Financial Crisis

Hopefully Thailand can avoid such a sticky mess and try a different; more sustainable path.

Yes, but sustainable means many different things to many ppl, but as a start, it would help if it started investing more in sustainable future. Increasing demand for electricity with new power stations being planned, energy imports to come from neighbouring countries, increasing levels of traffic in Thailand and flood risk cannot really be considered as long term sustainable.

most European countries depend on importing energy without the possibility of a "sustainable path". and new power stations cannot generate electricity out of thin air. for that purpose they need primary energy (e.g. fossile fuels or gas) which has to be imported.

Sorry, but please just read this, it will show you the financial crisis was predicted back in 2008 and suggested a way forward; http://www.neweconomics.org/publications/entry/a-green-new-deal

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• midas

• Naam

• flying

• 12DrinkMore

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes all very nice ^

Vested interests will block any such western adoption; but a few countries are making such changes alone thanks to their relative independence from the vampire octopus' clutches.

Uruguay

Iceland

Even zee Germans are trying in their own way.

Thailand has great leadership in sustainability from the King's "sustainable economy" teachings. You should have a research on these mr sommtaam

Energy; environment; agriculture; trade; all covered in practical ways. Basically self reliance first and trading on the excess. Applied from individual/ family level; community level; right up to the country as a whole.

I think these principles are now slowly starting to be implanted at a national level; where as past governments really just paid lip service. Obviously things can't completely change overnight. But financial stability would be a key step in the right direction.

Can already see much good work in sustainability principles and practice coming through the royal projects across the country; now being suggested through government rather than working alone- like moves to organic methods over mass production and chemical intensive as encouraged by the last lot to just churn out as much rubbish rice for cash as possible with no thought of the consequences.

Obviously the greed of the special interests; politicians and such are the chief danger to undoing such progress genes the need to set better and clear rules this time around to try and prevent such destructive practices as the ill thought out populism etc

Sorry, but please just read this, it will show you the financial crisis was predicted back in 2008 and suggested a way forward; http://www.neweconomics.org/publications/entry/a-green-new-deal

i am retired physicist and not inclined to waste my time reading green wet dreams which clash with reality. but i gave it a try and stopped after reading the usual rubbish:

To help prevent this from happening we are proposing a Green New Deal.

This entails re-regulating finance and taxation plus a huge transformational programme aimed at substantially reducing the use of fossil fuels and in the process tackling the unemployment and decline in demand caused by the credit crunch. It involves policies and novel funding mechanisms that will reduce emissions contributing to climate change and allow us to cope better with the coming energy shortages caused by peak oil.

wai2.gif

@ Naam, if ur retired then I would have expected more.

Actually, the report was published one year before the banking crisis happened, so give it some credit pls. The report was explaining that rising energy prices at the time was putting excessive pressure on world markets. Plus, it was not about replacing fossil fuels, it was suggesting there were ways of stimulating the economy through options like, feed in tariffs as had been occurring in Germany for many years, which had generated hundreds of thousands of jobs.

So, I must suggest that this context it should be viewed with more credit and not disdain.

Actually, the report was published one year before the banking crisis happened, so give it some credit pls. The report was explaining that rising energy prices at the time was putting excessive pressure on world markets. Plus, it was not about replacing fossil fuels, it was suggesting there were ways of stimulating the economy through options like, feed in tariffs as had been occurring in Germany for many years, which had generated hundreds of thousands of jobs.

So, I must suggest that this context it should be viewed with more credit and not disdain.

i gave it another try and stumbled over unrealistic and even ridiculous claims / demands such as

-250,000 green collar jobs in my home country Germany,

-Executing a bold new vision for a low-carbon energy system that will include making ‘every building a power station’. Involving tens of millions of properties...

-This will require a £50 billion-plus per year crash programme...

-Our initial proposals for financial renewal are inspired by those implemented in the 1930s. They involve the reduction of the Bank of England’s interest rate...

-and... and... and... and...

i gave it another try and stumbled over unrealistic and even ridiculous claims / demands such as

-Executing a bold new vision for a low-carbon energy system that will include making ‘every building a power station’. Involving tens of millions of properties...

-Our initial proposals for financial renewal are inspired by those implemented in the 1930s. They involve the reduction of the Bank of England’s interest rate...

How about introducing population curbs even if just to begin with its the ability of both prospective parents to show their financial ability to properly raise and educate a child themselves rather than them eventually having to rely on welfare to pay for the child? It sounds drastic to some, but I believe we are heading for drastic times.

How about introducing population curbs even if just to begin with its the ability of both prospective parents to show their financial ability to properly raise and educate a child themselves rather than them eventually having to rely on welfare to pay for the child? It sounds drastic to some, but I believe we are heading for drastic times.

Maybe there could be a mental health test to snare up the deranged conspiracy theorists and the risk of them propagating.

Visiting Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang and his Russian counterpart Dmitry Medvedev oversaw the signing of 38 agreements, including a deal to open a yuan-ruble swap line worth 150 billion yuan ($24.5 billion) in an apparent bid to reduce dependence on the US dollar.

Maybe there could be a mental health test to snare up the deranged conspiracy theorists and the risk of them propagating.

