Two Year Work Permit

I just renewed my work permit and, remembering that the new act allowing work permits up to three years is supposed to come into force sometime, I got the messenger to ask if I could renew for three years not expecting this was possible yet. To my surprise the answer came back that I could apply for two years but needed to fill in another form, the certificate of employment form, which is I think the same form the employer has to fill in for a new work permit. It asks questions about assets and the company's revenues. In the end my request for two years was rejected on the grounds that the company's revenue was too small but the official couldn't say how much was required. I did get the usual one year renewal which I had been told I would get with no problem, if the puu yai denied the two year application.

Does anyone know about this two year work permit? Is it under the new Employment of Aliens Act or the the old one. How much company revenue is required?

...Does anyone know about this two year work permit? Is it under the new Employment of Aliens Act or the the old one. How much company revenue is required?

It is in the new Act. See the link below, under Section 21 of the new Act:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a58931-.html

I don’t know about the required revenue.

--

Maestro

Thanks for the reference Maestro. Perhaps I have the dubious distinction of being one of the first people rejected for a two year work permit under the new act. It doesn't come as a surprise that the Labor Ministry has drafted some internal regulations to make it more difficult to get the two year permit without bothering to disclose them to employers and foreign workers. I suppose the logic is that they want to see a minimum amount of historic company revenue to ensure that it will have sufficient future revenue pay for the two year employment contract, whereas for one year it doesn't matter. BTW the fee requested for the two year visa was B10,000, double the B5,000 cost of the one year renewal. At least there was no problem with the one year renewal for which they didn't require the form asking about company's assets and revenues. Maybe that will come next year.

Any news yet about the requirement to pay into that charming fund to pay for the deportation of aliens? Maybe will be good news for Rohingyas!

• 2 months later...
"BTW the fee requested for the two year visa was B10,000, double the B5,000 cost of the one year renewal."

It's still 3000 baht a year in Khon Kaen.

You are right. It was B3,000 for the one year extension, not B5,000. But according to the 2008 Act they are entitled to charge B20,000 for a new work permit or an extension, both of which can be for two years. No doubt an increase is on the cards.

I just renewed my work permit and, remembering that the new act allowing work permits up to three years is supposed to come into force sometime, I got the messenger to ask if I could renew for three years not expecting this was possible yet. To my surprise the answer came back that I could apply for two years but needed to fill in another form, the certificate of employment form, which is I think the same form the employer has to fill in for a new work permit. It asks questions about assets and the company's revenues. In the end my request for two years was rejected on the grounds that the company's revenue was too small but the official couldn't say how much was required. I did get the usual one year renewal which I had been told I would get with no problem, if the puu yai denied the two year application.

Does anyone know about this two year work permit? Is it under the new Employment of Aliens Act or the the old one. How much company revenue is required?

I asked the same question - was told, income not the issue, the official needs to satisfy himself that the employer (read as "the company, I suppose), is in all likelyhood still going to be trading in 2 years time ............. !!!!!!

You just know anything left open to an individual officers personal opinion or interpretation is going to end up been a complete & utter mess when applied ..............

• 1 month later...

In my case the 2 year contract didn't have to be shown. The requirement was satisfied by the company signing the form that gave details of the expiry date and salary of the contract. I think Maizefarmer is right. The officials must be given discretion to decide whether the company will last the course for two years and they do this looking at the income of the company. On the other hand it is no problem for me to renew year by year and they don't look at the income of the company for that which means the risk of the company going bust over the same two year period is the same. Since I have PR they virtually have to give me a WP anyway and, even if they don't or the company goes bust, they can't stop me from staying here. So it is pointless.