Poy Sang Long In Chiang Mai Or Elsewhere In The North

sabaijai

Hey SabaiJai. Only half surprised that no responses for this. I'm thinking you're referring to the festivals that occur in the dry season to raise funds for the Wat before the rains come. Not sure if I am correct, though. My understanding - if I be correct - is that these all fall under the general category of 'Boi Luang' for 'big opening' or 'great letting loose' - a big festival. I wish I could spell it in Thai (not so good in that dept.). Is that what you were looking into ? If not, can you be more specific ? Many of the CM readers will likely have info as b4 any boi luang, as the funds envelopes get passed out at work n everywhere to friends n wives, and so it would be easy to get a pulse on where and when. Also, could you spell your concept in Thai for us? I'd like to learn/ see the proper spelling. Danke.

Does anyone know specific dates for any upcoming Poy Sang Long festivals in the north? I know most will take place in March and April, looking for which dates in which temples. Thanks in advance.

Our Tai Yai maid just said it would be 3-5 April at the Tai Yai/Burmese Wat Pa Pao (northeast corner of the moat). And she added that it will be a different date other places, but wasn't sure about what dates where.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bump an old thread but it seems a good starting point as it has relevant info. Does anyone know for certain the dates of this year's festival and parade at Wat Pao Pao? I've heard conflicting answers asking Shan friends :rolleyes:

I think it's 4-6 April with the parade on Monday From Thapae gate to Wat Pao Pao @ 09:00- can anyone confirm this for definite?

Last week was Poy Sang Long at Wat Ku Tao - There are some great photos on this blog: Slideshow - Poy Sang Long . If you don't know, Poy Sang Long is a Shan or Tai Yai festival to celebrate the ordination of novice monks into the temple. Held over three days the young boys to be ordained are dressed in lavish costumes, jewelry and make up then paraded around the streets and the Wat on the shoulders of older relatives.

As a final note, people in the Shan state have suffered badly from last week's earthquake and relief efforts have been eclipsed by what is going on in Japan. If you get chance to go along, I'm sure there will be opportunities to show your support for the earthquake victims :wai: This news site Shan Herald Agency for News (S.H.A.N) has more stories about the quake which don't seem to have reached the western media.

Sorry to bump an old thread but it seems a good starting point as it has relevant info. Does anyone know for certain the dates of this year's festival and parade at Wat Pao Pao? I've heard conflicting answers asking Shan friends :rolleyes:

I think it's 4-6 April with the parade on Monday From Thapae gate to Wat Pao Pao @ 09:00- can anyone confirm this for definite?

Last week was Poy Sang Long at Wat Ku Tao - There are some great photos on this blog: Slideshow - Poy Sang Long . If you don't know, Poy Sang Long is a Shan or Tai Yai festival to celebrate the ordination of novice monks into the temple. Held over three days the young boys to be ordained are dressed in lavish costumes, jewelry and make up then paraded around the streets and the Wat on the shoulders of older relatives.

As a final note, people in the Shan state have suffered badly from last week's earthquake and relief efforts have been eclipsed by what is going on in Japan. If you get chance to go along, I'm sure there will be opportunities to show your support for the earthquake victims :wai: This news site Shan Herald Agency for News (S.H.A.N) has more stories about the quake which don't seem to have reached the western media.

I witnessed several noisy Poy Sang Long processions in Tackelik last Friday/Saturday (25-26 Mar) so maybe it has passed for this year already?

I witnessed several noisy Poy Sang Long processions in Tackelik last Friday/Saturday (25-26 Mar) so maybe it has passed for this year already?

Thanks, but I'm sure Wat Pao Pao's festival is in the coming days - just not sure exactly when the parade is or accurate times.

They stagger the dates at various temples. We were at one near Fang last Friday, then also at Wat Ku Tao here last weekend.

The Festivals that have just passed are called Boi or Poi? Luang and are similar to what Paagai describes but are celebrated by Thais. The boys wear knights helmets and are paraded around on ponies. The entire moobaan hosts the festival and people from other Wats and/or moobaans show up at their doors any time of day or night to eat and drink. There was one that went on for 5 days and nights in a moobaan behind me in Sansai. I went one night and it was pretty crazy. So much whiskey was consumed that you could smell it in the air - seriously. It was fun though I must admit.

Edited by elektrified

The Festivals that have just passed are called Boi or Poi? Luang and are similar to what Paagai describes but are celebrated by Thais. The boys wear knights helmets and are paraded around on ponies. The entire moobaan hosts the festival and people from other Wats and/or moobaans show up at their doors any time of day or night to eat and drink. There was one that went on for 5 days and nights in a moobaan behind me in Sansai. I went one night and it was pretty crazy. So much whiskey was consumed that you could smell it in the air - seriously. It was fun though I must admit.

Probably similar, through the Shan have their own version. "Poi Sang Long" in Tai Yai language means something like "Festival of Crystal Son", or "Festival of little princes". So called because all the boys are dressed up as little princes to follow in the tradition of the lord Bhudda, who was a prince before setting on his path to enlightenment. They are also decked out in jewelry and make up. Rather than ponies the boys are transported everywhere on the shoulders of older male relatives, who are usually dancing to Shan Cymbal and drum music.