New Zealander Arrested On Drug Charges

sriracha john

780470.jpg

DRUG CHARGES: Kiwi racing driver Peter Scharmach could face 20 years in a Thai prison.

Kiwi on Thai drugs charges

A Kiwi racing driver could face up to 20 years in a Thai prison after being arrested for allegedly attempting to sell drugs in a Phuket nightclub.

Peter Scharmach, 44, was arrested early on Saturday after he left a popular nightclub at Patong Beach in his car and was stopped for a routine check at a police checkpoint.

Thai police say they discovered a small amount of methamphetamine, ecstasy, and cannabis, as well as five small sealable plastic bags, foil-paper, and plastic tubes used to inhale or smoke the drugs.

German-born Scharmach, who has New Zealand residency and who is well-known in New Zealand motorsport circles, was charged with possession of drugs with the intent to sell. He was freed on bail.

A New Zealand Embassy spokesman in Bangkok confirmed yesterday that a New Zealand resident had been arrested in Phuket. He said Scharmach had not approached the embassy for consular support.

In photos taken just after his arrest, Scharmach was shown seated and flanked by Thai police officials, with money, cellphones and bags of drugs on a table in front of him.

His lawyer, Siwa Bol, said Scharmach had asked police to release his passport so he could travel to Germany for business reasons before he returned to Thailand to face court on January 13.

Mr Bol said Scharmach had pleaded not guilty to the charges, on the basis that he was a businessman who did not make a living from dealing drugs.

"I told him, 100 per cent, you will not go to jail," Mr Bol said.

Lieutenant Colonel Sriwiwat of Kamala police in Phuket, said the drugs seized, combined with the equipment, "show that Mr Scharmach had the intention to sell the drugs". He said Scharmach, who could face 20 years in jail, had been in Thailand for six days and local police were still "trying to check his background".

People in the New Zealand motorsport industry who know Scharmach have described him as an "man of mystery"; and as a "very wealthy" person who globetrotted the world taking part in Mini challenge races.

He was last in New Zealand about a month ago where he took part in a race in Christchurch.

A friend said Scharmach was a New Zealand resident and was married.

A Foreign Affairs and Trade Ministry spokesman said at present there were 62 Kiwis imprisoned overseas for offences that included willful damage, violence charges and drug offences.

New Zealand embassies also provided advice and help for a further 127 Kiwis arrested overseas in 2006 and 2007.

- The Dominion Post (New Zealand) / 16 December 2008

This doesn't make sense. He is found with drugs and clearly is supplying them (drugs in sealed bags). The police say he can face up to 20 years in jail, yet they allow him bail and he intends to go to Germany prior to his court hearing. Does anyone really think he will return to Thailand to answer the charges?

Have I missed something here???

Simon

This doesn't make sense. He is found with drugs and clearly is supplying them (drugs in sealed bags). The police say he can face up to 20 years in jail, yet they allow him bail and he intends to go to Germany prior to his court hearing. Does anyone really think he will return to Thailand to answer the charges?

Simon

What you also missed simon is that his lawyer said " he will definatly not go to prison ",. he obviously has enough money to pay off the police and his lawyer,. The Thai way its called,.

just really stupid.

Your assessment has a lot in common with that of the Prime Minister... :o

Prime Minister Key: NZer arrested in Thailand "an idiot"

There is no sympathy from the Prime Minister for a New Zealander arrested in Thailand on suspicion of selling drugs.

Peter Scharmach was arrested in Phuket after police discovered methamphetamine, ecstasy, and cannabis in his car. He now faces up to 20 years in prison.

Prime Minister John Key is unconcerned with the arrest. "I haven't had any official advice on it. But if the bloke's been hawking off drugs in Thailand bars, it would seem to indicate that he is an idiot."

Scharmarch is believed to have pleaded not guilty to the drugs charges.

- NewsTalk Radio (Auckland, New Zealand) / 2008-12-16

Edited by sabaijai
emphasis not in original article removed

780470.jpg

DRUG CHARGES: Kiwi racing driver Peter Scharmach could face 20 years in a Thai prison.

Quite a contrast to his Speed Sport Magazine Race Driver Database photo:

02768.jpg

His racing history:

http://www.speedsport-magazine.com/race-dr...mach-,2768.html

Perhaps his downfall is related to losing an appeal for being found the cause of a racing accident in 2007:

http://www.motorsport.org.nz/Pdf/AppealPScharmachMar07.pdf

Anyway, 2006 was definitely a happier time for him:

mini_nbr24h_02.jpg

Edited by sriracha john

just really stupid.

Your assessment has a lot in common with that of the Prime Minister... :D

Prime Minister Key: NZer arrested in Thailand "an idiot"

There is no sympathy from the Prime Minister for a New Zealander arrested in Thailand on suspicion of selling drugs.

Peter Scharmach was arrested in Phuket after police discovered methamphetamine, ecstasy, and cannabis in his car. He now faces up to 20 years in prison.

