Ex-pat Clubs

DavidWenman

I would like to insert a little balance into this discussion, as someone who is a member of both The Chiang Mai Expat Club and the Friends of Chiang Mai group.

Firstly, although working in close relationship and support of each other (since there is a common pool of expats from which membership is drawn) the two organisations do not, to the best of my knowledge , have any common management or direction. Furthermore, I have never heard anyone who is a member of either of those oganisations suggest so. I could be wrong but I am supposing that posters claiming otherwise are not members of either of the groups.

I have personally requested advice from Tom, the legal advisor associated with Alan Hall, and have received the most courteous and helpful free advice including a visit to my home.

I have personally utilised the services of Boong's Boutique Travel Services ,and received the most wonderful service and help with many extra benefits that I somehow doubt would have been provided by other travel agencies.

Alan Hall's business enterprise and activities have never , in the years that I have been a member of the Chiang Mai Expat's Club been foisted upon me and I doubt on any other member of the Club, either.

I think it has been grossly unfair for all the accusative stuff to be thrown around when I have serious doubts about the veracity of most of it.

I have , once before, been the butt of hysterical posts so I will not be responding to any posts that set out to attack my support for the organisations that have "come under fire". They are both great organisations , doing great things for the community, both expat and local.

It is a shame to see such detractors and it is clear to me that they are in most, if not in all, instances non-members. If it were otherwise, I might have heard their voices at meetings .

All that I ask is that readers get a balanced, less hysterical and more accurate picture of the operation of the two top-flight organisations with which I am proud to be associated.

Cheers.