For Those Who Dont Have 400,000 In The Bank

Hello..

I have a question about this yearly extension requirement for the "non-immigrant type-O visa" maninly the 40,000 or 400,000 baht :o

I'm an Englishman, with a Thai girlfriend who has plan's like most, to live a long and happy life and one day get married and start a family together. But myself and the g/f are still finding our way through our careers, and money is quite tight at this moment in time. I myself am in full time education studying for my B.A. The g/f is also a student and in part time work...

My question is. Because i wont be able to meet the financial requirements set by the thai government (maybe for some time) :D

Are there any other readers that are in a similar situation with regards to this Bureaucratic minefield. And if so, what is the options for us guys that desire to marry, but dont have the money to qualify for that "yearly extension" ?

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa based on marriage. That means you have to leave the country every 90 days and about every 15 months get a new visa.

Or if you are going to school here you can get an ED visa and extension for study.

if you are not married and you are 50+ you have to have 800,000 baht and/or 65,000 baht a month.

if you are married you need 400,000 baht a month or 40,000 a month.

if you cannot get 40,000 a month how are you living??????

maybe i have misread your post and you have a b visa/and/or some extra income but cannot get 400,000 in a bank.

please explain your situation more.

if you are not married and you are 50+ you have to have 800,000 baht and/or 65,000 baht a month.

maybe i have misread your post and you have a b visa/and/or some extra income but cannot get 400,000 in a bank.

The op said they were a young couple so 50 years is not applicable.

They are not married yet.

He is going to school full time so I think that drops the b visa out.

It is very easy to live here for much less than 40,000 baht per month.

I understand about the requirements needed for the yearly extension. As to qualify you need to show sufficent means to support your spouse. In this case its either 400,000 baht 60 days prior to making your extension, or show 40,000 per month. This much i understand :o

But as im still studying (I'm 28) my g/f is (25) its the proof of income i'm having trouble with..

We both get buy on less than 40,000 baht as i have some savings and the g/f does some part time work when she's not studying. I have found that living in chiang mai is considerably cheaper to get by than Bangkok for instance.. I guess it comes down to your lifestyle and preference. Mine may not be as lavish as yours for instance..

I should explain a little clearer that i'm currently in the UK and study via "open university" It's when i travel back in a few weeks time, returning from my christmas holidays, we both intend on setting a date for our big day. And i currently only resided in Thailand on tourist visas prior to this..

I hope i have made this somewhat clearer to understand and really just need sound advice "once married" what is my best option for the least hassle free visa and where best to acquire it ?

Thanks..

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa based on marriage. That means you have to leave the country every 90 days and about every 15 months get a new visa.

Or if you are going to school here you can get an ED visa and extension for study.

this a question for ubonjoe.the poster is not yet married,so applying for a non immigrant O visa in the UK,would he have to show money available to get this type of visa?and if so how much?

I understand about the requirements needed for the yearly extension. As to qualify you need to show sufficent means to support your spouse. In this case its either 400,000 baht 60 days prior to making your extension, or show 40,000 per month. This much i understand :o

But as im still studying (I'm 28) my g/f is (25) its the proof of income i'm having trouble with..

We both get buy on less than 40,000 baht as i have some savings and the g/f does some part time work when she's not studying. I have found that living in chiang mai is considerably cheaper to get by than Bangkok for instance.. I guess it comes down to your lifestyle and preference. Mine may not be as lavish as yours for instance..

I should explain a little clearer that i'm currently in the UK and study via "open university" It's when i travel back in a few weeks time, returning from my christmas holidays, we both intend on setting a date for our big day. And i currently only resided in Thailand on tourist visas prior to this..

I hope i have made this somewhat clearer to understand and really just need sound advice "once married" what is my best option for the least hassle free visa and where best to acquire it ?

Thanks..

You can start getting the visa situation improved before the next time you come back. You can get a multiple entry non immigrant O visa to vist your girl friend at any of the consulates mentioned in this topic. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Day-Visa-Hul...tml&hl=hull

After you are married these would still be the best option to get it.

