Is Thailand Getting Too Expensive?

bberg

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we seriously comparing costs of living based on rabies injections and aircon repair costs? :o

In evaluating whether Thailand is expensive, I'd have thought the cost of healthcare and repairing aircon was just as important as using your example of a chicken sandwich :D

Except that I think the chicken sandwich is more likely to be representative of common daily costs- don't expect to be having rabies shots in different countries, myself!

The true cost of a post exposure-rabies shot in the UK? The price of a prescription - £7.10.

Don't know if people have been keeping up, but prescription charges are getting very complicated in the four home countries.

England - £7.10 - no plans to reduce charge.

Wales - free since 2007

Scotland - currently £5.00 with reductions planned every year and phasing out of charges by 2011

N. Ireland - reduced to £3.00 this month, with planned abolition of charges in 2010.

Any medical tourists out there?

Edited by citizen33

I doubt there are many 'local lasses' hooking in Bahrain. Methunk their callgirls came from elsewhere, notably Russia and former soviet bloc countries.

Their callgirls come from everywhere with a large portion coming from Asia, mainly Thailand, Philippines and China. Nowadays Bahrain is basically one big brothel and practically all the bars are loaded with girls trying to make a horizontal living.

Are we seriously comparing costs of living based on rabies injections and aircon repair costs? :o

In evaluating whether Thailand is expensive, I'd have thought the cost of healthcare and repairing aircon was just as important as using your example of a chicken sandwich :D

Except that I think the chicken sandwich is more likely to be representative of common daily costs- don't expect to be having rabies shots in different countries, myself!

The Rabies shots element was just about comparing Health Care costs in different countries, particularly as one members family is just going through this. Just because you don't expect to be having health care in different countries doesn't mean other members won't be.

I'm pretty sure Veggie members don't care about the cost of a Chicken Sandwich either. No matter what country it's sold in :D

^I would guess that rabies vaccinations, for instance, would be a bad choice of comparison because here in Thailand they are more needed, what with all the stray dogs. In any case, if you're not getting them through some big tourist-oriented hospital, I don't think they're out of reach financially 'cause a lot of the Thais who get attacked by dogs need them. So I'd guess they'd be cheaper than in the west because more common, and used by more people (economies of scale). Not that I know first hand. In any case, if we're going on about med. care- even in one of the big private hospitals, a bacterial analysis of stool sample costs much, much less here (about 10x less) than back in the U.S.; a simple visit to my local doc to get cold meds costs me about 100B, much cheaper than the same style visit in the states.

And whether or not the veggies care about chicken, they still have to eat- and I think food prices would be much more closely linked to cost of living than aircon repair.

I'm sure there still will be something wrong with my reasoning, though! :o

Difficult to comapre Thailand v UK in relation to healthcare. If you use the NHS in the UK it's free, other than prescriptions. However, if you compare private healthcare in Thailand v the equivalent in the UK (private sector) then Thailand is significantly cheaper.

UK USA Singapore Thailand

Cataract USD 4,515 USD 3,400 USD 2,423 USD 1,400

Eye Lid Surgery USD 5,615 USD 7,000 USD 3,750 USD 1,200

Face Lift USD 9,045 USD 20,000 USD 6,250 USD 4,887

Liposuction USD 7,783 USD 6,000 USD 5,000 USD 3,010

Nose Surgery USD 2,952 USD 7,300 USD 4,400 USD 1,500

Tummy Tuck USD 4,041 USD 8,500 USD 6,200 USD 2,578

Knee Replacement USD 16,035 USD 44,000 USD 13,000 USD 9,350

Dialysis USD 512 USD 600 USD 139 USD 128

Reference Sites:

http://www.eyecare.com.sg

http://www.treatmentabroad.net

http://www.privatehealth.co.uk

http://www.beautifulbeings.co.uk

http://www.visitandcare.com

http://www.thaiinterhospital.com/dialysis-clinic.html

http://www.globaldialysis.com/cost.asp

Edited by Ijustwannateach
Deleted quotation removed

Tummy Tuck

Are you trying to tell us something Toady. On our last meet in Bangers, you didn't look that bad :D

Eye Lid Surgery

Chavy could probably do with having his eye lids stapled open though and for $1,200 we could all chip in :o

Edited by mrbojangles

Tummy Tuck

Are you trying to tell us something Toady. On our last meet in Bangers, you didn't look that bad :D

Eye Lid Surgery

Chavy could probably do with having his eye lids stapled open though and for $1,200 we could all chip in :o

:D

you cannot pay me enough to eat an english breakfast

Are you telling me that if i offered you a Million Pounds to eat an English Breakfast, you'd say no. :D

I'd bet he'd eat two if you offred him a million quid. :o Sorry, course he wouldn't, most Thai visa members are loaded, so wouldn't need the money. :D

you cannot pay me enough to eat an english breakfast

Are you telling me that if i offered you a Million Pounds to eat an English Breakfast, you'd say no. :D

I'd bet he'd eat two if you offred him a million quid. :o Sorry, course he wouldn't, most Thai visa members are loaded, so wouldn't need the money. :D

I was just trying to establish if he would do it for a fee. Once i confirmed that he had a price i was going to negotiate him down. He'd probably end up eating it for 2 satang and a pair of Marygold Rubber Gloves :D

^I would guess that rabies vaccinations, for instance, would be a bad choice of comparison because here in Thailand they are more needed, what with all the stray dogs. In any case, if you're not getting them through some big tourist-oriented hospital, I don't think they're out of reach financially 'cause a lot of the Thais who get attacked by dogs need them. So I'd guess they'd be cheaper than in the west because more common, and used by more people (economies of scale).

