Kawasaki Ninja 250 - New Thread, 12/2008

PeaceBlondie

Hey Tony ... When will we have matching bikes again? :o

Very nice Allan! Thanks for sharing the link. I've been meaning to try and track this place down. I want to talk to them about mods for the ER-6n of course :D

See you at the Burapa Rally this weekend?

Happy Trails!

Tony

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Tony ... When will we have matching bikes again? :o

Very nice Allan! Thanks for sharing the link. I've been meaning to try and track this place down. I want to talk to them about mods for the ER-6n of course :D

See you at the Burapa Rally this weekend?

Happy Trails!

Tony

This is mine and Ninja Gladiators bikes together...

post-76917-1234470094_thumb.jpg

post-76917-1234470148_thumb.jpg

post-76917-1234470204_thumb.jpg

post-76917-1234470239_thumb.jpg

Nice bike there UdonVal ... I really like the overall look of your bike ... especially that Yoshi!

Have you changed the tires yet? If not, I highly recommend doing so ... you will feel much more confident in the curves. The stock tires are scary.

Hope to see both of you at Khon Kaen bike week.

My Area P quiet core (full system) is ready to be picked up from the post office tomorrow, It's gonna cost me 4600 baht in import tax which is a bit more than I was expecting but it should be worth it.

Does anyone who has already changed their exhaust have any tips for the installation? Mistakes they made that I could avoid, that type of thing? Or is it pretty straightforward?

Also, any news of the orders that were placed for the tyres and the brake lines (Dave Boo and Bard)?

Yeah this thread was pretty useful regarding the sensor - I double checked with them that they were sending the one with the lambda sensor (AreaP refer to it as the O2 sensor) for the EFI model, hopefully it just a case of unbolting the old one and bolting the new one on but best to check - especially as I'm not great with this type of thing.

Hi JonnyF

If you are mechanically inclined it is a piece of cake to do it actually. Should you have problems there is a pretty good how2 on kawiforums I am in Africa for the moment so I am unable to help you out, but the manual which came with the system is very easy to follow, so you should be fine.

Tires, Graham (Highsidetours) who you can find every day at Bira will get you discounted Pirelli Supercorsa set for you and fit it up nicely. Think Dave put in his contact details, it's on my mobile which is in Thailand so I'm unable to help you. They have a website as well but with the new moderators they will probably just snip it out anyway so google highsidetours and you'll find it.

Call Graham and tell him you need Pirelli's for a Ninja 250 heknow what fits and he will call you within a couple of days to fit it up for you.

Cheers Bard

Nice bike there UdonVal ... I really like the overall look of your bike ... especially that Yoshi!

Have you changed the tires yet? If not, I highly recommend doing so ... you will feel much more confident in the curves. The stock tires are scary.

Hope to see both of you at Khon Kaen bike week.

Thanks mate....No I've not changed the tires yet but I have been thinking about it....

Unfortunately I'm at work so I won't be able to go to the KK bike week, I missed the Udon one as well...

Edited by UdonVal

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve owned big bikes since 1978 I still have my old KZ1000 at the house. I also have a ZX12R (Muzzy Raptor) at my house in South Carolina. Upon my arrival in Thailand I bought a Hayabusa so I’m use to riding big cc bikes.

I bought a little Ninja for my girl friend so she could ride with me as she is reluctant to get on the Hayabusa, but she refuses to ride the little Ninja also. I’ve put about 200 kilometers on the little Ninja and much to my surprise my girl friends little brothers 2001 FSX Honda 150 out runs the little Ninja something terrible.

Since I bought the little Ninja I decided to keep it at the condo in Pattaya for something to beat around on when we come down.

I purchase a bunch of carbon fiber products from an outfit in Japan “A-Tech” and the little bike looks great. I contacted Muzzys and they welded a bung in their 250R GP system for me, I have a K&N air filter for the bike and the people at Dyno-Jet told me they are in the process of developing a power commander 5 for the EU/Thai fuel injected version of the EX250R/250R (same-same) which is scheduled to be out the end of April 09.

Can some one recommend a sprocket set up for the 250R?

