Why Do You Stay In Thailand?

henryalleman

But if somebody do not like Thailand, and criticise always, aren't there 100 more countries they can go??????????????????? How about Africa???

:o

if you are a retired plumber sitting on a bar stool with a girl your daughter-back-home's age, then of course there is nothing to complain about. When the PAD leader gets on stage and says "Oh, Thailand no can democracy. Other country no understand Thailand. So Thailand no same other country. Democracy cannot. Maybe later"... you can just nod your head and say "Yes. Yes. Yes. I love Thailand" and when you see a police officer oblivious to some street children cleaning car windows at a dangerous intersection, you can say "Thailand no same USA" or whatever makes sense in your tiny little brain. And when you see International High School students walking next to cars because there is no sidewalk on the Sukhumwit Soi, you can say "Thailand no same USA. Sidewalk no need. Thai people very thin and Thai driver very good".

But some of us are actually considering raising children here. We are wondering about their future. We are wondering about certain aspects of Thai society and how that will affect our children. We are wondering about investing tens of millions of baht into the country.

There are many things good here and many things bad here.... I guess my point is that if you can't see the bad, you are either

1. Blind

2. Seeing the bad and choosing to just ignore it.

Now the interesting thing is, if you can just ignore the bad, then why does people talking about the bad on this forum bother you so deeply????

I read your long post, I am sure you are in the wrong country if you stay in TH. If in your home land is "democracy", why ae you not there? When you have problems with streets having no sidewalk and lots ot other things, I really do not get it why you do not live in a country with democracy and sidewalks??? I would raise children the in a democracy with wide sidewalks...

Great I will let all my Thai friends know that they are in the wrong country, as they share my complaints. Maybe I can give you their phone number and you can call and tell them yourself to get out of Thailand. Ok?

Good point!!!

But that doesn't explain why you do not live in a country which is more comfortable to you (one has a more western kind of government system and one which usually has sidewalks etc.).

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stay here because I am more content here than back in the West, despite having a few grumbles. Then again, I had grumbles back 'home'.

It is human nature to grumble.

Talking of grumbling.........

Hi Samuibeachcomber - yes humour always helps:)

But for all it's faults, I enjoy living in Thailand. I did consider returning to the UK, but job opportunities are few and far between, and the cold weather would make problems for my health again.

Thaland offers me a warm climate, tasty food, cheap living and good friends. I'm reasonably happy here and ever-optimistic :o

Simon

But if somebody do not like Thailand, and criticise always, aren't there 100 more countries they can go??????????????????? How about Africa???

if you are a retired plumber sitting on a bar stool with a girl your daughter-back-home's age, then of course there is nothing to complain about. When the PAD leader gets on stage and says "Oh, Thailand no can democracy. Other country no understand Thailand. So Thailand no same other country. Democracy cannot. Maybe later"... you can just nod your head and say "Yes. Yes. Yes. I love Thailand" and when you see a police officer oblivious to some street children cleaning car windows at a dangerous intersection, you can say "Thailand no same USA" or whatever makes sense in your tiny little brain. And when you see International High School students walking next to cars because there is no sidewalk on the Sukhumwit Soi, you can say "Thailand no same USA. Sidewalk no need. Thai people very thin and Thai driver very good".

But some of us are actually considering raising children here. We are wondering about their future. We are wondering about certain aspects of Thai society and how that will affect our children. We are wondering about investing tens of millions of baht into the country.

There are many things good here and many things bad here.... I guess my point is that if you can't see the bad, you are either

1. Blind

Now the interesting thing is, if you can just ignore the bad, then why does people talking about the bad on this forum bother you so deeply????

If you read many of my previous topics and comments you would realise that I'm in not in denial of the problems in Thailand.

And in my OP I explained very open why I moved to Thailand. But what I don't understand is why people like you like to stay in Thailand despite all your negative comments.

And that's what I like to find out. I not even suggest that you should move out if you are not happy over here.

Is it because you have no other options, or you can for some reason not go back to your home country, is it because you invest your capital in some business and can't sell it without loosing your money, are the grapes become sour and your dreams are shattered but can not leave because you don't like to loose face?

And that's the problem with all the people who have only negative comments, and seems to dislike the country. They never give a reason why they still staying over here.

And that's is just what I want to know why they still living here. That's all.

Not a difficult answer at all, but I never get an answer.

Henry, I have read some posts of you and I really think that, if you stay in T, sooner or later you will be one of them.