The location of the Wife's first two shots were Buriram Ekachon hospital, private? yes, but hardly a big tourist-oriented hospital. Cost of first visit including cleaning & dressing of wound, anti-biotics & rabies shot 740 baht. Next visit, one rabies shot, 420 baht. Yes, I suppose she could have gone to the local government hospital, but as I've said, the nephew is being treated there with the old style vaccine - numerous injections in the stomach.

I suspect that most farangs living/visiting Thailand would end up at a hospital similar, or more upmarket than Buriram Ekachon. As you correctly say, Rabies vaccines are more needed here & whilst not inevitable, I think it's fair to say that a good number of farangs, especially those living in small towns/villages will find themselves, or their families, needing rabies shots at some point. So, I think the cost of rabies shots in such establishments is something they should be aware of & certainly more applicable to their case than the availability of cheaper/free treatment at a local government hospital. Not to pour scorn on local government hospitals, as it is thankful that they do provide such treatment for this terrible virus, to those who can't afford private treatment.

It is an important factor, but to me - in no particular order - the climate, the people, the stunning scenary, the food, the lifestyle - oh and the wife :o are all factors ranking above cost of living.

eerrrrrrrrrrr, where is this stunning scenery. a relative asked me what i missed most living here. to be honest its the scenery.

I am afraid that I started the rabies thing and that was because I went to the wrong place, so if it is a factor I update. The latest shot I got for only 470Baht, it was clean and quicker than Mayo, considering that the price quoted by WHO is $40 for five that is only twice as much, a good deal and possibly not a farang price. Too expensive to live here? if you can manage to keep the deposit/income requirements up to date which for me for five months is at least about three my budget, I don't think it is too expensive. The pesky Baht staying strong is not helpful to us or Thailand, and that is the problem I think.

The last year has changed many tings for many people living in Thailand. One and maybe a key element for foreigners are our value for money. The THB is strong towards many currencies, the pund is one currency that has taken a dip over the last year. The currency I represent is the Norwegian Kroner and like the pund it has fallen dramaticlly over the last year.

Yesterday I had a meal at The Bakery near Tepprasit rd down towards Jomtien. The price used to be 105 baht for an english breakfast but is now sold at 148 baht. A quick calculation gives>

Summer 08 105 baht was 1.50 punds January 09 148 baht is 2.96 punds [/size] That is a staggering 97% increase in price for the same meal if you buy you THB using punds.

I will not be back for a while when I pay London prices for a breakfast in Jomtien!

I won't advise to think in your own currency, but still: going from 105 to 148 baht in 6 months is quiet a jump!

Concerning the title of the topic: Is Thailand Getting Too Expensive? Well, it is just more expensive. Still better of in Thailand then elsewhere. Especially for the alcoholic beverages you are better of here than in Scandinavia :o

Cheers!

It is an important factor, but to me - in no particular order - the climate, the people, the stunning scenary, the food, the lifestyle - oh and the wife :o are all factors ranking above cost of living.

eerrrrrrrrrrr, where is this stunning scenery. a relative asked me what i missed most living here. to be honest its the scenery.

I don't know where you are from and stunning scenery is not exlusive to Thailand, I'll grant you that, but haven't you ever sat and watched the sunset with a beer in your hand on some of the best island beaches in the world?

Thailand is still good value from one angle: I went for a meal with my chick and a mate, 220 bt including beer in total. It's cheap too holiday on a budget.

But the costs of being able to stay here, eg, visas, cannot be discounted, and then there is health insurance too, and living costs just seem to increase exponentially.

The quality is crap let's be honest, which is ok as long as it's cheap. But Thailand is going to face a tricky situation and I don''t think it will handle competitiveness well at all.

Thailand is still cheap but it seems that many business prefer the high cost and lower volume business strategy as to lower price and higher volume.

How is that different than anywhere else in the world? You expect international multi-nationals to blindly subscribe to the chinese model of high volume - low margin? :o

Thailand is still cheap but it seems that many business prefer the high cost and lower volume business strategy as to lower price and higher volume.

How is that different than anywhere else in the world? You expect international multi-nationals to blindly subscribe to the chinese model of high volume - low margin? :o

Ever since Henry Ford, American business has revolved around the principle of high volume at low price.

Ever since Henry Ford, American business has revolved around the principle of high volume at low price.

and hence all the bail-outs.