Buddhas

kilt

My nephew in Canada wanted a small buddha for xmas so I bought one at a tourist shop. I told the salesperson I was shipping it so she kindly wrapped it in bubble wrap. It was a small bronze buddha. I shipped it by registered mail and wrote "handicrafts" in the customs form as there were other trinkets in there as well.

The package never made it to Canada but was instead sent back to the post office and 6 weeks later I got a notice to go and retrieve it.

Apparently the post office in Bangkok x-rayed the package and discovered the buddha and sent it back.

The guy at the post office told me I was very lucky that the mail system caught it and not the customs office as I would have been in VERY big trouble.

I guess I'm naive but I learned that NO buddha images can be taken out of the country without a certificate from the government that says it is not an antique or valuable artifact. I have to do this in person in Bangkok and it takes 2 weeks.

The lady who wrapped my Buddha smiled nicely as she did it. I find it hard to believe she didn't know about this law.

What happens to all the buddhas sold to tourists at the night bazar???

I learned that NO buddha images can be taken out of the country without a certificate from the government that says it is not an antique or valuable artifact.

that law exists since ages. funnily it also comprises a clause that prohibits the import of Buddha images.

I would imagine that many of them get carried home by the tourists in their bags.

Well, carrying them home in your luggage is also illegal.

Carry-on is x-rayed as well.

Does anyone have experience with this? I would love to be able to bring home the xmas gifts but don't have 2 weeks to hang around Bangkok :o

I would imagine that many of them get carried home by the tourists in their bags.

Well, carrying them home in your luggage is also illegal.

Carry-on is x-rayed as well.

Does anyone have experience with this? I would love to be able to bring home the xmas gifts but don't have 2 weeks to hang around Bangkok :o

My son returned to UK on Wednesday with three Bhudda statues (about 18 inches) in his luggage. Seems to have gone through without any problem. I have lots of visitors on a regular basis from UK, Canada and Australia....they always take someone a Bhudda as a present and I've never heard of anything ever being said.

(Yes I do know what the export of Bhudda's rule says)

amazing thailand..................if its illegal to take statues of buddha outside thailand why are shops in tourist areas allowed to sell them?

It is not illegal to take them out, you just need some papers to do it legally. Like a little passport for your Buddha.

It has been the law for decades as Naan stated and has been explained in all decent guide books for decades also, so it is quite common knowledge.

amazing thailand..................if its illegal to take statues of buddha outside thailand why are shops in tourist areas allowed to sell them?

It is not illegal to take them out, you just need some papers to do it legally. Like a little passport for your Buddha.

It has been the law for decades as Naan stated and has been explained in all decent guide books for decades also, so it is quite common knowledge.

so another visit to samui immigration!!!!!!!!!!!11

When I had a business in Bkk, my accountants at the time told me there were 2 types of Buddha’s. Those which are made for the kingdom and cannot be taken out, and those which are made for no other purpose than for tourist souvenirs, often made from resins, wood carvings, and certain metals. They said no paperwork was required as any official is able to identify a souvenir Buddha without any problems at all.

This is not what I know, but simply what I was told.

Aitch

When I had a business in Bkk, my accountants at the time told me there were 2 types of Buddha's. Those which are made for the kingdom and cannot be taken out, and those which are made for no other purpose than for tourist souvenirs, often made from resins, wood carvings, and certain metals. They said no paperwork was required as any official is able to identify a souvenir Buddha without any problems at all.

Sounds like the usual practical approach to the silly letters of the law. The letters of the law merely mention "images of Buddha" without further specification. So according to the letter - even a plastic amulet around you neck would require a permit in case you wan't to depart with all paperworks in perfect order.

My first years here (20+) I spent some time buying buddhas and shipping them back to the states. I went to the National library with all my pictures and got permits for them. All nice and legal. Have not done it since, but I still send buddhas back with no problems. I imagine they act only if they find one

When I had a business in Bkk, my accountants at the time told me there were 2 types of Buddha’s. Those which are made for the kingdom and cannot be taken out, and those which are made for no other purpose than for tourist souvenirs, often made from resins, wood carvings, and certain metals. They said no paperwork was required as any official is able to identify a souvenir Buddha without any problems at all.

Aitch

I believe to do it absolutely correctly you should have paperwork for any Buddha saying it isn't antique etc.

However getting a certificate for quantities would be prohibitive.

I have seen them sent in bulk with some creative wording on the invoice - such as medium size male figure as wooden statue etc.

I would suspect that those dealing in any kind of decorative Buddha statue in quantity, have ways of channeling out as its not a problem when they reach their destination.

Clamping down on small worthless gifts sounds a bit overzealous.

Aitch

I believe to do it absolutely correctly you should have paperwork for any Buddha saying it isn't antique etc.

However getting a certificate for quantities would be prohibitive.

I have seen them sent in bulk with some creative wording on the invoice - such as medium size male figure as wooden statue etc.

I would suspect that those dealing in any kind of decorative Buddha statue in quantity, have ways of channeling out as its not a problem when they reach their destination.

Clamping down on small worthless gifts sounds a bit overzealous.

According to what I have heard fom the 'experts', and from what I have read, All buddha images have to have a certificate for export given by the National Library.

Edited by Ajarn

A most interesting thread for me, I was in Mae Sai last August and bought a metal Buddha about 50cms tall, the local shop said it was from Myanmar and would pose no problem taking it to Australia, sitting in departure lounge at CM airport decided to check with customs office , outcome–statue still in CM and I’m heading back in April for more travel and to see if I can bring it home this time. Any way to start the application long distance? Have digital color photos, Ajarn mention the national library does that mean I have to collect it from CH and head down to BKK? Do I need an application form and does it really take two weeks? HELP PLEASE. BJ