90 Days In 6 Months Still Valid ?

Folks,

Apologies if this has been covered in the other posts, i couldnt confidentally unpick the answer to my particular question from them.

I come in and out of Thailand on a regular basis through Bangkok airport staying on a 30 day visa exempt basis each time. I keep a close tab on the number of days i am in Thailand based on the max 90 days in every 6 month policy and have planned my trips around this when i get close to the limit.

Have the rules now changed so that i can continue to come in and out of Thailand using the 30 day visa exempt entry without worrying about the 90 days in 6 month rule ?

I am a UK passport holder and do not work in Thailand. I also have no issue with the being restricted to 30 days per visit.

I would not be as ready as Jingthing to announce that the rule is gone.

For the time being, probably yes.

In the longer term it depends on how people behave.

You can avoid the problem by getting a tourist visa before you leave each time

or even a multi-entry Non Imm O visa from one of the consulates outside Thailand.

With these options you are not limited to 30 days at a time.

Yes, he said that.

But he didn't say: 'Hey, please don't post other alternatives in the case I will be doing a border run or please don't post information which might be valuable for those lazy bastards not going through the other threads' ....

See the word 'IF"?

From everything I've read; this "new" rule has not been in effect for 90 days yet. Which means; regardless of what is written, no one has actually seen first hand how thai immigration officials at the borders will interpret the rule.

I believe it would behoove someone to err on the side of caution and NOT be the first foreigner to test whether the 90 day in 180 day "old rule" about visa exempt stamps is enforced or not. Then again some of you live on the edge as far as risk/benefits; so let the forum know how it works out for you. ..

I am waiting with bated breath to actually find out IF they just issue stamps endlessly as long as you exit and reenter via a land border every 14-15 days.

It bodes ill towards the people living here on the former "free-2-stay-30-day" visa-exempt stamps now known as the "free-2-stay-15-day" ones.

Yes, he said that.

But he didn't say: 'Hey, please don't post other alternatives in the case I will be doing a border run or please don't post information which might be valuable for those lazy bastards not going through the other threads' ....

See the word 'IF"?

OK then that is settled then.

From everything I've read; this "new" rule has not been in effect for 90 days yet. Which means; regardless of what is written, no one has actually seen first hand how thai immigration officials at the borders will interpret the rule.

Again, the OP specifically was asking about AIRPORT entries. I think it is highly likely the agents at the airports are no longer COUNTING days.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks everyone for the advice.

If i were to test this and take one for the team, at what point would i find out whether it has worked, on entry or as i leave ?

As per my original post, i tend to plan my trips around the number of days i have been in Thailand.

So previously if entered Thailand and had say 15-20 days of available time under the rule would my stamp be reduced to 15-20 days or would i get a 30 day stamp and then fined for overstay on departure ?

Thanks everyone for the advice.

If i were to test this and take one for the team, at what point would i find out whether it has worked, on entry or as i leave ?

As per my original post, i tend to plan my trips around the number of days i have been in Thailand.

So previously if entered Thailand and had say 15-20 days of available time under the rule would my stamp be reduced to 15-20 days or would i get a 30 day stamp and then fined for overstay on departure ?

You would get the reduced number of days.

But it is pretty certain that the rule no longer exists.

hey this may not be the exact right place for this question, so apologies if that's the case.

I went to do a double entry tourist visa a litle while back in Vientiane.

With the new 15 day rule, what are the ques like in Vientiane now...they must have doubled in size.

Thankyou,

The MFA has updated their website. There is no mention of the 90 day rule anywhere.

According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements dated 1 October B.E. 2545 (2002), 20 December B.E. 2545 (2002), 18 October B.E. 2547 (2004) and 6 May B.E. 2548 (2005), passport holders from 41 countries and 1 special administrative region - Hong Kong SAR - are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days on each visit. If such foreigners enter the Kingdom at the immigration checkpoints which border neighboring countries, they will be allowed to stay for 15 days each time, except Malaysian nationals who cross the borderline from Malaysia whose granted period of stay will not exceed 30 days each time.

LinK: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2490

The 90 day rule was introduced with Royal Thai Police Order 608/2549, art. 3.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/rtp608EN.pdf

That was the basis for the 90 day rule. Article 3 was however ammended by Royal Thai Police Order 778/2551.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a70911-.html

The new article 3 no longer contains the 90 day rule. As a result there is no 90 day rule any more.