The op said they were a young couple so 50 years is not applicable.

They are not married yet.

He is going to school full time so I think that drops the b visa out.

It is very easy to live here for much less than 40,000 baht per month.

It might be easy to live here on less then 40k per month but to get the visa BASED ON MARRIAGE you need to prove you earn that amount. So take my case in mind I invested a few

million baht in some business over here I don't have any savings and I don't get any pension.

Since the rules have been changed again I can not put down my wifes earnings as income.

Even so it is my business I invested in.( not in my name of course) So do I get stuck with

renewing my non O visa forever? ( which cost a bit of money ) And then they change the rules

again for some reason and say you can not renew it again ! So after all my investments

and being married to a thai women for 5 years now they can just say " Well you don't have the

income required or not the amount in the bank you need to have" and refuse my application?

this a question for ubonjoe.the poster is not yet married,so applying for a non immigrant O visa in the UK,would he have to show money available to get this type of visa?and if so how much?

In the UK he would not show any money at any of the consualtes I mentioned in my previous post.

It is only KL and PL that ask for it that I know of. For KL I have seen posts where money was needed and some not.

[it might be easy to live here on less then 40k per month but to get the visa BASED ON MARRIAGE you need to prove you earn that amount. So take my case in mind I invested a few

million baht in some business over here I don't have any savings and I don't get any pension.

Since the rules have been changed again I can not put down my wifes earnings as income.

Even so it is my business I invested in.( not in my name of course) So do I get stuck with

renewing my non O visa forever? ( which cost a bit of money ) And then they change the rules

again for some reason and say you can not renew it again ! So after all my investments

and being married to a thai women for 5 years now they can just say " Well you don't have the

income required or not the amount in the bank you need to have" and refuse my application?

Agree with every thing you have written. It is unfair for them to change the rules without a good grandfather clause. There is one that can be used for a year after the Nov. 25 of last year.

That may help you for your next extension.

Maybe if enough complaints are made they will change it back or make it grandfathered.

thanks ubonjoe,its just that i picked up such a visa in kota bharu but was informed i would need to show 400,000 baht in my thai account,am not married,so considered this a good visa to get.but thought the amount asked for was high.

Are you saying you just got a multi o there for marriage? Did you show 400K?

If so we need to add them to our list of consulates for that kind of visa.

[it might be easy to live here on less then 40k per month but to get the visa BASED ON MARRIAGE you need to prove you earn that amount. So take my case in mind I invested a few

Agree with every thing you have written. It is unfair for them to change the rules without a good grandfather clause. There is one that can be used for a year after the Nov. 25 of last year.

That may help you for your next extension.

Maybe if enough complaints are made they will change it back or make it grandfathered.

Thanks to make me feel a bit better I don't know what the rules are, if you could please

poste the information here or just send me an PM I am getting realy worried now I have friends

who are in the same position as me. But most of them are to scared to make any comments

let alone make a complaint to the imm department. I know most of the expaxts here don't care at all

because they get a good pension and this does not apply to them so they don't give a rats arse.

Why not start a petition to all people affected by this new law?

thanks ubonjoe,its just that i picked up such a visa in kota bharu but was informed i would need to show 400,000 baht in my thai account,am not married,so considered this a good visa to get.but thought the amount asked for was high.

Are you saying you just got a multi o there for marriage? Did you show 400K?

If so we need to add them to our list of consulates for that kind of visa.

no joe,i said am not married,.Went with visa run co.yes i was told i had to show400,000 baht.A note of warning though i would not have been confident of obtaining this visa on my own,hence the reason of going with the visa run co.

One other option would be to get a job teaching and get a B visa.

I believe teachers have been exempt from the 50K salary, and lower amounts are good enough to get you extensions.

If you do this, be sure your employer gets you a work permit.

Thanks to make me feel a bit better I don't know what the rules are, if you could please

poste the information here

Maestro posted a link to the new police order. The clause that I was referring to is on page 3. This is what it says.
6. If an alien who has entered Thailand before this order came into force and has been continuously granted temporary stay as clause 2.18(6), in case the marriage with Thai lady, is found to lack the qualifications as prescribed in this order, the Commissioner of the Immigration Bureau or competent official shall consider and decide on the particular case based on the prevailing reasons and circumstances within 1 year from the effective date hereof.