Thanks

I’ve owned big bikes since 1978 I still have my old KZ1000 at the house. I also have a ZX12R (Muzzy Raptor) at my house in South Carolina. Upon my arrival in Thailand I bought a Hayabusa so I’m use to riding big cc bikes.

I bought a little Ninja for my girl friend so she could ride with me as she is reluctant to get on the Hayabusa, but she refuses to ride the little Ninja also. I’ve put about 200 kilometers on the little Ninja and much to my surprise my girl friends little brothers 2001 FSX Honda 150 out runs the little Ninja something terrible.

Since I bought the little Ninja I decided to keep it at the condo in Pattaya for something to beat around on when we come down.

I purchase a bunch of carbon fiber products from an outfit in Japan “A-Tech” and the little bike looks great. I contacted Muzzys and they welded a bung in their 250R GP system for me, I have a K&N air filter for the bike and the people at Dyno-Jet told me they are in the process of developing a power commander 5 for the EU/Thai fuel injected version of the EX250R/250R (same-same) which is scheduled to be out the end of April 09. Can some one recommend a sprocket set up for the 250R?

Thanks

post-79070-1237054370_thumb.jpg

post-79070-1237054489_thumb.jpg

I've owned big bikes since 1978 I still have my old KZ1000 at the house. I also have a ZX12R (Muzzy Raptor) at my house in South Carolina. Upon my arrival in Thailand I bought a Hayabusa so I'm use to riding big cc bikes.

I bought a little Ninja for my girl friend so she could ride with me as she is reluctant to get on the Hayabusa, but she refuses to ride the little Ninja also. I've put about 200 kilometers on the little Ninja and much to my surprise my girl friends little brothers 2001 FSX Honda 150 out runs the little Ninja something terrible.

[/size]

I purchase a bunch of carbon fiber products from an outfit in Japan "A-Tech" and the little bike looks great. I contacted Muzzys and they welded a bung in their 250R GP system for me, I have a K&N air filter for the bike and the people at Dyno-Jet told me they are in the process of developing a power commander 5 for the EU/Thai fuel injected version of the EX250R/250R (same-same) which is scheduled to be out the end of April 09.

Thanks

I've owned big bikes since 1978 I still have my old KZ1000 at the house. I also have a ZX12R (Muzzy Raptor) at my house in South Carolina. Upon my arrival in Thailand I bought a Hayabusa so I'm use to riding big cc bikes.

I bought a little Ninja for my girl friend so she could ride with me as she is reluctant to get on the Hayabusa, but she refuses to ride the little Ninja also. I've put about 200 kilometers on the little Ninja and much to my surprise my girl friends little brothers 2001 FSX Honda 150 out runs the little Ninja something terrible.

I purchase a bunch of carbon fiber products from an outfit in Japan "A-Tech" and the little bike looks great. I contacted Muzzys and they welded a bung in their 250R GP system for me, I have a K&N air filter for the bike and the people at Dyno-Jet told me they are in the process of developing a power commander 5 for the EU/Thai fuel injected version of the EX250R/250R (same-same) which is scheduled to be out the end of April 09. Can some one recommend a sprocket set up for the 250R?

Thanks

i just traded my cbr150 (4 stroke) in on a new 250r and just two totally different bikes...Your 2 stroke must be very fast to keep up on top end...

I see you removed the rear fender? do you have a better pic? also was it diy? or did you get a shop to do it?

Edited by yankee99

[/size]

I purchase a bunch of carbon fiber products from an outfit in Japan "A-Tech" and the little bike looks great. I contacted Muzzys and they welded a bung in their 250R GP system for me, I have a K&N air filter for the bike and the people at Dyno-Jet told me they are in the process of developing a power commander 5 for the EU/Thai fuel injected version of the EX250R/250R (same-same) which is scheduled to be out the end of April 09.

Thanks

I purchase a bunch of carbon fiber products from an outfit in Japan "A-Tech" and the little bike looks great. I contacted Muzzys and they welded a bung in their 250R GP system for me, I have a K&N air filter for the bike and the people at Dyno-Jet told me they are in the process of developing a power commander 5 for the EU/Thai fuel injected version of the EX250R/250R (same-same) which is scheduled to be out the end of April 09. Can some one recommend a sprocket set up for the 250R?

