Hello..

BambinA

Looking terrific, Bambi :o .

Alex Lah said:

Really interested in your answer Bambi as it would help me try to understand and adapt my learning methods for my Thai students and maybe you can see how they want you to learn things in a different way in Holland.

If I were you, I'd most certainly get in touch with Alex. It sounds very much as if you can help each other greatly.

Also, do as others have suggested and present your difficulties openly to the more receptive teachers and other students.

I believe you're very smart. However, if the expectations are not made explicit to you, you cannot follow them. Be proactive in making sure you get a clear understanding of the required analytic methods.

If you haven't already, google and read some of the research on this topic -- there's quite a lot (use keywords such as: learners, learning styles, international, intercultural, western scientific method/procedure/analysis, asian). Also, join a few "serious" online forums for students/scientists, or on-campus groups.

You are probably also adapting to somewhat different teaching/learning styles, as well as different scientific approaches.

All the best. We have no doubt you will succeed :D .

Edited by WaiWai

Hi guys,

I have been in Holland for 4 months. Studying here is quite difficult for me. I have less experience about how to analyze the experiment. In my class there are 98% PhD Students. I have several asian classmates (PhD) we have also the same problem about how to analyze the experimental . We finally found out that the way asian students have learnt is too different from western way.

Hi Bambina,

Great picture! Looks like it's time to learn how to ice skate! :o

I'm very glad to hear that you made it to Holland and have started your program. I'm sure you will do well pursuing your dream.

Best of luck and good fortune. โชคดี

Cheers,

Spee

Hi guys,

I have been in Holland for 4 months. Studying here is quite difficult for me. I have less experience about how to analyze the experiment. In my class there are 98% PhD Students. I have several asian classmates (PhD) we have also the same problem about how to analyze the experimental . We finally found out that the way asian students have learnt is too different from western way.

Just view it as a challenge!

Keep warm, and keep smiling.

All the best Bambi! :o

Hi Bambi,

Good to see you have not frozen to death, ha ha ha.

Must be horrible now for you in the cold weather.

Hey, I have a serious question about the difference in understanding how to learn things between Holland and Asia people.

Why, because I have big problems understanding why it is that my Asian students do not seem to understand what/how I try to learn them.

For example:

Have problem

Me explain, follow 7 step check process to find out root cause, always begin with step 1 no matter what the problem is.

Every time the students when analysing the problem jump to conclusion without going through the 7 step process which would allow them to think and effectively cancel out some source of the problem.

For example: Patient have flu.

Student tell: This is because now in Thailand is cold, here take medicine.

Student does not ask about what the patient eat, maybe it could be that the patient does not eat enough veggie and so the body has not enough resistance against bacteria/virus.

Really interested in your answer Bambi as it would help me try to understand and adapt my learning methods for my Thai students and maybe you can see how they want you to learn things in a different way in Holland.

Take care and please tell a bit more about how different the life is (how you see it) in Holland compared to Thailand.

Cheers,

:o

Alex

Good to see you're still hanging in there, Bambi- I've been very impressed by your progress so far!

As you and your Asian classmates have realised, English is not enough. There are some inherent sociocultural problems and limitations with the transmission-only educational models common in most Asian school systems. Where there are strengths in terms of uniform baseline performance on certain tasks, and in terms of memorisation of information for the Asian students, independent initiative and critical processing of that information are very difficult for students at higher academic levels in the Western cultures even when they have been better prepared for it (and they are not always in good school systems). I can easily imagine it would be a huge culture shock for students that have been discouraged from criticising received information all their lives.