I don't know, only the future can tell. Keep on reading and please give me a warning on time :o

But till know I think I still have an realistic view about the country. Not in denial for the problems, and certainly not for the blatant social injustice. But IMHO I never wrote any complaint how I was cheated or mistreated by the government, people, wife, family, girlfriends, Mia Noi, vendors, other shopkeepers in Thailand. Or complained that foreigners in general are disliked by the public or cheated by them.

Thailand is no country for young (farang) men

(Unless they are tourists, drawn like moths to the neon flame.)

Thailand as a permanent or semi-permanent destination- for a retiree, sure, it makes some sense. For those under 50, it is tantamount to checking out of life.

Holy Toledo batman! Did he just say Thailand was not for young men?

I wish I would have known about thailand when i was in University. Me and my Mates would have spent summer vacation or at least xmas vacation here instead of Florida or Aspen. :D

:D:o:D

Henry, I have read some posts of you and I really think that, if you stay in T, sooner or later you will be one of them.

I don't know, only the future can tell. Keep on reading and please give me a warning on time :o

But till know I think I still have an realistic view about the country. Not in denial for the problems, and certainly not for the blatant social injustice. But IMHO I never wrote any complaint how I was cheated or mistreated by the government,

Then you probably aren't in business. You don't have to deal with requests for money from the gov officials and police every month. Then throw in the unrealistic requests from the revenue department and their "we don't care about logical explanations" attitude.

people, wife, girlfriends, Mia Noi,

Do you have one ? When i was in the USA many of my friends complained about their wives/gfs so it would only be normal for many to complain about them here.

family,

Same goes for inlaws.

vendors, other shopkeepers in Thailand. Or complained that foreigners in general are disliked by the public or cheated by them.

It is better for people to have an outlet for their anger/complaints/whatever than for them to keep it bottled up inside. I was under the impression that writing things down is good therapy for people what better place to write things down than in an anonymous forum?? My suggestion for those that do not like the whiners is to not read their posts. use the hide posts function and just skip the quoted parts of the people you do not want to read. if it is a thread complaining about something then don't read it. i skip entire threads i don't want to read about all the time. i for one like living in thailand and complain every once in a while to get things off of my chest. It is better than letting the anger at the government officials unreasonable requests or my workers strange way of doing things, build to the point that i blow up at the next person that irks me or burying myself in a bottle.

i gotta stop reading this website. i don't associate with so many farang in real life just based off of their personal appearance and dress, then I come online and end up having one of these dolts tell me that I should leave the country if I am upset that its not a democracy... Seriously?... I hope you are just having a larf at my expense, as its just depressing to think a human being could be that ignorant.

yes, seriously as you would do yourself a favour. getting upset that Thailand is not a democracy is like getting upset because the moon is waxing and waning = wasted mental energy.

1. Blind

If you read many of my previous topics and comments you would realise that I'm in not in denial of the problems in Thailand.

And in my OP I explained very open why I moved to Thailand. But what I don't understand is why people like you like to stay in Thailand despite all your negative comments.

And that's what I like to find out. I not even suggest that you should move out if you are not happy over here.

Is it because you have no other options, or you can for some reason not go back to your home country, is it because you invest your capital in some business and can't sell it without loosing your money, are the grapes become sour and your dreams are shattered but can not leave because you don't like to loose face?

And that's the problem with all the people who have only negative comments, and seems to dislike the country. They never give a reason why they still staying over here.

And that's is just what I want to know why they still living here. That's all.

Not a difficult answer at all, but I never get an answer.

Your comments contradict each other. On one hand you are saying you see the bad here, then you are asking me why I don't leave if I think its bad when the post you are quoting has me saying "There are many things good here". I don't intend to be mean, but at this point in the conversation I just have to assume that you are a complete idiot.

i gotta stop reading this website. i don't associate with so many farang in real life just based off of their personal appearance and dress, then I come online and end up having one of these dolts tell me that I should leave the country if I am upset that its not a democracy... Seriously?... I hope you are just having a larf at my expense, as its just depressing to think a human being could be that ignorant.

yes, seriously as you would do yourself a favour. getting upset that Thailand is not a democracy is like getting upset because the moon is waxing and waning = wasted mental energy.

Perhaps. I am just surprised that with all the little luek kruengs running around that there are not more farang concerned with these type of aspects of living in a developing nation. But then again, I suppose many people really don't think that far, or are that concerned with providing the best living enviroment for their children.

