Those Who Dislike Backpackers

keestha

I've got nothing against traveling on a budget...nor do I believe the less than exemplary comments made toward "backpackers" are aimed at budget conscious travelers.

I think most are referring to the hippie throwbacks who are as you mentioned scruffy and odoriferous. The ones who allow their hair to mat into filthy dreadlocks. The ones that ignore Thai cultural differences and show up at offices or temples in shorts and bikini tops. The ones that dress as if they have just returned from an episode of "Survivor Jungle Thailand"...though dressing this way is frowned upon by Thai people. Or perhaps the ones you see haggling over 10 baht with the vendor who makes a couple dollars a day profit. Or maybe the annoying as hel_l "guru's" who say "Right on" every sentence, and claim to fix auras or some crap.

I used to backpack. I traveled the world on a budget, but I always respected the culture of the places I traveled. Traveling on a low budget inevitably puts you in the company of some filthy hippie types. I lived side by side with them on the beaches of Hawaii....and their hippie shit got old real fast..."borrowing" money...trying to get on welfare (to vacation longer) ......<deleted> people trying to sell "rare" sea shells............the list goes on and on.

I traveled to Pai on a week long trip with a family of Thai people. They looked out the windows of our van as if driving through a zoo. Khao San Road is the same.

They are an embarrassment.

There are so many different types of backpackers. You described only a specific tribe.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of those that dislike backpackers never got the chance to do it.

I can tell you, the best time of my life was hitchhiking on the highways with a sleeping bag around my shoulder when I was young. A feeling of freedom, indescribable.

Edited by Birdman

most backpackers are just on extended holidays when after say 1 year they go back to their same lives in the west etc, and their backpacking holiday becomes just another boring tale and that holiday just becomes another credit card expense for their parents

i more interested in meeting people who just go for it and travel and work and see what life brings to the table rather than the mundane backpacker production line that is thailand australia and back home

most backpackers are just on extended holidays when after say 1 year they go back to their same lives in the west etc, and their backpacking holiday becomes just another boring tale and that holiday just becomes another credit card expense for their parents

i more interested in meeting people who just go for it and travel and work and see what life brings to the table rather than the mundane backpacker production line that is thailand australia and back home

i think the ones your interested in are a rare breed today.Back packers now are guided by lonely planet,cell phones,lap tops and the internet(a must have)using skype to phone home to mum and dad daily.there is no adventure for these types,its all been planned out long before they left home.

i think the ones your interested in are a rare breed today.Back packers now are guided by lonely planet,cell phones,lap tops and the internet(a must have)using skype to phone home to mum and dad daily.there is no adventure for these types,its all been planned out long before they left home.

yes, so many have their long holiday mapped out, it should be a time of discovery but instead its a time of just following the mass crowds

Or does it bug you that in the beerbars the ladies give a lot of attention to the handsome young man backpacker whilst neglecting you old pot bellied geezer though you have a fat wallet to spend on ladydrinks and so on?

Does that really happen? I mean, are fat wallets and ladydrinks no longer in demand? :D

Do I need buy a backpacker now? :o

Do daypacks count? :D

No problem for me with backpackers, however often wonder why so many older backpackers(saw a few that look to be 55 or older) these days? I WONDER!! :o

reliving their youth or maybe just carrying on the way they enjoy travelling.IMO its the best way to go and see places and meet interesting people.

No problem for me with backpackers, however often wonder why so many older backpackers(saw a few that look to be 55 or older) these days? I WONDER!! :D

reliving their youth or maybe just carrying on the way they enjoy travelling.IMO its the best way to go and see places and meet interesting people.

Makes sense to me. Good point samuibeachcomber. Thank! :o

No problem for me with backpackers, however often wonder why so many older backpackers(saw a few that look to be 55 or older) these days? I WONDER!! :o

Oh My God!!! 55 Years old !! And still travelling !!

I'll tell you a story, many years ago I was in a Gaijin house in Tokyo ( Farang cheap lodgings ), In walks this English guy who must have been 47 - 48, 95% of the people there were in their 20's and from various countries.

