The Most Annoying Behaviour On Thai Roads

12DrinkMore

there are or were a few things that annoyed me. 1st when driving a car and I signal my intention to turn left and have to wait for all the the motor bikes to pass me on the left because they apparently have no idea what a left hand turn signal means or they can't figure out how to pass you on the right. 2nd all those road blocks on the highways every 50kms or so that you don't see until you come around a bend at 120 kph and they are not even staffed. All the police are taking a nap on the side of the road. 3rd the whistle blowers in every carpark you go to why does everyone need a whistle.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot about the lazy jerks (99% 0f cars & 100% of motorcycles) that cut a right turn short. Som of them cross the center line 50 meters before the junction.

Laziness pure & simple.

I am sure the ER are full of these stupid inconsiderate selfish jerks.

Pass the test? You must be kidding !!!! There is no "test".

there are or were a few things that annoyed me. 1st when driving a car and I signal my intention to turn left and have to wait for all the the motor bikes to pass me on the left because they apparently have no idea what a left hand turn signal means or they can't figure out how to pass you on the right.

Your first big mistake (& I think Tony already pointed this out) is that IT IS FORBIDDEN to use ones mirrors. How you knew there are motorcycles beside you I don't know. Do you use cameras? CIA spy sattelites?

I would do what the locals do. Clamp a mobile phone to your ear & try & drive with one hand. Make a left hand turn anywhere you dam_n well please & crush those motorcycles under your wheels. Never ever use turn signals.

Otherwise we will revoke your permeit to yak on your mobile.

:o

Laziness pure & simple.

I think lack of education, rather than stupidity or laziness, is the problem.

No one has taught the Thais road awareness or road safety so they just follow the herd in repeating this accepted practice.

Laziness pure & simple.

I think lack of education, rather than stupidity or laziness, is the problem.

No one has taught the Thais road awareness or road safety so they just follow the herd in repeating this accepted practice.

yes I think the road rules are just guide not meant to be adhered to. well now after 2 years I just close my eyes and put the foot down.

One thing I find frightening on occassion is the number of vehicles without lights after dark. Like, what's a couple of globes worth?

Surprised that this hasn't been commented on more here. In Chiang Mai (city), I lose count of how many bikes I see at night without lights front or back. Point being I am actually more worried about the ones I don't see (until it's too late) - often coming the wrong way up my side of the road. I'd guesstimate about 35% with at least one light out and about 20% with both out.

Seems to happen less out in the sticks (i.e. no street lighting) - so maybe some notion of it being a good idea to be able to see what's in front of you can actually sink in......... less sure if that applies to the idea of being seen. I have asked about it and the replies range from "too lazy" through "too poor" to "save gas" :o

All the stranger when you see so much being spent by so many to add those oh-so-cute flashing LED's to otherwise ordinary pick-ups etc..........

Bikes turning right at junctions - what is that all about ?

This is opposed to the traditional Western method of turning right at 90 degrees just past the joining left hand lane, thus allowing turning vehicles at crossroads to pass each other before making their turn.

......blah blah blah - in case you haven't noticed you're not in the West and if you play King Canute on this one you're a PIA and just cause confusion. That's how it's done here and as I said above, if you intro'd the Highway Code you'd have instant gridlock.

Stupid falang who can't adjust to a different way can be a bigger problem than how it is. You won't change anything by pirouetting around at junctions, you'll just get knocked off sooner or later.

Someone I can't remember once said:-

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time and it annoys the pig".

Give it up and do it their way.

......blah blah blah - in case you haven't noticed you're not in the West and if you play King Canute on this one you're a PIA and just cause confusion. That's how it's done here and as I said above, if you intro'd the Highway Code you'd have instant gridlock.

Stupid falang who can't adjust to a different way can be a bigger problem than how it is. You won't change anything by pirouetting around at junctions, you'll just get knocked off sooner or later.

Someone I can't remember once said:-

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time and it annoys the pig".

Good to see you have a sense of humour mickba :o

I would never attempt a revolution. 40 years of doing something 'wrong' makes it 'right' - and you are indeed correct, I long ago realised that the only way to survive was do as the Romans do. My g/f now is the one getting scared when I drive the bike 100 metres against the flow of traffic rather than drive 300 metres to the mext U turn.