Thanks

i just traded my cbr150 (4 stroke) in on a new 250r and just two totally different bikes...Your 2 stroke must be very fast to keep up on top end...

I see you removed the rear fender? do you have a better pic? also was it diy? or did you get a shop to do it?

The FSX is basicly a NSR but with a more upright riding position and better looking farings..........looks like a baby black-bird. It is much faster out of the hole than a baby Ninja and even with my big butt on it will eat a CBR150 alive from a dead stop and on top end. Not sure how true the speedo is on the FSX but I have seen 190kph and it still had room to go, but it was starting to wobble on me so I backed off.........how would that look to crash on a 150 with a 1300 sitting in the barn!? I'm 6'2" 220lbs, so I'm realy impressed with FSX, so with 90lbs of Thai sitting on it, it's a real screamer. I bought little brother a K&N and a aftermarket silencer other than that it's stock, Honda rated the FSX @ 37.5 bhp stock and it weights considerably less than a Ninja 250R not to mention it seems to never run out of gears (unlike the Ninja). So I'm not surprized it will smoke a baby Ninja..........buy the time the FSX is shifting into 6th it's about 100 yards in front of the Ninja and pulling away, against a CBR it's all over in the first few yards. I raced a few CBR 150's on that little FSX and none came close to keeping up with it. When I let little brother ride the Ninja and I was riding the FSX it was about even but even then the FSX was a bike length or two infront of the Ninja.......

I know the Ninja has more in it and hopefully with the Muzzy pipe, K&N and power commander (if I get one) it will be able to run little brother down on the FSX! I just bought a 15 tooth counter shaft sprocket and a 44 tooth rear sprocket for the Ninja so hopefully the combination of pipe, filter and sprockets will make the Ninja capable of running down that little joker down on that dam_n FSX.

I'm presently in Saudi Arabia so I had my girl friend load the baby Ninja in the truck and drive it to the Kawasaki shop in Korat and they installed the carbon fiber tank protector, rear fender eliminator, rear tire hugger, rear master cylinder cover, front fender and radiator protector for 300THB! I just put an order in for a instrument cluster bezel, belly pan, dual display signals and a lower chain guard thing'e........the carbon parts are sweet and I intend to purchase as much or more for my Hayabusa!

What I must do is make the baby Ninja run with or better yet outrun little brother on that little 2 stroke!

My brother has a stock 1972 Kawasaki H2 750cc 2 stroke "widow-maker" and I have a 1978 KZ1000 with a set of 29mm smoothbore Mikuni's, K&N pods, a 1075 kit and a Kerker pipe and he bust's my ass everytime in the quarter mile with that stock 2 stroke...... I know what your thinking fat boy can't ride a bike but my double cheese burger eatin ars can turn low 9's all day on my ZX12R and a ZX12R with a big-bore kit is a handful to launch.

[/size]

Thanks

Thanks

I wouldn't doubt that a little bitty Thai on a 2 stroke 150cc could beat a Ninja round town. Didn't see anything about it beating it on the top end though....

I'm more interested in the claim that Dyno-Jet is developing a power commander for the Ninja. They currently support it with a version of their Power Commander III. Why would they skip a generation and create another Power Commander to replicate something they already have?

As far as the gearing goes....if he's trying to beat his girlfriend's brother's FSX he has to decide where he's going to beat it, on the take off or the top end. IIRC, the FSX uses the NSR engine. Dyno charts I've seen have placed that engine in the ~27HP range. I think it's something like 100 lbs lighter than the Ninja also. You can nullify the FSX's take off advantage (probably) if you went with a crazy 14/54 setup but your milage would be shit. You'd be much better running a 15/43 setup. This will make that 5-6 shift better and you won't be hunting for a phantom 7th.

[/size]

Thanks

Thanks

I wouldn't doubt that a little bitty Thai on a 2 stroke 150cc could beat a Ninja round town. Didn't see anything about it beating it on the top end though....

I'm more interested in the claim that Dyno-Jet is developing a power commander for the Ninja. They currently support it with a version of their Power Commander III. Why would they skip a generation and create another Power Commander to replicate something they already have?