My dilmea living here is essentially that its great for a single man, but as for someone raising a family, it leaves a lot to be desired. Granted, I have much higher living standards than the majority of this forum. I have to ask myself, if my children go to international schools here, will it be harder for them to get into an Ivey League Western University?

These are just opinions. There is no emotional investment in them. I am calling it as I see it, yet this will drive others on this forum mad and they will tell me to leave Thailand. <deleted>? There are undeniably some pyschological issues at play here.

the ones that "hate" it here obviously hate where they came from more

just because people criticize Thailand does not mean they hate it here. that is your own insinuation, a manifestation of some psychological issue i would imagine.

sorry didnt realized you were a physiologist.........

never said the people that criticize it hate it, although that might be the case in some instances

what i was referring to were people that hate it, and still stay here..........glad you read it carefully......hope you dont do the same with your patients

"the ones that "hate" it here obviously hate where they came from more"

have a nice day

Edited by Lost in LOS

Plain and simple; I choose to live in a pissant developing third world country like the glorious "Land 'O Thai", surrounded by the ever smiling, yet diminutive inhabitants here, instead of living in a first world country like the US.

This topic comes up more and more, but like the illustrious poster "Maigo6" mentioned, all the possible topics one could care to discuss have pretty much been beaten to death only to resurrect themselves in yet another form. So without further adieu:

When people ask how I like living here I reply without fail, "I hate living in thailand, but I would hate living in America more". That's a good conversation stopper, and always good for an awkward moment with thais and foreigners alike. The other one that gets people is that I say, "I tolerate the thais here because it is their country."

As one might glean from my post; I am not in any way shape or form, endeared to, enamored by, nor enchanted with this country, these people, or the generations of brainwashing pawned off as alleged 'thai culture'. I live here because I choose to, and in many respects, it's no better or worse than the other developing third world countries I have lived in throughout my life.

This country is what it is, and as foreigners have no say in its operation, I just think it's for the thais to figure things out on their own. I follow their oxymoronic rules, simply because they are their rules. I treat people as I want to be treated, and am happy for the most part to be left alone. It works well for both the thais and myself. I like to think of it as a "contemptuously tolerant yet symbiotic relationship".

Unfortunately for the thais as well as some of the foreign contingent; I don't buy into the mindset of some rose colored glasses, color-coordinated shirt and rubber bracelet wearing, mindless foreign sock puppet who says we are guests here, or we need to 'embrace' thai culture. I am most definitely not a frickin' guest because, I pay my own way, just as I have in every country I've lived in, even my own country the US, and you already know what I think about "thai culture". ..

I realize I am free to leave (at any time); yet I choose to stay, deal with it.

I do wonder why many of the complainers, who against better judgement still like to stay in Thailand.

A few of their complaints.

Expensive, cheating women, border runs, idiot people, idiot government, foreigner unfriendly, the list is almost endlessly.

Why many of them buried themselves in some remote Island village or in Pattaya or some touristic place overwhelmed by tourists.

For myself I used to live in an 24/7 vibrant international metropolitan town, with all the possibilities of London, New York or Paris, like shopping, dining out and a rich cultural life who is hardly to match even in Bangkok. And yes all kind of female relationships is also not an problem and is also widely available.There are a lot of mature attractive and available women over here for people my age with no hassles at all.

I live an comfortable life and have no problems(financially or legally) what so ever back home, and I can benefit from an excellent health care and social services of all kind for the senior citizens, what is not provided in Thailand.

Therefore its an enigma why some people moving to Thailand.

So why I will move to Thailand.

1- I'm a retiree and have no children or family,and my wife (senior citizen also) like to spend the winter or her life next to her family that she did miss for more than 30 years. And whom am I to deny her that little happiness.

2-Despite the strong baht, life is still less expensive than back home and I will have an indexed pension that meet the wage of an Thai higher management wage. So I can have just that little bit extra luxury more than back home.

3- I have no Thai family who i have to support (very important reason, because I don't like to be an walking ATM).

4- I'm still in good health and my wife give me my personal freedom :o

5- I have no urge to go to Pattaya (never been there) or other tourist places

6- I can stay in Bangkok, can not imaging staying in some village in Isan or up North.

7- Don't need to hang around and listen to whining and complaining expats in some beer bar, or to there fantasy stories about how well off the are and about there cheating Thai girlfriends.

8- I'm coming already 30 years to the country, so I know the loopholes and dangers. I'm coming with an realistic view and false expectations and prepared myself for more than 10 years before making the decision.

I open up, and tell frankly about my personal reasons for staying in LOS.