^ i do it their way (only the smart things) as it makes for better riding :o

hop up on the sidewalk, ride in between cars, pause then go through the red, park my bike anywhere....the lot. but there are things that, regardless of where you're from should be common sense; riding dead center of the road while doing 25km is plain stupid. phone while on a bike....retarded. all that stuff. by and large though riding here is pretty awesome. if this was in canada....with as many bikes on the road....we'd all be dead!

What scares me the most driving upcountry is the number of school girls riding motorbikes to school and home without the slightest awareness of other road users.

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve cringed at some of their lane changing manoeuvres. I’ve watched a sip lor lock up as a teen just pulled out in front of it and then puttered off oblivious to the fact they were nearly roadkill.

It’s got me beat how some of them make it to adulthood.

......Someone I can't remember once said:-

Good to see you have a sense of humour mickba :o ..........

dam_n! You spotted that eh? Just when I thought I could have some fun winding someone up. Ah well, at least I'm not bored any more and this is more fun than the death threats from the ex(I wish) GF. You think I'm joking again eh?

...............hop up on the sidewalk, ride in between cars, pause then go through the red, park my bike anywhere...........riding dead center of the road while doing 25km is plain stupid....retarded. ............... by and large though riding here is pretty awesome. if this was in canada....with as many bikes on the road....we'd all be dead!

Won't mean anything to a Canadian I suppose, but as I described it to my bro' in England, it's like the Cadwell Frenzy but without the rules.

As you say - awesome! - as long as you don't go leaving one of those horrible pink and white stripes up the road. :o

P.S. What's wrong with using your mobile? It's only illegal in a car. :D

mickba

i suppose if i jam the phone in 1 side of my helmet then it's ok :o i saw a motorbike taxi on the phone on soi 22 going at a decent clip and took a right turn after going left around a car....was insane...cool to watch but insane. everyday on the bike is like turning on the tv...pure entertainment. like most things here.

what the hel_l is the cadwell frenzy? sounds like a chocolate bar :D

Why is that 70 % of posters on here are driving cars & trucks & are concerned about scratching them?

I just about got killed one night. The moron on the wave had his headlamp on - it's just that his helmet in his basket blocked it. I was on the extreme wrong side of the road cutting a speedbump.

You motorcy riders know what I am talking about.

They cut a right hand turn because it is quicker & they are bone lazy. After 32 years I am entitled to comment on this.

I hope they go under a redi-mix truck.

mickba

i suppose if i jam the phone in 1 side of my helmet then ...........................what the hel_l is the cadwell frenzy? sounds like a chocolate bar :o

duhhhhh

phone? - well you're not as quick as ChaiMai is all I'll say.

Cadwell Frenzy? - Cadwell Park, Lincolnshire, England is a race track - esp. bikes. Up to a few years ago Performance Bikes held a 2 day event where basically Joe Public could 'run what you brung' and about the only rule seemed to be that everyone went round the same way - unlike Pattaya - get the picture? - it was madness.

Edited by mickba

Nothing annoys me.

Driving is a lot more fun this way, trust me :o

I see drivers complaining about everything and anything when I am a passenger. Sometimes even my passengers complain about other cars on the road. They seem to be blind towards their own driving mistakes while criticising others.

What they don't realize is that it's not about the others, it's all about your own state of mind. The other drivers are not the problem, you are the problem. Once you realize that, there is no problem anymore. Why complain about something you can't change - the others' driving - instead of concentrating on what you can control, namely your own reaction to it.

Driving between Lom Sak and Phetchabun two days ago, a pickup was reversing on the left carriageway, not in the bike/left lane, no hazards on, but could see reversing lights. Mrs warned me as I saw him, eased around him no problem, but she had a go at me "What you do, why you dont see him?

Defies logic and commonsense and survival skills, so about right for here really, of course it was my fault entirely.

Why is that 70 % of posters on here are driving cars & trucks & are concerned about scratching them?

I just about got killed one night. The moron on the wave had his headlamp on - it's just that his helmet in his basket blocked it. I was on the extreme wrong side of the road cutting a speedbump.

You motorcy riders know what I am talking about.

