Thai Airways - A380

tornado40

Just noticed on the Bloomberg ticker that Thai Airways are looking to delay the delivery of the Airbus A380 due to cash shortage

I wonder how long we will have to put up with the old 747's that run LHR-BKK

Soon there will also be A340s on that route. Think they'll be doing the daytime flight.

Why insult Thai Airways in this way, people pay good money to go to Disney World in Florida for 'white knuckle rides'.... with Thai Airways you get it all thrown in on the flight, seats rattling, toilets locked to give it that 'holiday atmosphere of queueing', every now and again the lights would falter, but the excited screams of passengers were something else.............. they tried to match the stewardesses.........marvellous

They saved the best until last...... the landing..............will it or won't it...... the Pilot was a true master in getting your adrenaline rush going............throttling back the engines to nothing, then as we started to fall................... then excited screams started all over again, ...they were drowned out when he put on full power with a cressendo of noise......... what a Guy.........

Sorry to bore you chaps .........but it'll never be the same without the ol'747's. I didn't realise that if you see a small part of one on the runway you can keep it....... courtesy of Thai Air.............What an Airline................. :o

Soon there will also be A340s on that route. Think they'll be doing the daytime flight.

Yeh, with them great slide down to the bottom and end up in a heap biz class seats. Who ever designed them, and who ever bought them, should be shot and 4 quartered :o ( they really are bad ). Seats are on a 30 degree angle reclined with real slippery material.

777 seats on TG slightly better, thats is if they are not broken

Just noticed on the Bloomberg ticker that Thai Airways are looking to delay the delivery of the Airbus A380 due to cash shortage

Answer 1. Until they fall out of the sky.

Answer 2. Until people stop using the airline and force them to change. Why use Thai ? tired old equipment and overpriced.

Answer 2. Until people stop using the airline and force them to change. Why use Thai ? tired old equipment and overpriced.

You just don't like Thai because they charge more,just admit it.They are a fine Airline. :o:D:D

I flew them LHR-BKK-SYD, BNE-BKK-LHR in business last month and had no complaints at all. Seats were all fine. They slope, but I never felt I was sliding out. The 777-300 seats were the best.

Toilets were always useable.

Landings were always fine. In fact I have found them incredibly smooth.

The food was great too. I honestly had no complaints about Thai.

Price was £2800 which was the best available on any airline for the route. I generally find TG affordable as long as you don't book more than a couple of months out.

You just don't like Thai because they charge more,just admit it.They are a fine Airline. :o:D:D

My flights start in Thailand as I live here.

I always used to use Thai Airways (economy) because of their good service (relative), larger seats, good reward programme and agreeable timings for me. Also, as I could get a "M" class ticket for the same price, I cuold change dates at will at no cost so good customer service. They were worth paying a little more for.

Move forward a few years, not one or two I add and they are not up to the mark. Their equipment is not just outdated but ancient. One TV for economy when nearly everyone else has video on demand ? No points on the lower fares, their loyalty programme has gone down the toilet (but so have most I will agree) and the aircraft are just old and tired. Then you have TG916 which is the daytime flight (unpopular) which was offered perhaps some 10k cheaper than the overnight flight to LHR upping it's price and TG in general trading at a premium price to nearly all other carriers, even leaders such as Singapore and Etihad.

Sorry, I love direct but with old and outdated equipment coupled with a much higher price, TG are just not in the frame. Someone must be getting their flights heavily discounted because people starting in LOS are not using them at anywhere near their previous levels. Cheap now from LHR perhaps, but expensive from LOS.

I used to pay more to fly them, but not now. It is not worth paying more to receive less, much less.

there is no doubt they are slow on the PTV's. The flights to east coast Aust and NZ have PTV in all classes with audio video on demand. there is a plan to convert the remaining B777-300 aircraft to that, 2 are complete thus far. Those new A330's coming in the next couple of years are rumoured to contain PTV's in economy also.

They will get there eventually, the plans are there to get most of the fleet replaced in the next several years.

• 1 year later...
there is no doubt they are slow on the PTV's. The flights to east coast Aust and NZ have PTV in all classes with audio video on demand. there is a plan to convert the remaining B777-300 aircraft to that, 2 are complete thus far. Those new A330's coming in the next couple of years are rumoured to contain PTV's in economy also.

They will get there eventually, the plans are there to get most of the fleet replaced in the next several years.

Just wondering if there were any updates on this topic. Just flew BKK-LHR yesterday in first. Myself and the missus had 1A and 1K so basically the whole nose section to ourselves. Great service and not so bad food and of course first is first. However, compared to the SQ updated business class the inflight entertainment and toilets look very dated now. Any ideas when we are going to see them roll out the A380. Could be a mixed blessing as it will be much more difficult to get mileage redemptions in first or business if/when it happens :)

They only put the decrepit old buses on the LHR to BKK route because we Brits whinge so much about them (and I count myself in that class!). The Ozzies and the Yanks seem to love 'em, so they get the good stuff.

Thai are not overpriced on the LHR route these days - unless you are talking about the price/quality ratio of course. They brought their prices down in about January and are now quite competitive with EVA and have been much cheaper than BA/Quantas lately. But those two queer bedfellows have started coming down towards the £600 mark I noticed a couple of days ago when looking on Opodo.com for an outbound mid July return late August (traditionally a high price season). We could be in the early throws of a price war amongst the direct carriers. Boy do we deserve some price relief given the exchange rate debacle gifted by Brown (delete that - should have said gifted by greedy house-obsessed Brits over the last few years).

They need the biggest planes they have for that route. And that means the cruddy old 744s..

I hope they put premium economy in the A380 so I don't have to keep forking out for business.

Edited by tw25rw

I flew on the thai A340-600 from LHR-BKK last year was only in operation on the route for a short time its a shame far better than the old 747-400 it makes me laugh when i went from phuket to bangkok on a domestic flight with thai 747-400 and the prices for LHR-BKK are very expensive compared with EVA Air on a good 777-300

Given up with Thai and moved to Emirates. Actually prefer the changeover in Dubai as it breaks up the monotony of the long flight. Mind u if Thai had PTV it might not be such a boring flight.

I'd be happy to be allowed to look out the window..

The present situation with old fashioned economy cabins won't go on forever. Their aircraft are gradually being replaced or retro-fitted.

A340s are horrible aircraft. They bend in the middle and the back half wags around like a crocodile. Just ask the cabin crew why they don't like getting the back cabin.

Also they are slow. Will put almost 50 mins on the BKK-LHR leg.

Never heard of them bending before, but they are certainly long. Longer than a 747. The A345 that is.. The A346 is shorter.

Are you show they have PTV? I thought the government have banned / blocked all of them.

http://www.google.co.th/search?hl=en&s...oq=&gs_rfai=