Blocked Cash Withdrawals.

benjamat

There has been some discussion on this forum regarding nationwide apparently blocking cash withdrawals in LOS.

The advice given was to inform nationwide about your travel plans in advance.

Today I have spoken to nationwide as I travel to LOS at the end of the month and this is what I have been told.

Nationwide will only block withdrawals if there is an obviously unusual transaction happening.

There is no mechanism for informing nationwide in advance about travel plans.

Normal uk withdrawal limits apply wherever you are located.

So it seems that those people who have had problems have operated outside of normal parameters.

Hope this is helpfull and will re assure travellers.

There has been some discussion on this forum regarding nationwide apparently blocking cash withdrawals in LOS.

Today I have spoken to nationwide as I travel to LOS at the end of the month and this is what I have been told.

Nationwide will only block withdrawals if there is an obviously unusual transaction happening.

So it seems that those people who have had problems have operated outside of normal parameters.

The thing is people have still had accounts on 'soft hold' while operating WITHIN normal parameters. :o

I've never had any problems using Nationwide at ATMs...must be doing something right at long last :o

They recently had a notice about it (can't remember whether it was on their logon page or in an email) where they said that there's no need to tell them your travel plans but it's very important to have a phone number where you can be reached at all times in your personal details. Presumably they'd call you if they saw something strange.

Be careful, I have had a lot phishing mail lately telling me that my Abbey account and every other account has been imobalised until I re-confirm all my details and i must re-enter my account details here. Class it as phishing and DELETE it. a.s.a.p. It's all bull. I checked my ATM card today and all is well, nothing has been stopped and I can recieve money from my account.

The thing is people have still had accounts on 'soft hold' while operating WITHIN normal parameters. :D

Not sure what "soft hold" means, but I certainly got mine made inoperative about 6 months back. When I 'phoned N/W, the Customer Service person told me "it's because your card has been flagged as being used in Thailand recently". I pointed out that it had also been used regularly (as in the same pattern of frequency and amounts) in Thailand for the previous 18 months - because I'm staying long term in Thailand now........... Much embarrassment at their end, profuse apologies - and a promise that they would make a note on the account so it wouldn't happen again.

Interestingly, not so much as a query from them when I used the same (Debit) card to make over-the-bank-counter withdrawals of 200,000 and 400,000 baht - definitely not my normal pattern/parameters! If only............ :o

I agree about making sure they have a contact 'phone number for you - and do just ignore those e-mails.

Edited by Steve2UK

Had this problem a few months ago , phoned my CIBC info/report number and was told I was using the wrong card number , I only have one CIBC card , got it sorted card un-flagged , Same problem the next month , this time i was given the PN of the fraud department , took the man a few minutes to tell me ny card is pristine . The problem was my dollar losing against the US$ and an increase charge by SBC bank , put me over the banks daily limit , he un-flagged my card , again , I dropped $100.00 off my withdrawel and bingo , no more problem .

Been using Nationwide for 4 years no problems. This year opened up another account, was in Singapore 1 night used the card, went to Phuket next day and upto Surat Thani used the card again. A block was placed on the card after this transaction, is that outside normal parametres?

Be careful, I have had a lot phishing mail lately telling me that my Abbey account and every other account has been imobalised until I re-confirm all my details and i must re-enter my account details here. Class it as phishing and DELETE it. a.s.a.p. It's all bull. I checked my ATM card today and all is well, nothing has been stopped and I can recieve money from my account.

Yes you are right be carefull this is a scam what started in Nigeria but it looks like its spread all over the world.I am getting spam mail about ten a day and if you believe them I must be the luckiest men on this world because I keep winning huge amounts of money.And also from Paypall warning me about my account and want me to re-enter my details,but no bank or paypall will ask for your details via a e-mail.But nevertheless many people are loosing money with those scams.

This information is not really correct.

My ATM card was blocked over Christmas despite all ATM transactions being exclusively in Thailand for 4 months. There were no other transactions on the card that are the slightest bit out of the ordinary

The woman at the other end of the phone said that Thailand is considered a suspicious location for card usage. full stop.

I pointed out that it had also been used regularly (as in the same pattern of frequency and amounts) in Thailand for the previous 18 months - because I'm staying long term in Thailand now........... Much embarrassment at their end, profuse apologies - and a promise that they would make a note on the account so it wouldn't happen again.

Careful with this one. If staying long-term ever translates into you being 'non-resident' then you will, technically, not be eligible for the Flexaccount.

Making a note on the account will count for nothing. Nationwide (and others) do not want you to tell them when you go abroad, the will rely on 'automated systems' instead - and they will not include a 'file note'.

As Thailand is deemed to be higher risk there is always a chance you will get 'blocked'. It has happened to me twice in 15 trips in just over 2 years - no great hassle, a 5 minute phone call and half an hour wait sorts it out.

