Animal Welfare.

LoveBug

Is there a law in Thailand against cruelty to animals? Is there dogfighting in Bangkok? I'm just concerned that there might be one in the area where I live due to things going on very late at night. I could be wrong though. I really hope I am. But if there's some illegal dog business going on here, I'd like to report it to some animal welfare group so they could investigate. In the Philippines, they have what's called the Philippine Animal Welfare Society. And of course, PETA.

Just concerned. BTW, I live in Bangkok temporarily as a retired expat. I don't work.

Is there a law in Thailand against cruelty to animals? Is there dogfighting in Bangkok? I'm just concerned that there might be one in the area where I live due to things going on very late at night. I could be wrong though. I really hope I am. But if there's some illegal dog business going on here, I'd like to report it to some animal welfare group so they could investigate. In the Philippines, they have what's called the Philippine Animal Welfare Society. And of course, PETA.

Just concerned. BTW, I live in Bangkok temporarily as a retired expat. I don't work.

It might be an idea to post this on the Bangkok forum as the people there will know who to contact.

Yes there are animal anti-cruelty laws - the problem is, like so many other laws - they are not enforced.

The Thai attitude toward animals is the worst.

Abuse , neglect , exploit and then skin it alive and BBQ it.

I went to one of those elephant " Sanctuaries" near Chang Mai. What a despicable tourist trap. Sanctuary? Since when is getting hit on the head repeatedy any form of sanctuary?

I've been told by vet that the baby elephants, Lily and Lucky that are exploited on the local beaches by the " Socially conscious"( by Singpore standards ? ) Laguna resort at Bang Tao on Phuket are way too young to be separated from mother's milk and that often the elephant mother is shot to facilitate tearing her baby away.

And the Laguna stable...ugh. Horses that were that were death standing-barely. Actually one had hooves so distorted, he couldn't stand . I was told that one of the grooms, totally untrained and unqualified was clipping the hooves so short, they bled. I believethe horse actually starved to death. In the UK or US those owners would have done jail time and never, ever been allowed to own horses again ...( Yeah, I have pics )

Just disgusting...heart breaking If most tourists knew, I really think they'd pick another destination..

Mmmm

What happened to the Dept store in Bangkok that was keeping tigers in a small cement enclosure ?

I stopped buying from a local pet store after it started carrying birds, last week I see they have an eagle suffering in the hot sun, can't even spread his clipped wings in the tiny cage he's in.

It's not just the Thai attitude to animal welfare which is bad, it's Asian values in general. Thais will feed hungry stray cats and dogs and seldom kill an animal for fun. Check out how animals are treated in the Philippines, Vietnam, China and Indonesia...not to mention the Arab countries and you will see more compassion here.

Standards definitely need improving though, one sad memory was of a lonely deer at Suan Siam water park shut up in a concrete pen with hardly any light and a mud floor.

To the OP, the police can put a stop to animal cruelty. Last week a middle aged couple upcountry were nabbed collecting stray (and pet) dogs, killing them and making curries. So go to the police, if no joy...find a friend with police connection, still no joy....go to the media.

It's not just the Thai attitude to animal welfare which is bad, it's Asian values in general. Thais will feed hungry stray cats and dogs and seldom kill an animal for fun. Check out how animals are treated in the Philippines, Vietnam, China and Indonesia...not to mention the Arab countries and you will see more compassion here.

Standards definitely need improving though, one sad memory was of a lonely deer at Suan Siam water park shut up in a concrete pen with hardly any light and a mud floor.

To the OP, the police can put a stop to animal cruelty. Last week a middle aged couple upcountry were nabbed collecting stray (and pet) dogs, killing them and making curries. So go to the police, if no joy...find a friend with police connection, still no joy....go to the media.

while I concur with the above, I would be tempted to bring it to light in a more discreet manner if possible.

The Thai society not even care about Human well-being, why they should concern about animals.

This is unfortunately true- animals are very far down the list of priorities for Thais... unless you count their coddled poodle pets in sweaters. :o Where I used to live in the south they fight everything- chickens (cocks), dogs, buffalo, even fish. They also periodically do mass poisonings- a slow, agonizing death indeed... and with full support from the local authorities, as far as I can tell. The worst karma ever would be to come back in your next life as any domestic animal in Thailand (or Asia, period).

The Thai society not even care about Human well-being, why they should concern about animals.

A sweeping generalisation that is utter rubbish.

It's like saying all Farangs are fat, sure some are, but many are not.

I have 3 dogs and they are treated very well.

Edited by Maigo6

while I concur with the above, I would be tempted to bring it to light in a more discreet manner if possible.

I second this - be careful, it is probably organised or at least protected by (protection racket) local mafia - like most illegal gambing dens - these people do not mess around. Pass it on to one of these (anon is probably still best):

National Animal Organisations

• The Thai Animal Guardians Association (Thai AGA) is a non-profit organisation concerned directly with animal rights and animal welfare in Thailand
    At: 45 Moo 4, Sukrapiban 3 Road, Saphansoong, Bangkok 10240
    Tel: 02 728 1658
    Fax: 02 373 2886
    Website
  • Thai Society for The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (TSPCA)
    At: 120 Kasemkij Building, Room 301, Silom Rd, Bangkok 10500
    Tel: 02 236 2176
    Fax: 02 266 5104
    Website

Local Animal Organisations

Bangkok

• SCAD (previously Soi Dog Rescue) aims to improve the lives of Bangkok's street dogs and, in so doing, create a healthier environment
    At: 120/197 Thana City, Bang Phli, Samut Prakarn 10540
    Tel: 08 1611 2865
    Website

and leave it all to them.

On the street behind our land (backdoor exit) further in on the soi there is atleast two families breeding roosters for cockfighting.

Big, mean things, but they seem to make money from it...

Laws exists, enforcement does not.

Edited by TAWP

It's like saying all Farangs are fat, sure some are, but many are not.

I have 3 dogs and they are treated very well.

good for you, you are the exemption who confirmed the rule :o

you looked at Thailand's human rights record lately?

Animals in Thailand can have an Hi-Tec healthcare that is noteven available for the majority of Thai people

http://www.thonglorpet.com/index_en.php

So sorrt to say, but its rather futile to open a topic about animal welfare when millions of thai people are deprived from

you looked at Thailand's human rights record lately?

Animals in Thailand can have an Hi-Tec healthcare that is noteven available for the majority of Thai people

http://www.thonglorpet.com/index_en.php

So sorrt to say, but its rather futile to open a topic about animal welfare when millions of thai people are deprived from even a decant healthcare, good education and housing.