New Members

Jockstar

.... a small number of members always ticking off about petty problems with life in Thailand. Always problems everywhere, but here is better than most places..

Nowhere is perfect, but Thailand is better than most - better than the UK for sure. And when the post takes 47 days to arrive, sometimes you just want to complain to somebody, even if you know it'll do no good :o .
...the attitude of some 'exalted members' puts newbies off contributing....!

I know how you feel - as do I still when there's a topic that all the long time members are replying to, and I don't have a clue who or what they're talking about - it's like butting in on a private conversation, so I stay out. :D

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been following this forum since moving to Thailand end of last June. Before that was for some years in Indonesia, eventually managed to tunnel my way out! Never again!

Forum basically very active and lively, enjoy reading it. Only thing gets me a bit is a small number of members always ticking off about petty problems with life in Thailand. Always problems everywhere, but here is better than most places.

Only a few posts so far, but hope to improve.

Good idea to start a thread for newbies, the attitude of some 'exalted members' puts newbies off contributing.

Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here!

Hi John,

Welcome! :o

how about some stories of yr time in Indonesia in the relevent section?

TIA

Six lots of six months in Pattaya. You'll pick it up soon    :o

Maybe he just walks away from bright lights and loud music, rather than towards it - as most members of this forum do, like moths to a flame... :D

I'm a little confused when I am in Pattaya. It is a shame so many young women have poor eyesight. I mean, they keep calling me handsome man and now I KNOW better than that.....

Six lots of six months in Pattaya. You'll pick it up soon    :o

Maybe he just walks away from bright lights and loud music, rather than towards it - as most members of this forum do, like moths to a flame... :D

I'm a little confused when I am in Pattaya. It is a shame so many young women have poor eyesight. I mean, they keep calling me handsome man and now I KNOW better than that.....

They've all been to Ireland and kissed the Blarney Stone :D

Hi John,

Welcome! :o

how about some stories of yr time in Indonesia in the relevent section?

TIA

Thanks for all the replies.....

Not sure I want to go on about my time in Indonesia, all I'll say is that during my time there I saw the country slip from the Third World to the Fourth Rate. I'd rather concentrate on life in Thailand. But if there is a relevent section (?) I'd be happy to contribute.

Not sure I want to go on about my time in Indonesia, all I'll say is that during my time there I saw the country slip from the Third World to the Fourth Rate. I'd rather concentrate on life in Thailand. But if there is a relevent section (?) I'd be happy to contribute.

Try visas etc. to other countries. :o

I am new also...married to a Thai ex-pat for 15 years, and have visited Thailand approx 20 times since we married. I met my wife in the U.S. after she had emigrated from Thailand. She likes to visit Thailand once or twice a year, but doesn't seem particularly interested in moving back permanantly when we retire. I am ambivalent about living full-time in Thailand, but part of that may be due to the fact that most of my time there is spent on a seemingly endless rounds of eating, shopping, visiting her relatives, etc etc. After a couple of weeks I need to go home and back to work so I can relax again. Also, I like outdoor activities that I can't really enjoy in Thailand (bike riding, skiing, running, etc). I had been talking to my wife about getting a place in Phuket and living there part-time, but the Tsunami ended talk of that. Wife is a city girl, and it's Bangkok or nothing. She is happy in the US, and has plenty of Thai and American friends. Still, I could afford to retire to Thailand tomorrow, and sometimes when the weather sucks or I am having a bad day, I begin the think about it...heading back in 3 weeks for a long-overdue vacation, with short side trips to Burma and Laos.

OK, newbies section.

Hello, new here.  But not new to LOS.  Been going and spending 6 months a year each for about 6 years.

Mostly in Pattaya playing golf with some buds. 

But I am kind of naive about some of the stuff I see there.. :o

I'm not a golfer but have always thought playing golf in Pattaya is the only plausible excuse for being there.

OK, another newbie! And yes, I found this site as a result of the tsunami.

Right after the wave, I was on vacation, sitting here at home, bone chilling cold out, and just surfing the web looking for news of the tsunami. For two weeks I worked on a site out of Phuket helping relatives locate information about missing loved ones. Most of these families didn't have a clue on how to find things on the Internet, searching hospital lists, embassy lists, etc, including viewing photos of deceased to help in any way I could. Because it came to a point that IDs could now be made only by DNA, that site ceased operations.

From a link on that site, I found a local bar in Khao Lak's web site that had many photos of the area. I have since been emailing with the owner of the bar as well as one of his friends, another business owner. With their help, I have been organizing donation drives here in Minnesota for toys for the children of Khao Lak. If I can help to bring a smile to a child's face, I know all my time and efforts are worthy!

Since spending time "seeing" the area around Khao Lak, I am in love! What a beautiful, beautiful country. If the rest of Thailand is anything like Khao Lak, the people living there are truly blessed!

We had been thinking about going to Hawaii in the spring of 2006, but I have changed my mind. I want to come to Thailand!

I have been reading the rest of the site here, learning tons and tons! And the advice, tips and humor here are unsurpassed! Maybe by the time my trip rolls around I will feel like a native! LOL!

Besides when it is -28C here (it was this morning) dreaming of a holiday in Thailand makes it seem not so cold! smile!

Cindy

Minneapolis, Minnesota US

glitter1021, what a nice post. Sure is a pleasure reading posts like yours.

Welcome to the madhouse and we hope you have a nice stay, be sure to take your meds and behave :D

See you around the forum, if not in the Land of Smiles itself.

:o

Hello everybody!

About 60 days to go and my sixth trip to los. starts.

I´ve been in many places around thailand since 2002 and now i wanted to see something new.

Any tips?

Thanks and bye4now,samee the finnish flash :o

These are the places i´ve allready seen...

BKK,Pattaya,Hua-hin,Buriram,Surin,Chiang mai,Chiang rai,Mae salong,Mae sai,

Kanchanaburi,Trat,...Ko Samui,Koh Samet,Koh Chang...i think that´s all

Hello everybody!

I´ve been in many places around thailand since 2002 and now i wanted to see something new.

Any tips?

Thanks and bye4now,samee the finnish flash :D

Obvious - Phuket! :o

Hello everybody!

Any tips?

Thanks and bye4now,samee the finnish flash :o

Koh Lanta.

Hello, everybody. (I think I am still a newbie.)

:-)

Is that you pictured in that avatar Anna ? :D

A few people asked Anna that question when she started Doc.Purley for aesthetic reasons only of course. :D

Personally, I think it is a picture of her twin sister. :D

You were right, chuchok. :o

So why are you taking pics of your sisters crotch? Not that we mind. :D:D:D

A few people asked Anna that question when she started Doc.Purley for aesthetic reasons only of course. :D

A bit shy to show my real pic. :D

Go on. you can do it.

Go on. you can do it.

ya, but 'coz of privacy. hehe

:o Hi everyone and a happy new year. i have been following the site for about 2 years now. I find it very helpful, lots of interesting posts. I live in Sakon Nakhon have been in Thailand for about 3 years married to a beautiful Thai lady, and have a beautiful daughter 14 nonths old. I have been in Africa since December working, sattelite tv went down over xmas period, so i found the forum excelent for keeping me updated with the events in Phuket.

Best regards. Geordie

Keep up the good work

Im a newbie and this is my first post. Nice avatar Anna. Not in the Kingdom now as I am in Bolivia but will be returning in Sept. Whats the BKK subway like? Does it go anywhere neat KSR?

The subway is good. But it did have problems this week. There was a crash between 2 trains. The closest it goes to KSR is Hualampong. Its then only a short taxi or tuk-tuk ride away.