As far as the gearing goes....if he's trying to beat his girlfriend's brother's FSX he has to decide where he's going to beat it, on the take off or the top end. IIRC, the FSX uses the NSR engine. Dyno charts I've seen have placed that engine in the ~27HP range. I think it's something like 100 lbs lighter than the Ninja also. You can nullify the FSX's take off advantage (probably) if you went with a crazy 14/54 setup but your milage would be shit. You'd be much better running a 15/43 setup. This will make that 5-6 shift better and you won't be hunting for a phantom 7th.

Dynojet.com and check my "claim" Not sure why they skipped the PC 4.... the PC Tech told me I could buy a PC3 but he recommended to wait as the PC5 was a much better unit. Dave @ Muzzys also told me the PC5 was going to be a totaly new revelotion in PC technoligy as it would modify all paramiters on the fly to optimize performance and even adjust for atmosperic conditions. The old PC 3 has been around for quite a few years I had a PC 2 on my 2000 ZX12 and I'm fairly certain I installed a PC 3 on my 2002 ZX12! My 2004 ZX12 Raptor has a PC 3.......I do know all you need to do is visit the Dyno-Jet website you will see the latest and greatest is the PC 5......call them and ask them why the skipped the PC 4........

Your comment about the FSX being rated @ 27 bhp is incorrect......the NSR is rated @ 39 BHP and the FSX is 37.5 BHP "google it" I do know the FSX will spank a Ninja 250R all the way through the gears so if it is only pumping out 27 bhp what's the Ninja's problem? By the time you get 6th streched out the Ninja better have good 10 kilometers to make up the ground.....and I still think a stock 250R can at best only match the NSR/FSX top end speed. I'll be back in Korat 2nd of April so if any one with a Ninja wants to try out that little 2 stroke let me know. I'd like to run someone who is about my size to see what's what. I'll be bringing the Ninja to Pattaya so I can bring the FSX also, think I'll do that as I'm sure I can find a Ninja in Pattaya with a chunky farang sitting in the saddle......All kidding aside I'm totally amazed at how fast the FSX is. I have a 1993 CRM 250 that is rated @ 40 bhp or maybe its 27 bhp also, it will leave the FSX out of the holeand up into 3rd it looks like 100 yards between me an the little FSX but when I grab 5th running about 130 kph he grabs 4th and ruptures my left ear drum and the CRM tops out at 140-150 0n the speedo and its a pretty hairy ride on the nobbies at that point. Then I'm looking st him pulling away.........5th........6th and he is fading away over the horizon........little cock-sucker! Power to weight power to weight!

I would like to think with a few mods one could get a 250 Ninja to run with 150 2 stroke Honda but maybe not, if not I'll sell the bitch and ride my C90 around pattaya.

I just purchased a 15 tooth counter shaft sprocket and a 44 rear so hopefully with the full Muzzy GP system, which is by far the best looking pipe for the Ninja and according to Muzzys has been proven via the Dyno to add 5+ hp to the US carb version of the Ninja and along with the K&N it wil run a NSR/FSX down in short order! I know the Ninja will not be able to jump the FSX out of the hole but it dam_n well better run it down before I have to grab 6th gear. You are 100% correct about the missing 7th gear. I do however like the way the bike jumps when you twist out 5th to 13k and grab 6th........hopefully with the 2.91 final gear ratio along with the mods it will be able to run 130-140 without running into double digits on the tach.

I'll play with it and see what I can get out of it. Muzzys said a bore kit for the 250R was in the works but it would be late 09 before it would be on the market. I spoke with a Japanese fellow with a Beet engineering and he told me they have complete engines available but one could about buy a ZX14 for the money he was talking about, not to mention the VAT the good ole Thai customs boys hit you with.

what shop in korat did the work? do you have a number? Do they fab the parts or have to order them. I am looking to get some mods done. i really dont want to do any my self. i would much rather have someone qualified to do them. thanks in advance

what shop in korat did the work? do you have a number? Do they fab the parts or have to order them. I am looking to get some mods done. i really dont want to do any my self. i would much rather have someone qualified to do them. thanks in advance

Hi,

I'm currently working in Saudi Arabia right now but will return to Korat on the 1st or 2nd of April. I think the name of the shop is MP or something like that. It's the main Kawasaki dealer in Korat they had 7-8 Ninjas and 5-6 D-Trakers sitting in their last time I was there and the owners speak very good english and seem to be good people. I ordered all the carbon fiber pieces from Japan and just ordered an instrument bezel and a little lower chain guard today. This guy in Japan is a great guy and some how got all my carbon pieces through Thai customs without me having to pay anything....might have just been a fluke. The K&N for the Ninja and FXS along with the Zero Gravity windscreen I purchased from an out-fit in the UK. I hope my pipe is in the mail as we speak so upon my return I can slam that thing on there along with the 15-44 sprocket set which was shipped from the states yesterday......I gotta get the Ninja to run like a Ninja should even if it's only 250cc!

