Kawasaki Ninja 250 - New Thread, 12/2008

PeaceBlondie

The ER6n is a great bike and in Thailand the price just can't be beat. The ER-6f is coming, but seems the release will be delayed until late summer/fall because the factory just can't keep up with export demand. Some call the ER-6 a "learners bike" and it's true that it's a very easy bike to ride, light and narrow with strong brakes, great handling and a very smooth power band. That said- there have already been a couple of Farang fatalities on this bike here in the LOS and if you're new to biking in Thailand do approach with caution. Riding here is a whole different ball game. My first bike in Thailand was a Ninja 250R and it was a wicked fun little bike that gave me 12,000km of smiles. Both bikes are avaiable for rent in Chiang Mai and Pattaya so why not take both for a spin and see which one fits you best. They are both outstanding machines- it's really just a question of personal preference.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Probably better safe than sorry. I'll more than likely throw a full exhaust and some grippy tires on the 250 and get used to riding in Thailand.

I've read a few of your posting and saw you took the 250R out a good bit. Did your wife go on many rides with you? Was it comfortable with the two of you on the bike for a couple hours at a time?

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've read a few of your posting and saw you took the 250R out a good bit. Did your wife go on many rides with you? Was it comfortable with the two of you on the bike for a couple hours at a time?

Hiya Jake,

The pillion on the Ninja 250R is a joke- a real a$$ buster. Do not try to take your missus/gf for long rides on the back of a Ninja 250R. For a few hundred Baht you could easily have it remade though... (Same goes for the regular seat- it definitely takes some getting used to- just ask Ithailian! :o )

Cheers,

Tony

The ER6n is a great bike and in Thailand the price just can't be beat. The ER-6f is coming, but seems the release will be delayed until late summer/fall because the factory just can't keep up with export demand. Some call the ER-6 a "learners bike" and it's true that it's a very easy bike to ride, light and narrow with strong brakes, great handling and a very smooth power band. That said- there have already been a couple of Farang fatalities on this bike here in the LOS and if you're new to biking in Thailand do approach with caution. Riding here is a whole different ball game. My first bike in Thailand was a Ninja 250R and it was a wicked fun little bike that gave me 12,000km of smiles. Both bikes are avaiable for rent in Chiang Mai and Pattaya so why not take both for a spin and see which one fits you best. They are both outstanding machines- it's really just a question of personal preference.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Was waiting for you to chime in....didn't you cruise on a Wave before the Ninja? :D

Quite sad to hear about the deaths; first time I had come across it. Would be interesting to learn about the circumstances, i.e. was the bike more than the rider could handle or were there extenuating circumstances?

Hi Dave,

Nope, no Wave but I have been known to borrow our maid's Click for beer and ice runs- it's got that handy hook ya know :o

The first fatality I read about occurred on rental ER6n in Chiang Mai. The European guy was going to fast, tried to overtake a scooter, made contact and both he and his Thai passenger died. The other one not many details and no witnesses, but a foreign guy riding an ER6n solo lost it in the twisties and went splat. Of course those are only the one's I've read about. Doubtless there have been more incidents that have gone unreported.

At Kawa Big Bike in BKK they've got a mangled Ninja 250R that's been hanging from an engine hoist for a couple of weeks now. Rider died. Kinda weird to leave the wrecked bike there in plain site...

Anyway- ride safe and know your limits! Keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down!

Happy Trails,

Tony

Hi Dave,

Nope, no Wave but I have been known to borrow our maid's Click for beer and ice runs- it's got that handy hook ya know :o

The first fatality I read about occurred on rental ER6n in Chiang Mai. The European guy was going to fast, tried to overtake a scooter, made contact and both he and his Thai passenger died. The other one not many details and no witnesses, but a foreign guy riding an ER6n solo lost it in the twisties and went splat. Of course those are only the one's I've read about. Doubtless there have been more incidents that have gone unreported.