After a few looks and a quick touch of the dreadlocks from the resident Farangs ( Gaijins ), this guy began to talk, then he played Guitar, then he cooked an amazing meal for many people, then he blew peple away with his knowledge and charisma...... and then..........

He ended up sleeping with a Swedish girl that every young buck in that Gaijin house wanted but could never get, they even left Japan together to go to India.

Don't write the older guys off chaps, many have a wealth of experience, that money and a lonely planet book, cannot buy.

No problem for me with backpackers, however often wonder why so many older backpackers(saw a few that look to be 55 or older) these days? I WONDER!! :D

Oh My God!!! 55 Years old !! And still travelling !!

I'll tell you a story, many years ago I was in a Gaijin house in Tokyo ( Farang cheap lodgings ), In walks this English guy who must have been 47 - 48, 95% of the people there were in their 20's and from various countries.

After a few looks and a quick touch of the dreadlocks from the resident Farangs ( Gaijins ), this guy began to talk, then he played Guitar, then he cooked an amazing meal for many people, then he blew peple away with his knowledge and charisma...... and then..........

He ended up sleeping with a Swedish girl that every young buck in that Gaijin house wanted but could never get, they even left Japan together to go to India.

Don't write the older guys off chaps, many have a wealth of experience, that money and a lonely planet book, cannot buy.

well said that man! :o

user-offline.pngOriginalPoster

For someone who has never been in Thailand before and doesn't know the drill (which probably describes the vast majority of backpackers), it's going to be pretty hard to find the "real interesting places" if they aren't written up in internationally available publications. Maybe with enough time you could drift from village to village and eventual find the unpublicized gems, but that's not a practical option for most backpackers. To them the Lonely Planet seems to save them flot of rom a "trial and error".

maybe they should Google a while to inform themselves on the countries where they are going.

there are thousands of different website about interresting places on the Net.

But IMHO there are more interesting in the Backpackers scene than to realy explore the country.

For someone who has never been in Thailand before and doesn't know the drill (which probably describes the vast majority of backpackers), it's going to be pretty hard to find the "real interesting places" if they aren't written up in internationally available publications. Maybe with enough time you could drift from village to village and eventual find the unpublicized gems, but that's not a practical option for most backpackers. To them the Lonely Planet seems to save them flot of rom a "trial and error".

maybe they should Google a while to inform themselves on the countries where they are going.

But IMHO there are more interesting in the Backpackers scene than to realy explore the country.

what happened to good old way of "word of mouth"you land in thailand say,go to chang mai,stay at a cheap guesthouse frequented by other backpackers,and you'll soon know all the best places to go to and the best way to get there.

...So why do you dislike backpackers?

Do you resent their scruffy appearance, which most of them in fact have not?

Does it irritate you when they are in front of you in the 7/11? Those of you who live in Bangkok won't be often going to the Khao San Road area anyway. Or

does it bug you that in the beerbars the ladies give a lot of attention to the handsome young man backpacker whilst neglecting you old pot bellied geezer though you have a fat wallet to spend on ladydrinks and so on? Or

maybe it is just that many farang Thailand residents seem to want to have Thailand to themselves, complaining there are too many farangs around wherever they go.

All of the above.

And get off my beach. :o

what happened to good old way of "word of mouth"you land in thailand say,go to chang mai,stay at a cheap guesthouse frequented by other backpackers,and you'll soon know all the best places to go to and the best way to get there.

When I was backpacking here in 1992, I threw my lonely planet away - backpackers are ok unless they are in a crowd.

The "back packer" infront of me at the Nong Khai immirgration booth that was so tall the camera was just getting shot of her t$ts was really offend when i translated what the immirgration officer was trying to tell her............. step back i need to take a picture of your face and not your t$ts.

Maybe i just don't like stupid people!

thats ok, i dislike people who mistranslate just because it makes them feel superior

i dislike people with bumbags or cellphones on their belts more than i dislike backpackers

I dislike people who use a hand as an avatar in an internet forum more than I dislike people with bumbags or cellphones on their belts or backpackers. :o

Edited by Maigo6