30 Day Entry

One of the requirements for 30 day visa exemption is that you have an onward ticket...........so if your tickets were ever checked you could be refused entry. If you are coming for longer than 30 days best to get the appropriate visa before you leave home that will negate any potential problem. Some people on this forum advocate obtaining an onward ticket and then cashing it in upon arrival here in Thailand.............personally i/d take the easy route and pay for a tourist visa. Your carrier will probably not let you board the aircraft to come here in the first place without an onward ticket as the onus is on them to return you to your point of departure if you dont gain entry...........and they would be fined.

Edited by thaiflyer1

One  of  the  requirements  for  30  day  visa  exemption  is  that  you  have  an  onward  ticket...........so  if  your  tickets  were  ever  checked  you  could  be  refused  entry. If  you  are  coming  for  longer  than  30  days  best  to  get  the  appropriate  visa  before  you  leave  home  that  will  negate  any  potential  problem. Some  people  on  this  forum  advocate  obtaining  an  onward  ticket  and  then  cashing  it  in  upon  arrival  here  in  Thailand.............personally  i/d  take  the  easy  route  and  pay  for  a  tourist  visa. Your  carrier  will  probably  not  let  you  board  the  aircraft  to  come  here  in  the  first  place  without  an  onward  ticket  as  the  onus  is  on  them  to  return  you  to  your  point  of  departure  if  you  dont  gain  entry...........and  they  would  be  fined.

100 per cent correct. Happy New Year

One  of  the  requirements  for  30  day  visa  exemption  is  that  you  have  an  onward  ticket...........so  if  your  tickets  were  ever  checked  you  could  be  refused  entry. If  you  are  coming  for  longer  than  30  days  best  to  get  the  appropriate  visa  before  you  leave  home  that  will  negate  any  potential  problem. Some  people  on  this  forum  advocate  obtaining  an  onward  ticket  and  then  cashing  it  in  upon  arrival  here  in  Thailand.............personally  i/d  take  the  easy  route  and  pay  for  a  tourist  visa. Your  carrier  will  probably  not  let  you  board  the  aircraft  to  come  here  in  the  first  place  without  an  onward  ticket  as  the  onus  is  on  them  to  return  you  to  your  point  of  departure  if  you  dont  gain  entry...........and  they  would  be  fined.

100 per cent correct. Happy New Year

Most airlines get concerned at you travelling on an apparent O/W ticket, I do this a lot usually due to nested itineraries. Noone has ever asked to see my return ticket when I explained I had one. YMMV of course but how many check in agents know the subtleties of Thai immigration, unless perhaps you are travelling from elsewhere in SE Asia.

Edited by Expat2B

YMMV of course but how many check in agents know the subtleties of Thai immigration, unless perhaps you are travelling from elsewhere in SE Asia.

Any agent with a computer has instant access and those boarding flight bound for Thailand will already know the rules. Airlines do check this quite often and I have had to personally show visa on most of my flights from USA. And most of my flights predate the 9/11 effect/suspicion of o/w tickets.

Thanks for advice, I want to travel Dubai-Bangkok one way, I only intend to stay in Thailand a few weeks then onward to Tokyo then back to Thailand again with full visa.

Will Emirates let me board a one way flight DBX-BKK?

Any advice gratefully received....

Wilson Steer

Thanks for advice, I want to travel Dubai-Bangkok one way, I only intend to stay in Thailand a few weeks then onward to Tokyo then back to Thailand again with full visa.

Have you not purchased the BKK-Tokyo ticket yet? If you have then you have nothing to worry about. If you havn't your taking a chance by trying to board in Dubai without an onward ticket...........if they do insist on an onward ticket your going to have a mad rush around Dubai airport to buy one. Why dont you get a double entry visa before leaving then your fully covered for the first and second visit when you return from Tokyo.

Edited by thaiflyer1

so if i had a multiple entry tourist visa and am traveling on a one way ticket, theoretically i should have no problems with the airport OR customs?

Glad to see this thread started because i was worried about the same thing...and of course my twit of a travel agent wont help becaues they want me to buy the round trip regardless...

so if i had a multiple entry tourist visa and am traveling on a one way ticket, theoretically i should have no problems with the airport OR customs? 

Glad to see this thread started because i was worried about the same thing...and of course my twit of a travel agent wont help becaues they want me to buy the round trip regardless...

All should be fine because you'll have visa's. Make absolute certain by checking with the Thai Embassy/Consulate and your airline.

Have you not purchased the BKK-Tokyo ticket yet? If you have then you have nothing to worry about. If you havn't your taking a chance by trying to board in Dubai without an onward ticket...........if they do insist on an onward ticket your going to have a mad rush around Dubai airport to buy one. Why dont you get a double entry visa before leaving then your fully covered for the first and second visit when you return from Tokyo.

But in the age of electronic tickets what do you have physically to show anyone? If you are travelling across 2 different carriers, then there is no way you can "prove" you have an onward ticket even if you possess one, if it has been e-ticketed.

The printed e-ticket itinerary could be knocked up by anyone with MS Word, not that I am suggesting this in any way. It just seems a bit of an anachronism that this requirement exists (and in my experience is rarely enforced), but TIT so obviously could become strict at any time.

From my personal experience and experiences of my all other friends. We are all based in Bangkok living here for many years sometime with tourist visa but most time only with 30 day on arrival. So we fly out of Bangkok as we buy our round trip here in BKK and return oneway to Bangkok up to 12 times a year. We never have flyed from UK, Australia or USA so we don't know the situation there, but in past over 15 years of my personal experiences, I have flyed return trip to BKK from Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Vienna, Zurich, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, and many cities in Asia like Singapore, KL, HK, Phrom Phen, Taipei, Tokyo, Osaka ect ect on countless diffrent airlines. Until now I still have not aware of this one way ticket problem until other forum members brought up this subject. Because for past 15 years or so when I started come in and out of Thailand and BKK became my travel base, I have never even one time bening asked about the out-bound ticket from Thailand.

So I really wonder is this a real problem? It seems like the people travel one way from Australia or US face more of this problem. I really never aware of this could be a problem until I read it on this forum.

So I really wonder is this a real problem? It seems like the people travel one way from Australia or US face more of this problem. I really never aware of this could be a problem until I read it on this forum.

I travel from the UK via Schipol (Amsterdam) with Eva Airways and every year without fail upon check-in i am asked where my onward ticket is...........i never have one as i buy my ticket in Thailand and travel back on the return leg. However once i point out i have a visa they are quite happy to let me board.

From my personal experience and experiences of my all other friends. We are all based in Bangkok living here for many years sometime with tourist visa but most time only with 30 day on arrival. So we fly out of Bangkok as we buy our round trip here in BKK and return oneway to Bangkok up to 12 times a year. We never have flyed from UK, Australia or USA so we don't know the situation there, but in past over 15 years of my personal experiences, I have flyed return trip to BKK from Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Vienna, Zurich, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, and many cities in Asia like Singapore, KL, HK, Phrom Phen, Taipei, Tokyo, Osaka ect ect on countless diffrent airlines. Until now I still have not aware of this one way ticket problem until other forum members brought up this subject. Because for past 15 years or so when I started come in and out of Thailand and BKK became my travel base, I have never even one time bening asked about the out-bound ticket from Thailand.

I've been doing the same the last 10 years. But it seems that the LOS is tightening up its act and it is within the legal frame requirements. So who knows when you run into a nasty one.

One time I was asked by a male Immo why i came so often to Thailand.

I simply smiled and GF. got a radiant smile back + 35 days. I still am wondering why the extra 5 days :o