At Kawa Big Bike in BKK they've got a mangled Ninja 250R that's been hanging from an engine hoist for a couple of weeks now. Rider died. Kinda weird to leave the wrecked bike there in plain site...

Anyway- ride safe and know your limits! Keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down!

Happy Trails,

Tony

Ouch. So most likely rider error on both. Those twisties can be quite nasty; had I lost it further in the corner on my ride it wouldn't have been pretty with that guardrail looming....there's all sorts of hazards out there and starting out on a smaller bike, especially after a lifetime of riding in the 'civil' West is probably the best idea.

Hi Dave,

Happy Trails,

Tony

Ouch. So most likely rider error on both. Those twisties can be quite nasty; had I lost it further in the corner on my ride it wouldn't have been pretty with that guardrail looming....there's all sorts of hazards out there and starting out on a smaller bike, especially after a lifetime of riding in the 'civil' West is probably the best idea.

Yeah Dave- rider error in both cases. (And I'd hazard a guess that the vast majority of motorcycle accidents/fatalities in THailand are due to rider error)

There's nothing wrong with the ER-6n, but I think that for someone who is new to biking, or not used to riding in Thailand, that it can be a bit much to start out with. Myself, Bard, Ithailian and others chose the Ninja 250R to gently ease our way in to the Thai biking scene, and I think we are all well served by that decision. After all with its 2 year unlimited warranty and guaranteed legal green book, the Ninja 250R maintains excellent resale value so there's really not much to lose by starting out that way and then working your way up to something bigger if that's what you want to do later.

Anyway- good luck getting your hands on an ER6n now- there is a 2 month waiting list!

Hi Dave,

Happy Trails,

Tony

Yeah Dave- rider error in both cases. (And I'd hazard a guess that the vast majority of motorcycle accidents/fatalities in THailand are due to rider error)

There's nothing wrong with the ER-6n, but I think that for someone who is new to biking, or not used to riding in Thailand, that it can be a bit much to start out with. Myself, Bard, Ithailian and others chose the Ninja 250R to gently ease our way in to the Thai biking scene, and I think we are all well served by that decision. After all with its 2 year unlimited warranty and guaranteed legal green book, the Ninja 250R maintains excellent resale value so there's really not much to lose by starting out that way and then working your way up to something bigger if that's what you want to do later.

Anyway- good luck getting your hands on an ER6n now- there is a 2 month waiting list!

Oh rlly?

I know a Kawker dealership that has (at least) two of them-a black and an orange. If you have a mate who's looking for one, I'll give you the information. Otherwise I'll throw it out into the forum.

Oh rlly?

I know a Kawker dealership that has (at least) two of them-a black and an orange. If you have a mate who's looking for one, I'll give you the information. Otherwise I'll throw it out into the forum.

Wow- that is quite amazing- Kawa Rama 9 in BKK and Kawa Mityon in Pattaya both have 2 month waiting lists for the ER-6n. I guess there's not much cooperation between the dealers if you know of one that's sitting on two unsold bikes. Interesting indeed.

Oh rlly?

Wow- that is quite amazing- Kawa Rama 9 in BKK and Kawa Mityon in Pattaya both have 2 month waiting lists for the ER-6n. I guess there's not much cooperation between the dealers if you know of one that's sitting on two unsold bikes. Interesting indeed.

Mityon said they can have delivery in may or earlier,,,,,,, i think! around 225000 maybe 275000 baht as i wasnt listening closely. the ninja they can get next day 145000 baht plus insurance 7500 for 1st class

Edited by yankee99

Oh rlly?