I just tried to call my girl friend but she is not answering the phone at the moment. Not sure what the shop in Korat have for mods in-stock other than a Carbon Yosh slip-on which ain't going to do much for you other than make noise. I was told he was really excited about the carbon bits but they are pretty pricy so he will most likely not be interested in stocking those items. If your interested I can have Mr Akito in Japan ship you some also but be warned what I have on the bike presently set me back about $1K.....but I think it looks really good and not cheesy like some i've seen........the Muzzy GP pipe will really set it off as it's looks like a baseball bat not like the Yosh which to me doesn't seem to match the scale of the bike.......not to mention mine will be the first if not the only one as Muzzys do not make a pipe for the FI model......hopefully they welded the bung in the right place! I do have an extra 15 tooth counter shaft sproket coming as I bought on from an outfit in the States but they neglected to tell me it was on back order so when it comes I won't be needing it. I saw on one of these forums that a fellow down BKK way is taking orders for parts. When I go to Pattaya to drop the Ninja off I plan on going to the Bira track and touching base with Graham at highside and see if he can turn me onto a parts supplier in Thailand who actually has parts instock but by then I'll think the Ninja will be complete minus braking and tires.

post-79070-1237092648_thumb.jpg

post-79070-1237092700_thumb.jpg

post-79070-1237092747_thumb.jpg

post-79070-1237093210_thumb.jpg

post-79070-1237093228_thumb.jpg

I'm planning on moving to Bangkok in August and I've been trying to decide what bike will be the best all-arounder for me. The Ninja 250R is at the top of my list so far but I was wondering if you guys could change my mind or confirm my decision.

I'm pretty new to bikes and the 250 seems like a good bike to learn on but I'm not sure if I'll be in a hurry to move up to something bigger right away or if it's enough bike to keep me content for a year or two. I'm 6'3" and about 185lbs (190cm 84kilos) and I'll be using the bike to get around Bangkok but also to tour around the country. Is it enough bike for a guy my size to do this? and is it big enough for me and a 40 Kilo Thai girl to cruise around the Country on?

Thanks

Edited by Jake1

I'm planning on moving to Bangkok in August and I've been trying to decide what bike will be the best all-arounder for me. The Ninja 250R is at the top of my list so far but I was wondering if you guys could change my mind or confirm my decision.

I'm pretty new to bikes and the 250 seems like a good bike to learn on but I'm not sure if I'll be in a hurry to move up to something bigger right away or if it's enough bike to keep me content for a year or two. I'm 6'3" and about 185lbs (190cm 84kilos) and I'll be using the bike to get around Bangkok but also to tour around the country. Is it enough bike for a guy my size to do this? and is it big enough for me and a 40 Kilo Thai girl to cruise around the Country on?

Thanks

I'm 6'2", 225-230lbs and I would have to say the 250R would be fine for sporting around BKK and maybe running down to Pattaya every now and again but I would not recommend touring around on one. If you have the bucks I would say get at least a 600cc if you want to go on any long trips, and even then you will find yourself fairly uncomfortable real quik on 600cc sportbike. I have a Hayabusa I use for long runs when the mod hits which I have found to be farily comfortable but a Hayabusa is by no means a beginner bike. No matter what you decide on, be extra careful in Thailand on a bike due to the shitty roads, debris on the roads and the crazy ass drivers Thai's and Farangs alike!! DON'T END UP DEAD......I lost a good freind recently on bike and it seems Farangs get killed on bikes on a regular basis here!

Regards!

