Tourist Visa Penang

A friend of mine left for Penang on Monday, arriving on Tuesday he gave his passport and fee to NJ bookshop. When he went back to collect the following day he had his passport and fee returned with NJ informing him that the consulate had run out of visa stickers!! They also added that none would be available until Jan and the consulate is struggling to deal with the number of applications as 450 applied on the same day as him....

My friend is arriving in Kota Bahru ( sp ) in a couple of hours to try there so if he calls me I'll update with the situation there.

Personally, I'm on extension of stay so this has no affect on me. I'm posting to help anyone heading to Penang in next few days so don't start jumping on me saying it's bs etc.... Call your agent in Penang for verification.....

If you talk to your friend tell him he can get a 2 entry visa there.

What a pain in the as* Penang is. You would think they would have an old stamp laying around in case of an emergency.

My thoughts exactly. My parents are here at the minute on a 5 week holiday. I looked at their visa which they got in the UK and it's a stamp, not a sticker.

Hoping to here from other members who are in Penang at the minute.

Come on ubonjoe,an old stamp laying around for emergencys,that's forward planning and common sence :o ,and would help the Farang out. But NO,just piss them even more,with no visa's left, and ruin what is left of the ailing tourist industry. :D

Merry Xmas and pissed up New Year too you all. :D

I am sure there are a lot of very pissed off people at the moment but no more reports yet. Will be more unless they get a re-supply of stickers sooner or a stamp.

Merry Christmas

Edited by ubonjoe

I am sure there are a lot of very pissed off people at the moment but no more reports yet. Will be more unless they get a re-supply of stickers sooner or a stamp.

Merry Christmas

That would be the ultimate piss off. My heart goes out for those caught in this ridiculous circus.

A friend of mine left for Penang on Monday, arriving on Tuesday he gave his passport and fee to NJ bookshop. When he went back to collect the following day he had his passport and fee returned with NJ informing him that the consulate had run out of visa stickers!! They also added that none would be available until Jan and the consulate is struggling to deal with the number of applications as 450 applied on the same day as him....

My friend is arriving in Kota Bahru ( sp ) in a couple of hours to try there so if he calls me I'll update with the situation there.

Do you have an update since your friend arrived? I leave in a few days for Penang tourist visa. Thanks!

A December day at Penang Consulate:

The visa official: - "Hey Somchai, can u bring another box of stickers"

- Messenger: - "Kraaap"

After 10 minutes... :

Messenger: - "Solly mai mee, sticker mot leow"

- Visa official: - "Hmm.. Mai bpen lai" Khin kao khon... They can go back to Muang Thai, they get 15 days free of charge. No need saticker.

- Somchai: Chai... Mai bpen lai...

LOL :o

Do you think it's absurd because you have proof of that or because your limited imagination tells you?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Embassy...tor-t14674.html

Here one example (second post) that consulates are limited by quotas (be it either daily quotas, quotas for a certain type of visa, quotas for certain nationalities).

Furthermore, consulates in Vientiane and Penang don't regularly deal with common tourists who 'live in hotels'. They are mostly long time stayers.

Edited by sniffdog

The quota topic is a bit dated. August of 2004

It's not a quota to where they shutdown taking applications until after the first of the year.

It's a daily quota that some offices have. That's been reported for KL. They just cannot handle more than a certain number per day.

Vientiane now takes as many as can be accepted until 12 o'clock. They have started closing the gate early because they don't want a bunch of people stuck in line. One report was they opended the gate again after the line was gone and let a few more people in.

wow, supposed to grab a visa their on the 30th. Any update on this?

Last month I tried to head there the PAD had taken over the airport. This time no stickers.

Don't know why I bother sometimes

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of corroboration.

April's a long way off.

Lovely joke though you have to admit.

Not going to happen mate.

Closed monday 29th (local holiday) and then 31st to the 4th.

Possibly open on the 30th but you'll be waiting to pick up your visa until Jan 5th :o

Correct no confirmation yet. And the 30th is the only day this week they will be open.

There are other places than Penang.

Khota Bharu is issuing 2 entry tourist visas. They are open Sunday to Thursday. So open today to Tuesday then closed until next Sunday.

Not going to happen mate.

Closed monday 29th (local holiday) and then 31st to the 4th.

Possibly open on the 30th but you'll be waiting to pick up your visa until Jan 5th :o

Called my agent there and they said they now have stickers again and same day visas are no problem.

Cross my fingers I guess

Called my agent there and they said they now have stickers again and same day visas are no problem.

Cross my fingers I guess

hey

i go Penang for first time on january,5. Who is your agent and where ? and how much charge for make visa ?

can i get visa 2 entry ?? or only a single ?

Thanxxx

miche

hey

i go Penang for first time on january,5. Who is your agent and where ? and how much charge for make visa ?

can i get visa 2 entry ?? or only a single ?

Thanxxx

miche

Single entry only. Only Vientiane Laos and Khota Bharu Malaysia issue 2 entries.

Here is an agent that many members have reccomended.

Link: http://www.banananewguesthouse.com/

I don't know what they charge but reports are that using an agent does not cost much more than the 2 round trips to the consulate would cost. You can contact them by email.