Septic Tanks...do We Really Need Them In Thailand!

mojo80

Any one else find them bothersome. But i guess not all houses have them here.

Yep..no sewers

If you get a 'bad smell' in your bathroom..check that the two small holes at the rear of the toilet, floor level, are still sealed. Also don't put anything down the toilet other than what purpose it is there for. Especially those plastic 'poking sticks'.

What does 'bothersome' mean? I installed 7 septic tanks and soakaways when I built a small hotel a few years ago. The septic tanks work fine and only need sucking out once every couple of years. They, the soakaways and the deep well all work fine :o (fingers crossed!)

Simon

What does 'bothersome' mean? I installed 7 septic tanks and soakaways when I built a small hotel a few years ago. The septic tanks work fine and only need sucking out once every couple of years. They, the soakaways and the deep well all work fine :o (fingers crossed!)

Simon

Really? I heard that septic tanks were lazy workers and wanted blowing everyday? :D

Edited by Geekfreaklover

What does 'bothersome' mean? I installed 7 septic tanks and soakaways when I built a small hotel a few years ago. The septic tanks work fine and only need sucking out once every couple of years. They, the soakaways and the deep well all work fine :D (fingers crossed!)

Simon

You don't work in Pattaya per chance? :D

:o

To all of you skeptics who do not use these :o

I had one installed outside, under-ground by our house a few years ago, location "The River Khwae Yai (Kan)" 25 meters from the out-flow pipe into the said River with flushing success. :D no <deleted> :D

post-3770-1232631891_thumb.jpg

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

You could always install a septic holding tank and have it pumped out periodically , dependant on how full of s###t you happen to be .

Generally septic tanks happen to be full of shit, but I did hear a tip about throwing a dead animal into the tank, as it helps for some reason. Not sure if there is any truth to that rumour, as we never had any problem with our septic tank, which was in the corner of the garden and never gave us any bother.

You could always install a septic holding tank and have it pumped out periodically , dependant on how full of s###t you happen to be .

Generally septic tanks happen to be full of shit, but I did hear a tip about throwing a dead animal into the tank, as it helps for some reason. Not sure if there is any truth to that rumour, as we never had any problem with our septic tank, which was in the corner of the garden and never gave us any bother.

This is true.

The dead animal helps a new septic tank quickly develop aerobic (or is it anaerobic) bacteria which then digests the crap. A properly working septic tank should then have pipes draining to a percolation area where the waste water filters through the ground where it is further treated. If done poperly - no pollution.

• 2 months later...
Any one else find them bothersome. But i guess not all houses have them here.

Yep..no sewers

If you get a 'bad smell' in your bathroom..check that the two small holes at the rear of the toilet, floor level, are still sealed. Also don't put anything down the toilet other than what purpose it is there for. Especially those plastic 'poking sticks'.

Normally, toilets flush/dump into the septic tank. Holes in the floor of some bathrooms are for the shower "grey water" to drain into, channeling the water into something that goes off property. Others have one in the shower and one outside in case you mop the floor and need it to drain. Bathroom and kitchen sinks all drain into the same pipe/channel going off property.

In most urban areas all this water will then flow into the street sewer that has openings all over the place. The odor you get walking along the streets, usually unpleasant, is just the chemical reaction of all the different liquids that get into the grey water, but no urine or feces.

In my particular moo baan, my house shower and sink drains are piped into a 12" square junction in a concrete pipe that runs along the back wall then down one side of the lot to the sewer under the sidewalk in front of the house. Each junction has a trap of sorts (i.e., each drain outlet from the house points down and is always submerged). There is another trap in each floor drain, such that it is, and under each sink. The only time we get odor in the house is when the water in the shallow traps in the bathroom floors evaporate.