I'm 6'2", 225-230lbs and I would have to say the 250R would be fine for sporting around BKK and maybe running down to Pattaya every now and again but I would not recommend touring around on one. If you have the bucks I would say get at least a 600cc if you want to go on any long trips, and even then you will find yourself fairly uncomfortable real quik on 600cc sportbike. I have a Hayabusa I use for long runs when the mod hits which I have found to be farily comfortable but a Hayabusa is by no means a beginner bike. No matter what you decide on, be extra careful in Thailand on a bike due to the shitty roads, debris on the roads and the crazy ass drivers Thai's and Farangs alike!! DON'T END UP DEAD......I lost a good freind recently on bike and it seems Farangs get killed on bikes on a regular basis here!

Regards!

I'd like to keep my costs down but I haven't set budget yet..the Ninja is priced about right but I'm willing to go up another 50-60k if needed. I definitely won't be getting on a Hayabusa, R1, or hel_l even an R6 anytime soon but I haven't ruled out a 600cc Bike that is a little more user friendly.

Is there many 100% legal 600cc Bikes to choose from in Thailand? It's seems as though a lot of the bigger bikes are coming under question

Thanks

Well, the Ninja 250 has a wet weight of ~170 kg with 36 BHP. The ER-6N has a wet weight of ~178 kg with 71 BHP. At least that's the numbers wikipedia gave, even though it contradicts the Kawasaki numbers for the Ninja.

What's my point? The ER-6N, which is the most affordable new big bike in Thailand, has 2x the HP per kg that the Ninja has. From the on-going thread about the ER-6N it seems to deliver the power in a good manner making it appear to be a n00b friendly bike but still be one to grow with. Overall size isn't that far off of a Ninja so Bangkok traffic should not present that much of a challenge. I've ridden with one nutter on the forum who 'wrassled' a fairly large bike through Bangkok traffic, but that's not something someone who has little experience on bikes should attempt if they wish to reach an age where they can sit on the porch and yell at the neighbourhood kids to stay off the grass.

Another thing to consider is the percentage of touring that the bike will provide. If it's a fairly insignificant portion of overall usage, than getting a Ninja will probably be the cheaper route to take. In the city the little Ninja can definitely more than keep up with the traffic.

If on the other hand major excursions around the country are in order, the ER-6N would be the winner. The increased power will allow you to easily pass traffic at high speeds where a Ninja requires a bit of planning to make a 100+ km/h pass. Also the better pillion seat of the ER-6N may just save your realtionship if the TNU is along.

Fuel wise, based on Kawasaki's claims it's a wash. Both are supposed to get ~25 km/l.

Weight wise you're on the end of the scale for a Ninja's forks. I'm in the range and I've noticed quite a bit of excessive (IMHO) fork diving to the point it's bottomed out a few times. Have not ridden the ER-6N so I can't comment on that however....

As far as legal big bikes; if you want to play Russian Roulette with your purchase, up to you. However, realise that any grey book bike has no dealer support. Buying a new bike gets you that and peace of mind the local constulbary won't decide to hold your bike ransom.

I'm sorry I've discussed the ER-6N so much, but I consider it the only bike that I would likely purchase in that range. Yamaha offers a 600cc bike, but IIRC it's priced ~50% more than the ER-6N. Honda seemingly seems to be content selling scooter sized bikes. Suzuki is an extremely bit player in the Thai market and I haven't heard any news about their big bike plans. There's BMW who sells legal bikes, but that's one of those "If you have to ask the price you probably can't afford it". Ducati is also in the market, and once again IIRC, you'll pay the same price here for a 1098 as you'd pay for the 1098S in the West....

Thanks. That was also my thoughts on the bikes in the 600+ range, I wouldn't want a bike to be taken from me that I just sunk a bunch of money into. The ER-6N I'd probably have to take a look at in person. I like the look of the F and I may go for it if they do end up selling it but I'm not too sure about the N. I figured the 250R would get a few more MPG or KPL but if that's true then the N really has that going for it.

I'll mainly be using the bike to get around Bangkok and for taking trips to Pattaya. I'd also like to take trips up north and up to the north east but I may hold off on that and cruise on the 250R for a year. The used ones seem to sell quick so getting rid of it after a year shouldn't be a problem. it will give me time to get used to riding, the city, and to check how much of my money I'm blowing living out there.