I have sent a message to immigration asking about this clause and how it would apply to a case such as yours. Since you have already gotten an extension where you were able to show your wifes income.

To the OP

Get a Multi Entry Non O Imm Visa from Hull in UK. Reason to Visit Friends and Family.

This will give you up to 15 months to sort things out.

Also, Air Asia will start very soon from KL to London (Stansted) at unbeatable prices. Air Asia & Hull can be 'do-able'

yup... KL to Stanstead... roughly same price as the rest of 'em..

2 237.00 Malaysian ringgits = 441.416732 British pounds

hmm.. maybe.. maybe times have changed.. last time i went came here on return ticket the cost was about 400.. before the quid dropped..

hmm... two 'economy promo' tickets:

2 007.00 Malaysian ringgits = 396.03191 British pounds ex tax.

add in costs of getting to KL... not that great a deal :o

Edited by whiterussian

It is unfair for them to change the rules without a good grandfather clause.

[...]

The fact is that I, and many others here, (including many of the professional visa companies that sponsor this forum) are all too aware that the unfairness is deliberately built in to the Thai system. In other countries, it would be paramount that the spouse of a national of that country would be given the opportunity to welcome her spouse to live and work in the host country - male or female foreign national. If children are involved, then even more so.

But in LOS there is no such consideration - it's not even a consideration. It's a game - a game to milk the foreign currency from the foreigner. The only thing that ever changes is the amount required to ante up. The fact that a Thai 'woman' (note only thai women this applies to) and often Thai children/offspring of the thai-foreigner are involved is barely a consideration - if anything it is little more than an afterthought - to avoid too much 'international' criticism. Yet, as regards criticism, where are own Governments in protecting our interests in this - and the interests of the children of the foreigners here - who are also nationals of their countries? Quiet, quiet, quiet...

After a while you begin to understand - the penny finally drops - nationality means nothing. Your country doesn't give a toss about you, your kids, etc. It's not til you need to rely on 'your country' that you find out the truth. They are all the same.

It's all about money. Life in the real world - as sh+ty as that may be..it's the truth.

Edited by aromsia

One other option would be to get a job teaching and get a B visa.

I believe teachers have been exempt from the 50K salary, and lower amounts are good enough to get you extensions.

If you do this, be sure your employer gets you a work permit.

Hi Terry..

Is there any literature on this subject or maybe a link for more reading, because this is exactly the kind of work im hoping to get into once i've passed my B.A. I'm sure your aware that the salary ranges differ greatly, between places like Bangkok, and Chiang mai (being that i'll be based in Chiang mai) I might stand a chance of reaching that magic 40,000 baht per month figure in the capital. But fear it would be hard to reach 40,000 in the north..

In the UK he would not show any money at any of the consualtes I mentioned in my previous post.

It is only KL and PL that ask for it that I know of. For KL I have seen posts where money was needed and some not.

Question for ubonjoe,

I Apologize for my lack of knowledge and naivety on this subject but am i correct in understanding that ..

1) It would be possible to return to any Thai embassy based in the UK (not sure how many there are) But London would be ideal for myself. Then apply for a "years permission to stay" without the need to show any financial evidence ? or does that just apply to multi-entry non-immigrant type-O ? (sorry just need to clarify this one)

2) When it comes to renewing the multi-entry non-immigrant type-O, in such a place like Laos or KL. Would you know of it to be a straight forward procedure. And something that could be obtained easily after each expiry? provided the paper work was in order of course..

Thanks...

ed visa,how much is that then????last post now
1900 baht per extension. Also ED extensions are often issued for only 90 days at a time.

First you will need to pay about 29,000 for a one year course. Then once you have the paperwork you need to leave Thailand and get the ED visa, then you will have to pay 1,900 every 3 months at the immigration. In total almost 40,000 a year so not a very cheap option at all.