Mityon said they can have delivery in may or earlier,,,,,,, i think! around 225000 maybe 275000 baht as i wasnt listening closely. the ninja they can get next day 145000 baht plus insurance 7500 for 1st class

Yeah- that's what I said- Two month wait for the ER-6n at Kawasaki Mityon Pattaya, same for Rama 9 showroom in BKK. Price is 225,000. Even the orange display model in the Pattaya showroom is sold! The Rayong factory is now busy cranking out Ninja 650's for the US market and they've only got one line for the 650 so they won't be making any ER6n's or ER6f's until they finish the run on the Ninja 650's.

So- if you want to get your hands on an ER6n now you'd better ask Dave Boo very nicely where the unsold ER6n's are :D:D:o:D

I'm planning on moving to Bangkok in August and I've been trying to decide what bike will be the best all-arounder for me. The Ninja 250R is at the top of my list so far but I was wondering if you guys could change my mind or confirm my decision.

I'm pretty new to bikes and the 250 seems like a good bike to learn on but I'm not sure if I'll be in a hurry to move up to something bigger right away or if it's enough bike to keep me content for a year or two. I'm 6'3" and about 185lbs (190cm 84kilos) and I'll be using the bike to get around Bangkok but also to tour around the country. Is it enough bike for a guy my size to do this? and is it big enough for me and a 40 Kilo Thai girl to cruise around the Country on?

Thanks

I would say its a superb bike to learn on.. Light, fairly forgiving, yet as Tony has proved can grip with the best of them and cruise the country if you want.

The thing I would say tho, I am the same height (but 25 - 30 kg heavier than) you and to me its too small a bike. Sure its useable, I mean you can ride anything, but I feel perched on top rather then in the saddle and (for me not you probably) I read Daves comments on bottoming out the forks.

If it was me in the market for a bike the ER6 is a bearable price increase over the 250 and in a different league of machine. I would think you could learn road safety on it but of course be conscious of speeds etc. Dont get carried away, over confident, or lapse into riding without gear (one of my biggest bad habits).

Orange one in the showroom of my local dealer that he claimed he can sell and he said maybe 2 weeks back he expected more mid and end this month ??

Maybe just dealer allocations, he has sold a handful already but I havent seen any live on the roads.

I'm planning on moving to Bangkok in August and I've been trying to decide what bike will be the best all-arounder for me. The Ninja 250R is at the top of my list so far but I was wondering if you guys could change my mind or confirm my decision.

I'm pretty new to bikes and the 250 seems like a good bike to learn on but I'm not sure if I'll be in a hurry to move up to something bigger right away or if it's enough bike to keep me content for a year or two. I'm 6'3" and about 185lbs (190cm 84kilos) and I'll be using the bike to get around Bangkok but also to tour around the country. Is it enough bike for a guy my size to do this? and is it big enough for me and a 40 Kilo Thai girl to cruise around the Country on?

Thanks

I would say its a superb bike to learn on.. Light, fairly forgiving, yet as Tony has proved can grip with the best of them and cruise the country if you want.

The thing I would say tho, I am the same height (but 25 - 30 kg heavier than) you and to me its too small a bike. Sure its useable, I mean you can ride anything, but I feel perched on top rather then in the saddle and (for me not you probably) I read Daves comments on bottoming out the forks.

If it was me in the market for a bike the ER6 is a bearable price increase over the 250 and in a different league of machine. I would think you could learn road safety on it but of course be conscious of speeds etc. Dont get carried away, over confident, or lapse into riding without gear (one of my biggest bad habits).

Wow, I'm quit a bit shorter than you but just as heavy? Perhaps my sex machine doesn't need as large of a gas tank.....

And for the record, that bottoming out occured over some pretty gnarly roads, which those who've rode up where I live can tell you we have plenty of. But even during spirited riding on smooth roads there's quite a disturbing amount of dive. I do agree with you about feeling 'perched' on the bike, however considering what you were riding when I last saw you it's not surprising. The riding position is quite different from your Suzuki.

Tsk, tsk; not riding with your gear on. With the exception of the ~600 meters down to the corner store (usually undertaken on the MIL's Airblade--handy little hook for the drinks) I always wiggle into my gear. Luckily have only had to test it one time, but safety gear is like condoms--better to have it and not need it than not have it and get royally fuc_ked for life.