Prime Minister John Key is unconcerned with the arrest. "I haven't had any official advice on it. But if the bloke's been hawking off drugs in Thailand bars, it would seem to indicate that he is an idiot."

Scharmarch is believed to have pleaded not guilty to the drugs charges.

- NewsTalk Radio (Auckland, New Zealand) / 2008-12-16

Thankyou Mr Key (I love to call him that with the thai translation), your observations are as astute as ever... From the leader of our fine little pacific island I'd hope for a slightly deeper and meaningful observation on such a serious and dangerous offence committed by one of our citizens in one of our key (haha) trading partners countries. :o

Yes, it's just not very clever. No-one gets ratted-out faster than a foreigner whose bought drugs

from his "Thai friends". Who then call and inform the police earning bonus credits for themselves. :o

Yes, sounds about right.

Bet the extra bags weren't even his idea...

3 items 5 bags, could have been double bagged etc.

Makes it easier to drop a dime on a 'dealer'.

And the help the local constablary keep their quota up,

and keep the local Thai from being PART of that quota...

Better press if he's got parraphenalia,

MUST be a dealer with any extra empty bags.

Foolish boy for sure.

Simon

At least they are consistent... Sames rules for the average tourist as their own outsted PM, they let him go see the Olympics in Beijing, the cunning blaggard escaped to England :-)

Thankyou Mr Key (I love to call him that with the thai translation), your observations are as astute as ever... From the leader of our fine little pacific island I'd hope for a slightly deeper and meaningful observation on such a serious and dangerous offence committed by one of our citizens in one of our key (haha) trading partners countries. :o

The one thing I love the Antipodeans for is their ability to call a spade a spade without fear of retribution from th 'PC' brigade.

Good on the Kiwi PM, the guy is an idiot and deserves no sympathy from your government or anyone else.

Dealing or not, anyone dabbling in drugs in this country IS an idiot.

780470.jpg

His lawyer, Siwa Bol, said Scharmach had asked police to release his passport so he could travel to Germany for business reasons before he returned to Thailand to face court on January 13.

Mr. Bol said Scharmach had pleaded not guilty to the charges, on the basis that he was a businessman :D:o who did not make a living from dealing drugs.

"I told him, 100 per cent, you will not go to jail," Mr. Bol said.

What a great lawyer-line.... :D :D

Somehow I get a mental image of someone looking like a Thai version of comedic actor Dan Akroyd's character Irwin Mainway of Saturday Night Live fame.

02768-1.jpg

The one thing I love the Antipodeans for is their ability to call a spade a spade without fear of retribution from th 'PC' brigade.

Good on the Kiwi PM, the guy is an idiot and deserves no sympathy from your government or anyone else.

Fair call. But just saying he is an idiot is a bit light. I would have preferred to see him disown the guy, state he was given citizenship in error and germany can have him back :D

Fair call. But just saying he is an idiot is a bit light. I would have preferred to see him disown the guy, state he was given citizenship in error and germany can have him back :D

well I guess he is just adhering to that quaint old custom of someone being innocent until proven guilty

well I guess he is just adhering to that quaint old custom of someone being innocent until proven guilty

Innocent until proven guilty :o:D TIT

"Thai police say they discovered a small amount of methamphetamine, ecstasy, and cannabis, as well as five small sealable plastic bags, foil-paper, and plastic tubes used to inhale or smoke the drugs."

Simon

At least they are consistent... Sames rules for the average tourist as their own outsted PM, they let him go see the Olympics in Beijing, the cunning blaggard escaped to England :-)

I guess 3 kg Heroin, taped around your body makes you to a fool. But this seems to be different. Because you can't really say how that happened....we could only imagine that there's a country with corrupt cops. All they need is to bring some stuff, and the other cop will find it. (Special if you're wealthy!) Dealing with Jaba? Or Ganja in little packets? If you're already rich? That makes no sense at all. Good that we live in such an uncorrupted country like Thailand.

Edited by Sisaketmike

Isn't it refreshing to finally have a leader willing to say it like it is!

How can anyone have sympathy for someone who is caught red handed in possession of drugs in a country where possession - or dealing - invokes the death penalty?

There simpl is no other noun for it. Idiot fits perfectly!

Simon

r u fuc_king kidding me??? just because the drugs were packed in bags doesn't mean that he intended to sell them. maybe he just bought the drugs for his own pleasure and most likely they came in bags???

Maybe I have missed something. :D

New Zealand resident does not equate to NZ citizen, and no where do I see that this kraut is a NZ citizen. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't.

And if he is in fact guilty (difficult to determine her in the realm) I would be happy to see him swinging at dawn (or at any other time for that matter)

Got no time what so ever for these purveyors of misery :o

Edited by john b good

"I told him, 100 per cent, you will not go to jail," Mr. Bol said.

What a great lawyer-line.... :D:o

Somehow I get a mental image of someone looking like a Thai version of comedic actor Dan Akroyd's character Irwin Mainway of Saturday Night Live fame.

