Udon Bike Week - Who's Going?

AnthonyR1

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another video of the Loei Loop Ride with some stills included and a much better soundtrack than the last one! :o

I'm having a hard time getting the best vids off the camera and onto the computer... Not sure what's going on but as soon as I get it figured out I'll post 'em for ya!

Happy Trails!

Tony

Go to Tha Bo from there, skip Pheu Rua roads are terrible. You can get back on the river to Nong Khai from there.

Another senior moment shoud read Ban Phu OOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Go to Tha Bo from there, skip Pheu Rua roads are terrible. You can get back on the river to Nong Khai from there.

Another senior moment shoud read Ban Phu OOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

LOL Ray!

Well, I'll consider myself lucky if I'm as "together" as you are when I'm your age!

Happy Trails!

Tony

Mna thats cool the wife shoots lots of phtoto off the back while travelign. Finally got her to jsut pint ans shoot instead of using the view finder she go sea sick. Yuo know photo awhile barf awhile.

Looks bumpy to me as I remember it, Kudos to your wife and yuo for editing. Really are good rides around here if yuo know how to find them. Tha Loie area is just loaded with them.

Already got in trouble at once today can I share these with others?

I was told by Jimmy the Thai dealer here in Udon that two farrangs were killed on bikes this weekend. One on the Nung Bua Lampho highway and one in Lomsak, One riding a Harley the other a BMW. True not true I don't know. Anyone have any information?

I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

Hoghead

Biker

Posted: 10 Feb 2009 12:50 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P Lop T-boned a big truck that pulled out in front of him on his Electraguilde. On sunday night he was in critical condition with internal injuries. I have not heard today

Still haven't heard about anyone on a BMW on the Nong Bua Lampho Highway the curvy section, I'm told. That one can be tricky some places it's not cantered correctly. I woudld have bet on head on in the two lane section that is really dangerous. Lot of slow trucks and cars goign fast Bike lanes with tuk tuks or farm equipement. so real dodgy passing. Well I hope this guy pulls through.

I try not to ride here at night to many things can wrong even when yuo can see.

Edited by ray23

Mna thats cool the wife shoots lots of phtoto off the back while travelign. Finally got her to jsut pint ans shoot instead of using the view finder she go sea sick. Yuo know photo awhile barf awhile.

Looks bumpy to me as I remember it, Kudos to your wife and yuo for editing. Really are good rides around here if yuo know how to find them. Tha Loie area is just loaded with them.

Already got in trouble at once today can I share these with others?

Honestly Ray except for a ~15km stretch the roads were in really good condition- The videos are bumpy simply because my wife took them with a digital camera (not a video camera) and there is no image stabilization.

Are you asking if you can share the videos? Of course!

Look forward to seeing you again at the Khon Kaen Bike Week!

Happy Trails,

Tony and Nong

I don't know P Lop but i hope he pulls through ok. happened to me just a week or so back but i think kinda lucky that i had a light bike. any way wish P lop and family the best. Allan

Edited by thaicbr

P Lop T-boned a big truck that pulled out in front of him on his Electraguilde. On sunday night he was in critical condition with internal injuries. I have not heard today

Still haven't heard about anyone on a BMW on the Nong Bua Lampho Highway the curvy section, I'm told. That one can be tricky some places it's not cantered correctly. I woudld have bet on head on in the two lane section that is really dangerous. Lot of slow trucks and cars goign fast Bike lanes with tuk tuks or farm equipement. so real dodgy passing. Well I hope this guy pulls through.

I try not to ride here at night to many things can wrong even when yuo can see.

That's terrible news. As much as I love LOOKING at Harley Davidsons, I would never ride one in Thailand where good brakes and handling are essential for avoiding the many hazards ever present on Thai roads. Now hook me up with a Buell and I'll reconsider. :o

And I agree with you that riding at night greatly increases the risks. My only serious bike 'scare' so far in Thailand happened at night. I ran over a dog. Fortunately I passed right over him and didn't go down.

Ride safe and Happy trails!

Tony

This is just <deleted> amazing, how mnay times have you had it happen to you I can't count them. Sorry for my words but this time they are accurrate.

I will try to go check on the guy tomorrow.

