Premium Rate Call

james24

Anyone know of a pay as you go internet calling software, alternative to skype but similar type of thing which can call premium rate numbers in the Uk. Just noticed that my skype account doesn't do it anymore. Looked for some others but they also seem not to be able to???

CAT telecom.

I recently had a dispute back in the Uk and had to phone higher cost numbers and got plenty of time using a CAT card.

Uses VOIP (Voice over Internet protocol).

Edited by G54

Had a good look at www.voipdiscount.com & its a great site for contacting home for free.UK in my case but good for many country's, the thing i like compared to skype is that it uses your own mobile or home telephone to do the calling so much clearer call.

You enter the numbers online say your Thai mobile & the landline you want to call in the UK press send & your mobile rings you answer, it then dials the UK number for free, you do need to put some credit on their this lasts for 120 days as far as the freecall goes But the credit itself does not expire, so in theory you need to credit a min 30 euros a year to get your freecalls all year, but that credit can be used to contact family after your 300 minute's a week is used up, then its 1.5 pence a min or it can be used to call 0845 or UK mobiles & other countrys not on the free list the rates for these look competative also.

Its even better from the UK & most major countrys as ringing mobile's & landlines in Thailand are also free you just need to enter your home number or home mobile in place of your Thai numbers.

There is also a local UK number you get that you can give to family they ring this number adding your thai number to this. or waiting for a prompt to enter your thai number, they then only pay for a local call & do not need any internet access as is the case for my mum so she can call me anytime she likes.

You can also make free computer to computer calls just like skype without any need to had credit.

Its a pain for UK expats as its charged to your credit card in euro's & any numbers dialed that are not free say 0845 to speak to DVLA or other goverment depts are taken in euros so the tariff at the moment per minute is the same in pence as it is in cents.But as an example its 4.7 pence to call 0845 & remember your still useing your own phone.

Not to say that skype is no good it to as some advantage, one being that you can call 0800 (freephone) numbers in the UK & as many UK expats here will have seen many goverment helplines/advise lines etc you may have to contact back home for whatever reason do not have a direct number to call,from overseas, I used this myself last week to help my daughter back home, i tracked down an advise line & rang from here & sorted the matter for her,with no worrys how long the call took,again you do need to have credit on their i put £10 on a year ago & still have £3.50 balance.

I hope this is handy for you guys have a look let me know if i've mis read it, but its seems to look ideal if you want to make cheap calls from home & away the best i've seen so far.

Had a good look at www.voipdiscount.com & its a great site for contacting home for free.UK in my case but good for many country's, the thing i like compared to skype is that it uses your own mobile or home telephone to do the calling so much clearer call.

You enter the numbers online say your Thai mobile & the landline you want to call in the UK press send & your mobile rings you answer, it then dials the UK number for free, you do need to put some credit on their this lasts for 120 days as far as the freecall goes But the credit itself does not expire, so in theory you need to credit a min 30 euros a year to get your freecalls all year, but that credit can be used to contact family after your 300 minute's a week is used up, then its 1.5 pence a min or it can be used to call 0845 or UK mobiles & other countrys not on the free list the rates for these look competative also.

Its even better from the UK & most major countrys as ringing mobile's & landlines in Thailand are also free you just need to enter your home number or home mobile in place of your Thai numbers.

There is also a local UK number you get that you can give to family they ring this number adding your thai number to this. or waiting for a prompt to enter your thai number, they then only pay for a local call & do not need any internet access as is the case for my mum so she can call me anytime she likes.

You can also make free computer to computer calls just like skype without any need to had credit.

Its a pain for UK expats as its charged to your credit card in euro's & any numbers dialed that are not free say 0845 to speak to DVLA or other goverment depts are taken in euros so the tariff at the moment per minute is the same in pence as it is in cents.But as an example its 4.7 pence to call 0845 & remember your still useing your own phone.

Not to say that skype is no good it to as some advantage, one being that you can call 0800 (freephone) numbers in the UK & as many UK expats here will have seen many goverment helplines/advise lines etc you may have to contact back home for whatever reason do not have a direct number to call,from overseas, I used this myself last week to help my daughter back home, i tracked down an advise line & rang from here & sorted the matter for her,with no worrys how long the call took,again you do need to have credit on their i put £10 on a year ago & still have £3.50 balance.