I know I know.. Helmet 100%... Jacket and gloves >90%.. But jeans on Phuket ?? Probably only about 30 - 40% of the time !! I just cant function where I get where I am going in jeans in these temps !! If out on a ride then sure they go on, but in day to day use I screw that up. I should know better, had skin grafts before and they are not fun.

I've been reading a lot of reviews about the ER-6N and it seems pretty user friendly. I'll probably take them both for a spin once I'm moved in and settled and decide from there.

For me the ER-6N sits to high. I am 5' 7" 190lbs and could not set my feet down flat like the 250r. Also i have burnt my leg twice on the 250r and never on my cbr150.......Miytons will also let you test drive one if you have a license!!!

For me the ER-6N sits to high. I am 5' 7" 190lbs and could not set my feet down flat like the 250r. Also i have burnt my leg twice on the 250r and never on my cbr150.......Miytons will also let you test drive one if you have a license!!!

The bars on the ER-6 are quite a bit taller than the Ninja 250R's clip ons, but seat height actually is about the same if I recall the figures correctly. Yeah- just double checked- Ninja 250R seat height is 30.7 inches. Seat height of the ER-6 is 31 inches. So, .3 of an inch difference? That's nothing and the ER6 is about as narrow as the Ninja 250R. The taller bars of the ER6 do take some getting used to though and a popular mod is lower (straight) bars.

If you burned your leg on the Ninja 250R that means you were riding in shorts- Naughty naughty! :D (I did the same on my Ninja more than once though... :o )

No way to burn yourself on the ER6 unless somebody runs you over with one :D:D:D

The ninja 250 is fairly simple to lower. Either by taking a bit off the seat or using a lowing kit. For around BKK and the occasional trip i think the Ninja 250 with an exhaust, decent tyres and Kawa ex500 front fork springs would be ideal. the ex500 fork is the same but with a higher lb spring rate, you might even be able to spec that on a new bike(they are made in the same factory).

also know there are some nice preload adjusters available from YSS here in Thailand.

If you can get a low mileage clean 2nd hand one and then do the mods. cheap as chips.

Allan

The ninja 250 is fairly simple to lower. Either by taking a bit off the seat or using a lowing kit. For around BKK and the occasional trip i think the Ninja 250 with an exhaust, decent tyres and Kawa ex500 front fork springs would be ideal. the ex500 fork is the same but with a higher lb spring rate, you might even be able to spec that on a new bike(they are made in the same factory).

also know there are some nice preload adjusters available from YSS here in Thailand.

Hi Allan,

I just toured the Kawasaki factory in Rayong this past weekend and I'm pretty sure the ex500 is NOT made in Thailand, but rather in Japan...

Cheers,

Tony

Wow what a intelligence .... 1994 was the production date for the original EX500, I came to Thailand in 1998... so sure not much bikes where produced before that date.... (excluding 2 stroke littles)

For the person who needs equipment for a EX500, please PM we basically have everything on stock for all Kawasaki bikes.

Edited by Richard-BKK

'The Kawasaki Ninja 500R (which was originally named, and is still referred to as the EX500 and is known as the GPZ500 in some markets) is a 498 cc motorcycle manufactured by Kawasaki Heavy Industries from 1987 to present.' source wikipedia.

last one to made in 2009.

ok might be wrong about made in THAILAND. BUT I know the higher rate spring will fit the 250, same fork. i would still try and order it with the bike :o:D :D :D

Any way Tony. you were correct about the Cbr forks, had to get them to change them. and the bike came back last week. sold it already.

gonna sort myself out a bigger bike, but more of a street cruiser. its a Suzuki VX800.