"Hoghead

Biker

Posted: 10 Feb 2009 14:45 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Owner of the truck is a sugar company and offered 150,000 to settle. The bike is totalled and Lop is in critical condition. Offer refused, and the Owner's response was so sue me. That is what is going to happen and you can bet the best Lawyer money can buy will be hired.

The driver apparently said that he saw Lop coming and just wanted to cut him off - it is amazing that he walked away intact after that comment.

There are witnesses to the Drivers comment so I suspect that the outcome of any lawsuit will be a foregone conclusion once it drags its way to the courts.

Lop is Udon Thani hospital "

'

My response to Hoghead. I need to cool off

I don't think I could describe just how angry I am right now. This happens all the time around Udon. As far as I'm concerned it is a total disregard for humen life. Got nothing to do with farrangs, lots of Thai riders here as well.

That was not an accident it was an intentional act. So what happened with the driver of the Sugar Cane Truck?

You guys are doing the right thing with Attorney's. I found the Udon Courts to be fair in my Law suit.

But the norm here is for the vehicles to be siezed if there is no settlement. he entire truck and load couldn't pay for a Harley not counting pain and suffering the rider his family and friends are going through right now. For what another minute on the schedule.

You know I spent 18 years working the streets as a cop and this totaly beyond my understanding. I have sit downand had conversatiosn with professional hit men. I understood what motivated them, paying off drug deal primarily, enforcers for drug deals.

This is nothing but a simple truck driver where does that mind set come from.

I don't understand that and I probably never will.

I think I will post the vidoes and get my mind off this.

Sorry Jim just now saw to a call the guy old age I guess I will do it tomorrow and tell him about the ride list.

Sorry I took this off topic. It was a great weekend and met some wonderful people this weekend.

Khon Kean is next for me.

Wow... it's so sad to hear about any fellow rider going down ... especially given the circumstances that were just described!!! I'm convinced trucks and buses are the biggest danger out there...

On our way back from Udon via Petchabun to Bangkok, our team also had two close calls ... both with trucks.

1) A 16-wheel truck stopped (parked?) while crossing the highway blocking all 3 lanes of travel .. conveniently at a sweeping corner. We were lucky to have the visibility to slow down in time. A tighter corner (or a bigger less responsive group of bikes) would have been real trouble.

2) A sugar cane/farm truck decided to make an unannounced U-Turn from the inside median across 3-lanes of oncoming traffic. He didn't stop even though a string of bikes were coming through at very high speed. The last bike in our string made contact with his mirror!!!!! It was that close. :o

Ride safe!

You know Issan riding ha quirks just as any area does, here we know about sugar cane trucks during the harvest season they run 7/24 overloaded. Drivers use Yabba to stay awake. More then likely why that driver made such a stupid statement.

No one in their right mind would say that. Heck I hit that dog no one was claiming it afraid I would ask for money. No one in that village had the money to repair my bike and pay hospital bills. I was just trying to get the dog taken care of.

I have ridden here in Issan for six years now. It's a great place to ride. I learned how to ride here and do my best to stay safe. I feel comfortable here. You couldn't pay me to ride in Bangkok, but to ohers it's a just the norm.

Issan is deceptive, roads look wide open and some of them are very rarely traveled by anyone. But thing change very fast on these country road. Thai's see bikes they assume it'a a 125 poking along. They know the Thai's will stop for them or get out of the way. Those little farm tractors will pull into a highway and never even look. Cars will pull into your lane to pass head on at you assuming you can get out of the way. You will run into elephants buffalos , cattle and dogs on the roads.

Me those country roads 80 is it. I want to ride the next day and I even I went down at 70. So no gurantees.

When I'm going to ride in a new area for a trip I research what I'm getting into, from the riders that live there, or communicate with guys who have ridden it before. Forum's are great for that. I can tell you I didn't see any crazy riding in Tony's videos. He is safe and sound at home and can go again. In my humble opinnion thats the way to do it.

I will get of my soap box now and go see if I can find the guy.

Edited by ray23

Ok I tried to locate the guy this morning no luck, pretty hard without his actual name. I went to Udon Hospital nice people. But this is the Governemnt hopstial, to give yuo an idea just how busy it is. I had to park the bike three blocks away. I couldn't even bribre a guard for a parking space. As busy as they were they really tried contacted every ward in the hosptial by phone. No one that fit was in there. They tried to call AEK hospital, but were not getting much luck with that, on the phone not uncommon.