I hope this is handy for you guys have a look let me know if i've mis read it, but its seems to look ideal if you want to make cheap calls from home & away the best i've seen so far.

There is just a newcommer on the market who is cheaper.

http://www.12voip.com/en/index.html

Very much the same except your free days for 10 euro's only last 90 days, voipdiscount 120 days also calls to Thailand to mobiles have a small charge,so i'll stick with voipdiscount thanks.

Another tip, you can make the free calls to Thailand numbers, mobile's inc whilst here in Thailand so you save on them 1-2 call top ups.

Edited by Mali1964

saynoto0870.com

gives the local rate for uk calls

Yes, been using this for a while now but it doesn't always have the UK landline eqivalent.

0845 on Voip are around 4 pence a min.

Also interesting to see on there that the NHS is consulting on droping the use of these 0845 numbers, as the average brit pays around 10pence a minute to listern to many options before you get the chance to actually speek to a human, i for one will be glad to see the back of these numbers in the UK.

http://www.saynoto0870.com/

Edited by Mali1964

I had to call my bank the number was 0870 it was late at night and no internet connection got the usual if you want so and so press 1 etc

After finally getting where I wanted I told them my account number, I had lost my card and that I had no money left on my phone, so get on with it.

Next day I phoned the Blackpool area code, straight through confirmed all my details in 2 minuets cost IRP 35 about B25

www.saynoto0870.com is a real money saver.

Wonder if any other country has any similar web sites

Les

Ah you see the removal people for some odd reason have an 09050 number, practically makes it imposible to call!!!

I just refuse to ever ring these scam lines as i call them I've never yet come across an important 09 number to ring they are mainly used for sex chat lines in the UK. From £1.50 a min

Very much the same except your free days for 10 euro's only last 90 days, voipdiscount 120 days also calls to Thailand to mobiles have a small charge,so i'll stick with voipdiscount thanks.

Another tip, you can make the free calls to Thailand numbers, mobile's inc whilst here in Thailand so you save on them 1-2 call top ups.

Indeed Voipcheap WAS 120 day's now its also 90 day's

Voipcheap free call to land line in Thailand

12Voip free calls to land line in Thailand

Voipcheap rate to mobile in Thailand 0.011 EURO exclude VAT

12Voip rate to mobile in Thailand 0.005 Euro exclude VAT

So 12Voip is much cheaper, because mobile phone calls to Thailand are less than half price compared with Voipcheap.

just compare the rates

http://www.12voip.com/en/calling-rates.html

http://www.voipcheap.co.uk/en/rates.html

So 12Voip is much cheaper, because mobile phone calls to Thailand are less than half price compared with Voipcheap.

just compare the rates

I think you may of misread my post, I've never heard of voipcheap the company I'm talking of is voipdiscount with 120 days free calls to Thailand inc mobiles same for calling US, but UK is free only to landlines & is a little more expensive than 12voip to ring UK mobiles.

The link again.

http://www.voipdiscount.com/en/

How are thses services, does it have an echo? I am currently using a calling card at a rate of .2C per minute on my iphone, as I have no landline here in the US.

Yes sometimes you can get an echo my daughter in the UK said there was an echo when I rang here last night, I rang the Tax office in the UK with a query last week the guy asked why there was this echo, I told him I'm calling from Thailand via the net & he was fine with that & gave me the help I needed,but in both these calls my end was great reception but I have had it echo at my end too so this is a slight drawback.

If you use the phone to phone option there is a connection charge of 5cents (euro) but the service rings your phone first then connects you to the number you were ringing, the call is then free & i find there is no echo that way, also you are free to walk away from your laptop.

You are lucky in the US as you can ring US mobile's for free (16pence in UK), also it includes your own mobile when using phone to phone I think its great I chatted away with my newly pregnant daughter for an hour last night & she said the echo faded away after a while.

Give it a try there's a free option to try on the home page using the phone 2 phone idea, or add 10 euro +VAT for 120 freedays, also if you use your free 300 mins a week or finish your free days its still only 1 cents a min to call Thailand.

just compare the rates

I think you may of misread my post, I've never heard of voipcheap the company I'm talking of is voipdiscount with 120 days free calls to Thailand inc mobiles same for calling US, but UK is free only to landlines & is a little more expensive than 12voip to ring UK mobiles.

The link again.