But in your case there is no need for a test because there is nothing there to be testedgiggle.gif

Visiting Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang and his Russian counterpart Dmitry Medvedev oversaw the signing of 38 agreements, including a deal to open a yuan-ruble swap line worth 150 billion yuan ($24.5 billion) in an apparent bid to reduce dependence on the US dollar.

Peanuts.

Twenty years of following the bond market on a daily basis, and I've never seen anything like what happened yesterday with the 10 year US treasury dropping 30 basis points to 1.80%.

I don't think the bounce back to the 2.15% range will last. My guess is that the drop to 1.80 was panic selling by shorts, but that doesn't mean the downward trend is over. My guess is that we're ultimately headed - - are you ready for this? - - sub 1%.

The woeful economic signals started a safe-haven rally in US Treasuries while a sharp fall in the dollar lent modest support to oil prices, though Brent crude still shed 1.1% to $82.72-a-barrel as weak demand continued to dominate pricing.

"A flight to Safe havens" yet a sharp decline in the dollar??? Hmm

There is immediate concern about Greece.

Its main stock market fell 10% at one point on Wednesday as it also got to grips with worries its government may collapse next year, putting the country's crucial bailout programme in danger.

Greece's anti-establishment and anti-austerity party, Syriza, has established a solid lead in the polls and the country's 10-year bond yield - the interest rate it pays to service its debts - climbed to 8.9% on Thursday as shares continued to bleed value.

- sky news

There is immediate concern about Greece.

Its main stock market fell 10% at one point on Wednesday as it also got to grips with worries its government may collapse next year, putting the country's crucial bailout programme in danger.

Greece's anti-establishment and anti-austerity party, Syriza, has established a solid lead in the polls and the country's 10-year bond yield - the interest rate it pays to service its debts - climbed to 8.9% on Thursday as shares continued to bleed value.

- sky news

There is a standard routine in Greece of electing a new government which campaigns on a populist promise to renege on its debts. It is a political game of musical chairs and Syriza are no different. As always Greece has to learn the hard way that there is no free lunch and that unless they keep to the implementation of structural forms the alternative is back in the mire. Always the begging bowl is outstretched with aggression. The markets know the Greek game now.

Share prices slide as 'perfect storm' threatens markets

Wall Street's Dow Jones, S&P 500 and Nasdaq indexes declined but recovered some ground after falling almost 1% on continuing concerns about global economic growth and the Ebola crisis.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29644214

FX round-up: IFO president describes ECB lurch towards QE as 'misguided'

"This is the fundamental problem of the Eurozone." Sinn also described the European Central Bank's (ECB) "lurch" towards quantitative easing as "misguided", adding that it would be an "unlawful fiscal bailout".

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/fx-round-ifo-president-describes-114300499.html

black-swan.jpgprinter-printing-money-16929034.jpg

The woeful economic signals started a safe-haven rally in US Treasuries while a sharp fall in the dollar lent modest support to oil prices, though Brent crude still shed 1.1% to $82.72-a-barrel as weak demand continued to dominate pricing.

Sharp decline? The Dollar is in a rather steep uptrend.

http://www.barchart.com/charts/futures/DX*0

Twenty years of following the bond market on a daily basis, and I've never seen anything like what happened yesterday with the 10 year US treasury dropping 30 basis points to 1.80%.

I don't think the bounce back to the 2.15% range will last. My guess is that the drop to 1.80 was panic selling by shorts, but that doesn't mean the downward trend is over. My guess is that we're ultimately headed - - are you ready for this? - - sub 1%.

That's possible, if your only other options for "first world safe haven" bonds are sub 1% in a depreciating currency. Imagine what could happen if the Dollar carry trade fully unwinds.

Yes I'm ready. Can the global downward trend ever really stop, much less ever reverse, without destroying the current debt-based financial system? The inevitable deflationary burst will be postponed as long as possible.

Sharp decline? The Dollar is in a rather steep uptrend.

http://www.barchart.com/charts/futures/DX*0

mccw is excused. his main source of information are excerpts from 8 weeks old "sky news" laugh.png

The German 10-year yield hit a record low of 0.718% today as people rush to safety.

Is Germany much safer than the US?

the yield of a 10Y government bond does not necessarily reflect the economic health or credit risk of a country.

Just a big - ish dip on a day where other safe havens rallied.

I am not disputing the recent dollar strengthening.

Was interested to see if anyone called a divergence in the view of safe havens.

Ie maybe coz Ebola in USA spreading so a move out of short term cash and in to longer term securities for example. Maybe just a natural drop after the recent run/ profit taking. Just the day occurred was on a big bull day for other safe havens struck me as a bit unusual timing + the steepness and size.

the steepness and size...

was and is most of the times caused by the usual suspects reasons, namely the publication of one of the U.S. economic indicators. however, quite often a bag of rice toppling in a Northern Manchuria warehouse, a price increase of beer, the results of a bunch of gurus poking their noses, postings in Thaivisa by currency eggsburts and similar major events can move exchange rates.

Just a big - ish dip on a day where other safe havens rallied.

I am not disputing the recent dollar strengthening.

Was interested to see if anyone called a divergence in the view of safe havens.

Ie maybe coz Ebola in USA spreading so a move out of short term cash and in to longer term securities for example. Maybe just a natural drop after the recent run/ profit taking. Just the day occurred was on a big bull day for other safe havens struck me as a bit unusual timing + the steepness and size.

Ebola in US spreading? What?