So come on guys what are your real reasons why you stay in Thailand, lets call a spade a spade and tell us frankly.

I would ask you kindly to stay on the topic, because otherwise it will become the same boring whining and complaining comments as usual and that will benefit nobody.

because my after tax salary/bonuses in thailand,provident scheme,fringe benefits etc.. , subsidized housing in bangkok and therefore the ability to rent out a house back in NZL, coupled with the cheap cost of living in thailand all add up to the simple fact that I can save more money than i could the west and hence retire sooner. otherwise, i would not live here, i'd just come once in a while for holidays.

"I hate living in thailand, but I would hate living in America more"

Excellent! I actually like living in Thailand but who says you have to love or like it to have a rational reason to choose to live here?

Edited by Jingthing

Now and then I think to myself what am I doing here?

Then something always comes along to surprise me, stupid little things like a complete stranger inviting me to share their meal with them, 10 people turning up in a pickup on the off chance I'll want to go out to the local reservoir with them, all sorts of things. Then I realise that Thailand still has the capacity to surprise me. The UK has no such capacity.

Sure it's getting more expensive, but it's still far greater value for money than the UK for most things (note I say most). The visa situation is a pain, but I can deal with it. The people can be a bit stupid, but look around you, are you telling me the local farang population isn't more stupid overall? Farangs get charged more than locals definately, so be wise, send the misses in alone to make major purchases. It can all be worked around.

So I guess the simple answer to why I still stay in Thailand is that I like it, not all of it, but more of it than just about anywhere else I have lived (and I've lived in a fair few countries).

I totally agree with you Mac. Thailand still provides the occasional surprise for me, and the charms still stands up after nearly five years. To be sure there are some difficulties, but there is almost always a work around.

When people ask how I like living here I reply without fail, "I hate living in thailand, but I would hate living in America more". That's a good conversation stopper, and always good for an awkward moment with thais and foreigners alike. The other one that gets people is that I say, "I tolerate the thais here because it is their country."

I don't know how to say this nicely, but you really do sound like a dick. :o

I don't know how to say this nicely, but you really do sound like a dick. :D

Ulysses G, couldnt have put it better myself!! :o

user-offline.pngdave9988

your comments contradict each other. On one hand you are saying you see the bad here, then you are asking me why I don't leave if I think its bad when the post you are quoting has me saying "There are many things good here". I don't intend to be mean, but at this point in the conversation I just have to assume that you are a complete idiot.

Thanks for the name calling. :o

But you took my words out of content.

Because I wrote;

But what I don't understand is why people like you like to stay in Thailand despite all your negative comments.

So in no way at all I was making a suggestion that you should leave the country. I was only asking why you still LIKE to stay here.

And on that question I still waiting to be answered.

As for the Social injustice , I do my best to correct it on my own modest personal level. But than again this was not the meaning of the OP. I advise that you read it again. If you do so, you will know that it was about the attitude of the Thai society towards expatriates

wolfmanjack-m28723.htmlwolfmanjack

Then you probably aren't in business.

Correct, as I wrote in my OP, I'm a retiree.

Do you have one ? When i was in the USA many of my friends complained about their wives/gfs so it would only be normal for many to complain about them here.

Yes, I have the same wife for more than 30 years, who stood by my side in hardship and fortune.

IMHO people who comment and complain their wife's on a public forum can't be called gentlemen.

For the same reasons I can't reply about girlfriends or Mia Noi's

Same goes for inlaws.

Some people have luck with them others may not. I guess I'm one of the very lucky ones.

And I also don't know yet why you still like to stay in Thailand., despite everything.

I don't fully know why I like living in Thailand. I know there are times I miss things back home - the efficiency, the naturalness and openness of the folks back there, the way they value fairness and justice. I miss my children and grandchildren and they way they're brought up to be honest and optimistic - but despite that I'm still quite happy here and my wife likes it. A contented wife is a blessing; a discontented one is a bane.

I could go home and lead a comfortable life in retirement, but it would be boring. I'm never bored in Bangkok. And although what you see isn't always what you get, I generally find the people here more courteous and far less cantankerous than they are in Oz. Bangkok is fine; Thailand is fine - whatever the reason. Why leave?

i prefer Thailand's moderate and cool weather to Germany's year round tropical heat. what i enjoy too is the local infrastructure, e.g. lightning fast internet connection, the discipline which prevails in traffic (no rowdies speeding like on german autobahns), the integrity of government officials is heartwarming and refreshing when compared to the widespread corruption in Europe :o

:D hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahaha love it, spot on.