So I went to AEK international office then didn't have anyone that fit either. Interestign they ahd gotten a call from a Danish Insurance Company trying to locate their insured. AEK didn't have him

From AEK I got a list of all the hosptials in the Northeast and Nothern region. We tried to call Nung Bua Lampho hopital but with no name could not get any information.

I will scan that list and post it in the future, but it's in Thai four page long so I can't translate it.

Udon is lot bigger then most people realize five major hospitals here.

I'm willing to go a little further in checking on him and his fanmily but without a correct name chasing shadows.

Jim Contacted Kenny today he is a sports bike rider, I will contact John in Khan kean since he takes care of that list and get him on the ride notification list. I'm afraid he would be bored with us Old Gits on the Udon list.

Although some of the guys move right along I will leave it up to him, if wants to try a ride with the Udon guys.

There is sports bike club here, I have a contact with them. But they are really picky about who they ride with. If it doesn' work out I will give it a try for him. But no guarantees. Primarily Thai riders a few farrangs. But were tlakinmg 200 plus with thse guys is a norm. Not my thing :o

My contact with them has always been positive. not saying anything bad about them. Good guys as far as I know.

Hi Ray ,

I am assuming that you mean me ??? My apologies if I got it wrong .

I am presently at work , so have limited time on the net .

Plan is this time to spend most of my time off around Pattaya .

Will be back up in Roi Et around the beginning of May .

Will make an effort to get up your way sometime after that , possibly even on to Chang Mai and districts .

Not to worried about riding with speed demons , as I enjoy having the missus in toe . Every ride is a good ride slow or fast , and it's the people that you meet along the way that makes it even more enjoyable .

Congratulate Dill and Mai (?spelling) on the baby and let them know we will catch up soon .

Cheers ,

Jim & Mon .

Quote : Ray 23 (Sorry Jim just now saw to a call the guy old age I guess I will do it tomorrow and tell him about the ride list.

Sorry I took this off topic. It was a great weekend and met some wonderful people this weekend.

Khon Kean is next for me.

Jim Contacted Kenny today he is a sports bike rider, I will contact John in Khan kean since he takes care of that list and get him on the ride notification list. I'm afraid he would be bored with us Old Gits on the Udon list.

Although some of the guys move right along I will leave it up to him, if wants to try a ride with the Udon guys.

There is sports bike club here, I have a contact with them. But they are really picky about who they ride with. If it doesn' work out I will give it a try for him. But no guarantees. Primarily Thai riders a few farrangs. But were tlakinmg 200 plus with thse guys is a norm. Not my thing

My contact with them has always been positive. not saying anything bad about them. Good guys as far as I know.)

Yep you :D Let me know wehn your back probably haev some good lies by then.

The speeds I was referring to Kenny, I know you can run at idle with us :o

I think I have found out who the guy the bike was. So I will continue on and see if I can help

Yep you :D Let me know wehn your back probably haev some good lies by then.

The speeds I was referring to Kenny, I know you can run at idle with us :o

I think I have found out who the guy the bike was. So I will continue on and see if I can help

Cheers Ray ,

Will do .

All the best for the guy that went down . Hopefully he'll recover quickly .

Jim & Mon .

Ok we found him he says he doesn't need anything we will visit him tomorrow Udon Hospital Fourth floor. We were looking for a farrang and that is why we didn't find him. He is Thai from Chaing Mai. We will check on him so doesn't feel alone in this.

Ok we found him he says he doesn't need anything we will visit him tomorrow Udon Hospital Fourth floor. We were looking for a farrang and that is why we didn't find him. He is Thai from Chaing Mai. We will check on him so doesn't feel alone in this.

Wow Ray,

You are a seriously GOOD DUDE! Not many people would put in so much time and effort to check on the well being of a total stranger. Bravo to you for your good heart. Perfect example of what the Thais call Nam Yai. :o

An honor to know you.

Warmest regards,

Tony and Nong

Thanks not that much trouble really, retired cop and five years owning private investigation company. It was magic just keep asking and sooner or later you will get an answer.

You know the one thing that stayed with me all these years finding a dead body in park and no one around that gave a dam_n.

So I will step up everytime I can.

I've gotten help when I needed it, only right to give back.