Cooking Sausages

sirbrinkie

I quite often do that with those thick wurst-type sausages - seems to make 'em taste better IMHO. No idea why its an instruction on the pack though.

Just found this on a website tho:

Poaching sausages is unusual in the UK but fairly common in Europe and the US. This is probably because the best sausages for poaching are made with 100% meat and our sausages tend to contain cereal filler.

To poach sausages you put them in barely simmering water for 30 - 40 minutes. Be careful that you do not cook them too fast, otherwise the skins may burst. Once the sausage is cooked, it will keep warm in the poaching liquid for at least 30 minutes.

A poached sausage may not look too appetising. To add colour and a few crispy bits simply fry or grill the sausages for 5 minutes.

I quite often do that with those thick wurst-type sausages - seems to make 'em taste better IMHO. No idea why its an instruction on the pack though.

Poaching sausages is unusual in the UK but fairly common in Europe and the US. This is probably because the best sausages for poaching are made with 100% meat and our sausages tend to contain cereal filler.

To poach sausages you put them in barely simmering water for 30 - 40 minutes. Be careful that you do not cook them too fast, otherwise the skins may burst. Once the sausage is cooked, it will keep warm in the poaching liquid for at least 30 minutes.

A poached sausage may not look too appetising. To add colour and a few crispy bits simply fry or grill the sausages for 5 minutes.

Tks for that info - much appreciated - still not sure what they mean by "shock brown" maybe it is and F&B terminology

It might not be the healthy option but fried sausage is the most tasty if you shallow fry in animal fat.

Frying will give ample opportunity to 'brown' your sausage towards the end of cooking by raising the heat and ensuring that pink sausage comes out brown.

I think Delia Smith would agree.

I would imagine "shock brown" would mean a rapid cook on a very high heat to make them look "brown", nothing more un-appetising than a poached white sausage??? :o

"cooking" does not turn a sausage brown but frying or grilling does.

I would imagine "shock brown" would mean a rapid cook on a very high heat to make them look "brown", nothing more un-appetising than a poached white sausage??? :o

"cooking" does not turn a sausage brown but frying or grilling does.

fry1verb, fried, fry⋅ing, noun, plural fries. –verb (used with object) 1.to cook in a pan or on a griddle over direct heat, usually in fat or oil.2.Slang. to execute by electrocution in an electric chair.–verb (used without object) 3.to undergo cooking in fat or oil.4.Slang. to die by electrocution in an electric chair.–noun 5.a dish of something fried.6.a piece of french-fried potato.7.a party or gathering at which the chief food is fried, frequently outdoors: a fish fry.

Edited by LennyW

• 3 months later...

No doubt like me a few of you looked on the internet. Here am I cooking some sausages and I end up here.

I tried Shock Brown on it's own tried it with food tried it with Sausages and yup nothing. Only good old Thai Visa.

It's obvious they arepoached alread and telling you to toss them in some fat before browing but don't overcook them.

Gotta go mines are burning

• 2 months later...
These are my favourites....

post-35874-1232715950_thumb.jpg

Enjoy!

So you have a picture of a guy holding a fork and the words underneath

"Prick with a fork"

Confused

British humour I'm afraid. If you're confused then there is very little we can do to help.

BTW - Ainsley Harriot is a prick, and is holding a fork. But is it a description or instruction??

• 1 month later...

Some good info there: Thanks.

The SS sausage centre on Naklua Road (left hand side heading north) has some outstanding sausage offers this month (August 2009). It is definitely worth checking this place out, if you are in the area and enjoy quality sausage.

The usual way to cook sausages is to put a bit of water in the pan and poach or braise them to get some of the fat rendered out. Continue to cook them until the water is gone and then fry to a golden brown.

Do not use a lot of water as this will boil the flavor from the sausage.

I think what they are telling you is that the meat is raw and browning the sausage will not cook the meat. Eating raw meat in a browned skin may not be healthy. I put mine in a covered frying pan with a little water. The steam cooks the meat. After the water is boiled away there should be enough fat boiled out to brown the sausages.

I think what they are telling you is that the meat is raw and browning the sausage will not cook the meat. Eating raw meat in a browned skin may not be healthy. I put mine in a covered frying pan with a little water. The steam cooks the meat. After the water is boiled away there should be enough fat boiled out to brown the sausages.

Agreed, good tip that, a little bit of water in the frying pan is a very good way of achieving a tasty sausage.