02768-1.jpg

Didn't Irwin sell a Johnny Prison Break set amongst his line of toys? :D

Yes, it's just not very clever. No-one gets ratted-out faster than a foreigner whose bought drugs

from his "Thai friends". Who then call and inform the police earning bonus credits for themselves.

Actually those who bring in drugs from overseas to sell and thus compete with local dealers are far more quickly turned into police hands than are paying customers.

I don't see what is wrong with calling someone an idiot with the conditional IF THEN type scenario. It is a bit unrealistic to expect a PM to waste his time investigating every single minor infringement even of the non sheep shagging variety. It would be like asking an Aussie to pay for the bill....realistically, the odds are just against them having brought their wallet that day.

Kind of like someone saying to me IF You are cruising around shagging hot chicks all the time, THEN you are an idiot.

Well, IF I was, then yes I am an idiot as I meet the criteria set in the IF THEN statement.

Mind you, for someone born with my good shoe sense, floppy hair and excessive testosteroni (kind of like Italian masculinity) if I am NOT cruising around shagging hot chicks all the time, then I am probably an idiot.

That's what they call a catch 22. To be, or not to be an idiot. That is the question.

As a person with considerable experience with going fast on the race track, it seems ironic that he should be busted for speed.

I look forward to seeing what sort of drug they would bust a bar tender with.

Or for that matter, a G string wearing stripper bending over in front of us.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't see what is wrong with calling someone an idiot with the conditional IF THEN type scenario. It is a bit unrealistic to expect a PM to waste his time investigating every single minor infringement even of the non sheep shagging variety. It would be like asking an Aussie to pay for the bill....realistically, the odds are just against them having brought their wallet that day.

Just saw this reply steveromagnino. Ignorance and stereotyping never ceases to amaze me. I'm sure a healthy political debate with you would be akin to smashing my head against a brick wall. Thoroughly undesirable.

780470.jpg

Anyway, 2006 was definitely a happier time for him:

mini_nbr24h_02.jpg

UPDATE....I think today he probably resembles the 2nd photo a whole lot more...

Kiwi freed on $26,000 bond [* 500,000 Baht *]

A Kiwi racing car driver arrested in Thailand on drugs charges has returned to Christchurch after paying a $26,000 bond, a rare break from the country's notoriously tough stance on drugs.

Peter Scharmach, 44, could face up to 20 years in jail after he was arrested in Phuket on December 13 and charged with possession of drugs with the intent to sell.

A small amount of methamphetamine, ecstasy, and cannabis, sealable plastic bags, and other drug paraphernalia were allegedly found in his car when he was stopped at a routine police checkpoint.

Scharmach's Thai lawyer, Siwadol Keawpharouk, said German-born Scharmach paid 500,000 baht (about NZ$26,000) for his bail bond and left Thailand on December 30.

He vehemently denied the charges, Mr Keawpharouk said.

"Public prosecutors can let him go to do his business, but he must come back to Thailand in time [for a court hearing]."

Scharmach, who owns a property in Christchurch and is the sole director of two New Zealand companies, including a mail order business, returned here over New Year, before heading to Germany.

He had been in Thailand for only six days when he was arrested. His case was due before Thai courts last Tuesday, but was delayed because police were waiting for test results on the drugs allegedly found with him.

It was expected the case would now begin in the middle of next month, Mr Keawpharouk said.

Fellow Kiwi racing driver Eddie Bell, who competed with Scharmach in the 2007 Mini Challenge, said he had spoken to him on his return to New Zealand. "He didn't really go into it too much. I know that he's a bit upset that it's been broadcast the way it was and it sounded like it was all taken out of context."

A photograph of Scharmach in custody after his arrest shows money, cellphones, and bags of drugs laid out on a table in front of him.

Associates have described him as a "man of mystery" and a "very wealthy" globetrotter, who also had business links in Australia.

Thai politics expert Jodi York, of Wellington, said Scharmach faced a tough situation. Foreigners caught with drugs were often treated more harshly, particularly if there was an attempt to sell them.

A high profile case would also be harder to resolve though bribes, an otherwise commonplace practice, she said.

"Once it gets to a high profile, confrontational situation, it will be followed through [the courts]."

Wellington woman Phyllis Tarawhiti spent 11 years in a Thai prison after being sentenced to life imprisonment in 1995 when she was caught with $4 million of heroin strapped to her body. "You really don't want to have go to jail there. Their jails are awful," Ms York said.

- The Dominion Post (New Zealand) / 2009-01-20

=========================================================================

The betting window on whether he returns to Thailand for his court hearing has been closed due to non-availability of odds.

780470.jpg

Quite a contrast to his Speed Sport Magazine Race Driver Database photo:

02768.jpg

That's what I thought. 44? He already looks 64... imagine what he'll look like after 20 years on a bowl of rice 'n cockroaches a day!