Fish And Chips, Where Is The Good Stuff?

Jingthing

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheap Charleys can always find specials around Pattaya for inexpensive fish an chips but it's usually rubbish. Once you cut thru the batter there is rarely any firm flesh but is mushy and tasteless. Like some others here I'm a regular at Jolly Friars and I don't mind paying more for quality.

Cheap Charleys can always find specials around Pattaya for inexpensive fish an chips but it's usually rubbish. Once you cut thru the batter there is rarely any firm flesh but is mushy and tasteless. Like some others here I'm a regular at Jolly Friars and I don't mind paying more for quality.

Well said that man I agree 100%.

Couldn't be bothered to read all of this thread, just too long but today on the darkside up the top end of Soi Khao Noi I had the best fish and chips that I have had in Pattaya for a long long time.

The place was the Casuals cafe and bar

Just past the old PJ bar on the left hand side by maybe a couple of hundred yards, when the road flattens out but well before the 90 degree bend to the left further up the Soi

Old style hand cut chips, great mushy peas and the batter on the fish my mate told me was made with beer, delicious and all for 115 Baht

If some one has already mentioned this then I am sorry but it was so blinking good and well cooked , it was a nice change and I thought that the owner who ever he is deserves a mention

Went there and tried them ,lovely batter,and chips good value

Couldn't be bothered to read all of this thread, just too long but today on the darkside up the top end of Soi Khao Noi I had the best fish and chips that I have had in Pattaya for a long long time.

The place was the Casuals cafe and bar

Old style hand cut chips, great mushy peas and the batter on the fish my mate told me was made with beer, delicious and all for 115 Baht

Went there and tried them ,lovely batter,and chips good value

At that price I suppose that it's Panga/Pacific Dory?

Nothing wrong with that for the price, but it certainly isn't a flaky fish.

I wonder if that place does a more upmarket version with better fish?

• 2 weeks later...

Went to a new place that just opened on Soi Khaonoi the other day 'Not Just Curry and Chips 3" and couldn't believe I was served frozen oven chips. Tasted like cooked in an oven rather than in fat as well. From the sign on the door it appears they have 2 other branches in Jomtien/Pattaya, has anyone tried them? Proper chips or oven chips? Can't believe someone would set themselves up as a fish and chip shop and not serve the real stuff. (The curry bit in the name is just for the curry sauce to go with the chips if you want it, no curries - The name originates from an old British Tv series) The pie I had with them was very tasty but I'm not inclined to go back unless someone can tell that this was just an opening glitch.

Haven't tried it but had occasion just before Khun Paul opened the shop to look around and the shop looked good to me, a professional set-up for sure - that's a real shame if he's not doing proper chips and if he'd run out you should have been told.

the 99 bht one at everyday is fryday about 10 days ago.

inc the coke 129......

attachicon.gifaug 10 006 (Custom).JPG

Well tonight after a few drinks I thought I'd try this one at fryday, my report is excellent. Hand cut thick chips cooked to perfection and a nice piece of lovely battered fish.......and I don't care what the fish actually is, it's all about the taste and for 99 baht it was excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

inc the coke 129......

Well tonight after a few drinks I thought I'd try this one at fryday, my report is excellent. Hand cut thick chips cooked to perfection and a nice piece of lovely battered fish.......and I don't care what the fish actually is, it's all about the taste and for 99 baht it was excellent.

glad you enjoyed it.

apart from cod they do a medium priced grenadier fish for about 149.

one time me and a mate ordered 1 of each then cut them in half and swopped to both do a taste test.

they were different but we both decided next time we would just stick to the 99 baht offering

I am not British but I started to like Fish and Chips a lot since I moved to Pattaya. I even like mushy peas.

So where are the best spots you have found?

Here are some comments I have, but I would love more suggestions:

Pig and Whistle, I like it alot but it is 50/50 sometimes good, sometimes not, by good I mean the fish and chips cooked nicely, more fish than batter, not too greasy, the tartar sauce is always lovely. I would settle for the Pig but am annoyed about how unpredictable they are.

Seaside -- cheap and you know why, good value but I can't get excited enough to go there anymore

Bert's Tropical, fish was nice when I went there, but no tartar sauce, a fault I can't live with

Simon's -- expensive, it was pretty good, but the owner has banned me (if you want the gory details, do a search, ha ha)

Chesters is very good, off Soi Numplabwan heading away from sukhumvit, its at the end of that little soi thats over the railway bridge on your left. opposite the market, theres a 7 eleven on the corner

Chesters used to be good, and maybe it still is....BUT........It is run by a fat Englishman who's every other word is a swear word or the f..... word.

Consequently, his clientele, the same almost every day, are also habitual swearers. I stopped going there with my wife, as I have never ever

heard so much swearing at every table, even though I come from England. This was just like eating in the worst downtown market place ever.

Last night I had 2 large fillets of Hoki (saltwater fish from NZ), wonderful French fries, tartare sauce and lemon at a cost of about 125 Baht. But I cooked it at home in Australia. So sadly I have come to the conclusion that some of the little pleasures in life are better at home. But mostly, give me Thailand any day.

inc the coke 129......

glad you enjoyed it.

apart from cod they do a medium priced grenadier fish for about 149.

one time me and a mate ordered 1 of each then cut them in half and swopped to both do a taste test.

they were different but we both decided next time we would just stick to the 99 baht offering

Had another one tonight, excellent again and all for 99 baht.

Last night I had 2 large fillets of Hoki (saltwater fish from NZ), wonderful French fries, tartare sauce and lemon at a cost of about 125 Baht. But I cooked it at home in Australia. So sadly I have come to the conclusion that some of the little pleasures in life are better at home. But mostly, give me Thailand any day.

Hoki = Grenadier which is what Frydays has for 149 Baht - get yourself to Pattaya man! smile.png

Wondering if anyone has tried The Chippys fish n chips in The Village on 3rd road?[/quoetterte]

I went there about 4 weeks ago looks like its closed down.

It used to be OK not fantastic but OK.

Still can't better Lila's place half way round Maprachan res.

Excellent cod and plenty chips, the mushey peas are great.

Now I'm hungry for a fish supper.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Marquee bar & Cafe on Soi Buakhao have a Fish and Chip Friday with tarta sauce, mushy peas and a wedge of lemon. We tried the Fish and Chips last week and was really good value for money for only 100 Baht well worth checking out. They have also started selling a traditional Sunday Roast with Yorkshire puddings with a choice of either chicken, pork or beef every Sunday again for only 100 Baht.

Marquee Bar & Cafe