The thing is people have still had accounts on 'soft hold' while operating WITHIN normal parameters. :D

Not sure what "soft hold" means, but I certainly got mine made inoperative about 6 months back. When I 'phoned N/W, the Customer Service person told me "it's because your card has been flagged as being used in Thailand recently". I pointed out that it had also been used regularly (as in the same pattern of frequency and amounts) in Thailand for the previous 18 months - because I'm staying long term in Thailand now........... Much embarrassment at their end, profuse apologies - and a promise that they would make a note on the account so it wouldn't happen again.

Interestingly, not so much as a query from them when I used the same (Debit) card to make over-the-bank-counter withdrawals of 200,000 and 400,000 baht - definitely not my normal pattern/parameters! If only............ :o

I agree about making sure they have a contact 'phone number for you - and do just ignore those e-mails.

Any details of transaction re ex. rates as against the banks on the day you transferred please Steve ?

Also what proceedures did you use to facilitate the transfer at the bank.

eg. Did you just walk in and do it via the cashiers or did you have to arrange it with the customer services, prior to transfer.

I,m shortly going to top up for my 3 month qualifying deposit prior to going for a 1 year res. visa renewal and was led to believe it could only be done via swift. ?????

I,m with the Kasikorn by the way.

Any advice on recent movements by others would also be appreciated.

marshbags :D

Edited by marshbags

Any details of transaction re ex. rates as against the banks on the day you transferred please Steve ?

eg. Did you just walk in and do it via the cashiers or did you have to arrange it with the customer services, prior to transfer.

I,m shortly going to top up for my 3 month qualifying deposit prior to going for a 1 year res. visa renewal and was led to believe it could only be done via swift. ?????

marshbags :o

Hi Marshbags - check out my posts on an earlier thread about these over-the-counter bank withdrawals:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Nationwide-F...ft-t213494.html

Should answer your questions - I hope so! Certainly there were no prior arrangements - but it must be a Debit Card and not just a Cash Card.

Steve :D

I pointed out that it had also been used regularly (as in the same pattern of frequency and amounts) in Thailand for the previous 18 months - because I'm staying long term in Thailand now........... Much embarrassment at their end, profuse apologies - and a promise that they would make a note on the account so it wouldn't happen again.

Careful with this one. If staying long-term ever translates into you being 'non-resident' then you will, technically, not be eligible for the Flexaccount.

Making a note on the account will count for nothing. Nationwide (and others) do not want you to tell them when you go abroad, the will rely on 'automated systems' instead - and they will not include a 'file note'.

As Thailand is deemed to be higher risk there is always a chance you will get 'blocked'. It has happened to me twice in 15 trips in just over 2 years - no great hassle, a 5 minute phone call and half an hour wait sorts it out.

Certainly agree with the first sentence - which I why I chose those words rather than "living" in Thailand. That said, I detect a grey area in this - basically N/W just don't seem to care what happens after you open the account which is when you must qualify as UK resident. Still, grey can get darker and turn to black - so, I agree, play safe (who knows what legislation - anti-money-laundering etc - may come out of the woodwork?). For now, they seem to want us as customers and "nuff said".

As to the second sentence, I gleaned from my conversation with them that the system had triggered an alert which was then acted on by an operator - i.e. to block the account. The Customer Service person told me that putting a note on the account record would mean that it "shouldn't" happen again for the same reason - as the operator would see the note. She also said that the operator concerned should have looked back through previous transactions. But............... well, you and I are not looking over their shoulders and we know that "stuff" happens. As you say, a quick 'phone call and it's sorted.

Yes you are right be carefull this is a scam what started in Nigeria but it looks like its spread all over the world.I am getting spam mail about ten a day and if you believe them I must be the luckiest men on this world because I keep winning huge amounts of money.And also from Paypall warning me about my account and want me to re-enter my details,but no bank or paypall will ask for your details via a e-mail.But nevertheless many people are loosing money with those scams.

Another scam that people should know about is an e-mail appearing to be from the UK Inland Revenue. The recipient is advised that he/she is due a small tax refund (say £250) and clicks a link, which then tries to get sensitive information. Apparently the website involved is a very realistic clone of the real IR website. According to the BBC News this morning, Thailand is one of the locations where these IR plishing sites have been created.

Most UK banks are now doing this as a matter of course. The best thing to do is to regsiter your mobile phone details with your bank when you try to make a first withdrawl duirng a trip they will refuse then contact you. If your details are correct and you confirm you are in Thailand they will free your account for normal ATM use.

Hi Marshbags - check out my posts on an earlier thread about these over-the-counter bank withdrawals:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Nationwide-F...ft-t213494.html

Should answer your questions - I hope so! Certainly there were no prior arrangements - but it must be a Debit Card and not just a Cash Card.

Steve :D

Thanks for the prompt reply, Steve, the url lead and the much appreciated info.

This is just the job and it will allow me last minute transfers so as to take advantage of the rates at a favourable time without the delays associated with a swift transfer and possible declines during this period.

It,s a very good thread, and you answer all the questions i,ve posted and more.

I,ve got a Flexaccount debit card so it should be o.k. in my case also.