Maybe the 600cc selection will increase by next year..I wouldn't mind picking up a Ninja 650R

Thanks. That was also my thoughts on the bikes in the 600+ range, I wouldn't want a bike to be taken from me that I just sunk a bunch of money into. The ER-6N I'd probably have to take a look at in person. I like the look of the F and I may go for it if they do end up selling it but I'm not too sure about the N. I figured the 250R would get a few more MPG or KPL but if that's true then the N really has that going for it.

I'll mainly be using the bike to get around Bangkok and for taking trips to Pattaya. I'd also like to take trips up north and up to the north east but I may hold off on that and cruise on the 250R for a year. The used ones seem to sell quick so getting rid of it after a year shouldn't be a problem. it will give me time to get used to riding, the city, and to check how much of my money I'm blowing living out there.

Maybe the 600cc selection will increase by next year..I wouldn't mind picking up a Ninja 650R

You're definitely from the States. The reason I know is that the Ninja 650 is nothing but the ER-6F. I.E. the same ER-6N that is sold in Thailand with a fairing. Not to worry though, hopefully Kawasaki releases the Ninja 600 (ZX-6R) which is way up on power over the ER-6F and is much better suited for track days.

Edited by dave_boo

You're definitely from the States. The reason I know is that the Ninja 650 is nothing but the ER-6F. I.E. the same ER-6N that is sold in Thailand with a fairing. Not to worry though, hopefully Kawasaki releases the Ninja 600 (ZX-6R) which is way up on power over the ER-6F and is much better suited for track days.

I'm from the States but I haven't lived there much at all in the past 8 years. I know they're basically the same but I'd like some wind protection up front. But it looks like you're right..after looking again the F and the 650R are the same bike...well I feel pretty dumb right now :o Edited by Jake1

I'm from the States but I haven't lived there much at all in the past 8 years. I know they're basically the same but I'd like some wind protection up front. But it looks like you're right..after looking again the F and the 650R are the same bike...well I feel pretty dumb right now :o

I didn't post that to denigrate you merely inform.

And actually, the ER-6F would probably be better suited for your purposes. Should slice through Bangkok traffic better and will be more comfortable touring.

I didn't post that to denigrate you merely inform.

And actually, the ER-6F would probably be better suited for your purposes. Should slice through Bangkok traffic better and will be more comfortable touring.

No worries man. It's good to know they're the same bike..if the F does arrive I could of been starring at it and asking the dealer when they're going to start selling the 650R :o

The ER6n is a great bike and in Thailand the price just can't be beat. The ER-6f is coming, but seems the release will be delayed until late summer/fall because the factory just can't keep up with export demand. Some call the ER-6 a "learners bike" and it's true that it's a very easy bike to ride, light and narrow with strong brakes, great handling and a very smooth power band. That said- there have already been a couple of Farang fatalities on this bike here in the LOS and if you're new to biking in Thailand do approach with caution. Riding here is a whole different ball game. My first bike in Thailand was a Ninja 250R and it was a wicked fun little bike that gave me 12,000km of smiles. Both bikes are avaiable for rent in Chiang Mai and Pattaya so why not take both for a spin and see which one fits you best. They are both outstanding machines- it's really just a question of personal preference.

Happy Trails!

Tony

The ER6n is a great bike and in Thailand the price just can't be beat. The ER-6f is coming, but seems the release will be delayed until late summer/fall because the factory just can't keep up with export demand. Some call the ER-6 a "learners bike" and it's true that it's a very easy bike to ride, light and narrow with strong brakes, great handling and a very smooth power band. That said- there have already been a couple of Farang fatalities on this bike here in the LOS and if you're new to biking in Thailand do approach with caution. Riding here is a whole different ball game. My first bike in Thailand was a Ninja 250R and it was a wicked fun little bike that gave me 12,000km of smiles. Both bikes are avaiable for rent in Chiang Mai and Pattaya so why not take both for a spin and see which one fits you best. They are both outstanding machines- it's really just a question of personal preference.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Was waiting for you to chime in....didn't you cruise on a Wave before the Ninja? :o

Quite sad to hear about the deaths; first time I had come across it. Would be interesting to learn about the circumstances, i.e. was the bike more than the rider could handle or were there extenuating circumstances?