Getting One More Year's Permission Stamped In Passport

I have an O/A Multiple entry visa, based on the usual criteria for retirement. This visa expires on the 1st April 2009, and my current 90 day reporting paperwork needs to be renewed on 23rd march.

I understand that If I leave the country and return before either my visa or my current passport stamp expire my passport will be stamped up for one more year... Is this so? ( The ever changing nature of the regulations makes it reasonable to check on this). I figure on making this trip in mid march.

As my multiple entry O/A visa will still be valid, do I need to obtain an exit or re-entry permit before leaving?

If my theory is correct, but upon my return the immigration officer at the airport only stamps my passport for 90 days, (As they did on my first entry to Thailand on my visa), Can I still go to the immigration office in Bangkok, and apply to have the "faulty" stamp amended to one for a full year? (As I had to do before I could make my first 90 day report).

If everything go's according to plan, when do I have to do my next 90 day report? Would it be 90 days after my last one, or 90 days from the date of the new stamp in my passport?

I will be flying down to Singapore and staying one night before returning the following day... I've never been to singapore, and plan a little sightseeing and some shopping.

I hope to put off doing all the paperwork required for obtaining an extension of stay for another year, basically because of the current dire exchange rate for the GBP, and in the hope that it will have become more favourable before I have to obtain another proof of income letter from the UK embassy.

If the exchange rate hasn't become more favourable by this time next year, I have the alternitive option of applying for an extension of stay based on Marriage to a Thai citizen.

I hope that some of you more informed and experienced Ex-pats will be able to answer these questions

Thanks

Murgatroyd

Leave and return before April 1st and you will get a 12 month stamp. A good idea to do a border run a couple of days before it expires.

If you leave after April 1st remember to get a Re Entry Permit or you will lose your stay.

If you leave before 25th March your 90 day report cycle will start again when you return.

There are 2 things at issue here. First is the validity of your visa. As long as your multiple entry visa is valid, you get permission to stay for 1 year each time you enter Thailand and you don't need a re-entry permit. Second is the permisison to stay, which tells you till what date you can stay in Thailand. The validity of your visa doesn't matter for that. But after your visa expires, you can't travel again to Thailand and get another permission to stay for 1 year.

So, just before the visa expires leave Thailand and re-enter again and you will get a new 1 year. After your visa is expired you will still have permisison to stay in Thailand. But if you need to leave Thailand before your permisssion is expired you lose your permission. If however you get a re-entry permit before leaving your permisison to stay in Thailand remains valid and you can stay in Thailand till your permission expires when you return.

Just check right away at the airport if you got the right stamp, don't wait till you're at home.

90 day reports are always done every 90 days since your last entry into the country.

I have an O/A Multiple entry visa, based on the usual criteria for retirement. This visa expires on the 1st April 2009, and my current 90 day reporting paperwork needs to be renewed on 23rd march.

I understand that If I leave the country and return before either my visa or my current passport stamp expire my passport will be stamped up for one more year... Is this so? ( The ever changing nature of the regulations makes it reasonable to check on this). I figure on making this trip in mid march.

As my multiple entry O/A visa will still be valid, do I need to obtain an exit or re-entry permit before leaving?

If my theory is correct, but upon my return the immigration officer at the airport only stamps my passport for 90 days, (As they did on my first entry to Thailand on my visa), Can I still go to the immigration office in Bangkok, and apply to have the "faulty" stamp amended to one for a full year? (As I had to do before I could make my first 90 day report).

If everything go's according to plan, when do I have to do my next 90 day report? Would it be 90 days after my last one, or 90 days from the date of the new stamp in my passport?

I will be flying down to Singapore and staying one night before returning the following day... I've never been to singapore, and plan a little sightseeing and some shopping.

I hope to put off doing all the paperwork required for obtaining an extension of stay for another year, basically because of the current dire exchange rate for the GBP, and in the hope that it will have become more favourable before I have to obtain another proof of income letter from the UK embassy.

If the exchange rate hasn't become more favourable by this time next year, I have the alternitive option of applying for an extension of stay based on Marriage to a Thai citizen.

I hope that some of you more informed and experienced Ex-pats will be able to answer these questions

Thanks

Murgatroyd

Murg,

I think that initial 90 day stamp was an error at immigration at the time, when you told me about it I checked the stamp when I came thro in Oct and got a 12month stamp with the OA Visa.

Hope you & the family are keeping well.

Taff