Edited by marshbags

They recently had a notice about it (can't remember whether it was on their logon page or in an email) where they said that there's no need to tell them your travel plans but it's very important to have a phone number where you can be reached at all times in your personal details. Presumably they'd call you if they saw something strange.

Yep, i've seen the message when i log on.

I live in Saudi and go to Thailand and the UK for hols, never had a problem with my card ot the wifes.

Thanks for the prompt reply, Steve, the url lead and the much appreciated info.

This is just the job and it will allow me last minute transfers so as to take advantage of the rates at a favourable time without the delays associated with a swift transfer and possible declines during this period.

It,s a very good thread, and you answer all the questions i,ve posted and more.

I,ve got a Flexaccount debit card so it should be o.k. in my case also.

mai bpen rai krub :D

Good luck with finding "rates at a favourable time" - though at least the rate nudged back over 52 again today (according to the ThaiVisa chart). Still not the 60's let alone 70's baht range we love to recall :o. With that thought (i.e. timing) in mind........ might not be a bad idea to pre-check that your Kasikorn branch of choice is actually up to speed and will do the business when you want it. TIT etc - and it wouldn't surprise me if a given branch (particularly a smaller one with few farang customers) got "confused"........

I assume that you'll be wanting to put the funds in your Kasikorn account. In principle, any bank should be able to provide the service for any other bank's valid Debit Card and, as you saw in my previous posting, my SCB account didn't figure in my transactions - but it can't hurt for Kasikorn to know a] you're their customer and b] the UK funds are going straight into your account with them.

mai bpen rai krub :D

Good luck with finding "rates at a favourable time" - though at least the rate nudged back over 52 again today (according to the ThaiVisa chart). Still not the 60's let alone 70's baht range we love to recall :o. With that thought (i.e. timing) in mind........ might not be a bad idea to pre-check that your Kasikorn branch of choice is actually up to speed and will do the business when you want it. TIT etc - and it wouldn't surprise me if a given branch (particularly a smaller one with few farang customers) got "confused"........

I assume that you'll be wanting to put the funds in your Kasikorn account. In principle, any bank should be able to provide the service for any other bank's valid Debit Card and, as you saw in my previous posting, my SCB account didn't figure in my transactions - but it can't hurt for Kasikorn to know a] you're their customer and b] the UK funds are going straight into your account with them.

I.m due to visit the bank after the weekend so i will check it out as you suggest.

I need to transfer at the end of February so who knows, the baht may weaken at last to a more realistic level and give us all a more favourable return and in particular the pensioners who are suffering at present with the weak pound.

Edited by marshbags

ive been using my nationwide flexaccount card in thailand for over 1 year with no problems, but it was blocked last week at the worst of times.. anyway i called them and within 5 hours i could take out from the ATM again and move money around online the next day. i asked them why they blocked, they said a letter bounced back at my address in the uk, tbu there was no letter.. :o

While it is inconvenient to say the least relating to ATM suspensions.

We must think of the other side of the coin and the basic reasons for this happening.

Fraud and the possiblity of having your bank account drained off by ?????

Far better to have inconvenience and know the institutions are acting in our interests and keeping an eye on security ect.

As a customer, I personally approve of the Nationwide taking these actions until it is clarified one way or the other while keeping my account intact.

Edited by marshbags

While it is inconvenient to say the least relating to ATM suspensions.

We must think of the other side of the coin and the basic reasons for this happening.

Fraud and the possiblity of having your bank account drained off by ?????

Far better to have inconvenience and know the institutions are acting in our interests and keeping an eye on security ect.

As a customer, I personally approve of the Nationwide taking these actions until it is clarified one way or the other while keeping my account intact.

:o 100% agree. While I was irritated by their mistake in my case, I'd far rather put up with a few false alarms happening like that than for fraud/misuse to slip through unnoticed.

Had exactly the same problem with my Barclay A/c. Contacted Barclays and was transferred to their Fraud Dept. They told me that my card had been stopped due to the fact that it was being used in Thailand. I explained to them that I had been using my card for the last 4 years here with no problems. They had it flagged up as a possible fraud case. When I explaind the circumstances they had the card re-activated within 15 minutes. A bit angry at first but when I thought about it I guess they were only looking out for my best interests. Might be a good idea to let your UK bank or BS know that you are going to Thailand (for however long) might save problems later.

Can anyone supply a phone number for getting card unblocked at nationwide should it happen.

i doubt there is a special number for unblocking cards but try

these , but ive not needed to phone them for over two years !

they should work.

Nationwide B / Soc

Nationwide house

Pipers way

Swindon SN38 1NW

www.nationwide.co.uk

E Mail [email protected]

Crnt / Flex Acc Ph + 44 .. 8457 30 20 10

Crnt Accnt Enq Ph 08457 99 88 99

Crdt Crd LOST in UK Ph 08457 99 22 22

Crdt Crd LOST abroad + 44 1268 567 213

enjoy ....dave2