allows you to work. You need a work permit if you want to work.

You can apply for a work permit after arriving in Thailand with any type of visa, but to receive the work permit you must have a non-immigrant visa and a non-O visa is acceptable for this purpose.

--

Maestro

Dear All,

Is it possible to work in Thailand on a non-'O' immigrant visa. I was told by my consulate that was, but have since heard that a type 'B' only is required. Could anyone confirm which is required?

Many thanks

Yes you can if you have a work permit.

, but to receive the work permit you must have a non-immigrant visa and a non-O visa is acceptable for this purpose.

--

Maestro

According to the law: yes.

But not all local immigration offices/labour departments might accept this. Last April I enquired at my friendly local immigration office if I could get an extension based on my having a Thai child. They know that I am working, and they told me: yes, you can get such an extension, but then you cannot work.

, but to receive the work permit you must have a non-immigrant visa and a non-O visa is acceptable for this purpose.

--

Maestro

According to the law: yes.

But not all local immigration offices/labour departments might accept this. Last April I enquired at my friendly local immigration office if I could get an extension based on my having a Thai child. They know that I am working, and they told me: yes, you can get such an extension, but then you cannot work.

Immigration has not anything to do with issue of WP.

Mods,

I would be interested in clarifying this point. I understood that if you were already in Thailand on an 'O' visa then you could apply for a work permit and were not required to transfer to another visa type until such time as the 'O' visa expired. At that time you would be required to apply for a 'B' visa. In other words you could not apply for an extension of stay on the 'O' visa if you were working at the time the visa expired.

If on the other hand you were entering thailand for the purpose of working (presumably simultaneously applying for a work permit) then you would be required to apply for (and enter on) a 'B' visa

correct, not correct, or correct some of the time? thanks

- CB

Mods,

I would be interested in clarifying this point. I understood that if you were already in Thailand on an 'O' visa then you could apply for a work permit and were not required to transfer to another visa type until such time as the 'O' visa expired. At that time you would be required to apply for a 'B' visa. In other words you could not apply for an extension of stay on the 'O' visa if you were working at the time the visa expired.

If on the other hand you were entering thailand for the purpose of working (presumably simultaneously applying for a work permit) then you would be required to apply for (and enter on) a 'B' visa

correct, not correct, or correct some of the time? thanks

- CB

You do not extend a visa you extend your permit to stay. It can be for work, marriage, to support a child and etc.

Labour will give a work permit with a permit to stay from a o-visa or an extension of a permit to stay.

Some will give it even if on a retirement permit to stay.

You not have to have a B visa if you can get an O. Most of time the reason people get a B visa is because they cannot get an o visa.

• 1 month later...
And what does the employment department say in the province where you need to apply? That's what really counts.

--

Maestro

Update: I received my work permit, with no changes in my non-O Visa.

Good news.

And thanks for the update.