They cut a right hand turn because it is quicker & they are bone lazy. After 32 years I am entitled to comment on this.

32 years of what dotcom? 32 years of perching urself high upon ur avatar? I think Thailand already has enuf people getting killed on its roads without you willing another couple to death.....perhaps you could get out of your airconditioned 1965 model merc, stop considering yourself such a first class passenger in life & give yourself a couple of uppercuts!

Edited by neverdie

...............I absolutely hate when I am just riding along minding my own business....not too slow, not too fast & somchai on or in his whatever, comes steaming past at a great rate of knots just to overtake you. At which point no sooner after doing so (sometimes when he is not fully past you) they suddenly brake like theres no tomorrow and pull left in front of you to turn left into a soi. The entire operation could have been smoothly completed behind you. F A R K E R S!...........................

Beat me to it on that one. :o

I don't usually drive too fast and stay in the leftside motorbike lane. It bugs me when I'm in that lane and a car or pick up is heading towards me going the wrong way and flashes ME to get out of the way, especially when traffic is heavy and there is nowhere for me to go.

Another thing - drivers straddling the line dividing the motorbike lane and the main carriageway. Are they going to pull out or in or just stay there for 10Km?

Most car drivers seem to think that motorbikes have no rights on the road. Sometimes I'm on the main carriageway as the mc lane is too full off potholes and even if the road is clear, cars will often pass within inches, when there is plenty of room for them to pull out a bit.

Car breakdowns or flat tyres. Why do they go and collect branches and lay them in the mc lane? If you can see the branches your gonna see that car or pickup. They dont shove branches in the lane when they park. Fix tyre or whatever and off they go leaving the debris in the mc lane. You can see those branches during the day, but night-time is a different matter.

Car drivers who flick their burning cigarettes out of the window. I've also been hit by a coke can .

most annoying: cars that roll up to a junction and then start edging out trying to get the motorbikes to lose their nerve in a game of "chicken".

most entertaining: thai motorcycle rider arriving at a junction and just swinging left into the road without looking. (I saw one do it in front of a bus one day, the bus driver swerved just in time, while sompong was completely oblivious to how close to death he was.)

most annoying: cars that roll up to a junction and then start edging out trying to get the motorbikes to lose their nerve in a game of "chicken".

most entertaining: thai motorcycle rider arriving at a junction and just swinging left into the road without looking. (I saw one do it in front of a bus one day, the bus driver swerved just in time, while sompong was completely oblivious to how close to death he was.)

I have actually got past the annoyance on that.. I now just expect it.. Any body can just steam straight out if turning left without any thought..

I even saw a woman recently steam straight out (just in front of me) then immediately swerve into the middle of the road and stop (turning right but oncoming traffic) as I emergency braked, swerved first right then left, and just missed her she then had the foresight to turn her indicator on !!

Nothing annoys me.

Driving is a lot more fun this way, trust me :D

I see drivers complaining about everything and anything when I am a passenger. Sometimes even my passengers complain about other cars on the road. They seem to be blind towards their own driving mistakes while criticising others.

What they don't realize is that it's not about the others, it's all about your own state of mind. The other drivers are not the problem, you are the problem. Once you realize that, there is no problem anymore. Why complain about something you can't change - the others' driving - instead of concentrating on what you can control, namely your own reaction to it.

Well said Nikster! :o

Nothing annoys me.

Driving is a lot more fun this way, trust me :D

Well said Nikster! :D

Yes never mind that fortuner parked on my forehead....tis all in my mind. :o:D:D

You're all heart... :o

That's how I got my nickname "Sweetness" LOL :D

hey dotty, you are ignoring my questions.....are you afraid to tell us the story about your avatar? and what have you been doing for 32 years? What is with this nickname 'Sweetness' You are starting to scare me with all this patchy information.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE - HOPE YOU CRACK SOME HEADS ON THE ROAD IN 2009! :D

Guest Bellini
there are or were a few things that annoyed me. 1st when driving a car and I signal my intention to turn left and have to wait for all the the motor bikes to pass me on the left because they apparently have no idea what a left hand turn signal means or they can't figure out how to pass you on the right...

If you are turning left and there is enough room on the left of your car for motorcycles to pass, you are doing something wrong.