Kingston 64 Gb Usb Flash Drive

sorensen

Haven't seen any 64GB flash drives for sale in Thailand yet. Don't think I've even seen any 32GB versions either but 16GB are easy to find. The main complaint you hear with 64GB drives is the low read and write speeds. Even leading brands like Corsair get some poor ratings from buyers on sites like New Egg.

I haven't seen a 64GB stick for sale in Thailand yet, however you always pay a premium for higher-capacity drives - it will always be less expensive to buy multiple lower-capacity drives.

Yes, buying multiple lower-capacity drives is cheaper. A typical case of Supply and Demand. Make in bulk and production costs go down.

I have a friend who has a 32Gb thumb drive, which he bought in or from Europe. This one was intresting as a barrel design with a waterproof cap when you unscrewed to get access to the USB

The problem with advancing technology is that I now have a box full of "lower capacity units" in Kingston USB drivem SD cards, XD cards, Smartmedia. I even have a 1Gb MMC card still in its bubble wrap, which I bought for my phone and never put in, and then lost the phone...

Hi :o

There's always the risk of losing data with those - the bigger they get, the more data can get lost when it screws up! Last Friday for the second time i screwed up a Kingston 8GB thumb drive when the computer it was attached to decided to crash (MS Word/Adobe crash, Windows froze and had to push "reset").

The first time it happened (some months ago) the thumb drive didn't survive, wasn't correctly detected anymore ("a device connected to a USB port has malfunctioned...") but this time only the FAT had gone apparently, i was able to rescue the data with some nifty utility called "GetDataBack for FAT" and then reformat that thumb drive and now it's working again.

Smaller thumb drives (2 and 4 GB) did not get damaged in any way when such thing happened (i have another one, 2 GB, permanently connected to that same computer and it's still going strong) so i guess "the bigger the more sensible".

Best regards.....

Thanh

I had a Kingston Data Traveller 2GB fail on me recently as well, only a couple of weeks old and dead. Tried reformatting etc. but no luck. Nothing of importance and only 199 baht so not worth returning but maybe there is a problem with Kingston drives. I usually use SanDisk or Imation, some still going strong after 3 years constant use even if they're small by todays standards. Have to see if I can find it and maybe test drive Thahn's suggestion.

http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

That software is GREAT! It managed to restore every single file in every directory on that drive, only the directory's names were lost (renamed to something like "directory001 etc) but the file names were as before.

It even found files i had previously deleted, a whole bunch of them! Those were placed into another directory named "lost files".

This is well worth the 70 USD they charge for it, however if you need it for FAT and NTFS you need to purchase two different versions, which makes it rather expensive! But it DOES a good job.

Best regards......

Thanh

I had a Kingston Data Traveller 2GB fail on me recently as well, only a couple of weeks old and dead. Tried reformatting etc. but no luck. Nothing of importance and only 199 baht so not worth returning but maybe there is a problem with Kingston drives.

"Kingston" is the brand name on the product, but maybe not made by them.

I bought a stick in TukCom from a "Reliable" shop and when I got home, I tried to register it on the Kingston website listed on the blister pack

Back came the email saying I have an incorrect serial number and to recheck it. In reality, the Serial was correct, but the product was counterfeit. It is still working to my knowledge,

Well at least the ones i got (ALL of them!) have a "Synnex" warranty so i guess they are genuine... i have only one still in it's package so i tried it, here's the e-mail i got:

The flash memory product you inquired about has been verified to be an authentic Kingston product. All Kingston memory modules carry a manufacturer warranty. Thank you for selecting Kingston.

:D

Best regards.....

Thanh

I will stick to my collection of older thumbs now I have read about usb 3..

With the speeds that interface can provide, theres no reason why entire OS and data on stick cant live in my pocket.. Truly portable and personal computing. Tried it with pendrive linux and various flash based tools but its just kinda slow on usb2.

• 5 months later...
Hi :)

That software is GREAT! It managed to restore every single file in every directory on that drive, only the directory's names were lost (renamed to something like "directory001 etc) but the file names were as before.

It even found files i had previously deleted, a whole bunch of them! Those were placed into another directory named "lost files".

This is well worth the 70 USD they charge for it, however if you need it for FAT and NTFS you need to purchase two different versions, which makes it rather expensive! But it DOES a good job.

Best regards......

Thanh

Thanh, if that software blew yr socks off, you must try file scavenger from www.quetek.com

They have better pricing for a one-size, fits-all 'personal' version as well as having versions with multiple license and RAID recovery options.

I have used this software about 4 times on some pretty screwed up HD's and never lost a file the data I was looking for.