Allan

Asking about the YSS suspension alternatives offered by YSS Thailand, it seems that the factory and the major European and international dealers cannot inform anybody about why you need to change....... Early reports by us done in the Netherlands, where resulting in less road stability while braking.... then using originals....

The bars on the ER-6 are quite a bit taller than the Ninja 250R's clip ons, but seat height actually is about the same if I recall the figures correctly. Yeah- just double checked- Ninja 250R seat height is 30.7 inches. Seat height of the ER-6 is 31 inches. So, .3 of an inch difference? That's nothing and the ER6 is about as narrow as the Ninja 250R. The taller bars of the ER6 do take some getting used to though and a popular mod is lower (straight) bars.

If you burned your leg on the Ninja 250R that means you were riding in shorts- Naughty naughty! :D (I did the same on my Ninja more than once though... :o )

No way to burn yourself on the ER6 unless somebody runs you over with one :D:D:D

Have no choice but shorts as its my daily driver in pattaya.......

I want to get some decals? I have seen some available on ebay...are they also available in thailand???

Yankee have you ever heard of jeans they are a wonderful invention, they are like shorts but longer therefor protecting your legs, they come in lots of different styles also, tight or loose to suit yourself.

:wai::P:D :D :jerk: :burp::o:D :D

Sorry just playing with ya. but seriously it pays to wear at least jeans and sneakers while you are riding even slow speed road rash HURTSSSSSSSS.

Allan

Yankee have you ever heard of jeans they are a wonderful invention, they are like shorts but longer therefor protecting your legs, they come in lots of different styles also, tight or loose to suit yourself.

:wai::P:D:D :jerk: :burp::o:D:D

Sorry just playing with ya. but seriously it pays to wear at least jeans and sneakers while you are riding even slow speed road rash HURTSSSSSSSS.

Allan

Allan the good news is i am gonna drop the flip flops when i ride. I do have socks and sneaker here....I really dont think i can deal with the heat of jeans. I do agree that i should wear them!!!!!!1

Get ya self some baggy jeans mate. i dont wear shorts at all unless i go to the beach. it really aint that hot but the road rash hurts like <deleted>=k. I have had a few accidents here in Thailand but wearing Mesh Armour jacket most of the time and jeans, helmet and gloves at all times when riding they have not been so bad. 1 = 3 days in Hospital (fractured clavicle and 3 day loss of memory)that was on a wave :o , 2 = just bruising and scrapes 3 = bruising and scrapes and bruised ego ( it was a mates fino, long story but its on here somewhere. sorry again Bard) 4 = bruising and sprained wrists

Certainly on longer trips wear some safety gear. end of Dad talking :D :D

Edited by thaicbr

Asking about the YSS suspension alternatives offered by YSS Thailand, it seems that the factory and the major European and international dealers cannot inform anybody about why you need to change....... Early reports by us done in the Netherlands, where resulting in less road stability while braking.... then using originals....

Does anyone have any idea what Richard is talking about???

Wow what a intelligence .... 1994 was the production date for the original EX500, I came to Thailand in 1998... so sure not much bikes where produced before that date.... (excluding 2 stroke littles)

For the person who needs equipment for a EX500, please PM we basically have everything on stock for all Kawasaki bikes.

Wow- what a intelligence.... :o The ex500 is still in production and has been since 1987 and was last updated in 1994. :D

Does anyone have any idea what Richard is talking about???

I won't pretend to understand exactly what he wrote (shit, I can't understand some of the stuff I write sometimes), but it seems that he's trying to say that YSS=crap and you're better off using original.

I did catch the part that admits that he is affiliated with Kawasaki....

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone looked at adding a big bore kit? I believe can get up to 330cc? Does anyone have any knowledge of this being done?

I am considering buying a Ninja 250 but would like some extra oomph for the open road.....

Id like the ER 6......but dont like the look of the N model or the ride position.

I am thinking of a late model second hand bike and use the saving from new price to do the mods.

Welcome any suggestions or advice.........