Indeed I misread your post. I went to the website of voipdiscount and I noticed( in small print ofcourse) that the free calls are limited to 300 minutes(5 hours) a week, after that the normal rate will be charged. And its also limited to one IP adress. So in some ways its cheaper because you have free phone to mobiles, but the free calls are limited.

Do you have a wife or girl friend who talk less than 5 hours a week on the phone :o ; mine doesn't.

BTW did you know that Voipdiscount, Voipcheap and 12Voip are one and the same company based in Switserland. I do wonder why they have 3 different companies and 3 different rates.

But anyhow thanks for the info. I wiil make some calculations over the weekend to look for the best buy.

just compare the rates

The link again.

Indeed I misread your post. I went to the website of voipdiscount and I noticed( in small print ofcourse) that the free calls are limited to 300 minutes(5 hours) a week, after that the normal rate will be charged. And its also limited to one IP adress. So in some ways its cheaper because you have free phone to mobiles, but the free calls are limited.

Do you have a wife or girl friend who talk less than 5 hours a week on the phone :D ; mine doesn't.

BTW did you know that Voipdiscount, Voipcheap and 12Voip are one and the same company based in Switserland. I do wonder why they have 3 different companies and 3 different rates.

But anyhow thanks for the info. I wiil make some calculations over the weekend to look for the best buy.

This is were Thai Visa is worth its wait in gold sharing information to save money & time in these difficult time's.

The IP thing i did notice but since I signed up my Daughter back in the UK is sharing the site with me with my log on details & has no problems great for her for calling UK landlines free & for calling Dad of course, 300 mins is fine whilst I'm still here in Thailand but when i nip home i may need a few extra mins, the wife won't go near the computer she is just not interested in it so its my Daughter i need to keep an eye on lol.

I will take a fresh look at your 2 sites again as i thought they had the same fair use policy of 300 mins a week. Note the rate after 300 mins is still only 0.009 euro cents so well under a penny a minute,I save a fortune on cat calls from our landline & 1 2 call of course.

Have a look at the long post i did further up the page, see what you think there's still a good use for skype as it lets you call freephone numbers in the UK for free,that's useful back in the UK if you only have a mobile as networks charge around 16pence a min to call freephone numbers :o

Thanx for your info very interesting Shaun

nonoh.net is similar to several others like voipcheap, etc.

Several destinations are FREE! But, you need to have about 10EUR in your account which is valid for about 4 months and no charge for FREE countries and little charge for other countries.

I am using their service and it is quite good.

Here are some rates:

United Kingdom (Landline) SuperDeal!**FREE*

United Kingdom (Mobile) SuperDeal!**0.080

United Kingdom [0845 Rate] 0.040

United Kingdom [national Rate] 0.100

United Kingdom [personal] 0.180

United States (Landline & Mobile) SuperDeal!**FREE*

Do you have a wife or girl friend who talk less than 5 hours a week on the phone :o ; mine doesn't.

Just had a quick look at 12voip the same 300 min rules apply.

<h2 id="syst">12Voip rules^ top</h2> Yes we do offer a FREE service, but to keep it this way there are some rules;

Before you buy credit we allow you to test our service to various popular destinations for FREE.

There is one limitation;

- you can call a maximum of 60 minutes.

After having bought your credit you can call our FREE destinations for 3 months!

To avoid abuse we set the rules:

- you can call up to 300 minutes per week to a FREE destination.

- when you run out of FREE days (the 4 months) the normal rate will be charged for these destinations. But of course you can buy new credit and you will get another 3 months of FREE calling.

- of course you can use your credit to call destinations which are not FREE, but still very cheap

Several destinations are FREE! But, you need to have about 10EUR in your account which is valid for about 4 months and no charge for FREE countries and little charge for other countries.

Here are some rates:

This is the best rate i've seen for UK mobiles so far anybody know of any voip's giving them for free.

Here are some rates:

Was you aware that Nonoh only gives you 200 free minutes a week for 120 days then the normal rates apply Voip services give 300 minutes for 120 days.

Nonoh rates after your free 200 minutes

United Kingdom (Landline) SuperDeal!**2.857 3.429

Voipdiscount Rates after your free 300 minutes.

Thailand (Landline & Mobile) SuperDeal!**0.009 0.011 United Kingdom (Landline) SuperDeal!**0.009 0.011 United States (Landline & Mobile) SuperDeal!**0.009 0.011

So a big difference there.